Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New price of MOTUC $27!!!! Is this the death of the line?

Hybrid View

Heroic Warrior

New price of MOTUC $27!!!! Is this the death of the line?

Just saw the new prices on Matty. I was shocked! I mean $27 for a figure plus the $8 they charge to ship. I think I am done with this line now.

Where were you in July? We have known this for a long time.

Heroic Warrior
    If only there was nothing but this price hike ! But add the QC issues, the delays, the bad quality videos Toyguru makes, the defective $80 Granamyr figures, the black plastic issue, the my subscription page which never comes etc. and THEN you'll understand how bad the situation really is !

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    If only there was nothing but this price hike ! But add the QC issues, the delays, the bad quality videos Toyguru makes, the defective $80 Granamyr figures, the black plastic issue, the my subscription page which never comes etc. and THEN you'll understand how bad the situation really is !
    Wow, I just casually buy these. I had no idea that there are so many issues with the line!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Wow, I just casually buy these. I had no idea that there are so many issues with the line!!!!
    So I guess you're lucky, because you don't have a subscription and buy from a reseller/toystore. I do the same, and man am I happy not to have to deal with the Matty and digital River disservices !

So I guess you're lucky, because you don't have a subscription and buy from a reseller/toystore. I do the same, and man am I happy not to have to deal with the Matty and digital River disservices !
    Just to counter Prahvus' general negativity (you'll notice this if you read many of the threads on the org) and to not put you off the line as a casual buyer - I've subscribed for 3 years now and never had a problem with delivery, changing my credit cards/ addresses, QC on any figures apart from the widespread ones - which to be fair are relatively minor (reversed shoulders/forearms).

Yes - there have been a few problems with delays but a month or so isn't significant in the grand scheme of things.

Take comments on here with a pinch of salt as some people tend to blow things out of proportion - things aren't as bad as people make out - not from my perspective anyway.

I carry on collecting because I enjoy it - I question why some peole continue to do so if it winds them up so much yet still feel the need to put other fans off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Otatum View Post
    I have a subscription and have had very few issues. And the my subscription page is up and running. Yes there have been problems, and yes they should be addressed, but it's not widespread. If you're enjoying the line, continue to do so. If you have anything defective, Mattel will replace it.

But yeah…as far as the OP goes…we've known about the price hike for quite some time now.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

It's probably already been said, but this will make it hard for new people to want to start collecting this line. I was lucky because I started last August during SDCC and got my first 3 figs on sale. And then I cherry picked for the rest of the year. At $22 I felt it was worth it. But at $27, there is no way I would've started. Luckily I subbed for this year, ended up doing it before I got my first 3 figs which seemed dumb at the time but worked out great for me since I fell in love with this line. But yeah $27 is too high, it won't kill the line but it will make it harder to grow it.

Heroic Warrior
    lmao, didn't know we were being forced to pay n watch these videos? when did this happen?

With regards to the videos, the images might be blurry and sometimes attaching parts doesn't work, but personally I would rather have a video than no videos at all.

Heroic Warrior
    1. There have been QC issues with certain figures — Roboto and King Hiss come to mind. But to be fair, how widespread have they been? They don't happen with every figure or even most every figure.
    2. Delays — Inevitable. Mattel only has so much control over this. How many times are waves of retail figures late or cancelled entirely
    3. Toyguru's videos — I seriously don't understand what in the world you have to complain about here. People complain when Scott doesn't answer questions and then, when a lot of people want to know how some features work, you complain because Scott does a video on it that does not have Hollywood production quality. No one is forcing you to watch the videos, and they don't add to the price of the figure.
    4. Granamyr — We don't know how widespread the problem is. My Granamyr is just fine, no looseness or breakage.
    5. Black Plastic — Legitimate concern, but it has stopped. This would be another widespread QC issue, but again, it did not affect more than what, 10 figures or so out of more than 100. I don't like it either, but it has been fixed.
    6. Sub page — Legitimate concern. They really need to not give us a time frame on this anymore, especially since it keeps changing.

But you forgot the most important and entirely legitimate concern — DR. Customer service seems to have improved a bit, but it needs to get a lot better if this line has any hope of continuing past 2013, let alone into 2015.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Just saw the new prices on Matty. I was shocked! I mean $27 for a figure plus the $8 they charge to ship. I think I am done with this line now.
    This is why I am doing some extreme cherry picking in 2013. Ram Man, Jitsu, Champ Clamp, Snake Face, NA He-Man, and Strobo are the only figures out of everything revealed so far that I plan on picking up. And that’s if the early review samples don’t expose any potential quality control issues.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I'm also not sure what the videos have to do with anything. I would still buy a figure of any toyline I liked regardless if anyone made a video I didn't like or thought was poor quality on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    3. Toyguru's videos — I seriously don't understand what in the world you have to complain about here. People complain when Scott doesn't answer questions and then, when a lot of people want to know how some features work, you complain because Scott does a video on it that does not have Hollywood production quality. No one is forcing you to watch the videos, and they don't add to the price of the figure..
    I agree with this! If Scott did super high quality videos people would complain that its using too many MOTU resources or that his time should be better spent doing something else. The guy can't win no matter what he does.

Personally I've had little to no problems with anything mentioned so far. I think this line is great and look forward to when new figures show up!
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

I dont think so, I buy Transformers too and even basic deluxe figures run like $15-20 (dont get me started on Masterpiece figures or Third Party figures . Even a basic Gi Joe 3-3/4 figure runs like $10 now --so you figure a Motuc figure has at least 3X that amount of plastic--$27 doesnt seem unrealistic .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    I agree with this! If Scott did super high quality videos people would complain that its using too many MOTU resources or that his time should be better spent doing something else. The guy can't win no matter what he does.
    !
    Yeah, you're probably right--I wonder if TG hadnt been involved with this line from the start would it have made it sometimes ( I think he does push for stuff fans want too)--always try to keep that in perspective if I get annoyed by a Q+A ,etc....

OVERLORD OF EVIL mdhollywood247's Avatar
    I agree with Adpriceless
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

dude - where've you been?!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

1) black plastic-gate is over now - sooo Q3 2012!
    2) delays are gonna happen - its a pain but at least we will get them
    3) the videos, really, are gravy. They don't affect the products, they just provide insight into new figures and therefore are relative, really.
    4) Granamyr's QC issues may not be that widespread. Hopefully they will have plenty of stock to exchange

DR customer service is a nightmare. Hopefully the My Sub page will be on later today, and ra unfair to speculate whether how effective it's going to be until we have actually used it.
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

I think Mattel should make subscribing a little sweeter by giving sub holders a greater discount. This would encourage more people to actually carry a subscription. Like a $30 flat rate for Figure and Shipping, but the sub fees are non-refundable and orders cannot be canceled after 72 hours.

I'm sure that if the line survives, Scott and the gang will come up with some tighter controls.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I think Mattel should make subscribing a little sweeter by giving sub holders a greater discount. This would encourage more people to actually carry a subscription. Like a $30 flat rate for Figure and Shipping, but the sub fees are non-refundable and orders cannot be canceled after 72 hours.

I'm sure that if the line survives, Scott and the gang will come up with some tighter controls.
    Scott actually asked if we would pay $30 flat fee (shipping included) during the Matty presentation at Power Con last year. I would say the overwhelming majority said yes.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

You should have subscribed I am only paying $25 a figure
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

New price of MOTUC $27!!!! Is this the death of the line?
    No. . . . .

No and in 2014 I will have a sub.

I understand most peoples points here but my beef is not the price increase itself, I get that, it's the amount the price was increased. They went from $22 to $27 for me. That percentage is way too high. $24... OK, $25... I'll live, but $27???? They must be expecting some pretty low sales to calculate a CBA that causes a $5 per item price increase. That's 22.7%!! The increase from $20 to $22 per fig was only 10%!

Not the end of the line, but a move like this tells me Matty doesn't expect it to run much longer.
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

Quote Originally Posted by darthdrew13 View Post
    I understand most peoples points here but my beef is not the price increase itself, I get that, it's the amount the price was increased. They went from $22 to $27 for me. That percentage is way too high. $24... OK, $25... I'll live, but $27???? They must be expecting some pretty low sales to calculate a CBA that causes a $5 per item price increase. That's 22.7%!! The increase from $20 to $22 per fig was only 10%!

Not the end of the line, but a move like this tells me Matty doesn't expect it to run much longer.
    You are forgetting we went years without an increase while other lines got one. You need to look at the context of how the other lines were run, MOTUC was given a lower price for much longer when it should have seen prices go up.

So its not really them jacking up the price, they just were forced to bring it up to the same level as everything else

Had they run MOTUC like every other line it would have went from 20 to 22 to 24/25 to 26/27 over the course of its 4 year life but they skipped a few price increases
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

high price!motuc not worth that money