Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let's make the MOTUC 2014 Subscription a REALITY

Has anyone got any idea *when* we might hear from Scott or anyone "in the know" as to whether or not the 2014 line will be a reality? Are we going to go through what we did last year and see if there's enough subs to warrant continuing the line? I'm guessing we have to wait for the SDCC to hear anything, but it would be nice if they'd give us some kind of news.
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Heroic Warrior
    I'm sure it will go through just fine, along with the usual scare tactics to sell subs.

All I know is that Scott said the 2014 sub IF we get one will have the Thermometer just like they did with the Grayskull preorder.

So another nail biter coming up. I better stock up on Tums LOL

I'm all for this idea. I'm willing to sub up twice with figures sight unseen. That 2014 thermometer should be operational now!

Heroic Warrior
    The thermometer is not legitimate. Its just a tactic to spur more sales. Come on guys, you don't really believe they would be forthcoming about sales numbers do you? Any other time TG is asked he feeds us a line about how Mattel doesn't give out this kind of information. Why would they be transparent about sub sales? Answer: they wouldn't be. Thermometer = scare tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    The thermometer is not legitimate. Its just a tactic to spur more sales. Come on guys, you don't really believe they would be forthcoming about sales numbers do you? Any other time TG is asked he feeds us a line about how Mattel doesn't give out this kind of information. Why would they be transparent about sub sales? Answer: they wouldn't be. Thermometer = scare tactic.
    This is absolutely true, and I wish TG would realize that it's a tired tactic by now. Every time they've done a thermometer that has reached its goal, the magic number is never actually reached until the final day the window is open. I'm sure there is a final, last-minute surge, but c'mon. Every single time? I don't think so. I very much believe that their required number is reached well before the last day, but they don't divulge that information, because doing so would cost them hundreds of panicked last-minute subscribers.

Trust me, MOTU will have a subscription in 2014. DCIE didn't make its allotted number in 2012, but it proceeded anyway, with some serious tooling cutbacks. With extremely little promotion (aside from a couple of snarky Scott comments like, "We're not promoting DCIE because there's nothing more to say. We're done begging"), DCIE did reach its goal (again, magically at the last minute) for 2013. By all accounts, there are far fewer DCIE subbers than MOTU, and yet DCIE keeps chugging along.

And not only does MOTU have more subbers, but the brand is getting a castle AND a sister subscription this year. For all his doom-and-glooming at sub time last year, Scott knows this line is still profitable. But it serves him well to let the people who treasure the line fear it might end, because that bumps up subscriptions. I think the heavy-handed pushing for subsciptions had less to do with saving the line and more to do with Scott wanting to make sure it was just as profitable as past years, in spite of rising costs and fewer big name characters to produce. It's all marketing. I for one am willing to bet that MOTU will have a subscription not only in 2014, but at least through 2015 as well.

I'll be interested to see if he tries the thermometer tactic again. Like I said, it's tired and terribly transparent at this point. I'm more inclined to think he'll ditch the thermometer for all lines (he didn't use it on Watchmen or FILMation) and instead try going the sub-only model for all lines next year as a way to increase subscriptions.

If the fieasco with CG gose thro I fear we may never see 2014 for this line sadly.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I agree with everything you said. I will sub as soon as it['s available, but MORE PoP ladies please! Out of the main female heroines that were in the cartoon and made as toys in the 80's (not prototypes), we have She-Ra, Bubble Power She-Ra, Frosta and Netossa. That's IT out of three waves of characters...and one's a variant! If you include the Star Sisters, that's 7 characters out of 4 waves instead of 4 characters out of 3 waves. We need more NA too...
    I know, the PoP #'s are shocking. Virtually every other request for future characters aside from a few remaining MOTU vintage are one-shot wonders, at best. And we have the majority of PoP figures yet to be made.

I will say, we have done pretty well having two within six months (Frosta, Neotessa) and I'm happy we have a new reveal (although she seems painfully far away, at least she looks gorgeous). I believe we still will have at least one more monthly this year - but you and the Duke are right - they really need to crank this up.

As to the OP, I agree - open it up as early as possible. They do it this way so Scott can have his "reveals", but let's face it - they can figure out what sub model they want next year based on Filmation sub sales, which end relatively soon. They could easily let us know in April and let people sign up.

That's part of the overall issue, and it's the first gate to subbing - post after post in thread after thread from people saying "Sub or die!" or "Sub or you don't love MOTUC!" and ignores that they only take sub orders a few weeks out of the year, and for various reasons, I think it's obvious this window should be as long as possible.

2 subs for me in 2014. It'll be the first time I'll buy more than 1 sub. Really hoping they crank out the rest of the Vintage line. Here's to hoping.

I don't need to see figures to know if I will subscription 2014