Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you LIKE about the bios?

I also like that Teela becomes the Sorceress (although i would have preferred the Old Sorceress to at least continue like Obi-Wan did in Star Wars).

I like some elements, that could be used to tie up Filmation loose ends, but other things are just stupid and annoying.

SLL & Spector shoehorned into the story annoys me. MAA & Sorceress dying of anything but old age....no....sorry, and MAA getting turned into a snake....um no....

Obviously to me, there's much more to not like than there is to like. I'll just take my figures I had as a kid, and a few more that I really like, as that's all I buy, and I'll use my Filmation canon, and whatever I find to fill in loose ends that actually makes sense to go with Filmation, otherwise....no.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Podcaster
    1. I like how the positive posters have ignored the negative posters who apparently cannot be bothered to read the title of this thread. :P

2. I like the bio attempts to connect characters to each other - new rivalries, hidden alliances, stuff like that. It's this 'web' (as well as the effort to include all eras) that have really impressed me.
    Angella - BLADE! - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - DOUBLE TROUBLE! - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - EXTENDAR! - FLUTTERINA!
    Flying Fists He-Man - Gwildor - Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - Mermista - MultiBot - Ninjor - Peekablue - Perfuma
    RIO BLAST! - Rotar - Saurod - Spinnerella - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Tung Lashor - Twistoid

nothing at all, it's like bad fan fiction.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    1. I like how the positive posters have ignored the negative posters who apparently cannot be bothered to read the title of this thread. :P

2. I like the bio attempts to connect characters to each other - new rivalries, hidden alliances, stuff like that. It's this 'web' (as well as the effort to include all eras) that have really impressed me.
    Maybe everyone just finally realized to just let everyone else have their say, and not argue about it, as everyone has opinions....

I doubt it, but it's a thought....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 9, 2013 at 09:40am.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I like that the characters have 'real' names and not just their codenames (Goathead, Slashor, etc). I also love that many characters are part of different races. I envision a whole town full of Clawful people, lol.

I also really like the scroll art used that each bio is etched on.

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    I really like how the bios have attempted to tie EVERYTHING together. Sure it can be argued that not everyone likes the way everything is connected but I think the effort to tie together as many continuities as possible, to bring together He-Man, She-Ra, New Adventures, Powers of Grayskull, Son of He-Man and prototype concepts, is just so neat. While it might not be executed perfectly it at least begins to suggest how cool of a universe MOTU is when everything is present! I remember reading the Toyfare article where Val and Emiliano were talking about their plans for the 200x comic and I thought it was about the coolest thing I had ever heard.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

i may have missed it, but isn't there a thread or a link to a page that has all the bios retyped order and story form?
    "Evil, it's just so much easier." Exclu-DEAD
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by stprime View Post
    i may have missed it, but isn't there a thread or a link to a page that has all the bios retyped order and story form?
    Yes mate, the links are in the very first post in this thread
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

not what i was looking for but that works too. thanks.

the site i went to had them typed up with a grayskull green brick background.
    "Evil, it's just so much easier." Exclu-DEAD
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

I like the idea of multiple He-Men throughout the ages carrying of the legend until the real He-Man comes along. I like the characters not being "monsters" but actual representatives of different races. I also like the combination of the many different cannons with new info put in. I accept this as a new thread, or alternate universe if you will, of the story.

The main thing that I like about the bios is that with every character you have a piece of history in the whole plot of motuc (even if you like them or not).
    Every time I receive a figure I read the bio, before or after opening it. Particularly I like the Zodak bio, that says that Zodac was his mentor, it was a good way to relate both characters.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    I LOVE the bios for many reasons but in the broadest way I think it boils down to these four items:

- They're INCLUSIVE: From the start the intent was made clear - to tell a story, that takes elements from all canons previous (All Comics, Style Guides, Filmation, NA, 200x toons, etc.) and attempts to take contradicting elements and make them work. The goal is to tell as story that includes as many characters possible, and in some cased meant creating new characters, i.e. Fighting Foe Men, Oo-Larr, etc. which helps justify creating those figures.

- It's AMBITIOUS: I appreciate how difficult the task at hand is. The MOTU universe is so big and while many elements are iconic, others are not and telling this story has to be a lot of work. We could have simply had tag lines - no bios, no story. Just names and tag lines would have saved a lot of time and criticism - but for some of us, the bios rolling out and the ongoing story is almost as exciting getting the figures. I'd personally buy a book with all the bios in it, maybe with an index of characters, locations, etc. I love the ride and the jigsaw puzzle of it all and truly appreciate the effort whether I love all thats introduced or not.

- A FOUNDATION - finally: While they've always said there is no definitive canon, this will be the canon I call definitive. I know I'll always want more details and I can enjoy new ones (i.e. the new comics from DC) but the MOTUC canon will be the foundation for MOTU for me.

- Another day, another DRAMA: The story is exciting - it has a lot of arcs to it, but none compare to the drama and ride the bios have created for us, the MOTU family. I've enjoy seeing everyones reactions to the bios and then our reactions to each other as we share feelings and thoughts. Sometimes its fun - sometimes feelings get hurt, there are times we easily agree and other times where we are divided - but at the end of the day, it's a reflection of our ultimate love and passion for MOTU. I know personally I've thought about my communication style and learned a lot from everyone here, either directly or indirectly just from our discussions around the bios - and I believe that journey enriches our lives.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I like that I can throw them away and keep the figure!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

The bios can be downright juvenile at times, but I do like they are included. If they took them away now it would make me sad they were gone.

If nothing else it is fun watching them try to tie in all the different MOTU universes together.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

I also like that Adam goes on a quest to become He-Man - that he seeks out to become He-Man and it's not something that is just forced upon him like in 200X

I like that the bios show that, no matter how untalented, jejune, bland & crass you are as a writer, you can still get published.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    I am in the camp that loves the bios. Furthermore, I'm in the camp that loves the later, more detailed, narrative-driven bios, as opposed to the earlier ones (e.g., Beastman). What I truly appreciate is the attempt to amalgamate as much of what came before as possible. I have always tried to do that in my fan-fics, and therefore recognize how difficult it can be to pick and choose what elements 'best' encapsulate the overarching story being told. Thus, while I may not agree with certain choices (e.g., Teela being a clone), I nonetheless applaud the efforts of ToyGuru et al. to create something that would appeal to as broad a fan base as possible.

Specifically, some (though not all) of the elements that I've enjoyed have been:

* the merging of factions into a more intimate universe (e.g., Catra coming from the New Adventures series' Tri-Solar Galaxy);
    * the interconnectivity of the characters themselves (especially the familial connections, such as Man-At-Arms and Fisto);
    * expanding the time-frame of the story to include past, present and future, thereby broadening the scope and 'epic-ness' of the immediate He-Man narrative;
    * the attempts, specifically in the variant figures' bios, to explain alternate appearances in a way that underscores the need for a change in the first place;
    * and, the equal attention that's given to locations and beasts;
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

I like that She-Ra comes to Eternia - although I would love to know more about her time on Etheria! Especially how many years of adventures happened on Etheria before the Horde left to Eternia.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I like that She-Ra comes to Eternia - although I would love to know more about her time on Etheria! Especially how many years of adventures happened on Etheria before the Horde left to Eternia.
    Agreed on both accounts! Similarly, I really like that some of the Great Rebellion members joined her, and that they blended in with the Eternian Masters so seamlessly.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Yep! And that then some of them join He-Man and She-Ra on the NEw Adventures opens up so many (design) opportunities.

I like how they attempt to tie characters to each other, and give a little history on the character (especially ones I'm not familiar with). Also, I like the small pictures of each character, and that most are vintage pics from earlier toy, or shows.

Irian, I just read your timeline - and it makes me love the bios more than I already do! As everyone is saying, I like how the MOTUC continuity ties EVERYTHING together. To think that Catra, Trap Jaw and Cy-Chop, and perhaps even Jitsu are in effect "NA" characters is just exciting to me (with Trap Jaw's design being incorporated into other NA characters, it makes sense).

The major change of bringing the NA story into the same time period was a huge and important step. Also, sending He-Man to Primus WITH She-Ra and their allies makes more sense. And then having NA tie into the attack on Horde Prime is brilliant - I can't wait to see how they handle this aspect of the story.

I like the multiple He-Men - it IS actually mentioned in the cartoon that there were other He-Men.
    I like incorporating disparate continuity components - watching "mini comic" Hordak evolve into "Filmation" Hordak is quite fun.
    I like the massive, epic history of it. We basically have 3 main eras: King Grayskull (the First Ultimate Battleground), King Miro (The Great Unrest), and King Randor (The Second Ultimate Battleground) - and all the exciting history that unfolds in between them. AND there are still holes to fill.

The mistake that was made with POP and NA originally was attempting to make them SEPARATE entities from MOTU. MOTUC is correcting that in every way - from character/toy design to story and character relations. It's unfortunate that many of our fellow fans and collectors cannot embrace this progressive approach. It's the #1 reason why MOTUC is still running after 5 years - the robustness and diversity. IF we just focused on one corner of it, this line would have been done by now.
    Last edited by mykan; January 20, 2013 at 10:47am.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.