Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: With an Evil Dead remake coming this year

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    652

    With an Evil Dead remake coming this year

    It looks good and promising since it's from series creator Sam Raimi and made by a fan of the original plus they stated no CGI is used but old fashioned special effects which sounds great.

    Sometimes a good horror remake is hard to find as there can be an occasional gem but sometimes a dozen misfires that can only tarnish the legacy of the original, Moviefone has made this unique article which is advice to the filmmakers and studios out there on how to do a good horror movie remake:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...rror-remake%2F

    Who agrees with the rules, worst culprits and best examples? i did liked Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I agree with Sarah on the comments that on part 5 the last 2 examples on "Stay away from torture porn" don't make sense as the original 1972 and 1978 versions of Last House on The Left and I Spit on Your Grave were originally torture porn films and were marketed as shocking violent exploitation movies yet still are torture porn films and that if you look through the gore of the remakes they are both decent as i agree.

    Who thinks on number 8 "Honor the original" they should had also added Night of the Living Dead 1990, Cat People (1982), Cape Fear (1990) and Nosferatu (1922) on there as they fall in this rule.

    The Thing (1982) was NOT a remake it's a misconception, it was another adaptation of John Campbell's 1938 novella "Who Goes There" which was previously adapted before in 1951 and Carpenter's adaptation is more faithful to the original story.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  2. #2
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,910
    I'm literally praying for the upcoming remake of "Alice, Sweet Alice" to be a quality one. heheh I saw the trailer for the new Evil Dead a couple weeks back on FB and it looked pretty good based on what I saw. Looked pretty intense.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Stratos*Major's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MS, Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,257
    Theres no way I am watching this movie.

    I saw the red ban trailer...no way...no way...

    I cannot believe I made it through the trailer. They changed the character plot line, but the overall theme is there...book of the dead..evil spirits in a wooden camp...demon girl in cellar.

    The first one still freaks me out a bit, let alone with all the effects in this one!

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,228
    So because they are doing something different, you don't want to see it?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,878
    Looks suitably violent and twisted. I've got high hopes for this one.

  6. #6
    Casual Fan slackrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,409
    The little red haired girl from Suburgatory is in it.

    The subject matter freaks me out though. I am also still creeped out by what I remember of the original, people tell me it is campy and funny but I haven't tried to watch it as an adult.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

    If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

  7. #7
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,084
    I'm sorry, I stopped reading the article when the writer suggested a rather well-known horror movie from 2008 "could use a remake".
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

  8. #8
    No Rio? We Riot! TheFallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,617
    Evil Dead has the honour of being the first movie to give me nightmares when I snuck in to the living room while adults were watching it. I love where the franchise went after Evil Dead but I still felt that the series should have focused more with traditional horror.

    This remake has me very excited, especially after seeing that brutal trailer. I hope it doesn't have any humour and it stays as a traditional horror.

  9. #9
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,657
    I tend to enjoy most remakes. There are a few movies that are perfect, but I don't mind seeing modenerized versions of dated horror movies.....or American versions of foreign films. That being said, I don't see a reason to remake The Evil Dead, but I'll watch it and probably love it.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Stratos*Major's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MS, Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    So because they are doing something different, you don't want to see it?
    A red ban trailer is rated R. Not a green ban trailer. The color you see before the trailer begins.

    In seeing the red ban trailer is was, as others have said, brutal. Like tounges getting cut in half.

    I will not be seeing this movie beacuse, as I have said, the orignial still freaks me out. There is no way with the added effects that I could handle it.

    The mention of it still being overall the same, with a varience in the character plot was simply a statement.

    I LOVED these movies about 7 years ago...now...no way.

  11. #11
    ▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,018
    I largely agree with the ideas in the article, but those I do not agree with, I disagree with strongly. For example, The Strangers (2008) is not a Movie That Could Use a Remake; Fright Night (2011) may be one of the best examples of Making It Relevant, but it is a terrible remake; and Let Me In (2010) is not one of the best examples of Honoring the Original, it is one of the worst. I also completely disagree that there should be No Carbon Copies. The shot-for-shot remakes of Psycho and Omen are better than the originals in some ways.

    As for the remake of Evil Dead, it was already done 26 years ago, and it was called Evil Dead 2. I will probably see it but I am already disappointed by parts of the trailer. There are two instances of a character vomiting into the mouth of another character in the trailer, a trope that was not scary and completely overused in his previous horror film Drag Me to Hell. It is like he has no more original ideas.
    Last edited by Adam_Prince of Eternia; January 9, 2013 at 12:35am. Reason: Double-Post.

  12. #12
    Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Shepparton, Australia
    Posts
    2,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post

    As for the remake of Evil Dead, it was already done 26 years ago, and it was called Evil Dead 2.
    You don't count the musical as a remake of sorts? I have seen it at a movie night and it's awesome btw, I have very low expectations for this remake. Love the original alot.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

    DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    652
    Who agrees on number 7 "No carbon copies" including that some movies just don't need improving like Psycho and Omen cause the originals are perfection and flawless and if a filmmaker's plan of attack is to do a shot-to-shot word-by-word (especially with original outdated dialogue that doesn't fit in the 90s and 2000s) clone of a successful original then don't be surprised when they fail miserably, i agree if we want to see the original we'd watch it. Who also agree that Poltergeist, The Exorcist, Jaws, American Werewolf in London and Rosemary's Baby are flawless perfect horror movies that should never ever be remade?

    Who also agree that on number 3 "just because it was good in Japanese doesn't mean it will be good in English"? i agree that it only worked with The Ring as that was excellent but the rest of American versions of J-horror movies have been mediocre or bad and i agree it's time for filmmakers to move on.

    Who agrees on number 5 "Stay away from torture porn" and that there are already too many gore-fests out there to please the blood-thirsty masses?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    823
    Looking forward to the film
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

    http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

    Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,228
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Who also agree that Poltergeist, The Exorcist, Jaws, American Werewolf in London and Rosemary's Baby are flawless perfect horror movies that should never ever be remade?
    I don't like Poltergeist or The Exorcist. I find them to be dreadfully boring and no where near the level of horror people made them out to be. In fact, I laugh at The Exorcist when I watch it because I feel like I am watching a comedy with how ridiculous and stupid it is.

    Jaws, on the other hand, does not need a remake because it has already been remade enough. We have Jaws 2, 3, The Revenge, Deep Blue Sea, etc.

    Who also agree that on number 3 "just because it was good in Japanese doesn't mean it will be good in English"? i agree that it only worked with The Ring as that was excellent but the rest of American versions of J-horror movies have been mediocre or bad and i agree it's time for filmmakers to move on.
    Again, I hate The Ring (both versions). I prefer Ju-On/The Grudge and I thought the first US remake was even better than the Japanese version (the Extended Cut, which had more about the father ghost in it). However, I tend to hate the sequels to any Japanese horror movies whether they are the originals or remakes. I think the One Missed Call series (Jp, the US one is dreadful) is the only ones I have actually enjoyed the sequels to, but they were no where near as good as the first one.

    Who agrees on number 5 "Stay away from torture porn" and that there are already too many gore-fests out there to please the blood-thirsty masses?
    It depends. The first three Saw movies were well done, and the first one is incredible because it was something new and the ending was a shocker. Plus, Turistas was very well done and told with a good story. On the other hand, the Hostel movies are utter garbage.

    Nevertheless, for the most part, I prefer suspense over gore. That is why I think Psycho (the original) and The Thing are two of the best horror movies of all time.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    451
    They can call it evil dead but with no Ash character and no humor then to be it is just another lame gore fest with no redeeming values.

    I hated the saw movies and all other tortue porn movies wich to me are horrible but not horror movies.

    I love Let me In, even more then the original sweedish version, Let the Right One In.

    I actually liked the prequal to John Carpenter's The Thing and Fright Night was good too.

    I can't stand shakey camera/home video style movies so all those movies like paranormal activity, cloverfield, blair witch, etc. is just utter carbage.

    Also all those japanese rip off horror movies were not all that great.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,228
    Her name is Ashley.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    They can call it evil dead but with no Ash character and no humor then to be it is just another lame gore fest with no redeeming values.

    I hated the saw movies and all other tortue porn movies wich to me are horrible but not horror movies.

    I love Let me In, even more then the original sweedish version, Let the Right One In.

    I actually liked the prequal to John Carpenter's The Thing and Fright Night was good too.

    I can't stand shakey camera/home video style movies so all those movies like paranormal activity, cloverfield, blair witch, etc. is just utter carbage.

    Also all those japanese rip off horror movies were not all that great.
    Do you think Cannibal Holocaust is the best found footage horror movie ever? it's THE TRUE movie that began it all and a cult masterpiece of horror cinema.

    And as for torture porn, they and mindless blood orgies are meant to please the blood-thirsty masses like any other gore-fest out there according to the article. I am a gore-hound and am pleased with the Saw movies. Do you think Rob Zombie's Halloween is torture porn?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    451
    I do not like any of the remakes of Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, or Friday the 13th.

    I do not like any of Rob Zombie's movies to be honest.

    Most stuff from the 70's looks liked they were film with low grade film/home video cameras wich is one of the reasons why the decade is one of my least favorite for movies and tv shows.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,228
    I'm actually not that big on slasher movies myself. I like the first Nightmare on Elm Street, New Nightmare, the original Halloween, and the Scream movies. The others like Texas Chainsaw Massacre suck (although, the remake of that is not terrible, far better than the camp of the original movies) and Child's Play suck.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior He-Kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    974
    I just watched part of the trailer and I couldn't make it through all the way (stopped like 1/2 way).
    I don't get it--why do people like to see other people die horrible deaths in a movie--kindof bothers me that our society has accepted stuff like this

  22. #22
    Master of DVDs BCI Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,526
    I understand from a commercial point of view that it's a valuable brand. I just think it's even more pointless than most remakes, because the core ideas aren't particularly interesting, unlike say The Thing, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.

    There's practically no story to the film and very little to distinguish it from a million other cabin in the woods horrors, bar the talent involved. Without Raimi's direction, Campbell's physical comedy or the "filmed over the course of a year for 3 dollars with lots of boards nailed together and hoses full of fake blood" aesthetic, what's the point?

    It's like filming a more slickly shot remake of Blair Witch Project or Clerks: doing it 'better' loses the charm.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,228
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I just watched part of the trailer and I couldn't make it through all the way (stopped like 1/2 way).
    I don't get it--why do people like to see other people die horrible deaths in a movie--kindof bothers me that our society has accepted stuff like this
    Because that is the point of a horror movie. Same reason why I love to play video games, to kill people. Well, that is not completely the reason, but that is one of the things I love to do. Do you really think Mario would have been fun if there was nothing to kill back in the day?

    And is it not just about watching people die horrible deaths, it is seeing how creative people can be with the way the characters die. That is why I love the Final Destination movies (at least the first 2 and 5th). They build up a suspense of how a character is going to die and then find a creative way to pull it off unexpectedly.

    If you don't like it, guess what? You don't have to watch it.

    Why do you like near naked men running around in their underwear fighting a dude with a floating skull for a head?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I just watched part of the trailer and I couldn't make it through all the way (stopped like 1/2 way).
    I don't get it--why do people like to see other people die horrible deaths in a movie--kindof bothers me that our society has accepted stuff like this
    Well like i and the article says, there are gore-fests out there to please the blood-thirsty masses like myself.

    Who agrees on rule 1 "If the original is rated R the remake should NOT be PG-13"? i mean that's why The Fog, The Stepfather and Prom Night sucked because of that rating and i agree studios/filmmakers should KEEP the original rating and don't sugarcoat the script for the sake of ticket sales, i agree too that teens grow up and when they finally old enough to watch the R-rated remake they'll be glad the studio/filmmakers didn't dumb it down.

    Do you also agree on number 4 "A good cast doesn't make-up for a bad script" and that it's true that you can't make chickensalad out of chickenfeed like Elm Street and The Haunting?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior He-Kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Because that is the point of a horror movie. Same reason why I love to play video games, to kill people. Well, that is not completely the reason, but that is one of the things I love to do. Do you really think Mario would have been fun if there was nothing to kill back in the day?

    And is it not just about watching people die horrible deaths, it is seeing how creative people can be with the way the characters die. That is why I love the Final Destination movies (at least the first 2 and 5th). They build up a suspense of how a character is going to die and then find a creative way to pull it off unexpectedly.

    If you don't like it, guess what? You don't have to watch it.

    Why do you like near naked men running around in their underwear fighting a dude with a floating skull for a head?
    You're right--I don't have to and I don't watch them. That being said, horror movies in the past (like the original Halloween) didn't have to be overly gory to tell a good story. You say having people "write" a story that is "creative" in how it shows extreme ways for people to die to make a story is really just cheap if you think about it. If they could REALLY tell a good story, you wouldn't need to show the stuff you do now. It's like the 3-d movement now--Hollywood is having a harder time coming up with original, good stories--so they make it in 3-d to hide the fact you're really watching a not so good movie
    Last edited by He-Kal; January 13, 2013 at 09:50pm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •