Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 139

Thread: New price of MOTUC $27!!!! Is this the death of the line?

  1. #76
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    262
    I dont know. Maybe not in 2013, but I think the line will tank in 2014. I would also expect us to see a whole bunch more Matty exclusives show up at Ollies this year, and maybe everything show up in 2014!!!!

  2. #77
    Heroic Warrior ADPriceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton UK
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Otatum View Post
    I dont know. Maybe not in 2013, but I think the line will tank in 2014. I would also expect us to see a whole bunch more Matty exclusives show up at Ollies this year, and maybe everything show up in 2014!!!!
    I disagree - I think 2014 will see a bit of a resurgence as long as they stick to what has been mooted - i.e. less overall product (12-16 figs at a guess), more heavy hitters and vintage figs in order to round the line out and probably no further price increases until 2015. Also if CG turns out to be a hit maybe some renewed interest and goodwill sub sales as a result.

    That said - this is all assumes that Matty/DR keep the screw ups to a min for the foreseeable future.

    All conjecture at this point.

  3. #78
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by ADPriceless View Post
    I disagree - I think 2014 will see a bit of a resurgence as long as they stick to what has been mooted - i.e. less overall product (12-16 figs at a guess), more heavy hitters and vintage figs in order to round the line out and probably no further price increases until 2015. Also if CG turns out to be a hit maybe some renewed interest and goodwill sub sales as a result.

    That said - this is all assumes that Matty/DR keep the screw ups to a min for the foreseeable future.

    All conjecture at this point.
    I agree, I see 2014 being steady yr for MOTUC, my sub page is finally up, if CG is great will have a rally for Snake Mountain!!!

  4. #79
    Angast's #1 fan Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    3,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp46 View Post
    Just one thing to think about. Customers in germany pay 40 $ !!!! yes you read right... to "save" the line. As it is not officially sold in germany we have to pay this price for the sub from a local dealer. so stop crying about 27

    NEWS FLASH: Any time you import something it's going to cost you more than MSRP.

    Yes even Americans have to pay more for items we import. I pay way more than retail for items I import from the Asian market all the time. You're not alone.

  5. #80
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lake of Gnarl
    Posts
    1,505
    Would adding more variants of the most popular figures help the line? I mean most of the POP characters I haven't even heard of. Not to offend She-Ra fans. I'm not saying get rid of those.

    I mean even more minicomic versions of popular characters (red Beast Man, green Trap Jaw) or variants that are closer to the vintage figures (Mer-Man with bare feet/hands and orange trunks, He-Man with a vintage face). And more Filmation variants as well. Stuff like that.

    Then again, doing so will result in even more convoluted bios (Trap Jaw's older green-skinned brother Too-Lar), so maybe not.
    By the ancients!!!


    Lich Leech feedback thread

  6. #81
    Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    605
    I'm all for variants, but I think that right now, Scott's mission to use 2014-15 to finish off as many vintage figures as possible is the right thing to do. I want every figure from all 3 vintage lines, as well as key filmation/MYP figures before they go back to prototypes and new characters. Ultimately, I don't think the line is strong enough to sustain all these prototype characters, and I want all my classic figures before the line tanks.

  7. #82
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You are forgetting we went years without an increase while other lines got one. You need to look at the context of how the other lines were run, MOTUC was given a lower price for much longer when it should have seen prices go up.

    So its not really them jacking up the price, they just were forced to bring it up to the same level as everything else

    Had they run MOTUC like every other line it would have went from 20 to 22 to 24/25 to 26/27 over the course of its 4 year life but they skipped a few price increases
    Actually, that line only follows if you presume the line wasn't over priced to begin with.

    One figure, regular craptastic "standard" shipping, $37 this year for DOS. That is a really, really high price for these figures. They are not *that* impressive, especially when we have all the issues we have to put up with.

    There is also the question of lost sales because of this. Personally, I'm buying fewer figures - I am getting a subscription Neotessa. Normally I would have gotten on sale day and bought 2-3 more since she is POP. Same if she had multiple heads, or swap-ability with another figure. I bought extras a lot. Now? I just won't be doing it. So instead of spending $90 or $100 at Matty this month, I'm spending a third of that.

    People can justify it all day, but the fact remains the line was very high priced no begin with, it's it like they were giving these things away.

  8. #83
    Plundor Promoter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Would adding more variants of the most popular figures help the line? I mean most of the POP characters I haven't even heard of. Not to offend She-Ra fans. I'm not saying get rid of those.

    I mean even more minicomic versions of popular characters (red Beast Man, green Trap Jaw) or variants that are closer to the vintage figures (Mer-Man with bare feet/hands and orange trunks, He-Man with a vintage face). And more Filmation variants as well. Stuff like that.

    Then again, doing so will result in even more convoluted bios (Trap Jaw's older green-skinned brother Too-Lar), so maybe not.
    At this point I think that would hurt the line. With increased prices having variants forced in the sub is a very bad idea. Finish off unique vintage in all factions before more price increases...THEN worry bout varients.

  9. #84
    A Real Master Of Arms nato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Actually, that line only follows if you presume the line wasn't over priced to begin with.

    One figure, regular craptastic "standard" shipping, $37 this year for DOS. That is a really, really high price for these figures. They are not *that* impressive, especially when we have all the issues we have to put up with.

    There is also the question of lost sales because of this. Personally, I'm buying fewer figures - I am getting a subscription Neotessa. Normally I would have gotten on sale day and bought 2-3 more since she is POP. Same if she had multiple heads, or swap-ability with another figure. I bought extras a lot. Now? I just won't be doing it. So instead of spending $90 or $100 at Matty this month, I'm spending a third of that.

    People can justify it all day, but the fact remains the line was very high priced no begin with, it's it like they were giving these things away.
    Exactly! They were overpriced to begin with. When the line first started, I believe the majority thought the price for these would be around $15, along with thinking they would be cheaper than if they sold them at a retail store. $20 was pretty expensive for a figure in 2008.

    Matty will get a little bit of my money from not buying extras on sale days anymore with Castle Grayskull, but they are still losing more than they are gaining from me. Every year, the prices are driving me to buy less and less.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

    Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

  10. #85
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    NEWS FLASH: Any time you import something it's going to cost you more than MSRP.

    Yes even Americans have to pay more for items we import. I pay way more than retail for items I import from the Asian market all the time. You're not alone.
    Thank you! I import A LOT of figures, and they can cost up to 100% plus of the original retail price for me to have them shipped here.

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Actually, that line only follows if you presume the line wasn't over priced to begin with.

    People can justify it all day, but the fact remains the line was very high priced no begin with, it's it like they were giving these things away.
    We have to remember that the MOTUC is a line of custom figures that are produced in relatively small quantities and only sold to a specific market online. Are they high in price? Yes. Are they over-priced? No. Not when you consider how much the line has grown since it's inception.

    If I was told that I would be paying $27.00 per figure in 2013, BUT I would also be offered figures like Granamyr and playsets like Castle Grayskull, then I wouldn't flinch very much because, after all, these are the things we really want as fans. More figures, bigger figures, more accessories, etc.. all add extra labor costs (among others) to a line of figures like MOTUC.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

  11. #86
    Heroic Warrior darthdrew13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    You are forgetting we went years without an increase while other lines got one. You need to look at the context of how the other lines were run, MOTUC was given a lower price for much longer when it should have seen prices go up.

    So its not really them jacking up the price, they just were forced to bring it up to the same level as everything else

    Had they run MOTUC like every other line it would have went from 20 to 22 to 24/25 to 26/27 over the course of its 4 year life but they skipped a few price increases
    I respectfully disagree.

    Years? As you stated, MOTUC has only completed 4 full years in its existence. (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012) In that same time frame I have seen price increases for other toy lines but ONLY ONE price increase for most of them. If the line had 2 price increases, it was approximately 10% and then another 10%. Not 10% and 21%! And honestly, the big toy price increase across the board came back in 2008/2009 when MOTUC was just getting started. I know I'm only griping about what ends up being $2 per figure, but as the price of the figure has increased, Digital River in their epic wisdom has increased the shipping cost as well. That makes the hit on everyone's wallet even worse.

    By the way, I compare MOTUC to Marvel Legends as they have the same scale and somewhat similar articulation. Marvel Legends went from $10 bucks each back in the Toy Biz days up to $15.99 for quite a while. Just now are they reaching the $20 range. MOTUC STARTED at $20 per figure. Call it a decreased amount of production or whatever. But with all of the parts re-usage, and simplicity to maintain the homage to vintage figures (no action features, very few accessories, etc), MOTUC should have started at $15 each and should be $22 just now. Mattel IS making money regardless. They know what they are doing. And we are paying for it. And we will go on paying for it until they get way out of line. Which they will closely manage. And as long as Mattel dangles that carrot as close as they can to the donkey, things will continue as they are.
    Last edited by darthdrew13; January 12, 2013 at 05:09am.
    Take it easy,
    Drew

    Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

    darthdrew13's B/S/T

  12. #87
    Heroic Warrior Torak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    428
    It just means I have to buy less figures and be a lot more picky about what I get. In other words there might be months between figures for me from now on.

  13. #88
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    9,983
    Scott asked, at Power Con, if, theoretically, we'd pay $30 (inclusive of shipping) if they used something like Amazon as a distributor.

    At this point, people are paying $39 and change... Though I still think the shipping this month was based on the Netossa / Ram Man weight. It's really too high. My shipping for two Netossa's is $15.10.

    That's INSANE.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  14. #89
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Scott asked, at Power Con, if, theoretically, we'd pay $30 (inclusive of shipping) if they used something like Amazon as a distributor.

    At this point, people are paying $39 and change... Though I still think the shipping this month was based on the Netossa / Ram Man weight. It's really too high. My shipping for two Netossa's is $15.10.

    That's INSANE.
    I wouldn't mind each figure being $30 if they used Amazon. If you could use Amazon Prime for it, that'd be awesome. We'd have our toys faster AND save on shipping, which would totally rule.

  15. #90
    NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,915
    I always thought 20us was a very low price for these masterpieces, never thought we would see so many figures a year though
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

  16. #91
    Heroic Warrior Torak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Scott asked, at Power Con, if, theoretically, we'd pay $30 (inclusive of shipping) if they used something like Amazon as a distributor.

    At this point, people are paying $39 and change... Though I still think the shipping this month was based on the Netossa / Ram Man weight. It's really too high. My shipping for two Netossa's is $15.10.

    That's INSANE.

    If they used Amazon then I could buy a LOT more figures maybe even a sub.

  17. #92
    Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ELDERSburg, MD
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    If they used Amazon then I could buy a LOT more figures maybe even a sub.
    I love Amazon, so I'd be on board with that! You could also put figures on your Wish List.

  18. #93
    Heroic Warrior Sizz-Lor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    102
    I'm only waiting for 8 more figures in this line, if they ever get made.

    The price hike definitely makes it easier to want to be finished with it, and all Matty's BS.

  19. #94
    Plundor Promoter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,095
    I'm down for Amazon! Heck, there are figures on there that qualify for free shipping making them cheaper than matty! Griffin is one of them ($37 and free super saver shipping) Snout Spout is another. I'ld gladly support an Amazon distribution!

  20. #95
    NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American:3187608
    Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    If they used Amazon then I could buy a LOT more figures maybe even a sub.
    I love Amazon, so I'd be on board with that! You could also put figures on your Wish List.
    Only ordered from Amazon twice, both orders held by customs, so I don't know if it would be a good alternative for international customers
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

  21. #96
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    531
    I think subscribers should be fixed at $25.00 (which I think is too much). I don't think the price point will be the death of the line so much as the remaining character selection and interest in some of the D-lister characters/less popular factions/concept stuff.
    Good trades with: Cammor

  22. #97
    Reaper of Crom Riddle of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Scott asked, at Power Con, if, theoretically, we'd pay $30 (inclusive of shipping) if they used something like Amazon as a distributor.
    I don't remember the word "Amazon" or another distributer in general ever being mentioned there, but people can correct me if I'm wrong. He was just talking or shall I say asking what people would think about figures being a flat $35 a piece or some thing of that nature if shipping was included.

    That premise obviously makes NO sense though from the get go though as if you buy more then one figure your blatantly getting ripped off since there's no shipping to combine.

    The Amazon argument is dead and has been discussed before repeatedly. For them to sell through Amazon the figures would WITH A DOUBT cost more then they are now and we're already seeing people foaming at the mouth to begin with. It would never work.......

  23. #98
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Scott asked, at Power Con, if, theoretically, we'd pay $30 (inclusive of shipping) if they used something like Amazon as a distributor.

    At this point, people are paying $39 and change... Though I still think the shipping this month was based on the Netossa / Ram Man weight. It's really too high. My shipping for two Netossa's is $15.10.

    That's INSANE.
    I'd love the $30 price. My shipping for UPS was over $24 which is insane. The $27 i can live with, but the increased shipping is too much.

  24. #99
    Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miami Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,197
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Scott asked, at Power Con, if, theoretically, we'd pay $30 (inclusive of shipping) if they used something like Amazon as a distributor.

    At this point, people are paying $39 and change... Though I still think the shipping this month was based on the Netossa / Ram Man weight. It's really too high. My shipping for two Netossa's is $15.10.

    That's INSANE.
    Bro, I got charged about the same for ONE Netossa!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

  25. #100
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Scott asked, at Power Con, if, theoretically, we'd pay $30 (inclusive of shipping) if they used something like Amazon as a distributor.

    At this point, people are paying $39 and change... Though I still think the shipping this month was based on the Netossa / Ram Man weight. It's really too high. My shipping for two Netossa's is $15.10.

    That's INSANE.
    That's not just insane, it's incredibly unfair.

    I've ordered figures from Japan and paid for EMS post with cheaper rates than that!

    Heck, BBTS ships cheaper and they use the form-fitting bubble wrap that (I assume) costs more than Matty's single sheet of crumpled paper....
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •