Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What other brands/licenses would you like to see on Mattycollector

What other brands/licenses would you like to see on Mattycollector

I think one factor in growing the fan base for Classics is seeing Mattycollector grow. In recent years we've seen a handful of brands on Mattycollector (Ghostbusters, Voltron, WWE Legends, Back to the Future) but going into 2013 the only two brands putting out regular product on Mattycollector are MOTU and DC, which really means MOTU is carrying a lot of the weight to keep Mattycollector going. Rather if it's a potentially ongoing property like DC, a property like Voltron that lasts briefly and is then complete, or a media attractor like the Hoverboard it seems like getting more fan bases frequenting Mattycollector is something that helps not only the site stay afloat but helps MOTU Classics be discovered by new fans. I know a handful of fans who only subscribed to MOTU due to deciding to subscribe to DC or Voltron. I'm not saying this was a huge number but it was a contributor to growth for the brand.

Technically I myself only really came to the Mattycollector site due to the Ghostbusters line. When MOTU Classics first started I was only an occasional toy collector (unlike today). I mostly picking up a handful of toys when at comic conventions, etc, and wasn't yet any sort of completist. At the time I think I had just the SDCC King Grayskull, He-Man, Skeletor, SDCC He-Ro, and maybe Hordak (all things I bought at conventions). After that I was pretty much done with Classics (pending an Orko release). It wasn't until I picked up the SDCC Ghostbusters Egon that I ended up actually going to the Mattycollector site to find out when the other three Ghostbusters were coming out. This is how I really got hooked into Classics, by looking for Ghostbusters I ended up really seeing the site and the depths of MOTU figures new and old being released each month. Even though I may not have stuck with Ghostbusters in the long run (didn't need all the variants) it did work in getting me really hooked into Classics which lead to me becoming an all in subscriber to the line.

Digital river aside, I really like the Mattycollector idea and would love to see it grow. So for fun, what toy brands and licenses would you like to see Mattycollector pick up and carry in the near future? It doesn't necessarily have to be a big attention getting brand, just any brand that could potentially be available to Mattel (so obviously not Star Wars or Turtles or anything already picked up or owned by someone else), and has to be something that would seem to make sense being a part of an adult collector oriented website. Hopefully we'll see some cool new brands or licenses announced for 2014 at Toy Fair or SDCC.
    Last edited by InspectorZartan; January 9, 2013 at 01:09am.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    None. At this point, the less I have to deal with MattyCollector, the better. This is my last year getting a MOTU sub and I'm hoping they do not offer a DCU one for 2014 so I can be done with their nonsense.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Blackstar. I had a bunch of those when I was a kid and loved that they sparked. The little dwarf guys were awesome too...had them all ( the trobbits I think they were called). The one with the big ears was my favorite. I had a few of the figures and I always teamed them all up with my Motu figures. I think it was Blackstar, a Knight guy, a Bat/Gargoyle guy, a red gator looking guy, a werewolf, and a Bee. Bad guys came with a demon. I really liked them and think they'd be cool if someone "classicised" them!

Yes Blackstar would be a welcome addition! I loved the demons the most!

Silverhawks would be amazing of course!
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

I know that you're looking for a license that isn't locked up, but I don't think that Bandai really has too much of a stranglehold on the license for much longer, if at all.

The big one for me would be Thundercats. Any thing else and I'm just so so on. Not to mention aside from Thundercats I don't know how the rest would pan out long term.

I think that you'd get a lot of brands that could get kick started in the beginning only to find that it dies a year or so later due to limited support.

To me and from what I've seen, Thundercats is very similar in a bunch of ways like MOTUC in all aspects, from fan support to business.

I'm sure that this board is some what biased, but if done correctly from a classics point of view by the horsemen I don't see why Thundercats couldn't be just as successful with a multiple year run just like MOTUC.

It gets my vote! HOOOO!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Thundercats.

Blackstar

SilverHawks...

AWESOME character designs all around. I would buy all the 'main guys' from any of these properties. Things like Bravestarr?? Maybe just the marshall and his horse/sidekick... but I would LOVEEEEEEE to get Blackstar and his DRAGON!!!!

C'MON!!!! RIDEABLE DRAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from the ones already mentioned I would personally like to see;

Bravestarr - I would love for these to be done in the MOTUC style but I could accept them being done on a smaller buck.

Wildstorm - I have a huge wish to see these come in DCUC but I would be all over a Wildstorm sub like this years Watchmen sub. A 6 figure sub could easily be done with minimal tooling and also tie in to the current DC52 universe. Midnighter, Apollo, Grifter, Zealot, Voodoo and Engineer.

Vertigo - There are some very iconic characters in the Vertigo line that will probably never be done again. Using the above 6 figure sub idea I would like to see Spider Jerusalem, Jesse Custer, Saint of Killers, Morpheus, Death (a proper figure this time) and V (V for Vendetta).
    Last edited by TheFallen; January 9, 2013 at 03:07am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Apart from the ones already mentioned I would personally like to see;

Bravestarr - I would love for these to be done in the MOTUC style but I could accept them being done on a smaller buck.

Wildstorm - I have a huge wish to see these come in DCUC but I would be all over a Wildstorm sub like this years Watchmen sub. A 6 figure sub could easily be done with minimal tooling and also tie in to the current DC52 universe. Midnighter, Apollo, Grifter, Zealot, Voodoo and Engineer.

Vertigo - There are some very iconic characters in the Vertigo line that will probably never be done again. Using the above 6 figure sub idea I would like to see Spider Jerusalem, Jesse Custer, Saint of Killers, Morpheus, Death (a proper figure this time) Agent Graves.
    ^Boom.

But I'd rather have America's Best Comics characters over Vertigo. I'd bust over some Tom Strong, Promethea, Top 10 and League of Extraordinary Gentlman figures.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I would welcome:

~Centurions
    ~Thundercats
    ~Bravestarr
    ~Blackstar
    ~Silverhawks
    ~M.A.S.K.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I would welcome:

~Centurions
    ~Thundercats
    ~Bravestarr
    ~Blackstar
    ~Silverhawks
    ~M.A.S.K.
    All of these and then add Inhumanoids.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Blackstar. I had a bunch of those when I was a kid and loved that they sparked. The little dwarf guys were awesome too...had them all ( the trobbits I think they were called). The one with the big ears was my favorite. I had a few of the figures and I always teamed them all up with my Motu figures. I think it was Blackstar, a Knight guy, a Bat/Gargoyle guy, a red gator looking guy, a werewolf, and a Bee. Bad guys came with a demon. I really liked them and think they'd be cool if someone "classicised" them!

At one point, I had the green warlock dragon MIB. Think it was 1991. Wish I still had it.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors would be my favorite, anyone else here interested in toys of that?
    "Milk that cow, George, milk it! MOO!!" ~ Optimus-Prime's response to the announcement of 3D versions of the Star Wars films.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    At one point, I had the green warlock dragon MIB. Think it was 1991. Wish I still had it.
    That sounds awesome! When I was a kid I don't remember asking for them, I think my mom just got me them when she couldn't find me new He-man guys. If they ever did a Blackstar line they have to include the dragon! I think Galoob made them though....wonder if they still hold the license...

Oh...side note.....I think they should still have the spark feature......I may be an adult collector but I still like action features.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    • Blackstar

• Golden Girl

• BraveStarr

• Captain Power

• ThunderCats

• Conan

• Lost World of the Warlord

• Galaxy Fighters

• Galaxy Warriors
    Last edited by Adam_Prince of Eternia; January 9, 2013 at 08:31pm. Reason: Bullet Spacing.

That sounds awesome! When I was a kid I don't remember asking for them, I think my mom just got me them when she couldn't find me new He-man guys. If they ever did a Blackstar line they have to include the dragon! I think Galoob made them though....wonder if they still hold the license...

Oh...side note.....I think they should still have the spark feature......I may be an adult collector but I still like action features.

It's hard to remember the "why's." That was another life. I'm not even sure which figures I had and didn't have. I don't think I had that many of them, but it's really hard to remember. I have the same problem with LJN Thundercats. It's really tough to remember back that far. I'm pretty sure I had Mumm-ra, but nothing is certain.

I don't even remember them sparking.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    It's hard to remember the "why's." That was another life. I'm not even sure which figures I had and didn't have. I don't think I had that many of them, but it's really hard to remember. I have the same problem with LJN Thundercats. It's really tough to remember back that far. I'm pretty sure I had Mumm-ra, but nothing is certain.

I don't even remember them sparking.
    They had a wheel on the back like a lighter and the inside sparked....so not like Saurod, the sparks were encased. I remember thinking they were cool but not quite He-man....although I LOVED the werewolf thing! He had clip on parts if I remember correctly..... yup, the more I remember the more I want these guys...lol

They had a wheel on the back like a lighter and the inside sparked....so not like Saurod, the sparks were encased. I remember thinking they were cool but not quite He-man....although I LOVED the werewolf thing! He had clip on parts if I remember correctly..... yup, the more I remember the more I want these guys...lol
    I think I vaguely remember them having some kind of dial on their backs.... It's a shame that old stuff is so hotly contested. In a perfect world, you could just jump on Ebay and grab them. I just checked the Shogun Warriors, they go for big money

C.O.P.S.
    The Pirates of Dark Water
    Dungeons & Dragons (based off cartoon)
    Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors
    M.A.S.K.
    Thundercats
    Blackstar

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Honestly? Nothing.

I don't like the Matty Collector "store", if it can even be called a store. Their scheduled sales and limited runs, declaring a line to be a failure if it doesn't sell out in so many hours, and the prices... not to mention QC issues and Toyguru being how he is. I'd rather the line not even exist if the only option is for Matty Collector to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    C.O.P.S.
    M.A.S.K.
    Those are Hasbro properties, so it'll never happen. Though Hasbro has no intention of doing anything with them for some reason... vehicles with pop out guns? Bury it. Cops and crooks in a future setting with high-tech weapons and all that? Bury it. Outdated 80s pop music singer that looks like a bad drug trip with annoying pointless villain characters? You bet they'll revive that!

ThunderCats and Disney's Ducktales (I'd love to get action figures of those!)
    10 figures I still need: 10/Peekablue, 9/Sssqueeze, 8/Lizard Man, 7/Hunga the Harpy, 6/Gwildor, 5/Filmation Clawful, 4/Mermista, 3/Tung Lashor, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

For Mattel properties, or at least old toylines, I don't know if they still have the rights to...

Battlestar Galactica
    Flash Gordon
    Barvestarr
    M.U.S.C.L.E. Men
    Captian Power
    Wheeled Warriors
    Food Fighters
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

FOOD FIGHTERS! I remember those! I loved those dang things as a kid!!

Love seeing these lists! A lot of cool things on them.

One I'm surprised nobody has mentioned -- Sectaurs. I only had the main two growing up but I always thought these were really cool toys and would be perfect for the 4 Horseman treatment.

Also, someone mentioned Flash Gordon but what about a Defenders of the Earth mini sub.

Thinking beyond 80s toy nostalgia what entertainment would be interesting to license and make toys for?

I was in all honesty never a HUGE fan of this show (it was definitely good and I enjoyed it but it just didn't connect with me the same way it did with it's hard core fans) but what about Firefly? Has anyone ever made an action figure line for that series? I don't know if they have or not but if not this seems like something that should happen given the huge, loyal, ongoing fan base for that show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GBglide View Post
    Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors would be my favorite, anyone else here interested in toys of that?
    This is one toyline I really wanted but never had at all as a kid so I definitely would be interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    ThunderCats and Disney's Ducktales (I'd love to get action figures of those!)
    The Ducktales suggestion reminds me of something else I'd love to see done. I love the way the Horsemen have taken figures that originally don't at all look like they should go together (MOTU bulkie figures, POP hair dolls, and skinny New Adventures figures) and "Classicised" them into one line that actually looks like everything belongs. I think too properties that would be really cool to do this with would be Disney and Nintendo.

For Disney it would be cool to take characters like Snow White, Pinochio, Uncle Scrooge McDuck, the Gummy Bears, and so on, and despite them being different heights and species and originating from different styles have them in one action figure lineup that really looks like it goes together.

Same with Nintendo taking characters from Mario and Zelda and Donkey Kong and Metroid and Punch Out and making them in one line of action figures that feels like they could all exist in the same universe.

Has something like this ever been done for these two properties?

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I would love to see a nice Freefall from Gen13, but I'm still waiting for a decent Supergirl and a Stephanie Brown Batgirl.

My last list was all Mattel stuff, but for anything, hypothetically of course...

Army Ants
    Bucky O'Hare
    Dino Riders
    Toxic Crusaders
    Mad Balls
    Savage Mondo Blitzers
    Barnyard Commandos
    Richard Tracy

For that matter I'd love a decent Inspector Gadget, Captian N and Freakazoid! lines. Go ahead Mattel, make my day.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes