Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: ebay sellers and inflated prices

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    17,796

    ebay sellers and inflated prices

    Ok, I know people can charge whatever they want, I haven't any problem with that, my problem well a peeve really is sellers who see an item listed at a price and then price their item at the same high price, but none of the items at that price MOVE! Is it ignorance? do sellers believe that a listed price on ebay (with NO activity) is the actual value of the item? Or are they waiting for buyers to get desperate enough to pay the price? I watch a lot of these auctions (a lot of times to remind me of future wants) and they NEVER sell. a few examples, Leech stactions listed at $299, Hot Toys Batman Begins listed at $799 and so forth.

    The reason it's a peeve is two fold, one as a potential buyer I won't pay those prices, and two future sellers see these listings and figure hey, I will list it at that price too since it's going for that!" but just because it's listed at that price doesn't mean it's valued at that. these sellers keep relisting at those prices too!! Don't they realize NO ONE IS BUYING?!?!

    at the end of the day it doesn't affect my life but good God, I would like to see legitimate pricing. this collector culture has ****ed up the market for sure.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  2. #2
    Super Powered Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,550
    I think the hope is that people will be desperate and pay the higher price

    You also have to remember eBay takes a LOT in fees. The higher the item cost the higher a seller needs to make it. Of course this does not justify a $300 Staction or a $800 Hot Toy. Just stating that you won't see near retail prices due to the scam eBay has going on

    Basically a "fair" price on eBay would be cost + 40-50 percent markup (25% for the seller, 20-25% to cover eBay and Paypal fees and free shipping), anything lower on a $200-500 item and you are basically giving it away after all is said and done

    It always strikes me as odd when people list items for such huge amounts and get no bids but continue to do it and have others follow their pricing. It costs money to list auctions that don't sell, but I suppose if you have one person bite for 200-300% profit the cost of the multiple auction attempts is worth it
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  3. #3
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Definitely Miami
    Posts
    2,784
    I think it bothers me more when sellers give stuff away for free, as it prevents newer lines from accumulating any real market value.

    They take a 6" Lion-o for example and put it up at 99 cents starting bid. I person bids, and the item ends up selling for $7 shipped. Why bother? Why not just donate it to a goodwill store?

    A lot of people on this site have a problem with "scalpers," but I do not consider just anyone selling a figure on the aftermarket figure to be a scalper. A scalper is someone who charges extortionate prices in the hopes that someone with a lack of restraint will break down and pay it. A true scalper is usually charging 2 to 3 times what an item normally sells for.

  4. #4
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    8,824
    I just laugh at those inflated prices and move on.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  5. #5
    Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Trap Jaw's Man Cave
    Posts
    1,353
    I often wonder this too. I see stuff on there that just NEVER sells.

    I think the thing that REALLY bothers me lately is the freaking ADS on Ebay. Banners and pop-ups EVERYWHERE! UGH.... Seems like they've cranked those up about the last six months or so...
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

    Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

    Support The Power & Honor Foundation

    Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

  6. #6
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,309
    Benny is, as usual, absolutely correct. The consumers set the market. The best way to express displeasure is simply not to buy at inflated prices. With unsold inventory sitting around, sellers will eventually get the message and be more realistic in their pricing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I just laugh at those inflated prices and move on.

  7. #7
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    17,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Benny is, as usual, absolutely correct. The consumers set the market. The best way to express displeasure is simply not to buy at inflated prices. With unsold inventory sitting around, sellers will eventually get the message and be more realistic in their pricing.
    hasn'
    t happened yet with stactions or hot toys I think a lot of ebay sellers aren't like proper retailers, they don't think logically, they think "it's listed at this price so i must list mine there too!!" not realizing it's only SOLD at a fraction of that price.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  8. #8
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Definitely Miami
    Posts
    2,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Benny is, as usual, absolutely correct. The consumers set the market. The best way to express displeasure is simply not to buy at inflated prices. With unsold inventory sitting around, sellers will eventually get the message and be more realistic in their pricing.
    Doesn't really work that way with collectibles. There are people who pay what some of us consider to be shocking prices. Deluxe Slithe sells at $80 and once was bid up to $130+. I have little interest in getting him if I have to pay more than $30 and some people would not even be willing to pay that much for him.

    You have a weird mix on Ebay of people who pay a lot and people who are trying to get stuff for nothing Would be a better place if there were more moderates and fewer radicals.

  9. #9
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    8,824
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    hasn't happened yet with stactions or hot toys I think a lot of ebay sellers aren't like proper retailers, they don't think logically, they think "it's listed at this price so i must list mine there too!!" not realizing it's only SOLD at a fraction of that price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Doesn't really work that way with collectibles. There are people who pay what some of us consider to be shocking prices. Deluxe Slithe sells at $80 and once was bid up to $130+. I have little interest in getting him if I have to pay more than $30 and some people would not even be willing to pay that much for him.
    It just takes a little bit of patience. When I am looking for comic books, there are plenty of seller that have comics at insane Buy It Now Prices and I pass. It may take a while but I always find them later at prices I am willing to pay, the old fashion auction style where the buyer determines the price. I mean, after all, Ebay is a buyer's market.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  10. #10
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,309
    See that's the problem for me, Phil -- i.e., most know I'm not a collector and, hence, have no understanding of how it works. (In hindsight I probably should have kept my nose out of this thread since collecting isn't an area of expertise for me. I do like to learn, hence the reason I'm here. But it might have been more prudent for me to have kept my opinion to myself. )

    I get what you're saying, though. Years ago, Kim wanted a replacement platter for a set of Villeroy & Boch china we have. As it was discontinued, she sought it out on eBay and got into a bidding war with another person who apparently needed it as a replacement piece as well. She ended up paying more than twice what the used piece would have cost when it was new.

    On the other hand, perhaps that partially proves my point about the consumer setting the market. In this case it was a combination of supply and demand along with desire. If neither Kim nor the other bidder had wanted it, there wouldn't have been a market and it would have just sat there. But it's true that it is tough to stay away when you want something...whether it's a platter or a toy, so in that case I guess sellers sometimes have the upper hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Doesn't really work that way with collectibles. There are people who pay what some of us consider to be shocking prices. Deluxe Slithe sells at $80 and once was bid up to $130+. I have little interest in getting him if I have to pay more than $30 and some people would not even be willing to pay that much for him.

    You have a weird mix on Ebay of people who pay a lot and people who are trying to get stuff for nothing Would be a better place if there were more moderates and fewer radicals.

  11. #11
    Plundor Promoter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    3,595
    I kinda miss the days were buyers set the price by bidding...lol. I still tend to bid more on auctions that start out at $.99 then ones that start out at a high price to begin with. I can see not wanting to take a loss on something, but hyper inflating the market with the hope of making huge profits isn't the way to go either. There is a listing for a BG Evil Lynn right now for $3295...plus $10 for shipping......Seriously?! (Hopefully it was a mistake as the seller has a lot of MOTUC at reasonable prices but still). Best thing to do though is refuse to pay the crazy prices. If no one paid them they'll correct eventually.

  12. #12
    No more OT Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    A lot of people on this site have a problem with "scalpers," but I do not consider just anyone selling a figure on the aftermarket figure to be a scalper. A scalper is someone who charges extortionate prices in the hopes that someone with a lack of restraint will break down and pay it. A true scalper is usually charging 2 to 3 times what an item normally sells for.
    I consider people scalp-ors when they buy large quantities of an item for a price which makes the item unavaliable for others to purchase with the intent of selling the same product to them at a higher price.

    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    There is a listing for a BG Evil Lynn right now for $3295...plus $10 for shipping......Seriously?! (Hopefully it was a mistake as the seller has a lot of MOTUC at reasonable prices but still). Best thing to do though is refuse to pay the crazy prices. If no one paid them they'll correct eventually.
    I'll bet it was a mistake. Saw a golf club list the other day for exactly 1000$ more than all the other people were asking. Maybe it comes with a solid gold grip?

  13. #13
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Definitely Miami
    Posts
    2,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I consider people scalp-ors when they buy large quantities of an item for a price which makes the item unavaliable for others to purchase with the intent of selling the same product to them at a higher price.

    There's no official definition of what a scalper is. I would not really consider such a person to be a scalper. Said person is a "speculator" and is taking a big risk - he or she probably does not know what the production numbers are and may get stuck with a bunch of them. A true scalper won't take such a risk, but will just buy one and charge an unreasonable amount of money for it.

    A true scalper is charging extortionate prices, and therefore, does not need to sell a lot of them. They are predatory sellers that try to take advantage of people with no self control (not unlike casinos....)
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; January 7, 2013 at 10:10am.

  14. #14
    No more OT Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    There's no official definition of what a scalper is. I would not really consider such a person to be a scalper. Said person is a "speculator" and is taking a big risk - he or she probably does not know what the production numbers are and may get stuck with a bunch of them. A true scalper won't take such a risk, but will just buy one and charge an unreasonable amount of money for it.
    Well even my business uses "distributors" that do what you described. I'm talking about the guy at the front of the ticket line with 100 people behind him who buys all the tickets.

  15. #15
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Definitely Miami
    Posts
    2,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Well even my business uses "distributors" that do what you described. I'm talking about the guy at the front of the ticket line with 100 people behind him who buys all the tickets.
    Nah. This is the basic definition of capitalism. Would he buy all the tickets if no one else was in line?? In a capitalist society, one buys what one can sell. A demand exists for most items. Supermarkets buy toilet paper because they can sell it to you. In a perfect world, you could bypass them and get it for less directly from the manufacturer. In the real world, everyone is buying and selling everything. There is a fine line, but the scalper is more predatory than your average seller.

    There have been accusations of businesses in the New Jersey area who jacked their prices up to the moon following the recent hurricane Hotels in particular were being investigated. Not sure what the outcomes were, but this is a case of scalping -- it is a predatory form of sales.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; January 7, 2013 at 10:35am.

  16. #16
    Always Hungry.... Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Snake Mountain
    Posts
    3,456
    You know what I hate Pre-sellers that mark it up 100% or more......

  17. #17
    Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati WKRP
    Posts
    1,477
    Part of the trouble is Chinese sellers... they can afford to sell things for $2 and free shipping since, factoring in the exchange rate and how they pay almost nothing in postage costs(one sender sent me a registered full tracking airmail package for $3... the same thing from US to another country would be about $20 postage), they make a profit even at those prices. They can also afford to give refunds on broken or counterfeit stuff.

    No one wants to buy the same from you for money plus first class domestic postage if they can get it overseas for a fraction. Cheap novelty goods, cheap electronics, and all that have no US seller market anymore.

  18. #18
    Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,084
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I kinda miss the days were buyers set the price by bidding...lol. I still tend to bid more on auctions that start out at $.99 then ones that start out at a high price to begin with.
    A lot of them seem to just use the "Buy-It-Now" feature for pricing and don't even set them up as traditional auctions anymore. Some may set it for both, but with the starting auction price only being slightly lower than the "Buy-It-Now" price, making it pointless to even bother with the auction if you are going to buy the item.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  19. #19
    No more OT Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,946
    This is me. If I have a set "high" I'm will to bid in an auction and the buy it now price is at or under that price, I'd rather just go ahead and grab it. bidding takes time and effort to watch.

    That being said I'll occasionally put in a one time bid on small items and I consider it a pleasent suprise if I win

  20. #20
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    17,796
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think the hope is that people will be desperate and pay the higher price

    You also have to remember eBay takes a LOT in fees. The higher the item cost the higher a seller needs to make it. Of course this does not justify a $300 Staction or a $800 Hot Toy. Just stating that you won't see near retail prices due to the scam eBay has going on

    Basically a "fair" price on eBay would be cost + 40-50 percent markup (25% for the seller, 20-25% to cover eBay and Paypal fees and free shipping), anything lower on a $200-500 item and you are basically giving it away after all is said and done

    It always strikes me as odd when people list items for such huge amounts and get no bids but continue to do it and have others follow their pricing. It costs money to list auctions that don't sell, but I suppose if you have one person bite for 200-300% profit the cost of the multiple auction attempts is worth it
    I don't mind them inflating the price beyond retail, I get that, but these insane "I've seen it listed at $300 so I will list it at that too" activities, confound me, as you said it costs money to list and they keep relisting and it never sells, I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I kinda miss the days were buyers set the price by bidding...lol. I still tend to bid more on auctions that start out at $.99 then ones that start out at a high price to begin with. I can see not wanting to take a loss on something, but hyper inflating the market with the hope of making huge profits isn't the way to go either. There is a listing for a BG Evil Lynn right now for $3295...plus $10 for shipping......Seriously?! (Hopefully it was a mistake as the seller has a lot of MOTUC at reasonable prices but still). Best thing to do though is refuse to pay the crazy prices. If no one paid them they'll correct eventually.
    well so far NO ONE is paying them and these guys keep listing at those prices and others follow suit.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •