Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lego's Chima: Brilliant idea or ripoff

Heroic Warrior
    Total Thundercats ripoff and another piece of crap lego based series like ninjago, cartoon network I hate you.

Heroic Warrior
    Cartoon Network is going to be even more crap because they're putting more live action shows on there (it's called CARTOON NETWORK people!). I swear the only things I watch on that channel anymore are the original Looney Tunes (the new series is garbage, though the grilled cheese song was funny), the original Tom and Jerry, Adventure Time, and Regular Show. Bring back the Hanna-Barbara cartoons and all of the cartoons I grew up with (Powerpuff Girls, Time Squad, Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Samurai Jack, etc.)

So over at the Lego website they have character bios for the minifigures:
    "Laval
    Laval is the headstrong prince of the Lion Tribe who still has a lot to learn about what it means to be a leader. He may want others to see him as a powerful and responsible adult, but he’s still a big kid at heart. Duty doesn’t always take priority over having a good time. But what’s the harm in pulling a little prank every so often? Like a lot of kids, he has an insatiable curiosity and a relentless flair for challenging the rules. This can be a problem since the Lions are all about following and enforcing rules. Can Laval figure this out and become the great warrior and leader his tribe expects of him?"

Sound like anyone you know!?

Off to read more now..

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    So over at the Lego website they have character bios for the minifigures:
    "Laval
    Laval is the headstrong prince of the Lion Tribe who still has a lot to learn about what it means to be a leader. He may want others to see him as a powerful and responsible adult, but he’s still a big kid at heart. Duty doesn’t always take priority over having a good time. But what’s the harm in pulling a little prank every so often? Like a lot of kids, he has an insatiable curiosity and a relentless flair for challenging the rules. This can be a problem since the Lions are all about following and enforcing rules. Can Laval figure this out and become the great warrior and leader his tribe expects of him?"

Sound like anyone you know!?

Off to read more now..
    Lion-o ripoff.

Can't it be a brilliant idea AND a ripoff?

This thing is a 100% 2011 ThunderCats rip-off. Hands down. Someone's gonna get sued (if WB bothers the slightest about ThunderCats).
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

Heroic Warrior
    Good Lord, you guys need to stop with the conspiracy theories, lol. Name one thing on TV right now that you can't look at and make a comparison to something else that has been on. The reason Thundercats is not on is because it failed. The reason the toy line is gone is because it failed. Lego has found a sound formula in its shows which appeals to both kids and adults, not just those trying to hang on to 80's nostalgia. Lego as a brand is proven successful because you can be so diverse and mix and match. Star Wars can be with Ninjago and Super Heroes can battle Legends of Chima.
    As far as WB suing Lego Chima premiers on a WB network. Lego and WB already partner with the DC comics line. It isn't going to happen.

I agree with Bear-at-Arms.

Also I quite like the look of the Lego Chima toon and I am not usually a fan of Lego toons (only lasted 3 eps of Ninjago and half an ep of Star Wars) so whether or not it is a ripoff of TC or whatever that doesn't matter, as long as it is fun to watch it could be a ripoff of count duckula as far as I care
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

So b/c there is a Lion tribe its ripping off TC? LOL

Im sure it may remind some people of different things, but LEGO is a great company and doesnt need to rip off peoples ideas lol

Anyways I love this new series and I am hooked!

the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by Bear-at-Arms View Post
    Good Lord, you guys need to stop with the conspiracy theories, lol. Name one thing on TV right now that you can't look at and make a comparison to something else that has been on. The reason Thundercats is not on is because it failed. The reason the toy line is gone is because it failed. Lego has found a sound formula in its shows which appeals to both kids and adults, not just those trying to hang on to 80's nostalgia. Lego as a brand is proven successful because you can be so diverse and mix and match. Star Wars can be with Ninjago and Super Heroes can battle Legends of Chima.
    As far as WB suing Lego Chima premiers on a WB network. Lego and WB already partner with the DC comics line. It isn't going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I agree with Bear-at-Arms.

Also I quite like the look of the Lego Chima toon and I am not usually a fan of Lego toons (only lasted 3 eps of Ninjago and half an ep of Star Wars) so whether or not it is a ripoff of TC or whatever that doesn't matter, as long as it is fun to watch it could be a ripoff of count duckula as far as I care
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post

Im sure it may remind some people of different things, but LEGO is a great company and doesnt need to rip off peoples ideas lol

Anyways I love this new series and I am hooked!
    You guys have hit the nail on the head. Some people think Thundercats is a rip-off of MOTU and even more people think MOTU is a rip-off of Conan and Kull. If stories being similar to other stories keeps you from enjoying these shows and movies it makes me wonder how you can enjoy anything at all. You must not have been to the movies in a couple of decades.

I think while there are similarites to Thundercats and maybe even Dune it won't stop me from enjoying this show or this line. I find enjoyment in almost everything Lego does; they are a great company with very smart products. I have already set the DVR to record the first 2 episodes in a week. One thing you can say about Lego, they know what they're doing.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post

First - nice photos.
    But given the info that's surfaced so far it seems pretty solid that this idea did come from the Thundercats pitch.

1. WB pitched Thundercats recently to Lego. This included much conceptual artwork from Dan Norton, based on the new thundercats show.
    Apparently the map of chima is almost identical to the thundercats one Norton did.

2. It's not uncommon for a company to use internal development for a licence, once that licence falls through, for their own property. (Akin, but not the same to Conan/Mattel/He-Man)

3. Anthropomorphic animals? Sure, not uncommon but:

Thundercats/Chima

Good guy lions/ good guy lions
    bad lizards (slythe)/bad crocs
    bad vultures (vultureman)/ bad ravens
    bad jackals (jackalman)/ bad wolves

and then there's the whole 'thundertank' thing....

I really like this new theme from Lego, but it does seem that this came from the failed Thundercats pitch and development.