Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how did the Sorceress go from a snake to a falcon?

It is not where I am that matters, it is when

So how did the Sorceress go from a snake to a falcon?

I noticed that in the original mini-comics, the Sorceress wore the snake armor that Teela came with. How did she go from being a snake then to a falcon?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Zoar (ie: the version that came with MOTUC Teela) was a male falcon and the messenger of the Goddess/Sorceress. The toy version had the more well-known colours, and for the cartoon, I guess they just decided to merge the two characters.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    I dont think anyone that ever worked on Masters ever understood the true fear symbolism of the Snake-imagery.

,,(..I do.)

Who knows, I'm still wondering how He-Man's castle is a skull when it would make more sense for Skeletor.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    I dont think anyone that ever worked on Masters ever understood the true fear symbolism of the Snake-imagery.

,,(..I do.)
    okay then...would you share your knowing with us?satanism?anything else?..

Its not satanisms.

Its animals.
    There is alot of metaphorical stuff in Masters, grounded in earth reality.
    (the Sorceress with her bird-imagery ,, and snakemountain ,, birds and snakes dont get along)

Simple.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Actually, when you come down to it, it's all Egyptian mythology. Set is quite often depicted as being a snake and Horus is a falcon. This is why I did not find anything odd about the Sorceress' look being Egyptian in the 2002 cartoon. In fact, it made far more sense to me than a chicken suit.

Nevertheless, I still want to know what made Filmation decide to go with a Falcon for the Sorceress instead of sticking with what they already had. Or who knows, maybe it is as simple as Whiplash said.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Don't animals in nature predate the egyptions??

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Actually, when you come down to it, it's all Egyptian mythology. Set is quite often depicted as being a snake and Horus is a falcon. This is why I did not find anything odd about the Sorceress' look being Egyptian in the 2002 cartoon. In fact, it made far more sense to me than a chicken suit.
    Indeed. Nephthys, or the Lady of the Temple, is an Egyptian goddess who represents divine assistance and protective guardianship, and is often depicted as a falcon, or as a woman with falcon wings, usually outstretched as a symbol of her protective proclivities. Not restricted to a purely passive status, Nephthys is often featured as a rather ferocious and dangerous divinity, capable of incinerating her enemies.

Don't forget the vintage Sorceress figure and especially her scepter, they both look inspired by Egyptian goddess Isis. Nephthys and Isis are sisters, but it seems that Isis is more often represented with wings.

but her scepter even more look like Horus (son of Isis)

and her cap in Filmation design could be inspired by Horus head:

Last edited by Mantisaur82; January 8, 2013 at 10:21am.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    The mini comics did tons of stuff that was later overwritten by what Filmation did. Filmation stuff ultimately leaked into the mini comics. Maybe the writers (like most people mentioned) thought the snake imagery wasn't fitting for such a character. They probably had similar thoughts about castle Grayskull, but that was too important as it already had a $$ toy, where as the Teela figure could still stand without being sold as the goddess.

I don't see it as they changed there mind as much as a bunch of writers figuring stuff out and making corrections/alterations on the way. And I really doubt there was a ton of thought behind it unfortunately. I also think there was a lot of miscommunication between the two, as well as Filmation working from drawings and mock-ups instead of final product often times. Even still, they would make design changes so they were easier to animate. In the end Mattel and Filmation did not get along. I've heard some very negative comments during Filmation panels. Hell, they might have done stuff out of spite towards the end.
    Last edited by Jawbridge; January 8, 2013 at 02:06pm.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Originally Teela was not supposed to have her snake armor. The sorceress had the snake armor, but then they merged the two character ideas into the same action figure. I would guess to save money.

Since in the action figures Teela already got the snake armor, they probably wanted to come up with something else for the sorceress (Teela was actually called the warrior-goddess in the first mini comic - the green one was the Sorceress, not the Goddess). Just a guess.

By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Originally Teela was not supposed to have her snake armor. The sorceress had the snake armor, but then they merged the two character ideas into the same action figure. I would guess to save money.
    They did not think that figures of female characters would appeal to boys so they made one figure that could be two characters. They thought that the idea of two characters in one would make the figure more appealing to boys and allow them to release a toy of both characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    They did not think that figures of female characters would appeal to boys so they made one figure that could be two characters. They thought that the idea of two characters in one would make the figure more appealing to boys and allow them to release a toy of both characters.
    They should have made her face look less like a Barbie while they were at it
    By the ancients!!!

I like her make-up!

The prototype looked less barbie-esque. not sure what changed between prototype and production stages
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    The prototype looked less barbie-esque. not sure what changed between prototype and production stages
    Wow, she's way cooler looking

By the ancients!!!

maybe they didn't want to confuse everyone even more with the snake lady lives in a skull but the skull man lives in a snake?
    HELP Daniel (masque) Benedict with his He-Man Fan Film "Fall of Grayskull" Kickstarter campaign!
    WATCH the youtube video.
    DONATE to his Kickstarter project!!
    VISIT He-ManFilm.com to find out more.

Part Needs
    : MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

yep, even the loin cloth section. everything about that prototype trumps the production figure IMO.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Wow, that looks great.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Since in the action figures Teela already got the snake armor, they probably wanted to come up with something else for the sorceress (Teela was actually called the warrior-goddess in the first mini comic - the green one was the Sorceress, not the Goddess). Just a guess.

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...lor20_full.jpg

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/conce...esstaylor2.jpg
    Green Goddess = Sharella... at some point her spirit seems to be absorbed by Teela'na (the Sorceress).
    Teela'na = The Warrior Goddess... the first Teela (long blonde hair) She is either cloned or gives birth to Red head Teela (not her natural hair color as she did have long blonde hair in her first couple appearences)
    Red Head Teela is given Sharella's Armor when she is of age and she is now the warrior goddess... later... when mom(Teela'Na/Sorceress in bird outfit) is poisoned by King Hsss, young Teela trades in here snake armor for the Falcon outfit and becomes the new Guardian of Grayskull for the NA era. Neither Teela was a magic user untill they absorbed the eternal powers of the Green Goddess, Sharella.
    Last edited by He-Dude; January 9, 2013 at 01:12pm.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    Green Goddess = Sharella... at some point her spirit seems to be absorbed by Teela'na (the Sorceress).
    Teela'na = The Warrior Goddess... the first Teela (long blonde hair) She is either cloned or gives birth to Red head Teela (not her natural hair color as she did have long blonde hair in her first couple appearences)
    Red Head Teela is given Sharella's Armor when she is of age and she is now the warrior goddess... later... when mom(Teela'Na/Sorceress in bird outfit) is poisoned by King Hsss, young Teela trades in here snake armor for the Falcon outfit and becomes the new Guardian of Grayskull for the NA era. Neither Teela was a magic user untill they absorbed the eternal powers of the Green Goddess, Sharella.
    I was talking about designations in the first mini comic, not later cannons/MOTUC bio retcons. Teela = warrior goddess, Sorceress = what we're calling the green Goddess now. The MOTUC bio material seems hopelessly convoluted to me. Just my opinion.

My guesses about reasons for merging the two figures were just guesses. I thought they were trying to save money, but Adam points out that they were worried about trying to sell two female figures to boys.
    By the ancients!!!

I was thinking this earlier. But heres some Ralph Bakashi for the symbolism topic.

wizards.pngwizards1.pngwizards2.pngwizards3.png

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stprime View Post
    maybe they didn't want to confuse everyone even more with the snake lady lives in a skull but the skull man lives in a snake?
    Ah ha, that's funny.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

i know right!?!? i was wondering what was wrong with everyone.
    HELP Daniel (masque) Benedict with his He-Man Fan Film "Fall of Grayskull" Kickstarter campaign!
    WATCH the youtube video.
    DONATE to his Kickstarter project!!
    VISIT He-ManFilm.com to find out more.

Part Needs
    : MOTUC
    FEEDBACK