Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New price of MOTUC $27!!!! Is this the death of the line?

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    You have to think that some of the line's initial sales were inflated by all of the resellers. Now that most of those people have been weeded out because the resale market is not worth it on MOTU any longer (except certain items) we may see a price more along the correct line for a niche toy item. You have to equate in rise in production, transportation and warehousing costs too. Also the huge raises that everyone involved with MOTU received.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Teh lien is so dead!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I think it's remarkable that this line has survived high prices during a bad economy. It's a testament to the fans of Masters of the Universe. This is the only toyline I consistently buy. Everything else isn't worth it to me.

I hope Mattel figures out new ways to keep Masters fan happy, we put up with a lot. Some things are blown out of proportion, but overall, we have every right to demand a good product. Thank goodness for the Four Horsemen and Mattel's willingness to let us celebrate the best toyline of all time. $27 for day of figures sucks, but better that than no figures at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    I don't think it is really appropriate or fair to characterize Prahvus' statements as "general negativity". He's actually just stating the facts.
    I think the same way... He just stated the "usual" problems we have to deal with a line wich was intended to be a "adult collector" line, and isn't being treated like one.
    All the problems stated are real, and some of them are just ridiculous, just take the Stinkor problem as an exemple. "Stinkor's forearms are switched because we wanted him to sand out from the other characters", yeah right... to me it's just a lame excuse to cover another mess made during the process. I think that most of can deal with a "small problem", like the reversed shoulders (Hsss or Roboto), once in a while, but the issues have grown to larger and more complicated problems, wich makes many of us think if this toys are really worth our 27$.

On my case I've decided to subscribe one more time, and to pre-order CG, because I really love the line, hoping that Mattel doesn't make me regret taking that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONCHILD View Post
    just take the Stinkor problem as an exemple. "Stinkor's forearms are switched because we wanted him to sand out from the other characters", yeah right... to me it's just a lame excuse to cover another mess made during the process.
    I agree - I think the excuses and the terrible responses are more a slap in the face than the price increase. Sadly - customer service is nothing like it was 20-30 years ago. I feel bad for the world our children have to live in. There was a time when the customer was right.

Heroic Warrior
    I cherry pick, though I have 2 subs this year, to get my faves without any problems...27$ is very much for a figure, but if the figure is made well, I'll pay the price...As a cherry picker, that's not a problem, I'll sell the stuff I don't need on secondary market... If you want every figure, it's totally understandable...

But I agree, that the communication between Mattel & customers is still weird. We get promises and the final products keep lacking quality. You got promotion like"look, how big & massive this figure/dragon is" or "it's the biggest playset ever" but size is nothing without quality and a dragon with a broken tail or a castle with missing or broken pieces are worth nothing....
    Last edited by Berserker79; January 10, 2013 at 03:14pm.

It's a lot but it's not the death.....I think anything over 30 before shipping is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Also the huge raises that everyone involved with MOTU received.

Sadly - customer service is nothing like it was 20-30 years ago. I feel bad for the world our children have to live in. There was a time when the customer was right.

My biggest problem is that Mattel/Matty is no longer competitive with other resellers. You can often get better deals from Amazon, or from other buyers in marketplace, with less headaches, faster shipping less QC issues, etc.

I would love giving my money directly to Matty for this line, but it's very tough to pay $36 for an Icarius figure, when I can get it from someone on Amazon for $24.97 with free shipping. I suppose Mattel has already made its money on the items, but I would still think it would want more $$$ in direct sales.

So far, I have had only minor problems with Matty/DR, and this is without a subscription. Overall it's been more good than bad. I will be getting my Granamyr soon, and I hope I have another positive story to tell.

OK for the masses then how high is too high for ONE figure/beast/set (Minus shipping)

Or is there NO ceiling because some of us have a large ammount of disposable income?

I collect more than one line and could never but all of my money in one line...
    Last edited by Megalodon; January 10, 2013 at 03:19pm.

27 bucks is steep when you include shipping. I thought shipping was going down though? Who knows. I didn't and will never sub with these kind of prices though, even though subscribers get them for cheaper.

With that being said, There is only... 4 or so figures I want from this years sub, so whatever.

In answer to your question Megalodon, I think $27 is too high for ONE figure (minus shipping).

I have made the decision, slowly over the last couple of months, to stop getting anymore MOTUC because of this latest price increase. Yes, I was a cherry picker but I have a decent amount of figures on my shelf and have never had any QC issues. I don't buy many of the 'Mattel sucks' rants that I read on the org and am only quitting because of the price.
    With twin girls about to start school I can't justify $27 plus shipping (and possibly customs) on a single action figure. I'll still collect action figures but am getting to the point where I'm going to be a bit more discerning.

The thing is, I really am not sure why there is this gneral feeling fans are backing out of Motuc as a whole due to the price increase. I get that the price seems high, but when you compare other adult toy lines this isn't so bad. Masterpiece TF figures run like $200 if you buy straight from Takara--but even still like $50-$100 when labeled by Hasbro. Third party people? LOL They can EASILY run like $200-$300 EASILY.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    My biggest problem is that Mattel/Matty is no longer competitive with other resellers. You can often get better deals from Amazon, or from other buyers in marketplace, with less headaches, faster shipping less QC issues, etc.

I would love giving my money directly to Matty for this line, but it's very tough to pay $36 for an Icarius figure, when I can get it from someone on Amazon for $24.97 with free shipping. I suppose Mattel has already made its money on the items, but I would still think it would want more $$$ in direct sales.

So far, I have had only minor problems with Matty/DR, and this is without a subscription. Overall it's been more good than bad. I will be getting my Granamyr soon, and I hope I have another positive story to tell.
    This is very true on older figures. I think they shouldn't have raised the prices on them personally. I also think they should be able to offer cheaper, combined, or even free shipping like so many other companies do. But with the increase and as characters become harder to get with no more second runs, reseller prices will rise to match it. I think we'll really start seeing that when more 2013 characters hit the secondary markets. The new norm on figures are going to have to be in the $40-$45 after shipping just to make a very small profit on standard figures.

Heroic Warrior
    You have to think that some of the line's initial sales were inflated by all of the resellers. Now that most of those people have been weeded out because the resale market is not worth it on MOTU any longer (except certain items) we may see a price more along the correct line for a niche toy item. You have to equate in rise in production, transportation and warehousing costs too. Also the huge raises that everyone involved with MOTU received.

I understand that. But I have a friend who is making action figures now and do know the cost of tooling, sculpting and production (and he does not own his own factory). He can get a figure fully made (sculpting, tooling, production and packaging) made for around $40,000-$50,000. Which makes figures SRP for around $20. Now keep in mind, Mattel re-uses tooling and packaging, so there is a big discount. Plus the have control over production. So their costs are lower per figure. You cant tell me that Mattel is just getting greedy. To me this is the final nail in the coffin. Its just not worth it anymore. I know some of you guys would pay $50 for a figure, but I think they are going to kill the line, because most of us will not pay.

I would be in the same frame of mind, but I did just drop almost $100 on ONE dragon, so I guess I am in for the long haul no matter how bad it hurts my kids college funds!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Otatum View Post
    Just saw the new prices on Matty. I was shocked! I mean $27 for a figure plus the $8 they charge to ship. I think I am done with this line now.
    You should have subscribed I am only paying $25 a figure
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

I understand that. But I have a friend who is making action figures now and do know the cost of tooling, sculpting and production (and he does not own his own factory). He can get a figure fully made (sculpting, tooling, production and packaging) made for around $40,000-$50,000. Which makes figures SRP for around $20. Now keep in mind, Mattel re-uses tooling and packaging, so there is a big discount. Plus the have control over production. So their costs are lower per figure. You cant tell me that Mattel is just getting greedy. To me this is the final nail in the coffin. Its just not worth it anymore. I know some of you guys would pay $50 for a figure, but I think they are going to kill the line, because most of us will not pay.
    So $20 a figure then add in transportation costs and warehousing costs. Also you have to think that Mattel is a little bit different in the sense that they have to choose do they invest in making MOTU toys or put that time and energy towards an investment that has a bigger pay out. Why put a lot of time an energy in to MOTU for a $5 proft per figure (hypothetical) when you can make $7 of profit on a Barbie (hypothetical).

Not trying to argue with your point of view - just trying to get you to see it from a different angle. Personally my problem is with Digital River and that Mattel can't find someone else that will take over their duties. It just makes me sad that a company like Digital River has survived with such horrible customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    Just felt that this month. I didn't get a 2012 sub, and on December, I was working during the sale time so my wife had to buy them for me. By the time she was able to get to a computer and make the purchase Moskitor was already gone, and only bought Procrustus, wich was shipped on the 22nd. I bought Moskitor on eBay, 2 weeks ago, payed 13USD for his shipment (USPS) from Seatle with tracking number. He arrived here this Monday, before Procustus wich arrived Tuesday (1 month after his shipment).

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    The thing is, I really am not sure why there is this gneral feeling fans are backing out of Motuc as a whole due to the price increase. I get that the price seems high, but when you compare other adult toy lines this isn't so bad. Masterpiece TF figures run like $200 if you buy straight from Takara--but even still like $50-$100 when labeled by Hasbro. Third party people? LOL They can EASILY run like $200-$300 EASILY.
    As someone who collects Figma anime figures, and various Japanese anime figures...I can attest to the fact that we get off relatively easy with Motucs. It still hurts to pay 38 per figure, but it could be a lot worse. Check out the rates for 'Figma' figures online...egads!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Despite the price increase (which isn't ideal, obviously), this year will likely actually be easier on my wallet overall. Since the line has been scaled back a bit to include only a total of 4 quarterly items (rather than 4 quarterly variants AND 4 quarterly beasts/giants/multipacks) in addition to the 12 monthly figures... and since there is no additional sub like the 30th sub last year, and since the Voltron sub is done, and I think the Ghostbusters 6" line is finally, officially completely dead (if it's not, I can't see us getting more than another figure or two), this year should easier on my wallet overall on a month-to-month basis. Of course there is the issue of Castle Grayskull, as well as the rumor of Horde Troopers coming (of which I plan to get several sets). But aside from those things, this year should be easier overall.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Its going to be a little bit harder for me to want to pay $27 dollars plus shipping for one figure. I'm shelling it out and doing my part but there's a point where the cost will shut this down. On the other hand it does add value to my collection which is a good thing but I'm not making 35% more than I was in 2008/2009 although I should be. And I don't see where this stops...by 2015 it will be $30+ per figure plus higher taxes and shipping fees with the same quality and shipping time.
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Jeremy; January 10, 2013 at 04:48pm.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Heroic Warrior
    Yep...that's part of the reason I got a subscription. It's not cheap. It never was. $20 a figure back in 2008 was expensive. BUT IT'S WORTH IT! To me at least. I have an overflowing shelf full of the best He-Man figures I could have ever imagined.

Okay...there could be some improvements. I hope QC will improve. Especially paint apps. It's had some issues. However, in my entire time of collecting the line (since the original SDCC King Grayskull) I've only ever had to return/exchange one figure. I had way more issues with Marvel Legends at retail (paint and stuck joints).

Wow, I just casually buy these. I had no idea that there are so many issues with the line!!!!
    I have a subscription and have had very few issues. And the my subscription page is up and running. Yes there have been problems, and yes they should be addressed, but it's not widespread. If you're enjoying the line, continue to do so. If you have anything defective, Mattel will replace it.

But yeah…as far as the OP goes…we've known about the price hike for quite some time now.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

It's probably already been said, but this will make it hard for new people to want to start collecting this line. I was lucky because I started last August during SDCC and got my first 3 figs on sale. And then I cherry picked for the rest of the year. At $22 I felt it was worth it. But at $27, there is no way I would've started. Luckily I subbed for this year, ended up doing it before I got my first 3 figs which seemed dumb at the time but worked out great for me since I fell in love with this line. But yeah $27 is too high, it won't kill the line but it will make it harder to grow it.