Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think He-Man would have been as successful if he had stayed just a barbarian?

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I think arguing that Filmation is to "kiddie" is a strange argument for any fan to make now.

Of course it was "kiddie" - it was a children's TV show. When I watched it back then, I took it seriously. When I watch it now, I realize that it's geared towards kids, and the villains are silly, etc.
    I don't think that's exactly fair there duke. I watched back then as a kid too (born in 74), and I remember back then comparing it to my other favorite cartoons of the time (Tranfsormers, G.I. Joe, Spider-man & His Amazing Friends, Incredible Hulk) it did feel even back then that He-man was striving for an even younger demographic than the other shows I mentioned. I don't mean it as a knock against the Filmation toon (MOTU was easily my favorite property w/ anything else a very distant second), but in that sense, it did feel 'too kiddie' when compared to their competition at the time. I guess being a 9, 10 or 11 year old at the time I may have been too old already for the show? Or at least the 10 year old me thinking I was too old for the show.
    Again, not bashing the show, I just feel that the 'too kiddie' complaint can be a valid one to an extent, as it was one I had even back then. .....And that's not me saying it's a bad thing, it obviously increased the range of the target audience by doing so.

Heroic Warrior
    If he became a Viking, then yes, a barbarian, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    One of the greatest cartoons of all time?

tries to hold in laughter

Sorry, check out Gargoyles, Batman TAS
    You mean the cartoons which gave us the horrible art styles with anatomically incorrect 'toony' character drawings that we see today? From a content standpoint, yes, they had some pretty good content, but in terms of aesthetics...I hate that every cartoon follows that cartoonish Bruce Timm style, or horrible fake 'Americanime'. Filmation's He-Man was one of the greatest, as evidence by its longevity.

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation had the coolest animation and most amazing backgrounds, but the stories were boring for me even as a kid...

To an awful lot of non-fans out there who remember He-Man casually from their childhoods, Filmation is MOTU to them. So I believe the answer to the OP’s question is no. Filmation helped turn MOTU into a billion dollar brand. I don't think the brand would have been given that label if He-Man had just stayed a plain barbarian.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    g. Blackstar did the exact same thing with the swords,
    I was referring to Thundarr. I have no idea who Blackstar is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    You mean the cartoons which gave us the horrible art styles with anatomically incorrect 'toony' character drawings that we see today? From a content standpoint, yes, they had some pretty good content, but in terms of aesthetics...I hate that every cartoon follows that cartoonish Bruce Timm style, or horrible fake 'Americanime'. Filmation's He-Man was one of the greatest, as evidence by its longevity.
    Uh...

What does Timm's style have to do with Gargoyles?

And you are trying to compare anatomically incorrect toons between Batman and He-Man? Do you not see the size of the muscles on the He-Man characters? How about the way characters "run" in Filmation's world?

BTW, I take story telling over animation style, and Gargoyles and Batman have the greatest story telling ever in the world of cartoons. And until He-Man uses a character getting another hero of the show shot by accident for playing with a gun and utilize it as a story about why you should not play with guns, I will never consider it a great cartoon. In fact, the writers for Filmation were too scared to do anything with weapons period.

I'm also not sure where you came up with the Americanime from, as I was not even referring to anything that uses the Japanese style. I was talking about shows like Samurai Jack, Justice League, JLU, Brave and the Bold, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I might not be so big on Filmation, but I can be fair, Whiplash.

BTW, I take story telling over animation style, and Gargoyles and Batman have the greatest story telling ever in the world of cartoons. And until He-Man uses a character getting another hero of the show shot by accident for playing with a gun and utilize it as a story about why you should not play with guns, I will never consider it a great cartoon. In fact, the writers for Filmation were too scared to do anything with weapons period.
    He-Man AND Bravestarr did gun control episodes. Although no regular character was hurt, killed or maimed by weapons, there was a guy who lost his legs. Heck, He-Man had a drug episode. Filmation has a rep for silliness, but they did have some moralistic stories.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    It helped create MOTU's success to more kids than you think that knew nothing or about MOTU before Filmation. Fact of teh matter is, MOTU would not be where it is today without Filmation.

She-Ra (spin off of MOTU created by Filmation)
    NA (continued a Filmation based story, using Adam & He-Man, of which Filmation created)
    MOTU 200X (loosely based on Filmation as a starting point)
    Classics (contains many characters originally made possible in the Vintage line by Filmation, not the comics)

The mini comics could have helped carry the line a couple years, but the mini comics and 30 second toy commercials (with random kids, and no story) alone no, a 30 minute toy commercial with a plot and likeable new characters....yes. You saw the commercials only if you were home to watch them, hardly anyone in 1982 had a VHS or Beta, and it's not like pausing and rewinding a DVR today....But kids sat down to watch Filmation for an entire half hour.
    I'm sure it helped, but it was only two seasons. MOTU was still strong out the gate without Filmation. I was born in 77 so I remember (a little) He-Man before the cartoon came out. All my little friends were into it. The cartoon was just icing on the cake to us. The cake itself was the toys, which we were all very much into before the TV show was out.

Maybe MOTU would have only lasted three to four years without Filmation. Who knows? But those first four were the best anyway. It was pretty awful near the end.

Big IMHO disclaimer, of course.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I was referring to Thundarr. I have no idea who Blackstar is.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh...

What does Timm's style have to do with Gargoyles?

And you are trying to compare anatomically incorrect toons between Batman and He-Man? Do you not see the size of the muscles on the He-Man characters? How about the way characters "run" in Filmation's world?

I'm also not sure where you came up with the Americanime from, as I was not even referring to anything that uses the Japanese style. I was talking about shows like Samurai Jack, Justice League, JLU, Brave and the Bold, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc.
    OK, Doc K, here's the thing. Thundarr was pretty much one of the earliest action adventure cartoons. Blackstar was pretty much Filmation's response to Thundarr... (you should google Blackstar. It has some similarities to Pre-Filmation MOTU. Mostly the whole half swords.) Afterwards came He-Man and the MOTU.

Now with that said, you must look at this while paying attention to the FCC Regulations issue. He-Man was one of the first cartoons to exploit these changes in the regulations that allowed more "action oriented shows" If you check out most 70s cartoons you'll see the huge amount of "Scooby clones" that were made due to these regulations. Not to mention how some comic book based cartoons got "castrated" Flintstones Meet the Thing, and the fantastic Four with HERBIE instead of Human torch come to mind
    (though the Torch issue is a bit more muddled) Gargoyles, the entire DCAU WERE POSSIBLE as they were thanks to Filmation's MOTU, Sunbow's Transformers and GI Joe and others that slowly were pushing the boundaries. Filmation's He-Man was crucified by multiple watchdog groups for being "Too Violent".

Had Gargoyles been made in the 80s Xanatos would have been a big buffoon and his name would not have been David Xanatos... (watchdog groups would have complained about it, cause guy's named David Death and his enemy is Goliath) The Famous Broadway Shooting Elisa episode would have never happened. The DCAU from the 90s and beyond would have been more like the Superfriends. Again due to the regulations from the FCC and pressure from watchdog groups.

On Story:
    Filmation's lack of story arcs is due to the show being made straight for Syndication and not every place shows the shows in the correct order in order to avoid confusing the viewers most of Filmation's episodes are self-contained. Other shows kept overarching stories that were screwed up when the episodes were aired out of order.

Now Filmation abused the reuse of animation (stock animation) and many of their animations were made by Rotoscoping (drawing over film footage of live actors in order to get more realistic movements.) So in a way if you find the way the characters move in Filmation you have to blame the limitations of the human bodies used y the animators.

Sirsniffy's mention of armericanime comes from it being one of the multiple styles used today. We rarely see cartoons where the characters have somewhat realistic proportions like in the 80s like MOTU or GI JOE (which is almost vintage americanime since it was made overseas almost mimicking the american style, but some details reveal it's eastern nature) Usually those who try and keep somewhat realistic proportions for their characters are using the Anime inspired style. MYP's MOTU, 2011 thundercats, etc.
    The other alternative we have is the weird totally unrealistic (deformed looking) styles like Foster's home for Imaginary Friends, Powerpuff girls, Johnny Test, Dini's DCAU style, etc.

With all that said, to answer your Original question: The whole barbarian He-Man with the 2 halves of the sword and all that would have been TOO similar to Blackstar and wouldn't have worked as well
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    And until He-Man uses a character getting another hero of the show shot by accident for playing with a gun and utilize it as a story about why you should not play with guns, I will never consider it a great cartoon. In fact, the writers for Filmation were too scared to do anything with weapons period.
    This is the true benchmark for cartoon excellence. I'll never forget that episode where Elroy shot Mr. Spacely. Harsh stuff, but then again it's a hard world out there.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I don't think He-Man would have been as popular if he'd remained a Barbarian. He'd have been just another Conan/Tarzan type of character. Granted, both Conan and Tarzan are cool characters, but they are a bit generic.
    I think R.E. Howard and E.R. Burroughs may disagree with you...

Both characters are definitely NOT generic. (But that is an argument for another time...)

Without some of the things that FILMation brought to the table, He-Man would not have been anywhere near as popular as he was in the 80's.
    I have to agree with this. He-Man would most certainly still have been popular to certain audiences before the Filmation show, but after the show, almost everyone knew who He-Man was thanks to MOTU's massive spread throughout 80's pop-culture.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    I don't think that's exactly fair there duke. I watched back then as a kid too (born in 74), and I remember back then comparing it to my other favorite cartoons of the time (Tranfsormers, G.I. Joe, Spider-man & His Amazing Friends, Incredible Hulk) it did feel even back then that He-man was striving for an even younger demographic than the other shows I mentioned. I don't mean it as a knock against the Filmation toon (MOTU was easily my favorite property w/ anything else a very distant second), but in that sense, it did feel 'too kiddie' when compared to their competition at the time. I guess being a 9, 10 or 11 year old at the time I may have been too old already for the show? Or at least the 10 year old me thinking I was too old for the show.
    Again, not bashing the show, I just feel that the 'too kiddie' complaint can be a valid one to an extent, as it was one I had even back then. .....And that's not me saying it's a bad thing, it obviously increased the range of the target audience by doing so.
    This brings up a key factor: Age differences.

I am a bit younger than you, and I didn't have the same perception.
    I found the stories, at the time, quite "real.". Kind of like how I watch Game of Thrones today. The stakes are higher. It's fantasy, but i am drawn in by the characters and the plot.

That age range timing is key to how a fan might remember Filmation, and the rest of the brand.

Very interesting
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    It is hard to say what would have may have happened. But at the very least, he-Man never felt totally "Conan" to me. Sure the early mini comics used more "Conan-esque" language than the cartoon did, but it always combined barbarian/fantasy elements with a bit of sci-fi flavor. Even in the comic where He-man slays that creature (Ram-man comic) he is driving along in a vehicle.

I think the combination of these elements is what made MOTU stand out. Conan was cool, and nothing against it, but it was only fantasy. MOTU had a big mysterious skull faced castle with all kinds of powers AND a freaking laser turret!
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I think R.E. Howard and E.R. Burroughs may disagree with you...

Both characters are definitely NOT generic. (But that is an argument for another time...)
    I didn't mean generic in a bad way, just that the archetypes are fairly simple.

Believe me, I'm a big fan of both Conan and Tarzan. The first comics I ever read as a kid were the Tarzan comics from the 50's and I enjoyed them a great deal. However, when compared to He-Man and The Masters of the Universe, I believe both Conan and Tarzan are generic, or rather plain in comparison.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    One of the greatest cartoons of all time?

tries to hold in laughter

Sorry, check out Gargoyles, Batman TAS, Animaniacs, and The Simpsons (only through Season 9). I can think of at least 25 cartoons better than the Filmation He-Man show, and none of them are from the 80s. In fact, the 80s were terrible cartoons in today's world. Yeah, I grew up on them too, but not a single one of them can hold a candle to the toons of the 90s and early 00s. They just did not age well at all.

Now is it one of the better cartoons from the 80s? Unfortunately, yes. It isn't better than Thundercats, She-Ra, or Transformers, but it is better than the GI Joe toon (especially now that I have read the Joe comics from then, which are so much better) and Silverhawks.

I think this is a serious matter of opinion.

Gargoyles was awesome. I really loved that show. At least the FIRST season. Once they 'teamed up with Xantos' and they got into the goliath chronicles I thought it dropped fast.

Batman TAS???? I'm in the camp that I HATED the animation in that. I still picked up the first season, but MAN.... that did NOT age well. I REALLY remember it being COOLER when it first came out. Really, 30 minutes and less is NOT enough time to come up with a mystery, follow clues and beat the bad guy... it is VERY simplistic watched now... Even by JL time they started getting into mostly 2-parters.... But BTAS? That was hardly the pinnacle of animated writing.,...

I also am amazed that you mentioned Thundercats... That was another one we bought the first couple boxed sets based on heavy nostalgia... They also did NOT age well... I still love them in my memory, and HATE when I see 'new costumes' and 'reimagining' of them... but the story and voice acting was... HARSh...

Whereas, He-man... I see it as more simplistic then I did back in the day, but I still enjoy it enough to watch wth the nephews whenever I can... and GI JOE?? I still think the stories on those hold up well too. They still seem fairly serious even WITHOUT the logical casualties that should be there. PROBABLY the lack of the 'cute fluffy sidekick' that the 80's were swamped with.

One thing that I love to point out about Filmation... They started the show in syndication with a MASSIVE amount of episodes. For all the 'awesomeness' that BTAS was... they only got 85 episodes over 3 seasons. Gargoyles? 61 episodes over 2 seasons.. Even MYP, 2 seasons... 39 Episodes...

Even Thundarr... 2 seasons... 26 episodes..

He-man? 130 episodes in 2 seasons. And that's NOT counting the She-ra crossovers and movies....

Did filmation cut some corners and kiddify things a bit??? Sure! Did they produce MORE episodes than any 'modern' series.... YEP!!!

This is one of the differences between old days, and new days.... they cut corners and skimped on things back THEN too.... But the customers actually GOT something for it

Fyi... for those who don't know Blackstar...

This is pretty much what a prefilmation cartoon would have looked like... it got about 13 episodes in one seasons.... Everything He-man has.... Except he traded a tiger for a DRAGON!!!

To answer the original question.....no, no I don't. Then again if it wasn't for the Filmation cartoon I wouldn't have been interested as a kid. Everything I knew was from the show. I was very young and was one of the kids that threw out the comics.
    So obviously with the classics line, He-Man is a pretty successful series. However, do you think it became successful because it came out right at the perfect time? Was it the cartoon that made it successful? Do you think that if Mattel and Filmation had stuck with He-Man being just a simple barbarian it would have still be the hit it was in both toys and cartoons, or do you think the series would have ended sooner?

As I have said before, I grew up on the cartoon, so to me, He-Man was Adam and all that stuff. However, I just recently looked into some of the pre-Filmation concepts and gazed through the original mini-comics on the site (I tried to read them, but when the pages have no semblance of order, it is kind of hard) and I have to say that there were some things in there I saw that were quite impressive. In fact, I hate to say it, but I think He-Man is much better with a smaller cast of just a few characters instead of this huge amount of friends and family and soldiers and subjects and others running about. Plus, I think they could have really taken the concept of the sword halves somewhere if they had truly desired to.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Barbarian or not, Filmation didnīt matter at all in the success of MotU in Germany.
    Think about that!

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Barbarian or not, Filmation didnīt matter at all in the success of MotU in Germany.
    Think about that!
    Quote Originally Posted by hauke View Post
    He-Man was quite succesfull in Germany and the cartoon did not air here until 1988 when the toyline was as good as over. But granted we did not have a lot to choose from action figure wise so He-Man had an advantage here even without the cartoon.
    As successful as it was in Germany, I'm sure it paled in comparison to the phenomenon it became in the US, due partly to FILMation.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I personally never cared for the dual identity thing as a kid. I had been fine without it with the toys and mini comics. The world they presented was creepy and creepy and felt so grown compared to my young age and then the show really didn't as much.(I do appreciate it much more now) Plus, the show was on a channel we often didn't get good reception on.

That said, the times we got good reception and the show came on? I wasn't leaving that TV until the show was over. The main reason: Transformation sequence. Had to see it. If it started up right now on TV, I'd stop typing until it was done.

I can't speak for everyone, but patterns like that can grab you as easily as storytelling. People can't walk away from CSI because they HAVE to see who that killer is. I had to see the He-Man transformation. Had to see Voltron formed. Wanted to see the Scooby gang pull that mask off. Power Rangers have mastered the art, stacking climactic moments throughout an episode.

I personally think that played a huge part in He-Man's TV success and probably helped establish a lot of kids' play pattern with the toys.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Think about that!
    But didn't you guys have the audio-plays that were easily accessible in stores/shops for kids to acquire?

Those emphasized the barbarian elements from what I understand (Battle Cat ready to slice and dice Skeletor at all times, etc).

As successful as it was in Germany, I'm sure it paled in comparison to the phenomenon it became in the US, due partly to FILMation.
    MotU did well in Germany till the end, which just came because the line ended in the US. It might as well have survived at least another year (and this 1 year longer than in the US) if new MotU stuff still was hitting stores instead of force-feeding the NA toys (that line succeeded MotU seamlessley over here, prompting many German fans to falsely assume that "NA ended MotU).

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    But didn't you guys have the audio-plays that were easily accessible in stores/shops for kids to acquire?
    Those emphasized the barbarian elements from what I understand (Battle Cat ready to slice and dice Skeletor at all times, etc).
    Yes. We gotta admit though that the audio plays used the Filmation premise (Prince Adam is He-Man's secret identity, heroes living in the Royal Palace) right from the beginning. Some stories more some stories less, and the first couple audio plays sometimes messed up details. But Filmation influence was there. So, while (most of) the audio plays did end up being more "barbarian" the Filmation, they still used the stuff that was introduced in the cartoon show.

And while I, too, keep saying the Filmation didn't play the huge role in Germany it did here, I'd dare say that it still influenced fans to a certain degree, due to "Secret of the Sword" and the VHS tapes.

On a side note, I never got how a handful fans referring to wave 1 and 2 minicomics as "Minternia" pretend that both waves share the same canon. The most I'd dare say on that regard is that Wave 1 minicomics is Pre-Filmation canon 1.0, Wave 2 is Pre-Filmation canon 1.5 and DC was Proto-Filmation canon.
    Last edited by Sir Reilly; January 7, 2013 at 06:45am.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Perhaps if you watch the show, then you will understand the comparisons. As someone who has the complete series and has seen every episode, I cannot watch it without thinking about the similarities to MinEternia.
    I'm not feeling a major connection...some similarity with magic/science and a barbarian guy, but it feels more like Star Wars mixed with Planet of the Apes. It's a trio wandering through a post-apocalyptic wasteland on a ruined earth. The original motu is set largely in a vast wilderness, or on the outskirts of Eternos. It centers around Castle Grayskull and Skeletor's desire for the power sword. Later, He-Man and Skeletor each have one half, which made it more similar to Blackstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Masters of the Universe was only a line of toys at the time. It did not have an animated series, books, comics, records or other media promoting it until the following year. So from the start, it was no bigger than Thundarr. The reason Thundarr the Barbarian did not go on to have toys, books, comics, records and other media promoting it because it did not gain sufficient popularity with kids.
    There were numerous books, comics, colouring/activity books, and other merchandise before the cartoon. After the cartoon, the many of the books and merchandise were still from the prefilmation canon for at least a year. These things existed, and were already picking up steam. If the cartoon had kept more of the story intact, I firmly believe it would have been just as popular. I also think that motu wouldn't have fallen into obscurity the way it has, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    To answer the original question.....no, no I don't. Then again if it wasn't for the Filmation cartoon I wouldn't have been interested as a kid. Everything I knew was from the show. I was very young and was one of the kids that threw out the comics.
    ...but what if the comics you threw away were the basis of the show? That's what people are trying to get at. Filmation literally turned the story upside down, and altered the way some of the characters looked.

The DC comics introduced Prince Adam, and the secret identity, but otherwise they at least maintained the looks of the characters, the 'feel' of Eternia, and the basic premise of the story, which was Skeletor's desire for the two halves of the power sword as well as Castle Grayskull. I like the DC comics quite a bit and they still feel very 'motu' to me. The cartoon...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post

...but what if the comics you threw away were the basis of the show? That's what people are trying to get at. Filmation literally turned the story upside down, and altered the way some of the characters looked.

The DC comics introduced Prince Adam, and the secret identity, but otherwise they at least maintained the looks of the characters, the 'feel' of Eternia, and the basic premise of the story, which was Skeletor's desire for the two halves of the power sword as well as Castle Grayskull. I like the DC comics quite a bit and they still feel very 'motu' to me. The cartoon...not so much.
    I don't disagree that for some people that's how it was. But to answer your question, I would have never known if the show was based on the comics or not so it wouldn't have mattered. For me personally and my friends at that time....He-man was a cool cartoon with cool toys. I was born in '79 so I was getting these toys before I could read. Without the cartoon tie in I just wouldn't have cared. Even after I could read I looked at the comics and then tossed them out. They were too different from the cartoon and the characters always looked different then the toys, which bugged me. I would have NEVER asked for She-ra if it wasn't for the Secret of the Sword movie (never got her btw 'cause mom wouldn't buy me a "girl toy"). I think that there are probably more people that were influenced by the cartoon tie in than not. You see that today with toys....and I'm not talking the ones that collectors are getting, I'm talking the ones kids actually ask for and play with. Right now my son wants everything Power Ranger....because of the show. He wanted Wreck it Ralph stuff.....cause of the show. He got a bunch of Legos for christmas....and prefers the Batman and Ninjago to the creator and city lines....because of the shows. That's just me and my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I think arguing that Filmation is to "kiddie" is a strange argument for any fan to make now.

Of course it was "kiddie" - it was a children's TV show. When I watched it back then, I took it seriously. When I watch it now, I realize that it's geared towards kids, and the villains are silly, etc.

But I still see the stories as having a lot of integrity.

Look at Evilseed and Marzo. Both were Filmation villains who were given a more adult reinvention in MYP. That would have worked for almost any Filmation character (Or POP or NA) because they are almost all great characters. That's why MOTU is successful. It is a character driven property and the characters and their stories are interesting... the stories are so good, in my opinion, that they work well simplified for kids OR given complexity and more adult themes to bring them to an adult audience.

All that being said, I think without the events that the brand experienced, it would not have the staying power it has today.

I LOVE pre-Filmation MOTU... but it is just one component of the brand that I love.

I will never relate to those fans who can only love one version of MOTU. I don't understand it.

For example, to me, MOTU is made up of:

-Pre-Filmation Mini-Comics
    -Kid Stuff Books & Records, and coloring books
    -'80's DC Comics
    -Filmation MOTU
    -POP mini-comics
    -Filmation POP
    -STAR Comics
    -'87 Movie
    -NA Mini-Comics
    -NA cartoon videos (I never saw the series on TV - only the videos that came with many of the toys)
    -MYP cartoon
    -MVC comic
    -Fan-Fics (gbagok & Iceman in particular)
    -MOTUC bios
    -DC digi-comics
    -current DC Comics

Sure, some of them conflict, but honestly, it's not difficult to appreciate the mythos by marrying all of this together.

It's a LUXURY to be able to do that.

But to the point: NO... had He-Man just remained a barbarian, it would have been fine for a little while, but the line wouldn't have lasted as long as it has... nor would it have been the billion dollar cash cow it has been for Mattel... nor would Dreamworks be prepping for anything to do with MOTU or POP.

You don't have to like any of the aforementioned components... you can ignore them if you want, but to say that any of them didn't contribute to the success of the brand is irresponsible.
    Well Said.

And until He-Man uses a character getting another hero of the show shot by accident for playing with a gun and utilize it as a story about why you should not play with guns, I will never consider it a great cartoon. In fact, the writers for Filmation were too scared to do anything with weapons period.
    Maybe not weapons, but Filmation was still not afraid to "go all out". I mean, a little kid died of a drugs overdose in Bravestarr. I don't think that has ever been topped for a children's cartoon.