Thread: Ever thought about selling your whole MOTUC collection?

Heroic Warrior

Ever thought about selling your whole MOTUC collection?

I love these figures, but I'm starting to have regrets about the money that I've spent and sometimes feel like selling my whole collection.

I have at least one of every single figure that has been released to date (aside from the King Grayskull limited editions), and I have a sub for 2013 as well as a commitment to buy Castle Grayskull, but I often think about what the cost is (i.e., poorly paid workers in China, more plastic in the world, economic impact on my family).

Am I alone here, or do others contemplate these issues as well? This is the only toy line I collect. I still have all my vintage figures from when I was a kid though, but I gave them to my kids.

Also, if I did sell of my entire collection, what do you think it would be worth? It is all loose, but mint. Would it be better to sell it as a lot, or piece by piece? Would it be better to offer it here or over at eBay? I'm not saying I'm prepared to actually sell it yet, but theoretically speaking.

Anyway, here is what I have... and please don't ask me to sell certain pieces now (like Teela, Fisto, or Shadow Weaver). If I do decide to sell, it will be everything all offered at the same time either as pieces or as a lot.

Adora
    Battle Armor Faker & Bizarro
    Battle Armor He-Man
    Battle Armor Skeletor
    Battle Cat
    Battleground Evil-Lyn
    Battleground Teela
    Beast Man
    Bow
    Bubble Power She-Ra
    Buzz Off
    Captain Glenn
    Castle Grayskull Man
    Catra
    Chief Carnivus
    Clawful
    Count Marzo
    Cy-Chop
    Dekker
    Demo-Man
    Draego-Man
    Dragon Blaster Skeletor
    Eternian Palace Guards Pack X 2
    Evil-Lyn
    Faker
    Fearless Photog
    Fisto X 2
    Frosta
    Fun-Dar (Faker in Pink Armor)
    Granamyr
    Griffin
    Grizzlor
    Gygor
    He-Man
    He-Man & Superman
    He-Ro
    Hordak
    Horde Prime
    Horde Prime UK (Rattlor Armband, Count Marzo Cape, Spector Buck, Kronis Belt)
    Hurricane Hordak
    Icarius
    Keldor
    King Grayskull
    King Hssss X 2
    King Randor
    King Randor - Eternos Palace
    Kobra Kahn
    Kronis
    Leech
    Man-At-Arms
    Man-E-Faces
    Megator
    Mekaneck
    Mer-Man
    Mer-Man & Aquaman
    Mighty Spector
    Mo-Larr & Toothless Skeletor
    Mosquitor
    Moss Man X 2
    Optikk
    Orko
    Panthor
    Pre-Eternia Disguise He-Man
    Procrustus
    Queen Marlena
    Rattlor
    Roboto
    Scareglow
    Shadow Beast
    Shadow Weaver
    She-Ra
    She-Ra & Supergirl
    Sir Laser-Lot
    Skeletor
    Skeletor & Lex Luthor
    Skykron
    Slushhead
    Snake Man-At-Arms
    Snake Men Pack X 2
    Snout Spout
    Sorceress
    Spikor
    Star Sisters (Tallstar, Starla, & Jewelstar)
    Stinkor
    Stratos
    Stratos & Hawkman
    Swift Wind
    Sy-Klone
    Tankron (uses MAA body)
    Teela
    Temple of Darkness Scorceress
    The Faceless One
    The Goddess
    Thunder Punch He-Man
    Trap Jaw
    Tri-Klops
    Tytus
    Vikor
    Vykron
    Weapons Pack: Great Unrest
    Weapons Pack: Great Wars Assortment
    Weapons Pack: Ultimate Battle Ground
    Weapons Rack
    Webstor
    Whiplash X 2
    Wind Raider
    Wun-Dar
    Zodac
    Zodac & Green Lantern
    Zodak

And here is what is coming in my sub from what I can see that has been announced so far...

Castle Grayskull
    Clamp Champ
    Fang Man
    Fighting Foe Men
    Geldor
    Jitsu
    Karatti
    King He-Man
    Netossa
    New Adventures He-Man
    Octavia
    Ram Man
    Snake Face
    Strobo
    Last edited by Vikor; January 5, 2013 at 03:34am.

I don't worry about most of that stuff you mentioned....except maybe when I look back at the cash I spent! If I were you, I'd piece your collection out if you end up selling it. Most people can't afford an entire lot of figures all at once. But people LOVE to cherry pick figures they need. I'd start here for selling, and sell the left overs on ebay afterword. If you start here, you can avoid evil-bay charges

Wow. Them's a lot of figures. I don't have any motuc (I collect 200x right now, but I did preorder Castle Grayskull), but one day, if I run into some money, or after the kids move out or something, I would love to buy a full collection in one hit like this. Sadly not now, but wow. What a score. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

How much are u wanting for the complete set?
    I have the power

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not sure I'm actually ready to sell. How much do you think it is worth?

To figure out total cost I would add the price you paid yourself at Mattycollector, decide which figure collectors want most and add double the price for each one, at the same time decide which figure people don't want and cut that in half for each one, that will give you a fair amount for the entire set, you will find out that a very low percentage will actually be willing to pay that much... best bet is to sell individually
    Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone... But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place... a town... a house like a lot of other houses... A yard like a lot of other yards... On a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is... After all these years, I still look back with wonder...

As a lot if it sells you will get rid of it all. The problem is IF, figuring at 20 per figure and doubling for oversized figures and beasts you would look at around 2600 for the lot. The figures are loose, and some are mix and match figures.

As pieces you are more likely to get stuck with certain figures. If you sell them on ebay, the higher cost figures will probably net you about as much as above.

Lots are a harder sale basically but you won't have to worry about getting left with harder to get rid of figures. Ebay will more likely net you more money, here you are more looking to possibly help out a fellow collector who doesn't want to spend ebay prices.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I am no way in a position to buy, but in theory, if I had the money, I think I would be okay paying 2500.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I'm actually in the same boat. I loved this collection, but last year made me realize it is not what I thought it was going to be. It has gotten too big with too many hassles to collect. I haven't even bothered to buy Granamyr nor did I preorder the castle. As such, I am going to go through my collection today now that Ram-Man has been delayed to decide what I want to keep. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep He-Man, Skeletor, Battle Cat, Panthor, Teela, MAA, Beast Man, Evil-Lyn, She-Ra, Swift Wind, Bow, Hordak, and Shadow Weaver, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep anyone else or get rid of them. Maybe I'll just keep the characters that were released in 82 and 83 and sell off everything else (ncluding Ram-Man when he does come). Oh, but I will keep the Battle Armor versions of the two mains.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

You will not get top dollar if you want to sell them all in one transaction. You will have to offer a good deal to get rid of them all at once, especially since they are loose. Of course the alternative is shipping dozens of packages all over the country/world. You will get more money but you are in for a lot more work.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    You will not get top dollar if you want to sell them all in one transaction. You will have to offer a good deal to get rid of them all at once, especially since they are loose. Of course the alternative is shipping dozens of packages all over the country/world. You will get more money but you are in for a lot more work.
    Honestly, it isn't worth it to not sell it in one lot. You either charge less but get rid of everything, or charge more for each individually and be stuck with ones you cannot sell. It is better to just sell each figure for $10 a piece rather than to sell 50 figures at $20 and then be stuck with 30 figures you cannot even sell for $5. Sure, you make less, but at least you go rid of the other figures.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Some of those harder to sell figures might actually go for about 5 bucks. Too many sellers try to make their money back on each figure or close to it. Considering figures like Teela, Beastman, Shadow weaver, Wun-dar are all going for ~100 dollars each. You could undersell less diserable figures and still do well. Of course that is carded value. Loose lowers the selling value of many of the figures even more.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it