Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Do you think He-Man would have been as successful if he had stayed just a barbarian?

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    An excellent delineation. The commercial link that I posted adheres to this list almost entirely. The absence of the Sorceress inside Grayskull alone says this is more aligned with the original four "barbarian" stories. The fact that the art is a different style, He-Man uses an axe, Skeletor (albeit temporarily) controls Castle Grayskull, Man-At-Arms has his toy accurate armor and no mustache, just reinforces the argument.

As a kid, my friends and I would have welcomed the bleaker, savage wasteland, no-royal palace, barbarian stories even if they were told with Filmation's lackluster animation style. Most of them dropped off after the cartoon premiered because they dismissed MOTU as baby stuff.
    He-Man may have an axe and no sword, but being this commercial attracted Mattel to Filmation, being Filmation made the commercial....being pre-Filmation cartoon, and just because Sorceress is missing, of note, Goddess or any Grayskull protector is missing as well, so this is no indication, Skeletor may have rendered either one powerless and they are out of sight....the only thing tying this commercial to Pre-Filmation is the axe in He-Man's hand....and being that Filmation had yet to initiate it's take on the characters....that would be why MAA looks like his toy, and not the cartoon, which was spawned from this commercial....And I see no real Barbarianism in this commercial.

The art is different likely only because it was based on the Comic art as the cartoon came after this commercial, but the commercial was done by Filmation, it was stated on here, as well as being noted in many places elsewhere....

And as far as He-Man being babified....that is all a matter of perspective. Yes it could have been a little more aggressive, but being it was 30 years ago, I am just fine with how it turned out, if Filmation aired today like today, of course it would be tame by today's lame ass cartoon standards, hell even Simpsons has more adult content, but by nature Filmtaion was aimed at young kids, and the parents of said kids, who mostly had well more standards for their kids than many of today's parents do. Despite Filmation being more tamed....it is still my preferred canon, and the introduction of mine into MOTU. No Filmation, I would not be here today, and that is all I care about.

Also if you listen the voices are similar if not the actual Filmation voice actors....although MAA is seemingly voiced by Oppenheimer using a more Mer-Manish voice. But He-Man sounds exactly like John Erwin.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 8, 2013 at 04:48pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Adam: you keep moving the goalposts. First you claimed no comics, books, media, etc. Then you conceded to the DC comics, then when presented with publications you basically say it's not good enough, and question the content. I only posted 3 that I own, that were from that era, but that's 3 more than you claimed existed.
    MegaGearMax stated that Masters of the Universe was more prolific than Thundarr the Barbarian from its inception because Thundarr the Barbarian did not have a line of toys or other media. I replied with the contrapositive to illustrate that by the same reasoning, Masters of the Universe was not more prolific than Thundarr the Barbarian from its inception because Masters of the Universe did not have an animated series or other media. Obviously, that neither property had "other media" is rhetorical because both properties had a comic book as I went on to acknowledge.

You then stated that there were "numerous" published materials predating the animated series. I acknowledged this, but noted that I had only been able to identify the the first four miniature comics and the five full-comics by DC.

You then stated that you had "a number" of other materials. I replied, noting again that I had not found any materials other than those I had mentioned, and asked that if you had others, to please add them to the publishing section.

You identified an activity book that had been miscategorized, a coloring book, and a sticker book that was not on the site. I acknowledged that the materials did indeed predate the animated series and further acknowledged that there may be others. I noted however, that I would not characterize this as "numerous" as you did. I also noted that activity, coloring, and sticker books at best have a loose narrative structured around the interactive elements which would not necessarily identify them as being exclusively in one continuity or another.

I understood your point to be that there are numerous materials establishing the mythology of MinEternia before the animated series. My point is that those materials are neither numerous in that while there were a number of such materials there was no "great quantity" of them, nor are they well-established in that they do not necessarily preclude Masters of the Universe from being in one continuity or the another.

If it seems like the goal post was moved it is because the argument I was having with MegaGearMax is separate from the one I was having with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    But here are the top signs that you're probably reading a Pre-Filmation tale...
    No Adam
    No Cringer
    No Orko
    No Filmation Sorceress
    No "By the Power of Grayskull" transformation
    By this guideline, Masters of the Universe: The Motion Picture would predate FILMation.

A good sign that the canon is Pre-Filmation is if you see the Spirit of Castle Grayskull, He-Man using his axe and shield or Power Sword halves in the story.
    The Spirit of Grayskull appears in an episode of the animated series, as well as an instance of He-Man using his shield. Although neither resembles its comic counterpart. The only thing listed that is really exclusive to MinEternia is the two halves of the Power Sword.

I also just looked at proof that Filmation animated that commercial, and apparently that footage used was really what was used to sell networks and Mattel on the show, even though Mattel had already set up the plans with Lou to do so, but they needed network approval, and the animation is the same animation models used. And obviously why they went to the animation they used for the final show, it was cheaper, although they still could have done a bit more original cells than they did. But a budget is a budget, and Filmation wasn't paying for the show themselves, so....Blame Mattel for having such a cheap budget, not Filmation.

And the proof....anyone who has the complete season DVD's by Mills Creek, watch the Season 1 Disc 8 bonus features....you'll see the artwork ultimately used....

So, that commercial....is not Pre-Filmation, it's just pre official cartoon, hence why the characters are more figure oriented than cartoon, IE....MAA's missing mustache and armor, and He-Man using the axe.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    One of the greatest cartoons of all time?

tries to hold in laughter

Sorry, check out Gargoyles, Batman TAS, Animaniacs, and The Simpsons (only through Season 9). I can think of at least 25 cartoons better than the Filmation He-Man show, and none of them are from the 80s. In fact, the 80s were terrible cartoons in today's world. Yeah, I grew up on them too, but not a single one of them can hold a candle to the toons of the 90s and early 00s. They just did not age well at all.

Now is it one of the better cartoons from the 80s? Unfortunately, yes. It isn't better than Thundercats, She-Ra, or Transformers, but it is better than the GI Joe toon (especially now that I have read the Joe comics from then, which are so much better) and Silverhawks.

Yes, Filmation's He-man and the Masters of the Universe is the best cartoon of all time. 80's cartoons > cartoons from all other eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
    Yes, Filmation's He-man and the Masters of the Universe is the best cartoon of all time. 80's cartoons > cartoons from all other eras.
    I second this....while I liked the new Thundercats, I preferred the 80's Thundercats, and all this other garbage today....is garbage....I like Ben 10, I liked the 90's Superman & Batman animated shows from the WB, I liked Yugi-Oh as well. I used to watch Pokemon, but all the voice actor changes ****** me off, so I stopped watching it, I didn't like Transformers Animated much, I like Prime somewhat, I never cared for Beast Wars or anything up to Animated. To me nothing compares to the originals in the 80's as far as story and characters. Sure MOTU could have been a little more edgy, like Thundercats & Transformers, but I love it still just the same, and can easily watch 80's toons today. Sure I laugh a bit at some things because it's somewhat cheesy, but I don't care, it's what I remember and what I love, and what I am tied to. Nothing else compares....

Yeah the 80's was a simpler time, but not everyone needs blood, guts and sex to sell them on something, I more story oriented, and I got that, I didn't need He-Man running Beast Man through to satisfy me. But I guess some people have to have violence everyday to quench them, I don't.

It is quite easily one of the best if not memorable cartoons aimed to kids ever....I would easily sit my son down to watch Transformers, Thundercats and MOTU over letting him watch garbage like Adventure Time, Spongebob, Gumball or Chowder. And I hate the animation on a lot of new cartoons, it's horrible, like GI Joe Renegades, the new Voltron, Thundercats (2011) was great animation, But Transformers Animated....not so much, and Prime could be much better too.

Hell even Transformers Rescue Bots is better than a lot of other crap today, and after watching a lot of it....it's worthy of the 80's.

I loved and miss the 80's, it was a simpler time, and there was a lot of great television to watch, nothing was crap ass reality, and the cartoons were awesome, as was the music.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I certainly would not care about MOTUC if I had not gotten into the Filmation cartoon, so to that end I can safely say I would be out of MOTU. Just take a show of hands or look at one of the polls about what canon or source of MOTU more liked or followed....that will tell you, certainly a lot of people knew of the toyline before Filmation, I for one did not....but in the end love it or hate it, Filmation is responsible for why we're all here today in this board, otherwise it would be a tiny board dedicated to the lovers of the Vintage lines few waves that made it out. Because how many toys were Filmation based after the cartoon took off, and how many more toys were made after regardless of if they appeared in Filmation or not? That being said, likely 3 waves would have been all you got. And POP, NA, 200X and MOTUC fans would not be battling it out over their personal preferences today.
    I disagree. Sales weren't dropping on MOTU by Fall of 1983. The media expansion was in full swing by then. If anything MOTU was growing stronger. Filmation didn't save the brand, because it was already successful. Filmation made the brand even more popular.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    By this guideline, Masters of the Universe: The Motion Picture would predate FILMation.
    The movie features the Filmation Sorceress. Pre-Filmation's Sorceress/Goddess wore a snake motif. But the 1987 movie did have somethings in common with the original mini-comics.

The Spirit of Grayskull appears in an episode of the animated series, as well as an instance of He-Man using his shield. Although neither resembles its comic counterpart. The only thing listed that is really exclusive to MinEternia is the two halves of the Power Sword.
    But those instances do not show up all the time to confuse fans between the two canons.

The Spirit of Grayskull pretty much was the guardian of Grayskull in the Mini-Comics instead of The Filmation Sorceress. The Spirit rising out of the Castle after a battle at Grayskull is a Pre-Filmation aspect.

The Axe and Shield were He-Man's primary weapons in Pre-Filmation. He-Man uses the Power Sword almost exclusively in most of the other canons.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I

The movie features the Filmation Sorceress. Pre-Filmation's Sorceress/Goddess wore a snake motif. But the 1987 movie did have somethings in common with the original mini-comics.
    Ehhhh the filmation version wore blue and orange and looked like a bird motif....

the '87 sorceress was her own thing.. I wouldn't peg her as either filmation OR mini-comic....

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Ehhhh the filmation version wore blue and orange and looked like a bird motif....

the '87 sorceress was her own thing.. I wouldn't peg her as either filmation OR mini-comic....
    Personally I see the movie version as being closer to TOD....which would make her mini comic.......but anyway, I've read everyone's arguments and still think.....no, He-man would not have been as successful if he stayed just being a random barbarian.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Without reading all the pages in the middle (just skimming over the usernames therein I have a pretty good idea what was said), I would say, emphatically, NO!, He-Man would not be the success it is today had it stuck with its original barbarian roots. Seriously, the Conan / Tarzan thing has been done to death, and the market for that type of story is anything but all-encompassing (especially when some unspoken mandate demands that the woman wear nothing more than teacups over Triple-D breasts).

Conversely, what made He-Man so popular, in my opinion, was the interpersonal drama (e.g., Adam having to hide his duel-identity and the varying degrees of hurt that caused everyone else in his life) in addition to the swords and sorcery and tech angles. Thus, it drew in not only those who were interested in pure swords and sorcery stuff, but also those who were interested in something far more substantial. Also, by having a wide-ranging cast of characters, producers were predisposed to tackling a larger number of issues (e.g., drug addiction, greed, ability, class, etc.), which, again, increased the audience pool. Finally, because the post-barbarian He-Man was part of a much larger world, it furthered the possibility for expansion (e.g., POP and NA), which, again, grew the audience (and those who would remember He-Man fondly in later life).
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

I disagree. Sales weren't dropping on MOTU by Fall of 1983. The media expansion was in full swing by then. If anything MOTU was growing stronger. Filmation didn't save the brand, because it was already successful. Filmation made the brand even more popular.
    I never said that, but the MOTU brand itself would not be here today as it is with MOTUC if not for Filmation bringing in well more kids than the toys and comics did....the line would have not lasted until '87 without Filmation behind it, and we certainly would be lighter those characters that originated in Filmation....

The lines after would not have likely been there since NA features Adam, a Filmation created character, 200X features Adam, and loosely based it's story from Filmation....so we would have no MOTUC. Sorry, but the popularity of MOTU would not have lasted long after if Filmation did not carry it. And certainly the Barbarian aspect would not have carried it.

I am not arguing the line started strong, and would have had a small following, but it is clear that without the marketing and story that was Filmation, MOTU would not be what we were talking about now. As I would not even be here to talk about it, because MOTUC wouldn't exist, and I would care less about a MOTU forum dedicated to toys I likely would have never otherwise played with if not for that 30 minute commercial.

Say what you like, Paperbacks and cassette books, did not sell me on a brand I cared nothing about, you can say it was growing stronger, but a lot of lines get stronger for a couple waves, and then without widespread media....fail either due to lack of interest or poor handling....Mattel approached Filmation, because they needed to get a foot into television where most kids of the day, and even today were and still are. Filmation may not have had to save the brand initially, but it is responsible for carrying it to what it is today, without it we simply wouldn't be discussing MOTUC today.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 9, 2013 at 03:00pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I'm sure He-Man still would have been successfull had they property stayed in the "barbarian" realm. However, for me personally, I don't think it would have been as appealing. I have a feeling the property wouldn't have had as wide and diverse a fan-base had it stuck to barbarian territory. It's the part of the property that is the least interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    He-Man would not be the success it is today had it stuck with its original barbarian roots. Seriously, the Conan / Tarzan thing has been done to death
    The eighties were the golden age of barbarian themed entertainment. There's no doubt that He-Man would have been just as successful without the campy Filmation silliness. I never watched Thundarr, but I have fond memories of Ralph Bakshi's Fire and Ice and to a lesser extent Galtar and the Golden Lance. That's how I would have imagined a proper He-Man cartoon.

some unspoken mandate demands that the woman wear nothing more than teacups over Triple-D breasts).
    You say that like it's a bad thing

Conversely, what made He-Man so popular, in my opinion, was the interpersonal drama (e.g., Adam having to hide his duel-identity and the varying degrees of hurt that caused everyone else in his life) in addition to the swords and sorcery and tech angles.
    The dual identity is my main gripe with Filmation. Now thàt's something that has been done to death by just about every superhero around. And although his stache still gave him away, Don Diego at least tried by putting on a mask while Adam just got a tan. The 200X series made Adam a bit more acceptable, but I didn't care too much for that pesky teen either.

As far as I'm concerned the whole Adam persona is dragging the story down and I really hope that a new movie would ditch the character entirely, like the '87 movie did - and for the better, I might add. The story should be about He-Man, Eternia's greatest warrior ... not about a wimpy prince who can secretly turn himself into something he is not.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    The eighties were the golden age of barbarian themed entertainment. There's no doubt that He-Man would have been just as successful without the campy Filmation silliness. I never watched Thundarr, but I have fond memories of Ralph Bakshi's Fire and Ice and to a lesser extent Galtar and the Golden Lance. That's how I would have imagined a proper He-Man cartoon.

You say that like it's a bad thing

The dual identity is my main gripe with Filmation. Now thàt's something that has been done to death by just about every superhero around. And although his stache still gave him away, Don Diego at least tried by putting on a mask while Adam just got a tan. The 200X series made Adam a bit more acceptable, but I didn't care too much for that pesky teen either.

As far as I'm concerned the whole Adam persona is dragging the story down and I really hope that a new movie would ditch the character entirely, like the '87 movie did - and for the better, I might add. The story should be about He-Man, Eternia's greatest warrior ... not about a wimpy prince who can secretly turn himself into something he is not.
    In case you never noticed Adam was not a wimp, he just played a wimp like Clark Kent did, there were episodes where Adam did heavy things, Just because he doesn't have the power like He-Man as Adam, doesn't mean he's any less strong, he's just as strong as MAA and anyone else who's ripped....now the 200X Adam, that's another story. And The dual Identity is in the top of what I like about it.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

In case you never noticed Adam was not a wimp, he just played a wimp like Clark Kent did, there were episodes where Adam did heavy things, Just because he doesn't have the power like He-Man as Adam, doesn't mean he's any less strong, he's just as strong as MAA and anyone else who's ripped....now the 200X Adam, that's another story. And The dual Identity is in the top of what I like about it.
    I can't recall Adam doing anything heavy in Filmation, but then again, I don't remember every episode, so if you can direct me to those episodes I'll gladly rewatch them and eat my words if necessary

Anyhow, strong or not, it wouldn't make me appreciate the character more. The new DC comics empowered Adam greatly and I still don't care for him.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I can't recall Adam doing anything heavy in Filmation, but then again, I don't remember every episode, so if you can direct me to those episodes I'll gladly rewatch them and eat my words if necessary

Anyhow, strong or not, it wouldn't make me appreciate the character more. The new DC comics empowered Adam greatly and I still don't care for him.
    There's a lot of episodes where Adam makes the comments he can't do anything or he'll reveal himself, plus he sword fights with Teela, even though he acts clumsy, plus he tests all of the MAA inventions, I can't remember specific episodes, but I'll be sure to re watch all 130 just to find the parts I am thinking of.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I watched Thundarr as a kid and loved it....but it was more than a barbarian as well. Postapocalyptic world, futuristic, some Star Wars like elements (light sword, Chewbacca like sidekick.....would not have kept my interest if he was just a barbarian.....much like MOTU. I know it's hard for some to believe but Filmation is what took He-man from a cool toy to an 80's icon.

If He-Man was left as a Barbarian, he would have just been another Conan wannabe. At the time of He-Man's creation, Conan was hot stuff - thanks to good old Arnie. You also had the Beastmaster, who arguably cashed in on the barbarian trend as well. What made He-Man unique was the addition of science fiction elements. The toy line was doing well, but the cartoon series - which increased the sci-fi elements slightly, took the brand to another level. There were several similar toy lines in the boys toy isle - Blackstar and other knock offs, but BECAUSE of the cartoon, He-Man stood out.

The addition of Prince Adam gave He-Man another dimension that made him relatible - he was an everyday guy, a lazy goofball who could tap into great powers and become a super hero. That's every kids' fantasy. It also added drama/conflict - oh my god, is Adam's secret going to be discovered? I personally felt that one of the MOST important elements missing from the '87 film was Prince Adam. He-Man was just boring without him - the ultimate do-gooder that could do no wrong who was looked up to by all the allies and reviled by all the enemies. What's so interesting about that?
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Heroic Warrior
    But as you point out... we HAD Fire and Ice and Galatar and Thundarr and Blackstar on the airwaves...

We also had Toys of things like Blackstar and Warlord and other figures clogging the aisles...

It's hard to say YES... Barbarian he-man would have lasted... when All the OTHER barbarian things crashed and burned. Only ONE of them actually got a 30th anniversary celebrated

There's a lot of episodes where Adam makes the comments he can't do anything or he'll reveal himself, plus he sword fights with Teela, even though he acts clumsy, plus he tests all of the MAA inventions,
    The skinny MYP Adam did that kind of thing too, even besting Teela in a duel in one episode. I don't think having equal strength to someone like Duncan makes him an equally skilled fighter, but he can definitely hold his own. Having to hide his skills/secret identity and make his father proud of him makes Adam/He-Man a much more interesting character than when he was just a barbarian. In my opinion, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The skinny MYP Adam did that kind of thing too, even besting Teela in a duel in one episode. I don't think having equal strength to someone like Duncan makes him an equally skilled fighter, but he can definitely hold his own. Having to hide his skills/secret identity and make his father proud of him makes Adam/He-Man a much more interesting character than when he was just a barbarian. In my opinion, anyway.
    But having the equal strength and ability to use it if needed does mean he's no wimp, that was my point, and yes, the hiding of the identity is a sort of drama behind the kiddishness as some say of the cartoon. Where I find it more appealing and relatable than if the guy wore the gray strap 24-7, and rode the big green cat all day. I would be very boring to watch a 30 minute show about a guy with an Axe and Shield smashing things to pieces while holding onto a sword that does nothing, because he's He-Man 24-7, I mean he wasn't He-Man before the sword was assembled, and he didn't have superhuman strength....the sword gives him a one time power boost, and he goes from being Batman to Superman in furry underwear, but stays that way....boring. The dual identity gives an aspect that if he's ever caught off guard while posing as Adam (which is his super powerless true identity) he's sort of screwed, unlike Superman who has powers regardless, except when weakened by something. That makes a better story line than a permanently supercharged Barbarian who wandered around Barefoot until meeting a green woman, even David Banner came down from Being Hulk.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I loved the cartoon, but I hated the goofiness of all the side kicks. I was a little disappoint when I got my He-man action figure and read the comic which was in conflict with the show. IMHO, the barbarian had potential, but it is hard to compare to the cartoon story because its universe never had time to mature and develop. I think the catch phase, I have the power, the Captain Marvel transformation and the interaction of the characters, made Heman the hit that he was today. Otherwise, he would have probably have stopped being made in 1984. I can remember stacks of wave 1 just sitting in the stores, until the cartoon came out. I think GIJOE and later Transformers would have simply out shined them.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I loved and miss the 80's, it was a simpler time, and there was a lot of great television to watch, nothing was crap ass reality, and the cartoons were awesome, as was the music.
    QFT!

Although, I wouldn't call Adventure Time garbage... I kind of enjoy it. Gumball and Chowder on the other hand........ yuck!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    y'know... i was just looking over some of the original 4 minis, and I was kind of shocked how often the bad guy's plan was...

GRAB HE-MAN BEFORE HE GETS HIS POWERVEST ON!!!!

Soooooo technichely even WITHOUT Prince Adam around, there was STILL the aspect of 'sometimes' he has power, and SOMEtimes he does NOT....

Even back then they recognized the need for a 'weaker' version to make him a more relatable character. Personally, I prefer Prince Adam hiding his powers over 'Naked He-man' any time

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    But having the equal strength and ability to use it if needed does mean he's no wimp, that was my point, and yes, the hiding of the identity is a sort of drama behind the kiddishness as some say of the cartoon. Where I find it more appealing and relatable than if the guy wore the gray strap 24-7, and rode the big green cat all day. I would be very boring to watch a 30 minute show about a guy with an Axe and Shield smashing things to pieces while holding onto a sword that does nothing, because he's He-Man 24-7, I mean he wasn't He-Man before the sword was assembled, and he didn't have superhuman strength....the sword gives him a one time power boost, and he goes from being Batman to Superman in furry underwear, but stays that way....boring. The dual identity gives an aspect that if he's ever caught off guard while posing as Adam (which is his super powerless true identity) he's sort of screwed, unlike Superman who has powers regardless, except when weakened by something. That makes a better story line than a permanently supercharged Barbarian who wandered around Barefoot until meeting a green woman, even David Banner came down from Being Hulk.
    I find most secret identity drama as needless. Why not tell Teela (his bodyguard and captain of the guard) and his folks who he is? That eliminates needless fake tension. Friggin' Orko knows over them.

Pre-Filmation He-Man didn't have a secret identity, but he dramatic tension as he wasn't as invincible as the Filmation version. He was alot more defeatable and had to get ambushed by Skeletor's minions for them to win. He-Man obviously survived the attacks and beat them by the end of the story.

You make Pre-Filmation seem so limited, but imagine if that had 130 episodes of that He-Man. The only things missing would be Orko, Cringer and Adam. Oh, and the Sorceress/Goddess' bird costume.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I think I remember something like this topic mentioned before great quiestion and I belive that it could have been possible for Heman to have been popular staying the lone barbaric musscle head leaveing his small village in search of adventure.

I for one was apalled when I first saw adam in the cartoon I was like who is prince adam I hated that they changed the origanal mini comic origin bothered me for a long time.but then I relised that I should be happy that Hemans story was continueing.

The prince adam idea has grown on me. but I choose to remove or add him to my mythos at my own lesure.