Thread: The flu...and what to do

Master of New Adventures!

The flu...and what to do

So a little unscientific study: Have you had the flu? How many people that you know have had it? Have you taken the flu shot? What do you feel about the flu shot? Numerous Chicago hospitals' ERs are so swamped that they are actually turning away ambulances with patients.

From a Yahoo article:

Since September, the CDC has reported more than 22,000 (emphasis added) cases of flu, compared to just 849 cases in the same period a year ago. The surge of infections has prompted Boston to declare a public health emergency, and a Pennsylvania hospital was so swamped that it had to put up a tent to handle flu patients.

Jack two weeks before christmas, we had two people come in with it to work. By that Friday, myself and 32 other people had it.

I had the "full flu" a couple of years ago. Really bad-vomiting,extreme sorenes, and heavy fever. This time I had high fever and some of the aches but it wasn't near as bad. Took about 5 days to get over.

Oh, and no sir, I've never had a flu shot. Knew two people who got the shot and then immediately got the flu. So I'm paranoid.

After reading this and knowing people as they do things if the Zombie Epidemic were to happen we would all be in BIG Trouble!

Heroic Warrior
    Before misinformation gets out of control: flu shots can not make you ill. The virus in the shot is so weak so as to only produce antibodies. If one gets sick then probably one of three scenarios took place.
    1. You already had the flu or what made you sick was not the flu virus.
    (This happens frequently because look where you are getting your shot- a clinic, pharmacy. Somewhere sick people are. Wash your hands thoroughly, don't touch your face, and stay away from the coughing people)
    2. The flu you got was not in the vaccine, in other words unanticipated. They put about 20-25 strains in a vaccine. There are probably hundreds out there.
    3. You didn't get the shot soon enough. Takes 2 weeks to build antibodies to the vaccine.
    Successful Transactions with: Jeff_R
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I have an immune illness and so the flu shot has a small % chance of completely disabling me, any % is too high for me so for 3 years now I have not gotten a flu shot and watched the rest of my family get sick who did get the shot.

My mom currently has the Flu, I mean actually diagnosed with it not just she thinks she has it and she has been weak and out of it for about a week. They told her it would take 3 weeks for her to recover. It is pretty nasty when it hits because it hits hard!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Thanks for that, Dark. I'm very aware that you are correct -- that one does not get ill from the shot, although one can suffer some flu-like symptoms from it.

My understanding is that the flu shot surely does not cover all strains, but that it does cover some and that the odds of getting the flu are significantly reduced by getting the shot. I guess I have a skepticism of anything having to do with the government, but the flu situation is so rampant now that I've finally decided to get shots for all of us this week. Please, Lord, don't let us get the flu immediately after having the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrkKnight View Post
    Before misinformation gets out of control: flu shots can not make you ill. The virus in the shot is so weak so as to only produce antibodies. If one gets sick then probably one of three scenarios took place.
    1. You already had the flu or what made you sick was not the flu virus.
    (This happens frequently because look where you are getting your shot- a clinic, pharmacy. Somewhere sick people are. Wash your hands thoroughly, don't touch your face, and stay away from the coughing people)
    2. The flu you got was not in the vaccine, in other words unanticipated. They put about 20-25 strains in a vaccine. There are probably hundreds out there.
    3. You didn't get the shot soon enough. Takes 2 weeks to build antibodies to the vaccine.

I've had the flu a few years ago and since then I make sure to get my flu shot each year and it's seems to work for me heck I can't even remember the last time I had a simple cold lol.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I'll respond to the survey:

1. I have not had the Flu this season
    2. I have known seven people who have had it this season
    3. I did not get the flu shot, but my 19 month old did
    4. I have only had the flu shot once and it was provided for free by my work. After the lady had stuck the needle in me and then pulled it away I noticed she wan't wearing gloves. I then proceeded to watch her do this with the next person in line. It creeped me out and I vowed to never have one again. I also felt very sick after getting it. Not sure if they lower your immune system or what. I don't really like the concept of injecting my body with stuff any way.

I live in Phoenix, AZ and it has defintely been going around here, but not like the story you posted in Chicago!!!
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Thanks for that, Dark. I'm very aware that you are correct -- that one does not get ill from the shot, although one can suffer some flu-like symptoms from it.

My understanding is that the flu shot surely does not cover all strains, but that it does cover some and that the odds of getting the flu are significantly reduced by getting the shot. I guess I have a skepticism of anything having to do with the government, but the flu situation is so rampant now that I've finally decided to get shots for all of us this week. Please, Lord, don't let us get the flu immediately after having the shot.
    The biggest problem this year is the prominent strain of the flu for 2013 is one that is a variation of one not covered by the current flu shot. So in essence the flu shot is absolutely worthless against the current strain. Normally that is not the case
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

So now what the hell do I do?!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The biggest problem this year is the prominent strain of the flu for 2013 is one that is a variation of one not covered by the current flu shot. So in essence the flu shot is absolutely worthless against the current strain. Normally that is not the case

So now what the hell do I do?!
    Just be vigilant about washing your hands and try to minimize your exposure to germs/coughing/sick people, there is no real cure to the flu anyway as you never want to take too many antibiotics or else the flu strain will become resistant. A flu shot will help a lot of kids and older adults who do not have the body to fight the disease. From my experience 18-50 year olds don't really seem to benefit much from it as their immune systems are capable unless they have had health issues (stroke, heart attack, diabetes, etc).

But Mark, I read so much that says it helps everyone, and the CDC says everyone should get the shots.

Don't know what to do here.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Just be vigilant about washing your hands and try to minimize your exposure to germs/coughing/sick people, there is no real cure to the flu anyway as you never want to take too many antibiotics or else the flu strain will become resistant. A flu shot will help a lot of kids and older adults who do not have the body to fight the disease. From my experience 18-50 year olds don't really seem to benefit much from it as their immune systems are capable unless they have had health issues (stroke, heart attack, diabetes, etc).

But Mark, I read so much that says it helps everyone, and the CDC says everyone should get the shots.

Don't know what to do here.
    You have to go with your gut, the CDC is going to recommend it for everyone because in theory everyone being vaccinated will cut down on the spread of disease. At least have your kids get it since their immune systems are still developing they are most at risk.

Another thing to keep in mind is not everyone who claims to have the flu actually has it, some have whopping cough, some have sinus or upper respiratory infections. The actual number of people with the "real" flu is relatively small in comparison.

So if you are worried get the shot, if you are already healthy it can't really hurt you. Like I said above I don't get it because I have an immune issue which makes it risky for me to get the shot.

On the upside the flu season is generally set to go about 1 more month, so if you opt not to get it you have only a month and a half to worry. Flu season basically ends with the coming of Spring

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    None of us got the flu shot this year.....and I'm the only one in my family who avoided it. My poor pregnant wife was miserable for 2 weeks....and had strep on top of the Influenza. Her Dr. said she shoulda got the shot in October. I asked about now and she said it's a bit late, just remember for next year.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I got the flu shot back around August. I had a couple days where I felt a little poopy later on when I ran into the real flu, but nothing like others around me have had.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

I had the flu in November, and OMG it was so bad... I was a WRECK of a human.
    ... I laid there and dear god help me, I didnt know what was worse; he EXTREME fatigue, random muscle spasms, nausea, or exhaustion;... WORST COLD EVER!!
    On day 2 or three I started taking Airborne; ya those lil over the counter stuff; an Powerade mixed with pedialyte an that helped considerably. It at least gave me energy to live back during the cold an I could still function as a single parent.

...this year I AM NOT taking the chance of going thru that again, my butt is going an getting a flu shot today! I highly recommend that if you can go get a flu shot, do so. Best $25-$30 you will spend this year!

I got my first ever flu shot early last September. About 15 people at my work got it bad over Christmas. By New Year's, I ended up getting a sore throat, a crazy running nose, and on and off headaches that lasted close to a week. But not at all feverish or run-down. I chalk it up to either the flu shot, or maybe I was just hit hard by allergies? Either way, I'm pretty vigilant about handwashing, not touching my face at work, that sort of thing. And I'm pretty healthy. So... ???
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Nope, no flu for me. I tend to avoid people and children altogther as a whole anyways.
    Nope, no flu shots for me. Never had a need for one.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I had the flu for most of November and the beginning of December. I had it for over a month! I wasn't so sick that I couldn't work, but that didn't mean I didn't feel horrible. It was mostly nausea, fever, and muscle aches. Everything I ate went right through me and I eventually lost my appetite. By the end I'd lost around 18 pounds...which is a lot because I'm not very big to begin with. I seem to be stable at 105lbs, but I can still see my ribs and my appetite hasn't returned completely. The fever and sore throat started up again about a week ago, and the nausea hit me again 4 days ago. All I can do is drink plenty of fluids, take my vitamins and rest whenever I can.

To everyone out there who's been sick: I feel your pain, and I wish you all the best of health to start the New Year!

As long as I have gotten a flu shot I have not got the flu. This year it hit my dad and the department I work at pretty hard. Me, my wife and kids got the shot early this year and have been spared to this point. We've had the cold symptoms but the flu shot seems to have helped it.

The shot works form my experience. I was fpoced to get it whe nI was in the Air Force and always go a cold after getting it but never the full on flu. When I got out I stopped getting it. Not a smwart move as I work in public safety and I'm exposed to all sorts of sruff. Well one year that I did not get the shot I got the flu pretty bad. I've been a beliver in the shot ever since.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes