Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you LIKE about the bios?

What do you LIKE about the bios?

I know many of us have problems with the bios, things we don't like, things we hate, but I thought it may be a good idea to gather some information on what we actually like about the bios. It's easy to focus on the negative but it may be helpful for us (and Mattel) to know what parts of the Classics Canon works and is liked by many.

In this thread I would like to collect those things *you* personally LIKE (or even *gasp* love) about the bios, which Classics story elements work for you (regardless whether the source is Filmation, the Minicomics, or something else). And please don't shy away from posting if something you like has already been said - if we hear specific things more than once it may become clearer what the fandom actually thinks is s good idea.

I would like this thread to stay somewhat positive, so PLEASE restrain from posting "that you don't like anything" or what exactly you DON'T like or argue why another person's opinion is not correct - there should be plenty of other places to do that.

In the following you find links to three threads that may help you to refresh your memories:

1. The MOTUC Bios & Canon Discussion thread with all the bios,
    2. the MOTUC Narrative based on the bios, and
    3. my own MotUC Timeline thread, that tries to put the information from the bios into chronological order.

So please let us all know what story elements, ideas and plots points you actually LIKE in the MotUC world.

I like how the bios try to combine different cannons into one cohesive cannon. I like that they expand the mythos and try to tie in new characters or little known characters into the greater story.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I like how the bios try to combine different cannons into one cohesive cannon. I like that they expand the mythos and try to tie in new characters or little known characters into the greater story.
    ^ This. I like how they expand upon the stories we all know and love.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Where else are we going to get one canon that includes Vintage, Filmation, 200X, PoP, New Adventures, and 1987 MotU??? Nowhere!

As much flak as the bios get, I think they have done an excellent job of combining 30 plus years of MOTU lore into a truly wonderful line of figures. Maybe the line should be re-named Masters of the Universe Instant-Classics!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    I LOVE that they brought back the sword halves and the Power Vest. Even with all the filmation stuff that got added into my childhood canon... That 'vest = strength' and 'sword open grayskull' was ALWAYS there.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Basically everything. I think they're a fun combination of things. Only would be happier if there were more emphasis from the early mini comics.

I don't see a problem with th bios at all...
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Heroic Warrior
    What they said.

I love the expanding mythos being laid out and combines everything
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

I like having a story to read when I get my figures!

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    I like how they try to mix elements from the various MOTU eras or media and combine them into one universe.
    I was pretty pleased to see some references to various Eternian peoples (eg Kex people...) even though we know we might not get them as figures.
    I also like the inclusion of real names or nicknames(not all of them! but some of them are nice nods to some well known canons: Teelana for the Sorceress, Perkado for MEF) The references to Kalamarr or Flipshot in Slushhead and Icarius 's bios were a nice way to acknowledge the fact that European and American fans knew some characters under different names and that both of these names were valid in the MOTUC canon...

One thing I don't really like is the use of a canon more than another and in an explicit way. Let me explain: Why did they choose to have Teela be a clone for instance? Apart from the original mini comic, she has never been known as such in any other canon... they could have kept from mentionning this so that fans from both the mini comic and Filmation or whatever canon didn't feel like one canon was denying the other. They could have included a more subtle nod to the minicomic without contradicting the other canons...

Anyway, I think that the idea of including bios is overall a cool one. Not all bios are great and sometimes they are a bit confusing (I'm still not sure about who was fighting against who in the Second Ultimate Battleground lol) but I enjoy reading them and I like that every character made for MOTUC has some bits of history to him/her with an illustration and a information about his or her origins...
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

I like the combination of the canons, and I like collecting them I keep every card-back because of the bios!
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    1) They tell us a little something about the character

2) They TRY to form one cohesive story

3) They're made to include as many characters as posssible

I like that they killed off some characters.

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    I like the way that the New Adventures era has now been perfectly and seemlesly transitioned into the timeline so that it feels now like one continuos story. Looks like the He-Ro Son Of He-Man era will fit perfectly too!
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    That I can ignore them if I choose to.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    That I can ignore them if I choose to.
    I'm on board with that!

But one thing I do like is that they include artwork (usually vintage) of the character in each bio. I think that's a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I like the combination of the canons, and I like collecting them I keep every card-back because of the bios!
    Same for me! The combination of the canons is working for the most part…and I collect the card backs as well.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I view them as a nice throw-back to the blister cards of figures from my childhood.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    For me they're better than having no comic book at all. I always went for the comics...loved that they packed Thunder Punch He-man, Snake MAA and DB Skeletor with one. I like that the bios define the figures a little. I don't go for every story and I really don't care for the "real names." But it is cool to have a little media with each figure.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Snappy Threader
    I like how they combine the canons which haven't really been combined before. It is neat how they find a way to mesh to NA stuff with the older stuff..same for POP. They are very cool. I wish some of the main characters wouldn't get killed, but overall it has been a great story, and I love them.

Heroic Warrior
    I like the unity they attempt to bring to the stories.

I like that they tell a little story for every figure. Even if a figure doesn't interest you, its bio might. They find a way to fit every minor and major character into the overall mythos. The bios try to be inclusive of every incarnation of MOTU so no fan gets their favorite aspect of the story left out. Plus they're a lot of fun!

I love How they intertwine all of the characters throughout the story. As I was buying the line last springpart of my excitement was reading all the bios which were all new to me. I am anxiously waiting to find out certain plot points that I'm dying to know. The while Earth connection needs to be explained asap.

Did Scott ever mention that Wun-Dar's bio was retconned as well? It says 100 years before Prince Adam he was the first protector of the sword and the Goddess, but that seems off since they changed Tytus' bio to 5000 years.

I'm pretty deeply in live with the Bio-Canon. It's great in that it is pulling from all that has come before.

Some of my favorite elements are subjects that have really raised the ire of some fans though: Teela being cloned by Skeletor, the deaths of characters, etc.

However, Irian, I'm hurt. You failed to mention the excellent Bio-Narrative Thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty deeply in live with the Bio-Canon. It's great in that it is pulling from all that has come before.

Some of my favorite elements are subjects that have really raised the ire of some fans though: Teela being cloned by Skeletor, the deaths of characters, etc.

However, Irian, I'm hurt. You failed to mention the excellent Bio-Narrative Thread.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I LOVE that they are using what MYP had planned for Season 2 Part 2 and Season 3 of the 200x cartoon and even odd bits of what MVC had planned for the comic. Its great to see these stories cannonised in the bio's if no where else

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I like that they've done this as well but in some cases it's worked better then others, in some cases it just hasn't worked well at all.

I've also really appreciated the odd bits of info from the UK comics like Jungulia and Prison Starr. I'm hoping they continue this by having Theydon and Doodon as Dragstor and Extendar's real names, using Loredos as Rio Blast's home planet, and at least mentioning Scrollos and Keclar in same bio's as I'd be surprised if we got figures of them.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post

I... I... don't know what you are talking about... it's clearly there and I was in no way just editing it in!

Anyway...

I agree that it's nice that Mattel is trying to pull all the things together. Some details that I particularly like:

• I like that Eternia is at the center of the Universe - well... at the center of the Dimension of Eternia
    • In general I like the different dimension (although I don't like the term dimension for a parallel universe)
    • I like the Cosmic Enforcers and the Cosmic Warriors
    • I especially like that there is a wider universe and not just Eternia (although it's great it's still central)
    • I like the idea of the two Ultimate Battlegrounds as those epic battles of history (although not the name Ultimate Battleground for battles)
    • I particularly like that the New Adventures are more organically integrated into the overall storyline

To Be Continued...