Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New price of MOTUC $27!!!! Is this the death of the line?

Heroic Warrior
    The only figure I want is Ram Man after that I am done. Of Course we have Greyskull coming out.

The reason why I ask is that because of certain people that are willing to pay crazy money on these figures limits who can buy them.Because those people are going to be the only one's buying this figures until the end of the line.

I remember in 2008 when these first came out alot of people were on board now because of QC issues,DR Issues such as defects,not enough product available etc. it's turning alot of people off and for those that just started it's REALLY gotta be mood point knowing these started out at $20 and more available to $27 and even if you have a sub may not get one. And can someome tell me why sub holders get a "discount" now when in the past it was the same price for day of sale??

I get this crap about being "Sour grapes" or "Some people like to complain" you know who says that the one's that have more money than most people and don't care that this line can't cater to everyone only them because they can throw more money at it...
    Last edited by Megalodon; January 10, 2013 at 08:20pm.

Yikes, I totally forgot they were increasing the prices. I cut back last year and will cutting back even more this year.

After Ram-man and Jitso, I'm done for a long time.
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I think Mattel should make subscribing a little sweeter by giving sub holders a greater discount. This would encourage more people to actually carry a subscription. Like a $30 flat rate for Figure and Shipping, but the sub fees are non-refundable and orders cannot be canceled after 72 hours.

I'm sure that if the line survives, Scott and the gang will come up with some tighter controls.
    Scott actually asked if we would pay $30 flat fee (shipping included) during the Matty presentation at Power Con last year. I would say the overwhelming majority said yes.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

It's not the death of the line yet, but with each price increase, more customers will be buying less. Just looking at the toy aisles, I am seeing less and less action figures........and that is because they are just too expensive. Parents see $20 for an action figure and think it's ridiculous. Action figures as a whole are dying and it is the price that will end it. It's like a pack of baseball cards, who buys them anymore?

When Mattel first offered subs, I bought two. I had them for the mini sub and a whole year sub.

Then, the second full year that a sub was offered, they started to include Beasts and Quarterly Variants which raised the cost of the sub per year. That made me drop one of my subs., but I would buy extras minus the variants on sale days.

Now, with the price at $27 on sale days, these figures have started costing more than I think they are worth......which is what ended my baseball card collecting. So now, I have just my one sub and I will not be buying my extras on sale days.

So every year, this toyline loses more sales than it gains new ones.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I get this crap about being "Sour grapes" or "Some people like to complain" you know who says that the one's that have more money than most people and don't care that this line can't cater to everyone only them because they can throw more money at it...
    Isn't that how business works? people who can afford the items buy them and those who can't don't.

Prices increase, consumers pay them and things move forward. If it was that big an issue prices would not go up because the overwhelming majority would vote with their wallets and the line would die. It happens in retail all the time
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    I'm a cherry picker. So, the price increase simply means that I'll pick less. Which is something I was already likely to do since I'm running out of display room for my collection and since I have most of the characters I originally wanted and Mattel isn't making enough of the characters I still want (i.e. The Great Rebellion).

But, MOTUC is definitely getting expensive once shipping is included. Especially given the large amount of part re-use and some dubious "accessory" decisions (i.e. Netossa's cape as a weapon).

I do think charging $27.00 for the "essentials" is a little extreme and isn't going to encourage new fans to enter the line. It would have been nice if new fans could still grab He-Man and Skeletor for the 2012 prices, but I guess Mattel wants to have consistent pricing across all the MOTUC figures.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    The reason why I ask is that because of certain people that are willing to pay crazy money on these figures limits who can buy them.Because those people are going to be the only one's buying this figures until the end of the line.

I remember in 2008 when these first came out alot of people were on board now because of QC issues,DR Issues such as defects,not enough product available etc. it's turning alot of people off and for those that just started it's REALLY gotta be mood point knowing these started out at $20 and more available to $27 and even if you have a sub may not get one. And can someome tell me why sub holders get a "discount" now when in the past it was the same price for day of sale??

What exactly do you want people to do? The reality is that the costs to make these things have gone up. The costs on most products in general (especially toys) have gone up steadily since 2008. That's not price gouging... that's just the reality of inflation. Mattel did what they could to hold the price at $20 for as long as they could. Last year they finally broke from that by upping the price to $22 for non-subscribers. But it wouldn't be enough to simply charge $2 more only for people who don't subscribe long term to keep things going.... and they were cutting a lot of corners to maintain that price point (reduced paint apps, accessories that were left out from figures and later released in a weapons pack).

I fully understand being frustrated over the price increase. I don't like it either. But it is what it is. It does stink that our dollars aren't going quite as far as they once did. But as I said in my previous post, we also have fewer items to even buy this year in the first place. There is no extra sub of 6 additional figures this year, and the quarterly items have been reduced from 8 total (4 variants + 4 beasts/giants/multi-packs) to just 4 quarterly items total. For anyone who has been completest or near completest with this line, the reduction in items (which was often a complaint for people having a hard time keeping up with it... even I felt the hit as things kept escalating in that regard) has at least helped ease the burden.

As ToyGuru previously said, he wishes that they had just raised the price of the figures by $1 each year, so this wouldn't be as much of a shock now. But if they had done that, the prices would still be in the same range now, only we would have paid more for most of the figures that we already have.

I personally am in this for the long haul, and despite these increases, this year should be cheaper for me overall due to there being fewer MOTUC items, the Voltron sub being over with, etc. This line will last as long as there are enough people willing to pay whatever price is necessary based on the costs of making the figures to keep the line going. I go back to my original question, what do you want people to do? You seem to be upset that some people have the money to buy these figures (not that it doesn't hurt for some people to spend it) while others struggle or just can't keep up and either have to quit or be more choosey on what figures they buy.... but what exactly is the alternative? Should we demand that they lower the prices and protest by canceling all of our subs and not manually ordering any figures on the site? All that will do is guarantee that the line ends immediately, and then we are even worse off than if the lines simply eventually ends when the price goes up beyond what enough people are willing to pay.

Besides, ToyGuru did say that they set this price so that they can keep it locked-in for the next couple/few years. So if the line goes into 2014 and 2015, the figures will still be $25 for subscribers and $27 for day-of purchases, with no further price increases during that time.

And the reason why subscribers get a discount is because it gives people more incentive to subscribe. I have nothing against people who pick and choose their figures, and I can completely understand some people preferring to do that. But the people who are buying it all ultimately do more to support the continued existence of the line (that's not a knock against those who pick and choose, it's just simply a fact), and they are given an extra incentive by saving a little bit of money by committing to it all. The way I see it, it's a win/win. If some people really only want a few select figures, then they aren't locked into the cost of buying EVERYTHING that will come out, and they save money that way. If some people want all of it or at least most of it, then subscribing works out nicely since they get a discount on everything and it helps to balance out the cost of the one or two figures that they may not care for compared to manually ordering everything.

Having said all of this.... since we will be getting fewer quarterly items this year, I almost wish that instead of getting at least one figure every month, we could instead occasionally have a month here and there where we get no figures, and then the month before or after it we could get two of the "monthly" figures shipped together. The combined shipping alone would almost completely balance out the cost increase of the figure. Having a single figure shipped tends to be around $10. Having 2 figures shipped together is either the same price or at most $1 or $2 more (at least with the USPS shipping). So paying $10-$12 once to have two figures shipped together instead of paying $10 each for them to ship separately would really make a difference. It could go like this.... for each quarter, we would get a month were two of the "monthly" standard figures shipped together, a month where the other monthly figure and the quarterly item ship together, and a month where we get nothing except any reissues/re-releases (not necessarily in that order). IMO that would be a great way to save a few bucks.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; January 10, 2013 at 11:40pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think what we're paying is "crazy money", even if it goes to $30 per figure... I collected the DC Ame-Comi vinyl"figures" and let me tell you, we have it pretty good in MOTUC. Sub-holders are seeing their first price increase since the line started... Ame-Comi went up from an initial $40 to the most recent releases being $70... for those who can't crunch the numbers that's a 75% price increase in about the same time that MOTUC has been out. We've had it good...

The sub is how Mattel guarantees they make money... It's money in the bank. Subscribers were told for years we'd get extra perks: early shipping, extra items... so far early shipping is hit or miss and extra items have amounted to a poster/map and occasional sticker sheet (which really only helps MOC collectors). Now, I personally don't care either way, but a lot of subscribers have been asking for more perks over the years, and this was a nice way for Mattel to "perk" us. The day-of-sale increase helps offset some of the costs involved.

I have bought every figure in this line since the beginning, with King Grayskull at SDCC 2008, my first year at Comic-Con (man, what a great year to finally decide to jump in!). I have had no QC complaints at all: my Roboto and Goddess still stand, uncracked; reversed shoulders don't jump out at me; Stinkor's forearms look fine; I fixed Frosta's forearms easily; I haven't seen any blackstic wear on my 2012 figures; my Granamyr went together without breaking. As far as CS issues, aside from Teela-gate (everyone remember that gem from 2009?) I haven't had any problems at all. No charge issues, no shipping issues, nothing. A delayed figure? Wow... as someone who has retail-hunted only to hear "oh, yeah... that wave that we said would hit shelves a month ago that was originally supposed to hit 7 months ago? CANCELLED!" I can deal with an occasional wait to get my guaranteed figure (sorry for those who missed out on Fisto... that one really sucked, and that is one issue I do think Mattel needs to revisit).

As for more money than most people... I'm not making 6 figures here, but I also budget myself and choose which lines to collect with a big-picture effort. I get MOTUC, Lego DC Super Heroes, the upcoming G.I.Joe Kre-O and that's about it for regular ongoing lines. Do I feel catered to by MOTUC? Well, considering I am excited for each and every reveal we get, I can't wait to open my monthly package and rip into the card and see how I can pose the figure, and there has not been a figure or character yet that I've said "*** were they thinking?"... yeah, I guess I do. But it has more to do with my embracing the line for what it is intended to be and not any preconceived notion of what it should be. As many others on the board in another thread have said, I'm all-in with this line until the end or until it is beyond my means (and I would drop some of my other habits to keep it within my means if possible).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Otatum View Post
    New price of MOTUC $27!!!! Is this the death of the line?
    No. . . . .

No and in 2014 I will have a sub.

I understand most peoples points here but my beef is not the price increase itself, I get that, it's the amount the price was increased. They went from $22 to $27 for me. That percentage is way too high. $24... OK, $25... I'll live, but $27???? They must be expecting some pretty low sales to calculate a CBA that causes a $5 per item price increase. That's 22.7%!! The increase from $20 to $22 per fig was only 10%!

Not the end of the line, but a move like this tells me Matty doesn't expect it to run much longer.
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

Quote Originally Posted by darthdrew13 View Post
    I understand most peoples points here but my beef is not the price increase itself, I get that, it's the amount the price was increased. They went from $22 to $27 for me. That percentage is way too high. $24... OK, $25... I'll live, but $27???? They must be expecting some pretty low sales to calculate a CBA that causes a $5 per item price increase. That's 22.7%!! The increase from $20 to $22 per fig was only 10%!

Not the end of the line, but a move like this tells me Matty doesn't expect it to run much longer.
    You are forgetting we went years without an increase while other lines got one. You need to look at the context of how the other lines were run, MOTUC was given a lower price for much longer when it should have seen prices go up.

So its not really them jacking up the price, they just were forced to bring it up to the same level as everything else

Had they run MOTUC like every other line it would have went from 20 to 22 to 24/25 to 26/27 over the course of its 4 year life but they skipped a few price increases
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

high price!motuc not worth that money

$27 isn't a game changer to me. As far as I'm concerned the line is going strong so long as they release what they need to. The remainder of Vintage, A good handful of Great Rebellion, and a few NA. Any price increase does suck though, I'll agree with that. But I don't think it's enough to kill the line. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You are forgetting we went years without an increase while other lines got one. You need to look at the context of how the other lines were run, MOTUC was given a lower price for much longer when it should have seen prices go up.

So its not really them jacking up the price, they just were forced to bring it up to the same level as everything else

Had they run MOTUC like every other line it would have went from 20 to 22 to 24/25 to 26/27 over the course of its 4 year life but they skipped a few price increases
    Exactly.

Every line, retail or not, has gone up in price since 2008. We were very luck to have it so easy the last few years. DCUC started at MSRP of 7 to 8 dollars back in 2008. By the time the line ended, the average price was over $15, depending on the retailer. They practically doubled in cost.

Am I happy to pay more? Of course not but it's not an unreasonable practice by Mattel. I wish Gas was still under a dollar a gallon but it isn't. Inflation raises the price on everything.

Well at least my DST Marvel Select line is still $20-$22. I might try getting some of this years off ebay. Sometimes you can get them cheaper then str8 from Matty. Sorry Mattel
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

They have to be compensating for dwindling subscriptions, right? I mean even without the DR issues, most of the popular characters are already out now.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Widget
    Just one thing to think about. Customers in germany pay 40 $ !!!! yes you read right... to "save" the line. As it is not officially sold in germany we have to pay this price for the sub from a local dealer. so stop crying about 27
    Last edited by Wasp46; January 11, 2013 at 12:48am. Reason: price

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    AAHHHHH! I wish that everything that bothered a particular group of people wasn't automatically labeled "The end of the line!!!"

I think some people are trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.....

I hate the price increase just as much as anyone, but unfortunately this is the cost of business. I wish it were different, but we were told that is was eventually going to happen.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

The price jump was a foolish thing. Not because it was necessary in a changing economic times, but because it jumped up almost 23% overnight. It's the boiling frog analogy; if you put a frog in a pot of water and turn the burner on high, the water will heat up and the frog will leap out. If you do the same but instead slowly raise the temperature, the frog will stay in the pot until he explodes.

This sudden shock to the system will be a wake up call to a lot of buyers; those who were on the fence will jump off and drop the line, resellers will be less inclined to continue carrying the product and ordering so many, etc. While it won't "kill teh lien", few direct things ever do, however this can end up being a contributing factor.

Personally it's all the incentive I need to reduce any planned purchases to a very highly selective list from here on out and even then it's only about three figures, none of which have been announced.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Would you guys have preferred they raised the price a $1 every year the past few years to avoid the shock we are getting now and still pay the same this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp46 View Post
    Just one thing to think about. Customers in germany pay 40 $ !!!! yes you read right... to "save" the line. As it is not officially sold in germany we have to pay this price for the sub from a local dealer. so stop crying about 27
    ;-) and here we go again from good old europe. I am living in Austria and beside this 27 USD Figures there is no way to get them at an "ok" price.
    Of course you can buy them on Ebay and other similar sites - but then we are not talking 27 Dollars but around 50 (sometimes the shipping is not included either).

in my opinion: I have no problem with that price. (and no, I am not getting paid from Matty for this post *g*) and I might ad: since I am buying from Matty direct, I didn`t have a single QC problem and all of my ordered stuff reached me, with no problems.
    Yes, there are delays - but I can live with them.

I knew it was coming but I have a hard time believing that Mattel's costs have gone up so far as to warrant $35 for an action figure....Oh well. Two years and we will be groaning that the line is done.

Quote Originally Posted by ADPriceless View Post
    Just to counter Prahvus' general negativity (you'll notice this if you read many of the threads on the org) and to not put you off the line as a casual buyer - I've subscribed for 3 years now and never had a problem with delivery, changing my credit cards/ addresses, QC on any figures apart from the widespread ones - which to be fair are relatively minor (reversed shoulders/forearms).

Yes - there have been a few problems with delays but a month or so isn't significant in the grand scheme of things.

Take comments on here with a pinch of salt as some people tend to blow things out of proportion - things aren't as bad as people make out - not from my perspective anyway.

I carry on collecting because I enjoy it - I question why some peole continue to do so if it winds them up so much yet still feel the need to put other fans off.

I agree with all of this. It's not as doom and gloom as some people seem to find it, hasn't been for me anyway. I haven't had anymore problems with this line than any other.