View Poll Results: Are motuc figures tested for playability?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

15 30.61%
  • no

34 69.39%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Motuc figures tested for playability?

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Here's how I do it:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...rokenLegs.html

The first time is a bit of a pain, but it's easier to do after that. I've done it one 5 or 6 of my vintage figures

- - - Updated - - -

I let my toddler play with my MOTUC figures last weekend. I think I'm more satisfied about the durability of the Classics line, EXCEPT he somehow managed to rub a lot of paint off He-Man's power sword, I think because he flexed it a bit. That metallic paint seems to just flake off.
    Awesome! Thanks- sounds like a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I let my toddler play with my MOTUC figures last weekend. I think I'm more satisfied about the durability of the Classics line, EXCEPT he somehow managed to rub a lot of paint off He-Man's power sword, I think because he flexed it a bit. That metallic paint seems to just flake off.
    I knew they would be fine....but the paint on the Power Swords....yeah. My Faker's Sword paint flaked right off, and some of my sons He-Man sword and that was from just me messing with it. But none of the other Power Swords have flaked or even seem like they will.

But I never gave my son the accessories from his He-Man & Demo-Man....and as I said before....he's not touching mine unless he's sitting right there with me, that's why he has his own. Not that I'm worried about him breaking mine, but mine are all posed and perfectly mint....and that is the way I want to keep them.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Sure they do, if the all-but-confirmed classic rumor about toy testing is to be believed. Having said that, production runs will contain flaws; production runs with unsound materials will have a higher number of them. Even I've gotten one or two loose joints, bobble heads and the wasn't-funny-last-week-either Goddess crotch - and I've only just started my Classics collection! I'll figure it out.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I won't let my son play with them. He has vintage for that. These are too expensive to have him throwing around. I pose them and then treat them like statues. Sure they're "toys" but they're not kid toys. Now the 200x retail ones and the vintage are fair game. They tend to hold up better....even the paint. Heck all I did was take SLL sword out of his hand to turn it upright and paint flaked off the handle.....that's not a kid toy to me. I do let him help pose and he checks them out before we put them on the shelf together but the buck stops there. I know some people buy them for their kids to play with and that's fine.....I just can't justify that kind of price for something to get tossed around and broken.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I won't let my son play with them. He has vintage for that. These are too expensive to have him throwing around. I pose them and then treat them like statues. Sure they're "toys" but they're not kid toys. Now the 200x retail ones and the vintage are fair game. They tend to hold up better....even the paint. Heck all I did was take SLL sword out of his hand to turn it upright and paint flaked off the handle.....that's not a kid toy to me. I do let him help pose and he checks them out before we put them on the shelf together but the buck stops there. I know some people buy them for their kids to play with and that's fine.....I just can't justify that kind of price for something to get tossed around and broken.
    I think its kind of funny that you let your son play with vintage toys (which at one point were mint, and may retain collector value) and not your MOTUC which are toys. The only difference is, you paid a mint for them, and now that they are open, they won't actually retain any value.

You may be posing them like statues now, but give it a few years, when your son is too old to care, and they will be just more old toys. No disrespect meant, its just a funny concept when you think about it.

Do not be fooled by the "Adult Collector" on the package, as this dubious title just means "Really Expensive Poorly Made Toy You Paid To Have Shipped To Your Home"
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 25, 2013 at 05:26am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I think its kind of funny that you let your son play with vintage toys (which at one point were mint, and may retain collector value) and not your MOTUC which are toys. The only difference is, you paid a mint for them, and now that they are open, they won't actually retain any value.

You may be posing them like statues now, but give it a few years, when your son is too old to care, and they will be just more old toys. No disrespect meant, its just a funny concept when you think about it.

Do not be fooled by the "Adult Collector" on the package, as this dubious title just means "Really Expensive Poorly Made Toy You Paid To Have Shipped To Your Home"
    I'm not in it for increasing the value, I'm in it for the way they look and the memories they bring. And if I were to sell my open figures, they don't go for much less than MOC do so I don't really understand what you mean by retaining value. (I have Shadow Weaver, Teela, and Fisto and know I could double my money if I wanted to...but I never will) As far as the vintage goes though.....they're 30 years old and already played with, were not bought mint by me anyway...and were a lot cheaper.....and are WAY less fragile! When I was a kid I had them all and they were my main toys, but sadly were taken from me by my Step Father in retaliation for something when I was 15....he gave all my childhood possesions away. I was saving them for when I had a son (which I do, and one more son on the way) Anyway, I would never buy MOC vintage at this point to be honest. I'm happy with my collection and I know that toys are a terrible investment if you're looking to make money someday. Sure some toys retain or go up in value but it's never a guarentee and a lot of times it's a false inflation due to temporary demand. Anyway, I stand by my original post. Too expensive and fragile to be tossed around where as you can get a vintage guy for a buck or two and put him through hell and he still looks great!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I'll play tested my motuc. they don't break but I wouldn't bet on some more fragile looking parts on certain figures. paint did come off on only a few.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Goddess CLEARLY wasn't.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

My son was given a He-Man reissue at 13 months old (no accessories). I am happy to report after many adventures as my boys favorite toy for the last 3 months He-Man is in flawless condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    My son was given a He-Man reissue at 13 months old (no accessories). I am happy to report after many adventures as my boys favorite toy for the last 3 months He-Man is in flawless condition.
    I gave my son one when he turned 2, he's beaten the hell out of He-Man, and I later gave him a Demo Man....same thing, both are just fine, still mostly tight, and nothing broken, just a little paint wear. He's 3 and 3 months now....If these things were that damn brittle, they'd have shattered a few weeks in, and it's been over a year. Sure a few like Goddess and Snout Spout are bad figures, But you can't judge 100+ figures as brittle and fragile by the flaws of a handful.

I've personally accidentally broken modern Transformers with less effort, just trying to Transform the damn things.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; March 11, 2013 at 08:58pm.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!