Thread: Billboard's Hot 100 Chart Methodology Shake-Up. Emphasis On Music Videos?

Billboard's Hot 100 Chart Methodology Shake-Up. Emphasis On Music Videos?

Curious to hear what folks think about Billboard's recent shake-up of the methodology for the Hot 100 chart?

Under the new formula for calculating a song's position on this chart, YouTube streaming now factors into the equation. And if a song or music video is an internet hit with tons of views, it has a chance of making it onto the Hot 100 without any/very little sales or airplay. This was partially the case with "Harlem Shake", which shot up to #1 on the Hot 100 without much airplay, although I don't think it had an accompanying music video. I believe parodies, remixes etc. may possibly count as well, but they may have to be official. Not sure.

In essence, this move takes away some of the power from Radio Programmers (many of which can be shady/biased toward certain artists), but at the same time it puts an emphasis on music videos and so we may start to see more and more labels heavily investing in them to try to get those #1's.

Do you think this is a good or bad idea? Or a little of both?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Might be a little of both. Part of the problem I do see is will a partial view count, and how do repeat views count?
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Part of the problem I do see is will a partial view count, and how do repeat views count?
    Probably "yes" to both.

Record companies to radio stations, just stream these videos from youtube.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

So according to the Director for the Billboard Charts, views from parodies will count too as long as the official song is used in the video.

Nop, based on viewcount is the worse way to debut at no 1, or enter the charts. Unless there's another chart for Youtube videos, I smell Auto Tune News will plague the charts. or Epic Rap Battle.

I foresee bad and controversial stuff will emerge regarding "view counts" and "Single sales". because Viewcount are viewed by billions of people around the world so I don't think it's eligible for Only USA charts.

By the way, How will they count the view to chart on Hot 100? 10 million views? 100 millions?
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.