Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 108 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 108 Discussion!

Episode 108 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, Brian Rooney and Rob Base are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss
    Deadpool,
    Dragon Blaster Skeletor's dragon,
    Princess of Power bios,
    fluffy,
    MOTU She-Ra digital comic,
    She-Ra video game update,
    Weapons for POP characters,
    no Rotar go rotate,
    He-Man and Barbie going on dates,
    robots,
    Songster,
    key characters for sub exclusives,
    new He-Man movie,
    Star Sisters leg connectors,
    reversed forearms,
    success of online retailing and Matty Collector,
    factory mistakes,
    fan slot voting,
    concept and new characters in MOTUC,
    Power-Con,
    Pixie Dan & wrestling,
    Four Horsemen
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 2 hour, 13 minutes, 08 seconds

Direct link for Episode 108

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Perfect timing, just finished up 107.

One question, a few episodes ago, Val mentioned a deal in the works that possibly pertained to the Org, RGD, or something along those lines. Was that ever expanded on?

Also, I've really been enjoying both Deadpool and She-Hulk, I hope Val continues on those books for a while.

Great Idea's on POP weapons! Augie has some great idea's for weapons as well. Danielle I 100 percent agree that Mermista should get a trident!

Last edited by Angel-T; January 3, 2013 at 06:17am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The 'Duke AND Rob Base are on RGD?!!

Rushes off to listen!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Val, after listening to every episode and knowing that they could be delayed to the public, I always thought it would be helpful for you guys to give us the date of recording at the start of the episode. It'll give some reference to what references are made through out the show. Both MOTUC and pop culture.

Will listen to this one today at work.

J

No Rotar, Go Rotate! I'm willing to join that bandwagon

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    It's hard to get podcasts out on time with work and the like. Maybe having a "this podcast was recorded on such date" would help the fans out greatly. I may use this reference for my own podcasts. Thanks
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

That was a great episode. Good emails & voicemails that generated some engaging discussions that have kept me thinking about MOTU after listening to the podcast. Sincere thanks the RGD panel & to the fellow .orgers who submitted questions!
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    One question, a few episodes ago, Val mentioned a deal in the works that possibly pertained to the Org, RGD, or something along those lines. Was that ever expanded on?
    Hmmm.. a deal? I'm not remembering that.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    I always thought it would be helpful for you guys to give us the date of recording at the start of the episode.
    Sure, I could start doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    That was a great episode. Good emails & voicemails that generated some engaging discussions that have kept me thinking about MOTU after listening to the podcast. Sincere thanks the RGD panel & to the fellow .orgers who submitted questions!
    And I shall second that!

really touching fan-mail in this show ... it really hit home with me ...

thanks for sharing
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Having Rob AND Brian on RGD at the same time is so epic it deserves one of those crazy long anime episode titles.

Unlikely Alliance! Crotchety Motu Purist Humor and Tough PoP Sparkle Fusion Attack!

Oh, and awesome Mermista, Angel-T. No Mermista, We Mer...misbehave? Ok, I'm still working on a rally cry, but you get the point.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Oh, and awesome Mermista, Angel-T. No Mermista, We Mer...misbehave? Ok, I'm still working on a rally cry, but you get the point.
    No Mermista, we mist ya! How about that?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    • I thought there was so much royalty in The Great Rebellion because all of the rulers of these kingdoms have banded together to kick the Horde out.

• I thought that Despara's "Hordak look" was good, because it "monsterized" her to the people of Etheria, like the other members of the Horde. It's like the chick version of General Kale from Willow. In Filmation, Adora was the Marilyn Munster of the group -- the most normal looking of the bunch. The Despara look makes her appear to be Hordak's literal daughter. I've always thought that if her origin was revised that Horde Captain Adora would wear a Nazi-esque uniform, but this "hand of Hordak" works just as well, if not better.

• For some fans, variants can be better than new characters; not all new characters are stellar. I know I voted for Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn because I felt that Battleground Evil-Lyn being a Teela repaint was a screwjob/robbery after we've been told Mattel what we wanted ever since 2010. That would have been my main Evil-Lyn, a far more valuable figure to me than Geldor.

• Pixel Dan got called out to a wrasslin' match!!!

• Speaking of wrestling...New Jack! ECW stories!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    • I thought there was so much royalty in The Great Rebellion because all of the rulers of these kingdoms have banded together to kick the Horde out.

• I thought that Despara's "Hordak look" was good, because it "monsterized" her to the people of Etheria, like the other members of the Horde. It's like the chick version of General Kale from Willow. In Filmation, Adora was the Marilyn Munster of the group -- the most normal looking of the bunch. The Despara look makes her appear to be Hordak's literal daughter. I've always thought that if her origin was revised that Horde Captain Adora would wear a Nazi-esque uniform, but this "hand of Hordak" works just as well, if not better.

• For some fans, variants can be better than new characters; not all new characters are stellar. I know I voted for Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn because I felt that Battleground Evil-Lyn being a Teela repaint was a screwjob/robbery after we've been told Mattel what we wanted ever since 2010. That would have been my main Evil-Lyn, a far more valuable figure to me than Geldor.

Amen on Cloak and Dagger Evil-lyn. I feel like we are "owed" that one after the explanation for BG Evil-lyn. Geldor holds no interest for me, at all.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Hmmm.. a deal? I'm not remembering that.
    A few episodes back, you mentioned that someone from the boards was helping you out in a big way. You said more info was to come, but you never mentioned it again.

Also, more bcrduke please, his voice is dreamy. Though, Eamons accent is entertaining too
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

bcrduke and rob base rock!!!

NJ and brooklyns finest
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    A few episodes back, you mentioned that someone from the boards was helping you out in a big way. You said more info was to come, but you never mentioned it again.
    Ohhhh, that! That's a personal thing. It doesn't have anything to do with the Org, or Power-Con, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    ...brooklyns finest
    No no... it's the Bronx! Don't let Rob fool you with his Brooklyn claims.

Regarding the Princess of Power bios - Even though most of them were conceived/written before Mattel licensed the rights to Filmation, I feel like there was plenty of room to tell new stories about Etheria, give background information on the characters beyond what we already knew from various media, etc. because the cartoon didn't really flesh-out too much. I mean, there was even a map of Etheria with the vintage Crystal Castle playset that shows Kingdom of Snows, Scorpion Hill, Valley of the Lost etc. so those locations were available for Mattel to use.

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984
    bcrduke and rob base rock!!!

NJ and brooklyns finest

NJ?!?! Who told you I grew up there!?!? Who!? Oh, wait... I did...

I've lived in Manhattan for 13 years now... I wonder when I get to be an official New Yorker?

I had a GREAT time on the show - Rob was a lot of fun to talk with... the others too, but that goes without saying.

I appreciate the chance to talk about She-Ra/POP in an even more public way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Regarding the Princess of Power bios - Even though most of them were conceived/written before Mattel licensed the rights to Filmation, I feel like there was plenty of room to tell new stories about Etheria, give background information on the characters beyond what we already knew from various media, etc. because the cartoon didn't really flesh-out too much. I mean, there was even a map of Etheria with the vintage Crystal Castle playset that shows Kingdom of Snows, Scorpion Hill, Valley of the Lost etc. so those locations were available for Mattel to use.

Excellent points. The need to be creative with these bios is paramount. It's really the only consistent media for the toyline right now. Sure, we have occasional mini-comics, and the DC stuff going on, but they are limited... and as Scott has said, DC's canon is different than MOTUC's.
    Last edited by bcrduke; January 4, 2013 at 01:42pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Big Bad New Jack who wouldn't last two minutes with one person in UFC, Dream, or Bellator. Just like any of those "old school" or "new school" pro wrasslers. Save Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock, Don Frye, Josh Barnett, Brock Lesnar and a few others who have crossed over between both.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Ohhhh, that! That's a personal thing. It doesn't have anything to do with the Org, or Power-Con, etc.

No no... it's the Bronx! Don't let Rob fool you with his Brooklyn claims.

watch it Staples !!!!! :P

- - - Updated - - -

ya want shoot stories on wrestling LOL let me know
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Great show and love the special appearance by Da Duke and Da Base!!!

I definitely am in the group for the POP Bios having a little more meat; as I have even posted on threads some "revised" details in Bios for Bow and Frosta myself, Duke actually came exactly close to what I proposed for Frosta. I have begun to envision Etheria as the more regal of the planets between itself and Eternia and a planet of riches and royals which made it even more of a shock to these now rebels when they were invaded and conquered by the Horde. Which in turn hardens this characters and provides great character evolutions....

I am in the many waiting for this game to come to either Android, Playstation Store or Xbox Live Store!!!

Maybe the next Weapons Pack can be the Great Rebellion??? Just sayin...

Rotar / Twistoid Oversized or Beast Pack???

And You hit the nail on the head Rob, I WANT SONGSTER!!! But I would love to make him a Baddie!!!! Bio and Mini Comic ready to go!

Eldor should be the next Sub Exclusive cause I think 2014 can be a great year!!!

NY Comic Con (or any other 'Con) is the way to go especially last minute. Not many want to take all that stuff home and your chances are better on Sunday. Many dealers are growing on to the Sunday haggle and are trying to stand their ground, but flash the cash and you can sure find someone willing to help make that green disappear from your hand; I bought 4 He-Ro's for about 60 bucks alone and plenty of other things I had scanned out since the beginning of the show. And if I didn't get it during the Professional preview night for a cheap price (i.e I bought the Takara Megatron Masterpiece for about 115.00 and once the general public came in the same dealer changed the price to 250.00 - 300.00) I would definitely try and get it by late Sunday. and another thing I learned is when you go with a bunch of people looking to score everyone walks away happy, Rob you know what I mean? It's like when you use to go to Delancey and by a leather coat on Orchard Street...

The problem with quality control is that when it's been promised to change for the better and it hasn't, it's not good business. I know this cast is dated but I can't wit til you guys discuss Mosquiotr's hand, Procrustus' arm joint and Granamyr's... well you pick one!

I think the problem with the 'vote a character twist' was I could've swore the main complaint that it wasn't supposed to be A-List character and there were 3 variants of such (if you include Marlena as an A-Lister). So the steering was there how strong, hmmmm that can be debated.

Awwww man I remember the Elks Lodge and good ole ECW days Rob, especially the Massacre on Queens Blvd!

AND CAREFUL GUYS: the "Mafia Mouse" is always listening and watching!!!

Great Episode Guys!!!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Great episode! The wrestling conversations towards the end of this episode was awesome! Being a life long fan and a former indy wrestler myself (before I busted my knee) were some of the best times of my life. I feel bad for Dan because I know how bad a knee injury can be. Then again at 6'0 and 350 pounds my knee injury might have been a little worse than his. The New Jack/Mass Transit story is infamous in the industry (and amongst fans from the time) Blading is a tough thing to do the first time you do it, but it gets easier. I wish I was younger and could get back in to it honestly.

But yea, It's always great when Rob Base is on. Brooklyn Represent!
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!