69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars

23 33.33%
  • MOTU

46 66.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which had a bigger impact on you: Star Wars or MOTU

Which had a bigger impact on you: Star Wars or MOTU

Growing up I had primarily two types of toys....Star Wars and MOTU. Both had a lasting effect on me.....but Star Wars impacted me deeper, so much so that our upcoming Son is being named Lucas. Our Christmas tree is prodominently full of Star Wars characters, and although I am 50 strong and growing in my MOTUC collection, my 8 bins of Star Wars stuff dwarfs it in comparison. 2015 is supposed to bring both to theatres at the same time, which is a pretty big deal. That being said, I know we are all MOTU lovers here.....but who do you love more?!

Count Duckula of course

but out of those 2...MOTU
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Definitely MOTU!!!

When star Wars came out I never really saw the movie but was well aware of it cause my cousin and our friend were heavy collectors. Since there was so much product i think my mother was turned off by spending on so much as I also passed on other collections such as G.I. Joe and Transformers due to the quantity. But for some reason she caved when it came to He-Man especially when she saw my face when we went to our local Macy's and saw the store display; and from that one Christmas she bought the entire first wave including Grayskull and vehicles (along with my older sister) and decided He-Man was gonna be MY COLLECTION.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Which had a bigger impact on you: Star Wars or MOTU?
    Hmmmm. I'm not sure...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I am honestly not sure (no radio button option provided, unfortunately). My Star Wars collection was enormous. Was basically 2 different eras. When I was younger it was all Star wars all the time. When I got older, Star Wars was winding down and MOTU became my favorite line.

I used to use my star wars figures to play football and my he-man figures for wrestling matches

Edit --

Battlestar Galactica actually had a huge influence as well. I am happy that I have them on DVD, but I do not have any of the toys. I am slowly dying without the ships. The colonial viper and cylon raider were unbelievable.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

MOTU. I thought Episodes 4,5, & 6 of the trilogy were cool at the time but MOTU made more of an impact.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I am honestly not sure (no radio button option provided, unfortunately). My Star Wars collection was enormous. Was basically 2 different eras. When I was younger it was all Star wars all the time. When I got older, Star Wars was winding down and MOTU became my favorite line.

I used to use my star wars figures to play football and my he-man figures for wrestling matches

Edit --

Battlestar Galactica actually had a huge influence as well. I am happy that I have them on DVD, but I do not have any of the toys. I am slowly dying without the ships. The colonial viper and cylon raider were unbelievable.
    I had a Battlestar Book as a kid but never saw the show or had the toys and thought it was some kinda obscure Star Wars thing....lol. Years later was when I found out it was a Star Wars ripoff according to some. I enjoyed the rebooted series but it had little impact on me as a kid unfortunately. As far as other options.....well I was actually curious between only Star Wars and Motu and which had a bigger influence. Most of us born in the late 70's/early 80's were bombarded with these two major franchises.

MOTU for sure. I was born in '82 so at age 4 Masters was everywhere. Clawful was my first action figure ever.

I still liked Star Wars, and had a major collection. I still like it...heck I love it, original 3 only. I can name Cantina aliens, met Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett), & me & my friends can say the lines and do sound effects along with the movies. (I'm a dork, I know) But it will always take a backseat to MOTU.

So for me it's Randor > Rancor
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

I had a Battlestar Book as a kid but never saw the show or had the toys and thought it was some kinda obscure Star Wars thing....lol. Years later was when I found out it was a Star Wars ripoff according to some. I enjoyed the rebooted series but it had little impact on me as a kid unfortunately. As far as other options.....well I was actually curious between only Star Wars and Motu and which had a bigger influence. Most of us born in the late 70's/early 80's were bombarded with these two major franchises.
    Your third option should be "Undecided" if you don't want your polling results to be skewed. If 15 people say MOTU and 10 say Star Wars does that give MOTU a victory? Not if 50 undecideds didn't vote in your poll it doesn't

Your third option should be "Undecided" if you don't want your polling results to be skewed. If 15 people say MOTU and 10 say Star Wars does that give MOTU a victory? Not if 50 undecideds didn't vote in your poll it doesn't
    Anyone Undecided can post down here.......although personally I think all undecideds default to Star Wars....

Anyone Undecided can post down here.......although personally I think all undecideds default to Star Wars....

I really think it depends on one's age. I grew up on Star Wars. I had Star Wars curtains, pillow cases, 12" dolls, ships, etc.
    He-man didn't even exist until I was like 12 or something, so the previous years were Star Wars years all the way. I drug my mom to the theater like 4 times for each of the three movies.

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well you also have to factor in the fact that this a MOTU-centric website so if the count is even remotely close it would still be a victory for Star Wars.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

I loved the original Star Wars trilogy, but never spent a dime of my own money on anything Star Wars related expect for regrettably seeing episode 1 and 3 in the theater. I only ever had one toy, the Rancor.

MOTU it is.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

MOTU is, and always has been, my favorite toy line. I love Star Wars (except for the pre-craps) but He-man has always been tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Well you also have to factor in the fact that this a MOTU-centric website so if the count is even remotely close it would still be a victory for Star Wars.

Yeah. And I can't believe Battlestar doesn't get any credit around here. That show was awesome for its time. Sound effects were top notch. The ships were cool. Cylons are iconic sci-fi design. Awesome intro music. Starbuck was every kid's idol... I still remember the first episode aired in like 79 or whatever. I was like 9 or 10. It was a 2 hour series premier and the network cut in to broadcast a presential speech. I freaked out

EDIT ---

Here is my Battlestar pillow case. I have had this for probably 32 years. One of the few items from my childhood I still have.

Last edited by Phil.Pastel; January 4, 2013 at 02:14pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    MOTU is, and always has been, my favorite toy line. I love Star Wars (except for the pre-craps) but He-man has always been tops.
    Traitor!!!

Depends on when you ask me When I was kid (born in 78) Starwars was starting to slow down by the time I was old enough to appreciate toys,etc. I saw the movies, but I was getting Motu toys and seeing the cartoon everyday which has stuck with me all these years. When I was a teenager in the early 90s Starwars started to make a resurge. I received a copy of the Dark Empire series by Cam Kennedy and was floored, so I became obsessed with Starwars when Motu was only a fond memory. Now that Starwars is fading a little again and Motuc is a part of my life--Motu is getting all the attention now. That may change in a few years when the new Starwars movies come out, but we'll see.

Star Wars, by far. It has been a constant in my life since its inception, whereas motu was limited to a few years in the 80s, and the past few years. motu still had a major impact, but it can't compete with Star Wars history and media.

I LOVED star wars, and the MOTU came along and changed my whole world. I didn't have many star wars toys growing up. the scale and detail and genre of MOTU just struck a chord with me. though i still love star wars and have recently got into collecting some toys - HOPING to get the millennium falcon and trench runs ets, but it's big money. but again MOTU is #1

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. And I can't believe Battlestar doesn't get any credit around here. That show was awesome for its time. Sound effects were top notch. The ships were cool. Cylons are iconic sci-fi design. Awesome intro music. Starbuck was every kid's idol... I still remember the first episode aired in like 79 or whatever. I was like 9 or 10. It was a 2 hour series premier and the network cut in to broadcast a presential speech. I freaked out

EDIT ---

Here is my Battlestar pillow case. I have had this for probably 32 years. One of the few items from my childhood I still have.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...7&d=1357323153
    I loved Battlestar galactica as a kid, it was the closest thing to Star wars on TV.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I didn't own any of the MOTU or Star Wars figures when I was a kid, BUT I had a cousin that had ALL of the vintage MOTU and Star Wars figures, but he only brought over the MOTU figures to play...and gloat. I was, of course, VERY jealous of him and all the toys he had (son of a doctor ). I was always forced to play with the figures he didn't like as much (i.e. Stinkor, Sy-Klone, Whiplash, and Buzz-Off)...hence why they are among my favorites today.

HOWEVER, on the flip side, I only saw 2-3 of the MOTU Filmation cartoon episodes in passing while running in and out of my babysitters house while playing as a kid. BUT my first and only movie theater experience from the time I was born until I was 18 was Stars Wars: Return of the Jedi with my parents. I remember that fondly, but more-so because it was my only movie experience until after high school and less because of what was playing.

So, it's hard to say which had a bigger impact on me AS A KID because I didn't have much to do with either of the franchises. But now at 36 years of age the line has been drawn and it is clear which had the lasting effect on me....MOTU....simply because I remember playing with (but being unable to afford) someone elses MOTU figures.

I am now re-living my childhood by buying as much MOTU as I can afford.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I didn't own any of the MOTU or Star Wars figures when I was a kid, BUT I had a cousin that had ALL of the vintage MOTU and Star Wars figures, but he only brought over the MOTU figures to play...and gloat. I was, of course, VERY jealous of him and all the toys he had (son of a doctor ). I was always forced to play with the figures he didn't like as much (i.e. Stinkor, Sy-Klone, Whiplash, and Buzz-Off)...hence why they are among my favorites today.

HOWEVER, on the flip side, I only saw 2-3 of the MOTU Filmation cartoon episodes in passing while running in and out of my babysitters house while playing as a kid. BUT my first and only movie theater experience from the time I was born until I was 18 was Stars Wars: Return of the Jedi with my parents. I remember that fondly, but more-so because it was my only movie experience until after high school and less because of what was playing.

So, it's hard to say which had a bigger impact on me AS A KID because I didn't have much to do with either of the franchises. But now at 36 years of age the line has been drawn and it is clear which had the lasting effect on me....MOTU....simply because I remember playing with (but being unable to afford) someone elses MOTU figures.

I am now re-living my childhood by buying as much MOTU as I can afford.
    I too buy these to re-live my childhood....and Syklone and Stinkor were two of my favorites as a kid and I had most of the figures!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Traitor!!!
    Time for a new apprentice....

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT ---

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...7&d=1357323153
    Had my first taste of original Galactica yesterday and thought of you...lol......well, it was Galactica 1980.....watched all 7 episodes.....probably should have watched the original series.....

Hard to say. Oddly I never had Star Wars toys really growing up for some reason. At about 1985 I had most of the MOTU figures and playsets that were released. I watched the cartoon every time it was on, and had the sticker books etc. Star Wars I had a full sized movie poster of Return of the Jedi on my wall that my parents got somehow, and Star Wars sheets, watched Droids and the Ewoks movies.

So for me in a way it is kind of an undecided.
    Last edited by wyldman11; January 8, 2013 at 03:59pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Had my first taste of original Galactica yesterday and thought of you...lol......well, it was Galactica 1980.....watched all 7 episodes.....probably should have watched the original series.....

I miss my ships

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    MOTU, all the way. My SW awareness as a kid was minimal - I saw the movies once apiece, I think, and never had any of the figures, merchandising, etc. The only thing that really resonated for me was the concept of lightsabers. When Man-At-Arms had one in MOTU, I was thrilled.

I didn't get into SW until I was in college, actually - about two years before the theatrical re-releases, at which point I 'caught up' - books, comics, figures, etc. I really do love the property, but it's nowhere near MOTU for me.

To tell the truth, Batman's always been my driving "#1" impact.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I loooves me some Star Wars, but for some reason, MOTU hit me on a deeper level.