Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do you think He-Man would have been as successful if he had stayed just a barbarian?

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I'm not feeling a major connection...some similarity with magic/science and a barbarian guy, but it feels more like Star Wars mixed with Planet of the Apes. It's a trio wandering through a post-apocalyptic wasteland on a ruined earth. The original motu is set largely in a vast wilderness, or on the outskirts of Eternos. It centers around Castle Grayskull and Skeletor's desire for the power sword. Later, He-Man and Skeletor each have one half, which made it more similar to Blackstar.
    A blonde barbarian with a magic sword travels the kingdoms of a post-apocalyptic world of magic and pre-catastrophe technology with a fighter and a formidable young sorceress speaking Elizabethan English and battling an evil wizard. Am I describing Thundarr the Barbarian or the world of MinEternia?

There were numerous books, comics, colouring/activity books, and other merchandise before the cartoon. After the cartoon, the many of the books and merchandise were still from the prefilmation canon for at least a year. These things existed, and were already picking up steam. If the cartoon had kept more of the story intact, I firmly believe it would have been just as popular. I also think that motu wouldn't have fallen into obscurity the way it has, but that's just my opinion.
    The earliest activity books, comic books, story books, and magazines are dated 1983, the same year as the animated series. The only published materials I have been able to find that predate the animated series are the first four miniature comics and the five full-comics by DC.
    Last edited by Adam_Prince of Eternia; January 7, 2013 at 05:03pm. Reason: Misspelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    A blonde barbarian with a magic sword travels the kingdoms of a post-apocalyptic world of magic and pre-catastrophe technology with a fighter and a formidable young sorceress speaking Elizabethan English and battling an evil wizard. Am I describe Thundarr the Barbarian or the world of MinEternia?
    There's a huge difference in plotline and settings. If it feels the same to you, that's fine, but I don't get that vibe from the show in all honesty.

The earliest activity books, comic books, story books, and magazines are dated 1983, the same year as the animated series. The only published materials I have been able to find that predate the animated series are the first four miniature comics and the five full-comics by DC.
    Filmation didn't debut until fall of 1983. I had a number of books and things beforehand, and I'm not the only one.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I know fans of the early initial barbarian stuff will probably find this blasphemous, but I've never even really considered that as a fully realized and seperate "style" of Motu. It's always seemed to me that those early storylines were just an afterthought in hopes that it would sell more toys. It was like they had all these different toy characters and then thought, "Ok, let's just come up with some reason for these guys to exist as fast as possible". Outside of the existence of Castle Grayskull, there was no real universe to speak of. I don't mean to say that it was bad, it was just half-baked. For better or worse, the Filmation He-Man was what the property generally developed into in its fully realized form. So in essense, I just think the barbarian evolved. Now, if the question is do I think He-Man could have continued to flourish in that bare bones original state for several years without a great deal of fleshing out of some sort, then no. Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I hate that every cartoon follows that cartoonish Bruce Timm style,
    I totally agree. The head asploding irony of it all is that my favorite He-Man mini-comics were drawn in a realistic style by none other than...... Bruce Timm.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I didn't mean generic in a bad way, just that the archetypes are fairly simple.

Believe me, I'm a big fan of both Conan and Tarzan. The first comics I ever read as a kid were the Tarzan comics from the 50's and I enjoyed them a great deal. However, when compared to He-Man and The Masters of the Universe, I believe both Conan and Tarzan are generic, or rather plain in comparison.
    I see what your saying. The injection of technology along with the sword & sorcery was (almost) new for the time, especially for a children's cartoon. Of course John Carter (in the Princess of Mars) stories is even more similar to MOTU. Heck, even Tarzan had scientific "tech" injected into his stories, albeit much later on...

Both Conan and Tarzan are very rich characters with deep backgrounds, but we have to remember that they were written for older readers. So in a sense, MOTU was pretty revolutionary for it's target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    To answer the original question.....no, no I don't. Then again if it wasn't for the Filmation cartoon I wouldn't have been interested as a kid. Everything I knew was from the show. I was very young and was one of the kids that threw out the comics.
    I think MANY children did this. Almost everyone of my friends in elementary school grew up with and were informed by the Filmation show. Even the adults that seemed to "get it" at the time were introduced to MOTU through watching television with their children. As I said before, pre-filmation MOTU would have remained popular with a specific audience for a long time, but it was the cartoon that launched the 80's MOTU-mania (in the U.S.) for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    As successful as it was in Germany, I'm sure it paled in comparison to the phenomenon it became in the US, due partly to FILMation.
    I agree. Certain toy-lines are extremely successful, but even more so when tied to a completely different type of widely dispersed media, i.e. cartoons, video games, movies.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I totally agree. The head asploding irony of it all is that my favorite He-Man mini-comics were drawn in a realistic style by none other than...... Bruce Timm.
    This is not a dig against the amazing Bruce Timm, it's more of a criticism of what happened to animated programs as a result of the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini 'toon' style. It started with shows like Batman: TAS, and Gargoyles. Then it pushed animated programs to a cartoony/silly/distorted standard of representing character designs. I am not saying shows such as The Superfriends, Spiderman and his Amazing Friends, He-Man, Bravestarr, depicted perfect human anatomy, but it was very realistic pre Batman: TAS. I am not a fan of anime, and I hate that American cartoon shows all use art styles which mimic anime. I hated Avatar, Don't care for Legend of Korra, and I just can't get into the DC animated superhero series. I can barely take the Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman movies seriously, despite the stories being fantastic and having adult plots.

Most cartoons...er...TOONS today look like Sponge Bob. Even the MYP He-Man cartoon used these techniques, which is why I cannot completely get into watching the show. I just read the scripts/stories...which are amazing.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    This is not a dig against the amazing Bruce Timm, it's more of a criticism of what happened to animated programs as a result of the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini 'toon' style. It started with shows like Batman: TAS, and Gargoyles. Then it pushed animated programs to a cartoony/silly/distorted standard of representing character designs. I am not saying shows such as The Superfriends, Spiderman and his Amazing Friends, He-Man, Bravestarr, depicted perfect human anatomy, but it was very realistic pre Batman: TAS. I am not a fan of anime, and I hate that American cartoon shows all use art styles which mimic anime. I hated Avatar, Don't care for Legend of Korra, and I just can't get into the DC animated superhero series. I can barely take the Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman movies seriously, despite the stories being fantastic and having adult plots.

Most cartoons...er...TOONS today look like Sponge Bob. Even the MYP He-Man cartoon used these techniques, which is why I cannot completely get into watching the show. I just read the scripts/stories...which are amazing.
    Oh yeah, I'm right there with ya. My comment wasn't meant to be sarcastic or anything. It's just always been weird to me that I don't like the stuff that has made Bruce Timm famous, yet I love something of his that most people don't even know exists (and certainly wouldn't recognize as his).

A blonde barbarian with a magic sword travels the kingdoms of a post-apocalyptic world of magic and pre-catastrophe technology with a fighter and a formidable young sorceress speaking Elizabethan English and battling an evil wizard. Am I describe Thundarr the Barbarian or the world of MinEternia?
    I think it's more about execution. Yes, they're similar premises, but execution makes all the difference. It's often said that in literature there are only a handful of plots. How the plots are executed is more important, I think.

If you talk about pop music as well, there are chord progressions that get used over and over again, but some work better than others due to production choices, uniqueness or quality of the performers, choice of tones, etc.

For example, "With or Without You" uses the same chord progression as Toto's "Africa."
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

If by "just a barbarian" you mean followed the storyline from the original 4 mini-comics, yes, I do believe the property would have been just as successful if that storyline had been the basis for the cartoons. Here's a taste of it.

Making him a barbarian does not mean aging it up...it's just a different storyline. See Conan the Adventurer for a very kid-friendly barbarian cartoon series.

There's a huge difference in plotline and settings. If it feels the same to you, that's fine, but I don't get that vibe from the show in all honesty.
    I can honestly say that I never watched Thundarr, and know little about it.

Filmation didn't debut until fall of 1983. I had a number of books and things beforehand, and I'm not the only one.
    Please add them to the publishing section of He-Man.org which does not have any publishing materials dated before 1983 other than the ones I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I think it's more about execution. Yes, they're similar premises, but execution makes all the difference. It's often said that in literature there are only a handful of plots. How the plots are executed is more important, I think.

If you talk about pop music as well, there are chord progressions that get used over and over again, but some work better than others due to production choices, uniqueness or quality of the performers, choice of tones, etc.

For example, "With or Without You" uses the same chord progression as Toto's "Africa."
    Of course there are differences in execution. Otherwise, they would be the exact same thing. It does not change how similar they are.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    If by "just a barbarian" you mean followed the storyline from the original 4 mini-comics, yes, I do believe the property would have been just as successful if that storyline had been the basis for the cartoons. Here's a taste of it.
    There is not really any exclusively MinEternia elements in this video. It could just as easily be set in the FILMation Masters of the Universe.

Heroic Warrior
    Oh yeah, I'm right there with ya. My comment wasn't meant to be sarcastic or anything. It's just always been weird to me that I don't like the stuff that has made Bruce Timm famous, yet I love something of his that most people don't even know exists (and certainly wouldn't recognize as his).
    I'm with you.

I can MILDLY tolerate that blocky square artwork on BTAS. it has a very 'crime noir/**** Tracy' old school look to it. It's ALMOST fitting for a 'gritty' batman show.

it was NOT however suitable for Superman.... and it was NOT suitable for the whole DCuniverse... And I am SERIOUSLY disappointed with how many shows have aped that styled and made it 'mainstream.'...

Like you said, that style is not really 'Bruce Timm'... He's had LOTS of artwork that was VERY cool!! But he chose that one style for one project, and I think it took a life of its own and got bigger then it should have.

I know fans of the early initial barbarian stuff will probably find this blasphemous, but I've never even really considered that as a fully realized and seperate "style" of Motu. It's always seemed to me that those early storylines were just an afterthought in hopes that it would sell more toys. It was like they had all these different toy characters and then thought, "Ok, let's just come up with some reason for these guys to exist as fast as possible". Outside of the existence of Castle Grayskull, there was no real universe to speak of. I don't mean to say that it was bad, it was just half-baked. For better or worse, the Filmation He-Man was what the property generally developed into in its fully realized form. So in essense, I just think the barbarian evolved. Now, if the question is do I think He-Man could have continued to flourish in that bare bones original state for several years without a great deal of fleshing out of some sort, then no. Absolutely not.
    100% Agree.

I LOVE the first four minis.. and I've always kept parts of that mythos alive. (remember.... they were the ONLY origins we had for Trap Jaw, Triklops, ram man etc....) Also a huge fan of the sword halfs and the power vest... Even after filmation became primary canon... I still kept that stuff in.

However... there was an interview on the .org somewhat recently that TOTALLY disillusioned me to the whole 'mini canon'. The guy who actually WROTE them came on, and spouted out some stuff about how he made crap up as he went... he didn't remember anything about where it came from... it was a crap job that he hated and was glad it was in the past and all SORTS of stuff that just made me die a bit inside...

Seriously if the guy who WROTE it didnt' care about it... then it's tough for US to spout it as the 'greatest canon'... That story was nothing but a list of 'action features' on the toys and one of a dozen projects he did that week or something... I wish I could find the link now

lol, I appreciate the attempt to throw my quote back at me, Adam, but I watched some Thundarr last night after you suggested it, which is what the opinions in my last post were based on.

As for books, here's a few from my personal collection, but there were others.

Published:1982
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=1865

Published: 1983, months before filmation. Was one of the first motu publications I owned. Website erroneously states 1999.
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=591

Published, 1982. Not on the site.

There were others, golden books and such. I'm sure this will be nitpicked over in some way, so if some other early-bird fans can step up in this discussion, I'm done arguing for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QT8IoPDN_8

Making him a barbarian does not mean aging it up...it's just a different storyline. See Conan the Adventurer for a very kid-friendly barbarian cartoon series.
    I see nothing that doesn't look as if it could be a prequel to Filmation....nothing about a barbarian there that sticks out to me. Hell even He-Man & Teela sound as if they were voiced by the Filmation crew (I know it's not likely though, but they sound very similar as MAA sounds like Mer-Man a little)....

Barbarian is more the barefoot He-Man from the Mini Comics....not this commercial....but a cool commercial though.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Of course there are differences in execution. Otherwise, they would be the exact same thing. It does not change how similar they are.
    Every romantic comedy has basically the same premise. Some are much better than others. Difference in execution is critical.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I see nothing that doesn't look as if it could be a prequel to Filmation....nothing about a barbarian there that sticks out to me. Hell even He-Man & Teela sound as if they were voiced by the Filmation crew (I know it's not likely though, but they sound very similar as MAA sounds like Mer-Man a little)....

Barbarian is more the barefoot He-Man from the Mini Comics....not this commercial....but a cool commercial though.
    He was barefoot for like four pages in the first mini comic. After that he looks pretty standard most of the time.

The commercial looks more like the early product art than either Filmation or mini comics to me.
    By the ancients!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    lol, I appreciate the attempt to throw my quote back at me, Adam, but I watched some Thundarr last night after you suggested it, which is what the opinions in my last post were based on.

Published: 1983, months before filmation. Was one of the first motu publications I owned. Website erroneously states 1999.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/a...u/33b540fb.jpg

There were others, golden books and such. I'm sure this will be nitpicked over in some way, so if some other early-bird fans can step up in this discussion, I'm done arguing for the day.
    Filmation came out in the Fall of 1983. MOTU came out maybe Fall of 1982...some of us remember getting MOTU around Christmas of 1981. But there was a whole bunch of books that use the No Prince Adam or Orko canon that came out before the Filmation canon hit. We have 4 Golden books, some coloring, activity, painting and sticker books, a record and storybook that came with Point Dread, the 5 DC comics and of course, the mini-comics.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Hell even He-Man & Teela sound as if they were voiced by the Filmation crew (I know it's not likely though, but they sound very similar as MAA sounds like Mer-Man a little) . . .
    Actually, this commercial was produced by FILMation. Mattel liked it so much that they commissioned the animated series.

Actually, this commercial was produced by FILMation. Mattel liked it so much that they commissioned the animated series.
    I didn't know that. I wish there was a better quality version.
    By the ancients!!!

I have been looking for full-episodes of Thundarr the Barbarian to share in this thread for three days but have not been able to find any online. If you have found one, then please post it.

An activity book, a coloring book, and a sticker book. Even presuming that there are others, this is not exactly numerous. Not to mention that these books tend to be light on content and light on continuity. I would wager that there is very little in these books that would establish them as being in either MinEternia or FILMation.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know that. I wish there was a better quality version.
    There is but it is in French.

Heroic Warrior
    In my opinion, no. The sword-and-sorcery fad in the early 80s (Conan, Dragonslayer, Beastmaster, Blademaster, Yor, etc) came and went very quickly, and MOTU would have went right along with it. The only reason it survived as long as it did was by reinventing itself here and there, adapting and staying fresh. The entertainment business as a whole was done with the barbarian phase by '85, Reaching out to so many other directions helped them survive a couple of years longer.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Do you think He-Man would have been as successful if he had stayed just a barbarian?

NO

I believe without the Filmation cartoon the toy line would have died much sooner. The cartoon moved He-Man away from the "Conan" world seen in the first mini comics and moved it to a deeper world of magic and technology. I for one had no interest in the mini comics being that I was only 3-4 when I started play with figures. But I loved that cartoon, and I to this day don't like the early mini comics, I don't see He-Man as just a barbarian, Conan rip off.

bcrDuke made great point. It really seems to come down to age, those who are older when the line started seem to like the pre-filmation era. Those of us who were younger and not reading yet seem to have latched on to the cartoon. It never seemed silly to me a kid, I saw it as an epic battle between good and evil.
    Last edited by Slave2Evil_Lyn; January 8, 2013 at 01:22am.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Yeah, they talked about them being under fire in the Xmas Special DVD, which I do not even know how when nobody ever really hit anyone. They always jumped out of the way, deflected laser beams, and then threw each other. All He-Man ever did with his sword was juggle it and then use it to transform.
    Fanatics who want to see a demon behind every bush... My mother for one wouldn't have been satisfied with He-man unless he had gone to church on the Christmas special and repented of hanging out with the Sorceress.

And I don't think He-man would have been successful as a barbarian only. How many kids in the 80's aspired to barbarian status? He-man was successful, for one, because he transported the goofy prince Adam in all of us into a plain of power and strength as He-man we couldn't have achieved as some cave man. For a half hour every time MOTU came on we could visualize ourselves as powerful and strong even for the sake of good. As kids we couldn't exactly achieve all of that. He-man appealed to my desire to be big, strong, powerful and good and for just a little while now and then I could escape the fact that life was dictated to me and instead for just a little bit, now and then I could be the most powerful man in the universe.
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Jeremy; January 8, 2013 at 04:23am.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    An activity book, a coloring book, and a sticker book. Even presuming that there are others, this is not exactly numerous. Not to mention that these books tend to be light on content and light on continuity. I would wager that there is very little in these books that would establish them as being in either MinEternia or FILMation.
    There was more than that. There weren't alot of books, we're talking about a year and a half or so of merchandise when the line first started. The merchandising machine didn't go full-tilt until Filmation took off.

But here are the top signs that you're probably reading a Pre-Filmation tale...
    No Adam
    No Cringer
    No Orko
    No Filmation Sorceress
    No "By the Power of Grayskull" transformation

A good sign that the canon is Pre-Filmation is if you see the Spirit of Castle Grayskull, He-Man using his axe and shield or Power Sword halves in the story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    100% Agree.

I LOVE the first four minis.. and I've always kept parts of that mythos alive. (remember.... they were the ONLY origins we had for Trap Jaw, Triklops, ram man etc....) Also a huge fan of the sword halfs and the power vest... Even after filmation became primary canon... I still kept that stuff in.

However... there was an interview on the .org somewhat recently that TOTALLY disillusioned me to the whole 'mini canon'. The guy who actually WROTE them came on, and spouted out some stuff about how he made crap up as he went... he didn't remember anything about where it came from... it was a crap job that he hated and was glad it was in the past and all SORTS of stuff that just made me die a bit inside...

Seriously if the guy who WROTE it didnt' care about it... then it's tough for US to spout it as the 'greatest canon'... That story was nothing but a list of 'action features' on the toys and one of a dozen projects he did that week or something... I wish I could find the link now
    You're talking about that Don F. Glut interview, right?

He might not have cared about what he was writing, since he was making characters that he didn't own, but look at the END RESULT today! This amazing fantasy world that was built on something that he wasn't passionate about. All of those toys and great characters that came about and he wasn't passionate about it.

He-Man defending Eternia and protecting Castle Grayskull's secrets from Skeletor was not thought up by Lou Schiemer.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    In my opinion, no. The sword-and-sorcery fad in the early 80s (Conan, Dragonslayer, Beastmaster, Blademaster, Yor, etc) came and went very quickly, and MOTU would have went right along with it. The only reason it survived as long as it did was by reinventing itself here and there, adapting and staying fresh. The entertainment business as a whole was done with the barbarian phase by '85, Reaching out to so many other directions helped them survive a couple of years longer.
    Yeah, but IMO the quality of the line took a real nose dive after 1985.
    By the ancients!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    There was more than that. There weren't alot of books, we're talking about a year and a half or so of merchandise when the line first started. The merchandising machine didn't go full-tilt until Filmation took off.

No Adam
    No Cringer
    No Orko
    No Filmation Sorceress

A good sign that the canon is Pre-Filmation is if you see the Spirit of Castle Grayskull, He-Man using his axe and shield or Power Sword halves in the story.
    ^ This, exactly. Thanks Max. That's exactly what is contained within these publications, and I'll add another: Skeketor kidnapping Teela to be his bride.

Adam: you keep moving the goalposts. First you claimed no comics, books, media, etc. Then you conceded to the DC comics, then when presented with publications you basically say it's not good enough, and question the content. I only posted 3 that I own, that were from that era, but that's 3 more than you claimed existed.
    Next up: the demand for scans of the insides, and then "See? It's just like Thundarr".
    This is straying far from the topic, which is if one thinks it would have been popular or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Jeremy View Post
    And I don't think He-man would have been successful as a barbarian only. How many kids in the 80's aspired to barbarian status? He-man was successful, for one, because he transported the goofy prince Adam in all of us into a plain of power and strength as He-man we couldn't have achieved as some cave man. For a half hour every time MOTU came on we could visualize ourselves as powerful and strong even for the sake of good. As kids we couldn't exactly achieve all of that. He-man appealed to my desire to be big, strong, powerful and good and for just a little while now and then I could escape the fact that life was dictated to me and instead for just a little bit, now and then I could be the most powerful man in the universe.
    A point of view I can appreciate. Since I started off in the franchise before there was a secret identity, it was jarring when they introduced it. However I can see the appeal based on what you've written here.

I certainly would not care about MOTUC if I had not gotten into the Filmation cartoon, so to that end I can safely say I would be out of MOTU. Just take a show of hands or look at one of the polls about what canon or source of MOTU more liked or followed....that will tell you, certainly a lot of people knew of the toyline before Filmation, I for one did not....but in the end love it or hate it, Filmation is responsible for why we're all here today in this board, otherwise it would be a tiny board dedicated to the lovers of the Vintage lines few waves that made it out. Because how many toys were Filmation based after the cartoon took off, and how many more toys were made after regardless of if they appeared in Filmation or not? That being said, likely 3 waves would have been all you got. And POP, NA, 200X and MOTUC fans would not be battling it out over their personal preferences today.

Every romantic comedy has basically the same premise. Some are much better than others. Difference in execution is critical.

- - - Updated - - -

He was barefoot for like four pages in the first mini comic. After that he looks pretty standard most of the time.

The commercial looks more like the early product art than either Filmation or mini comics to me.
    There you go, it's not only a lost MOTU commercial it's the lost first episode of Filmation!!!

MAA clearly grew his stache and pulled the frog from his throat....then Mer-Man swallowed it.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 8, 2013 at 02:40pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    No Adam
    No Cringer
    No Orko
    No Filmation Sorceress

An excellent delineation. The commercial link that I posted adheres to this list almost entirely. The absence of the Sorceress inside Grayskull alone says this is more aligned with the original four "barbarian" stories. The fact that the art is a different style, He-Man uses an axe, Skeletor (albeit temporarily) controls Castle Grayskull, Man-At-Arms has his toy accurate armor and no mustache, just reinforces the argument.

As a kid, my friends and I would have welcomed the bleaker, savage wasteland, no-royal palace, barbarian stories even if they were told with Filmation's lackluster animation style. Most of them dropped off after the cartoon premiered because they dismissed MOTU as baby stuff.