Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 109 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 109 Discussion!

Episode 109 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter and "Pixel Dan" Eardley are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss
    Toy Fair,
    Godfather and Hobbit,
    Wii U,
    braggin' Dan,
    Hoverboard,
    delayed shipping notice,
    Star Sister - Bios,
    Temple of Darkness Sorceress - Bio,
    Fearless Photog - Bio,
    other figures in MOTUC,
    concept and development characters
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 22 minutes, 42 seconds

Direct link for Episode 109

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Yay!!! Gooble!! Gooble!!! Gooble!!!

Hey Val, anyway to note when the podcast was recorded? It helps put it into perspective when you are talking about topics etc.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

This was one of the funniest episodes ever, anybody who turned of missed a lot of fun The 40th anouncement imitation was so funny.

Dan, i hope you get well soon and being able to wrestle again.

I am all for a Madam Raz and Broom. Even in that original Filmation style. And a Box set with all the little guys, imp, lookie kowl, that strange thing that helped teela fall in the shaft of grayskull and whatever small guys there were.

And while listening to the photog stuff i began sketching an image, but then Dan wanted Matt to do the cover, so i stopped, but here is what i did so far.
    Hope you enjoy anyways.

Photogpress.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Hey Val, anyway to note when the podcast was recorded? It helps put it into perspective when you are talking about topics etc.
    December 16th. So a few weeks ago. BOOYA!

I've listened to every episode of Roast Gooble but after listening to this particular one I was finally compelled to call in for the first time. In any event, I was very happy to hear Madame Razz and Broom be discussed in a more in depth fashion. Keep them coming!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Thanks for a great episode again
    Have the exact same opinion about the Hobbit like Penny and i always fast forward the disgusting insect scene in King Kong but i love the fight with the T-Rexes! Some of those scenes are looking like a Frazetta painting!
    The Wrestling/Pixel-Dan dilemma of Dan is really funny
    And just two words "Freestyle Bane"

Regarding the Temple of Darkness Sorceress bio:

I don't know if you do the bios justice if you say it's not epic enough. I think it extremely epic. Here is how Toyguru explained it:
    Two powers make up the Power of Grayskull, both from the gods. This may clarify:

The gods' aura (the little bits of their energy left behind, which was raw creation power), through a series of events, became known as the "Power of the Universe"

Eventually through another series of events this Power is captured and winds up contained/bonded with the Sword of He which is brought to Eternia by He-Ro. Eventually through a series of events this power is removed from the sword by Grayskull's Elders and contained in an orb hidden in Castle Grayskull.

Meanwhile, back to the gods...

Before they left the universe and only their aura remained, they hid their magic deep inside Eternia in the shape of a star. The Elders of Eternia had the wisdom to tap into this magic. In the 200X series you see them combine their forms and their wisdom to tap into Eternia's magic with the orb (with the help of the Sorceress creating the now unified "Power of Grayskull".

The orb now contains both the wisdom to tap into the god's hidden magic (star seed) on the inside and a shell compromised of the Power of the Universe (which had been extracted from the Sword of He) into one unified power called "The Power of Grayskull" which is used by/channeled/harmonized by He-Man and She-Ra. Hope that helps.
    So translating this into a chain of events:

• The Gods create the Five Dimensions – the Dimensions of Eternia, Despondos and Infinita, the Timeless Dimension of Trolla and the Nameless Dimension
    • Before they leave the universe the Gods hide their magic in the form of a star – the Star Seed –deep within the core of a small planet at the center of the Dimension of Eternia – the planet Eternia
    • The giant Procrustus is tasked to guard the Star Seed and the Gods’ Magic within Eternia’s core
    • Over centuries the Gods’ Magic slowly seeps out, blessing many wise Eternian wizards with the power and wisdom to control and tap into these great magic energies
    • The Overlords of Trolla on the other hand start to harness a different source of power, the Aura of the Gods, the remains of the raw creation power the Gods left behind when they left the universe – also known as the Power of the Universe
    • In every generation the Overlords of Trolla recruit a Cosmic Warrior to fight Evil and give him the Sword of He, a weapon infused with the Power of the Universe.
    • Ro receives the Sword of He from the Overlords of Trolla to combat evil - he becomes the Cosmic Warrior He-Ro
    • Upon his heroic death He-Ro bequeaths the Sword of He to King Grayskull, a destined guardian of the sword
    • King Grayskull falls before Hordak’s magic, but with his last breath magically passes his essence into the Sword of He, ensuring that only his heirs can wield the “Power Sword” and tap into the Power of the Universe
    • The Council of Elders splits the Power Sword in two and the Power of the Universe transcends into a great orb the Council hides deep within the abyss below Castle Grayskull
    • At the end of the Great Unrest the Sorceress helps the remaining Elders to combine the orb containing the Power of the Universe with the Elders’ wisdom to tap into the God’s Magic hidden at the core of Eternia, creating a new unified force - the "Power of Grayskull"
    • Prince Adam combines the two halves of the Power Sword and uses the Full Power Sword to channel the Power of Grayskull to become HE-MAN

Oh. And keep reading the timeline!

Wheres the irishman hiding???
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Hey, Danielle, don't worry. I haven't see the Godfather yet either. I know its good... but I don't know what my problem is.

I really, REALLY do not want a Madame Razz. To me she looks way too goofy. And she definately needs to much unique tooling.

I would be extremely upset, if I get Madame Razz and not a figure with less tooling = every other POP character.

The same is true for Gwildor, Kowl, Broom, the Twiggets, Lookee or any other character of their ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I don't know if you do the bios justice if you say it's not epic enough. I think it extremely epic. Here is how Toyguru explained it:
    In fairness, we're reading the bios as printed on the card, not along with additional explanations posted online that a number of people might not see or read.

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    I would def buy a Xmas prince Adam or a Xmas pack
    I love the 1940s news voices you guys did, it was really funny especially compounded with photog
    Even with just the Mattel bio, I always thought Photog picked up on guys' weaknesses where he used it in that battle or later for another battle
    Most Wanted MOTUC's not shown: Quake, Sagitar, Dark Dream, Filmation Garth (post transformation), Filmation Evil Seed, MYP Miro, Lord Masque

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Good heavens you three anyone playing the Drinking game during this podcast may need a new liver. May need a special subsection of the Marketplace here for that
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Glory Bird is the Star Sisters' guardian. It's his responsibility to guide them and ensure they return to the Crystal Cavern every new moon - the night of greatest starlight - to recharge their star energy. In the adventures from the She-Ra magazine, he is perched up on Starla's shoulder and she sends him out to get help in times of extreme danger.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Another cool episode guys, I'm glad you are catching up on them.

As some others do, I tend to listen to them a few times over cause I always enjoy sometimes jotting notes along with the topics covered to throw my own 2 cents here and there' since they also open up ideas I may have not thought of until you guys ask specific questions concerning said topics.

As far as some of things discussed in this episode:

I did like the Star Sisters bio since it tried to get a lot it, but as Penny said maybe if they individualized them, maybe more could be said? I think the package should've opened with a unified paragraph explaining the three then giving them each their own.

As far as Orko goes, dead on with him being the child's view / perspective into the world of MOTU with him also having the opportunity to be something bigger and more. I think this was the message for us all watching the show, we all have it in us to be more like our heroes or anyone else we looked upon as powerful or big people in our lives.
    But one thing as Penny discussed Orko and his possible duties in regards to Adam reminded me very strongly of King Arthur and Merlin, in particular BBC's Merlin Series. Are you guys familiar with it? It's a young adult version of the rise of King Arthur (as well as Merlin) where magic is forbidden in Camelot, so Merlin has to hide out as Arthur's bumbling servant. But Merlin spends most of the episode helping Arthur (indirectly) saving the kingdom form evil and Arthur's sister Morgana always keeping the guise that he's a klutz and simpleton servant to Arthur. (It's on Netflix )

As far as Photog, I actually submitted a revised bio (on the forums) where Project P.H.O.T.O.G was an space exploration android that Earth Astronaut Capt. Marlena Glenn was actually charged with taking into a part of space where he was released to recon, document and record data in unexplored areas for information and future space exploration. Due to a freak accident, (Separation Spell ? ) Marlena's ship was lost into a portal which left her crashing on Eternia where she was found by.... and this was the beginning of my version. I see P.H.O.T.O.G as part of an Eternian recon team which would consist of himself, Mekaneck and maybe one or two other members who operated from Point Dread.

My thought on Madam Razz; as much as I am not to keen with these characters cause I agree they appear to be too 'tooney', BUT I actually thought about this as you discussed this and i drummed this up...

I think I would portray Razz as a tragic character kind in the vein of Orko's plight where he is a pretty powerful individual, but there's something that either hinders them or handicaps their potential. I don't remember how bad her powers were but I would say the reason why she is like this is because maybe during the initial invasion of The Horde on Etheria, Razz was captured and tortured to the point where she was damaged by Hordak where she became diminished in the sense she is now. I would even venture is her bio was tweaked where she actually trained magic users of Etheria (Castaspella, Light Spinner) and was betrayed by Light Spinner??? Just throwing it out there and with that said I could definitely think of some meat for her to make her a legitimate presence. That would make me want her where I initially didn't.

But that's all for now guys can't wait for the next episode! And NO SCIENTISTS!!!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

I think a Madame Razz figure could have a basic torso that could be reused for Gwildor, Kowl, Loo-Kee, and Imp. All it would take is a rubber molded outfit to go over this torso that would, in her case, give her breasts. In Kowl's case, a piece that goes over the torso that gives him that "furry chest", a robe piece could go over Gwildor, etc.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Great episode

I believe that one reason that there is much hate towards the hoverboard is the way that Mattel marketed it for presale. Stated they have 30 props to be used for reference and are in contact with the original design team. After the money was taken and orders made the changed the team working on it and wouldn't take any input on erroroneous aspects, just stated it wasn't final.

J

awesome show guys - thanks

val - i totally agree with your opinions on madame razz ... i think a character like that could cause a stir amongst a large portion of the fan-base ... if the figure does get made (which i think she will) that's cool - i'd be happy for all the fans out there who do want her ... i personally just wouldn't buy/keep the figure and sell the figure on to a fan who does want the character ... but it would be interesting to see how the 4H tool a character like that to aesthetically fit into the classics style ...

ultimately it just comes down to taste/preference ... if you're into POP/filmation you'll want the figure, if you're not - you don't ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; January 12, 2013 at 04:08am.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    I wish Eamon was around for the Star Sisters bio.

I quite look forward to Madame Razz as she's a main player in the She-Ra PoP series. I honestly don't see how she's any more "cartoony" than Orko and most everyone accepts him just fine?

Great stuff as usual, Gooble crew! I love that we're getting caught up on more current happenings as well as the bios.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

I remember Madame Razz from the cartoon, but I can't remember anything she did. Granted, the cartoon felt too "pink/girly" for me as a child, and I only watched it because it had the Horde. Personally, I have no interest towards the character, and agree that she feels too toony. Then again Fangman feels that way too, and I feel there really hasn't been "one look" for the line any more.

I also agree getting really upset about character choices is a bit odd. However Val also mentioned age, so I am curious how old are the RAGE people, not that we will ever know, I guess. Age does bring certain perspective with most people. Also then there is the second type of people who get empowered by upsetting others, it lives on these forums and in every day life. I can't accept "the high" from hurting people.

If you want to talk about the problem of things being too cartoony in the cartoons and how they might be translated into the current toyline... let's pretend Ram Man only existed in Filmation. That version of Ram Man is AS cartoony as you can get. Now, in this imaginary reality, the Four Horsemen take this Ram Man character, use their finesse, update him as if he had been a classic MOTU toy... and tada! Ram Man looks in MOTUC the way the figure coming out next month looks! Now look at Madam Razz... I'm pretty sure the Horsemen are going to do wonders with her. I know they aren't going to change her proportions necessarily or make her "sexy", but Swift Wind came out amazing- sporting his Filmation design yet hardly looking cartoony. I imagine- if they do her right- Razz coming out and having little details on the clothing, some dimension to her entire head/hat sculpt, the hair, etc. Small nuances that will turn her from a sometimes irritating "Saturday morning cartoon" character into a quirky and unique MOTUC figure with no less love put into it than Granamyr. But on a much smaller scale.
    Then again, Orko wasn't exactly a knock-it-out-of-the-park sculpt (he came out a tad too basic for me, and the paint bleed on the ears didn't help), and the Star Sisters got very little detailing from their necks down... so perhaps I'm wrong on how Razz will fit into the line. But I'm hoping for the best, and I used to be the last person who ever thought I would welcome her and Broom into the line!
    Last edited by zodak74; January 12, 2013 at 01:32pm.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Madame Razz was typically portrayed as a powerful (I think very powerful) Witch in her own right. Her problem was that she would forget parts of spells or substitute a word for the proper word (She turned two Horde Troopers into sheep instead of putting them to sleep) or would get some aspect of the casting wrong (she would conjure breakfast and a giant pancake would fall on everyone). It seemed like this was more because of advanced age than anything else.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    December 16th. So a few weeks ago. BOOYA!
    Hey Val, are you sure this wasn't the 23rd? Granamyr didn't go on sale until the 17th. Otherwise, great podcast as usual!
    "Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar." - Marilyn Manson

Heroic Warrior
    Great episode. I will say in regards to the Hoverboard that I really don't think it is unfair for customers to be angry at Mattel even though they did offer cancellations. Although it was disappointing, many people could accept the lack of a lenticular. What was unacceptable and unexpected was that Mattel used a paper sticker held together with scotch tape instead. Mattel did not release review samples until the last minute so it was a tough decision on whether or not to cancel the preorder. That's where a lot of the anger comes from. Yes we knew in October that there would be no lenticular, but it wasn't until it was in hand that we knew how much Mattel had cut costs on the $120 prop replica.
    Last edited by PPC; January 12, 2013 at 04:37pm.