Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 81

Thread: MotU Redesign Challenge #78 - Castaspella

  1. #1
    Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Northern part
    Posts
    5,846

    MotU Redesign Challenge #78 - Castaspella

    Indeed, the young queen of Mystacore is up for the line of characters getting a makeover.

    One of the most shining students of the great sorcerer Norwyn, Castaspella was deemed as so prodigal in the ways of magic that she was chosen as the next ruler of the mystic kingdom of Mystacor, possibly setting the presidence that she is the greatest magic-user that the kingdom has so far produced.

    She was not the only student of Norwyn, who also tutored Castaspellas former friend Lightspinner. Who ultimately became to impatient to master the bright arts, and became transformed into Castaspellas nemesis, Shadow Weaver.

    An in-depth profile can be found if you click this link. ( Hey, Val? Has there ever been some ideas about creating a character-profile section on the .Org? Seems like a given to me.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castaspella

    A funny thing, is that her toy mentions that she is an "Enchantress that hypnotizes", ( sort of like a female Mandrake, for all of you comic-strip fans) but to my knowledge that power was never used in the cartoon.


    Visual reference
    -----------------
    The toy:
    http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/...taspella.shtml
    http://www.mastersunbound.com/toys/c...lla_front.html


    Cardback:


    Filmation cartoon:
    http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/animat...s-models.shtml


    If somebody has more and better pics of the Filmation-version, then please post them, they're really hard to find.

    Let's lay down the rules, shall we? ; )

    All people who choose to participate will have two weeks to come up with a redesign for Castaspella. You can use any medium you wish. You can sketch, paint make a 3-D model, make a sprite, make a custom action figure, whatever you want. Its entirely up to you!

    As well, you don't have to force yourself to make your design conform to the new or old cartoon or comic book's style. Be as drastic in your redesign as you see fit. Whatever makes you happy.

    If you can't think of a new design, or just hate the idea of working on this character, you do not have to feel obligated to participate in this particular challenge. You will still be free to participate in any future challenges you wish.
    Last edited by Predabot; November 10, 2007 at 06:01pm.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Yaoi HuntressE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    125
    Here's my version of her.



    Designer Notes: Being such a prestigious spellcaster and political figure I decided to go with a kind of glamorous style with her outfit. The wheel seemed rather cumbersome so I have these streams of magical energy that circle around her body whenever she uses her magic.

    I see her being a bit of a celebrity due to all her fame. While she can get a little haughty, she's wise and can easily back up any claim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yaoi HuntressE; November 9, 2007 at 06:34pm.
    I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior HordeMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Posts
    1,735
    That's really cool, Yaoi!

    I like the design of her dress. ^_^
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Avril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    227
    This is the best I got
    *Simply Purrrfect!*


    http://ave606.deviantart.com

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Yaoi HuntressE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeMonkey View Post
    That's really cool, Yaoi!

    I like the design of her dress. ^_^
    Thanks a lot.
    I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com

  6. #6
    Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Northern part
    Posts
    5,846
    Cool as usual Huntresse. Do you envision Mysticore to be an asian-looking realm in context of architecture and stuff btw? I'm thinking about the asian features you've given her outfit.

    And Avril, that was precisely what I was thinking of! Well done, I'm sure many of the artists will find that helpful. I hope you'll be entering the contest yourself, aye? ^^

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaoi HuntressE View Post
    Here's my version of her.



    Designer Notes: Being such a prestigious spellcaster and political figure I decided to go with a kind of glamorous style with her outfit. The wheel seemed rather cumbersome so I have these streams of magical energy that circle around her body whenever she uses her magic.

    I see her being a bit of a celebrity due to all her fame. While she can get a little haughty, she's wise and can easily back up any claim.
    Last edited by Predabot; November 10, 2007 at 12:19pm.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Yaoi HuntressE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Cool as usual Huntresse. Do you envision Mysticore to be an asian-looking realm in context of architecture and stuff btw? I'm thinking about the asian features you've given her outfit.

    And Avril, that was precisely what I was thinking of! Well done, I'm sure many of the artists will find that helpful. I hope you'll be entering the contest yourself, aye? ^^
    The Asian features of the dress just came to me. Now that I think of it, I could see Mysticore being a multi-cultural melting pot with a variety of cultural influences.
    I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior Avril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    And Avril, that was precisely what I was thinking of! Well done, I'm sure many of the artists will find that helpful. I hope you'll be entering the contest yourself, aye? ^^
    I love that licensing bible. Wish I actually owned it lol

    And yes, I'm trying to think of how to put her outfit together that says 'hypnotizes'
    *Simply Purrrfect!*


    http://ave606.deviantart.com

  9. #9
    Heroic Lurker! bootleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    All people who choose to participate will have two weeks to come up with a redesign for Shokoti. You can use any medium you wish. You can sketch, paint make a 3-D model, make a sprite, make a custom action figure, whatever you want. Its entirely up to you!
    Predabot: you have a copy and paste typo there my friend! by the way, what's our due date for this challenge?


    Quote Originally Posted by Avril View Post
    I love that licensing bible. Wish I actually owned it lol
    Avril: thanks for posting that reference pic--do you have any more images from that licensing bible? not just pics of castaspella, but any of the POP characters?

    Yaoi HuntressE: great redesign! as others have mentioned, i really like the asian flair you gave to her costume. and the spirals of magic energy emanating from her hands add a nice touch.
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

  10. #10
    Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Northern part
    Posts
    5,846
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    Predabot: you have a copy and paste typo there my friend! by the way, what's our due date for this challenge?
    Aarrgh. Yes, I did have.

    The deadline is set to two weeks into the future, wich would be the 24th of November.

    Avril: How about some patterns that make use of the Op-art effect? It can sometimes look really confusing.

    You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Op-art

    An example would perhaps be something like this. http://www.davenport.k12.ia.us/curri...mart/opart.JPG

    How about a pattern like that on her outfit in one or two places? And then magical energies, with similar strange patterns in them?
    Last edited by Predabot; November 10, 2007 at 06:18pm.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Avril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post

    Avril: thanks for posting that reference pic--do you have any more images from that licensing bible? not just pics of castaspella, but any of the POP characters?
    Yes I do, I think I have all the pages from it
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Avril: How about some patterns that make use of the Op-art effect? It can sometimes look really confusing.
    I kept the jewels on her gauntlets for the hypnotising... not sure what else to put on her except for the umbrella swirls that make people dizzy lol
    Last edited by Avril; November 10, 2007 at 10:02pm.
    *Simply Purrrfect!*


    http://ave606.deviantart.com

  12. #12
    Heroic Lurker! bootleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Avril View Post
    Yes I do, I think I have all the pages from it
    i sent you a PM!
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Avril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    227
    Just replied.

    Doh, my Castaspella looks too much like a Teela lol

    Well, here it is ~shrug~



    Thinking of her as the Sorceress of Mysticore being almost a forest dweller, like my Double Trouble was kind of like Man At Arms and Mermista was a greek warrior. Tried to keep the lightning bolt-esque things from her toy and filmation self. She's almost an Earth mother or something.
    Last edited by Avril; November 11, 2007 at 09:25am.
    *Simply Purrrfect!*


    http://ave606.deviantart.com

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Yaoi HuntressE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Avril View Post
    Just replied.
    Thinking of her as the Sorceress of Mysticore being almost a forest dweller, like my Double Trouble was kind of like Man At Arms and Mermista was a greek warrior. Tried to keep the lightning bolt-esque things from her toy and filmation self. She's almost an Earth mother or something.
    It's a good start, I hope to see some color on it. BTW, is the lightning bolt on her leg a tattoo?
    I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com

  15. #15
    Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Northern part
    Posts
    5,846
    Great redesign Avril, especially like the little touches of detail on her wristbands and the lightning-bolt on her leg. If you want to, I could team up with you and help you out with the colours.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Avril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaoi HuntressE View Post
    It's a good start, I hope to see some color on it. BTW, is the lightning bolt on her leg a tattoo?
    It's on her pants... at least, that's what I envisioned, but now you mention it, I could see her not wearing leggings and having that on her skin... hmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Great redesign Avril, especially like the little touches of detail on her wristbands and the lightning-bolt on her leg. If you want to, I could team up with you and help you out with the colours.
    I wasn't planning on colouring it, so if you're bored, go ahead lol

    Edit - ok, here is my coloured version. I just don't have the patience to sit and do this a lot lol
    Last edited by Avril; November 11, 2007 at 11:48pm.
    *Simply Purrrfect!*


    http://ave606.deviantart.com

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Monikasvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    634
    I like the haircut of Yaoi's version and barbarian princess -style of Avril's. Thayt reminds me more Gabrielle than Teela

    My weapon choice is heavily inspired by Buffalo-Bill-Mans Entrapta & Mermista designs.
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

  18. #18
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Avril View Post
    It's on her pants... at least, that's what I envisioned, but now you mention it, I could see her not wearing leggings and having that on her skin... hmmm



    I wasn't planning on colouring it, so if you're bored, go ahead lol

    Edit - ok, here is my coloured version. I just don't have the patience to sit and do this a lot lol
    She looks fantastic.

  19. #19
    Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Northern part
    Posts
    5,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Avril View Post
    It's on her pants... at least, that's what I envisioned, but now you mention it, I could see her not wearing leggings and having that on her skin... hmmm

    I wasn't planning on colouring it, so if you're bored, go ahead lol

    Edit - ok, here is my coloured version. I just don't have the patience to sit and do this a lot lol
    http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs22/f/20..._by_Ave606.jpg
    Well, well, looks like you got the colour-part well in hand, I must say. You should do more colour-stuff, because it looks like you can really add some extra spice to your drawings that way.

    Well done!

    Moni: Seems like you went for a more toy-inspired look. I gotta say... those are some freaky patterns! 0_0 Hypnotizing indeed. Btw, I notice something that may be just my mind playing tricks on me, but it looks like you may have changed her nationality a bit? She looks a little bit Latina to me. Am I right?
    Last edited by Predabot; November 12, 2007 at 08:47am.

  20. #20
    Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,502
    If I can get my house sorted in time... I'd really like to enter this, I have an odd take on her.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

    DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

    Commissions - [TBA]

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Monikasvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    634
    Predabot: latina feeling was an accident. I made the face freehand and just tryed do little different appearance than clone of classic barbie. But now when you ask, I think it was Shakira singing in backround when I colored the picture.

    super-munkyboy: yes, we are waiting...
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

  22. #22
    Keeper of secrets beyond the legends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    550
    OK, so I know I am not the first post. I just decided to post my design before I see too many other designs cuz I want to stand strong with what I came up with. Would love to hear what people think either way. Helps me to know perspectives for my growth.

    Well here she is, let me know what you think. Can't wait to see what everone else comes up with. Anxious to see how it all works. It's my first challenge. Woo hoo!



    Hugs
    Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

  23. #23
    Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Northern part
    Posts
    5,846
    BTL, that looks fantastic! You've really emphasized the lightning-theme on her uniform and there's something strange eye-cathing about the hypnotic stone in her disc.

    WELCOME TO THE CHALLENGE!!

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Yaoi HuntressE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by beyond the legends View Post
    OK, so I know I am not the first post. I just decided to post my design before I see too many other designs cuz I want to stand strong with what I came up with. Would love to hear what people think either way. Helps me to know perspectives for my growth.

    Well here she is, let me know what you think. Can't wait to see what everone else comes up with. Anxious to see how it all works. It's my first challenge. Woo hoo!



    Hugs
    Good luck on your first contest. Anyway, I like what you did with the wheel.
    I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Bak-or's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    212
    Here's mine i just used paintshop so its a bit basic

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bak-or - Evil Master of Mean-Spiritedness

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •