Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite MOTUC figure based on the original 8-backs?

Favorite MOTUC figure based on the original 8-backs?

Hopefully this isn't too pedestrian of a thread for this forum. Newbs like me often make these kinds of threads.

I spent a long time as a kid staring at the 8-back artwork on the back of my first MOTU figures. One of the things I really like about MOTUC is that that artwork now has figures that match up to it pretty well. The original He-Man matched his 8-back art, but Mer-Man did not. Etc.

I'd have to say my favorite is Mer-Man. Of all the vintage figures, the old Mer-Man strayed the furthest from his 8-back art. It's so fun to have that version in a figure finally. Furthermore, the figure just pops. Mer-Man isn't even my favorite character, but his figure is just beautiful in person. The shading in his armor and on his skin is just fantastic. I wish Skeletor's armor had more of that. Mer-Man is the only MOTUC I have a duplicate of (I have the blue version as well).

Mine has better shading than this example. But it's hard I think to do justice to Mer-Man in a photo. He looks better in person.

Sorry if this is a boring, rehashed topic.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Favorite MOTUC figure based on the original 8-backs?
    Skeletor, duh!

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I like Skeletor's body (steady, steady!), but have mixed feelings about his face paint. It's pretty sloppy in a lot of them.
    By the ancients!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I like Skeletor's body (steady, steady!).
    I personally like him for his mind and all the wonderful conversations we have but to each his own.

Although, I must say that Mer-Man is a very close second in favorite 8-backer for me.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I personally like him for his mind and all the wonderful conversations we have but to each his own.

Although, I must say that Mer-Man is a very close second in favorite 8-back for me.
    Whenever I'd try to talk to Skeletor about our relationship he'd change the subject to his plan to get the two halves of the power sword. It's like he was never really there, even when he was there. I think he was afraid to commit.
    By the ancients!!!

I did the same thing you did as a kid with that card back. I love 'em all. But I have to say Teela was my favorite image from the cardback because, like Mer-Man, she was so much more embellished and different than the actual toy.

I really like He-Man a LOT but Zodac is such a mishmash of parts I think he is my favorite. Am I the only person who doesn't like posing He-Man with his axe? I've never liked it as a weapon for him but the huge 200X version was more acceptable.

Mer-Man, for sure.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    I did the same thing you did as a kid with that card back. I love 'em all. But I have to say Teela was my favorite image from the cardback because, like Mer-Man, she was so much more embellished and different than the actual toy.
    Teela really is great. I don't have the figure because now she's so expensive (closest I have is Goddess). I didn't have one as a kid because I was one of those kids who didn't want any female action figures - I thought they were too girly. Silly me. I always did like Teela's snake armor, though.
    By the ancients!!!

For me it's between Merman, Teela, Man-At-Arms, Skeletor and Zodac.
    He-Man is close, as is Beastman and Stratos. See? I can't pick a favorite from this group. This is the core of MotU for me. I love them all!
    I repainted my Zodac's helmet to have the red trim on the bottom which I like a lot and pushes him further from Zodak.
    I wish Stratos' colors came out closer to the lighter grays on the illustration, and I wouldn't have minded a little more ghoulish ape in Bestman's face like the illustration, maybe a more open mouth with ridiculous teeth.
    He-Man is He-Man... I like him overall well enough, but the face PAINTS could've been much better. (I've repainted mine, the sculpt is great, the eye paint apps done by the factory have always been a bit bonk.)

Simply put, thank you for the beautiful large scan of that 8-back, and really, all 8 of the figures look enough like these illustrations I'm very happy with them all.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I really like He-Man a LOT but Zodac is such a mishmash of parts I think he is my favorite. Am I the only person who doesn't like posing He-Man with his axe? I've never liked it as a weapon for him but the huge 200X version was more acceptable.
    As a kid I preferred using the axe because the it was hard to make the half sword look good (I was always trying to hide flat half). Now I still prefer the axe because of my reintroduction to the early mini comics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    For me it's between Merman, Teela, Man-At-Arms, Skeletor and Zodac.
    He-Man is close, as is Beastman and Stratos. See? I can't pick a favorite from this group. This is the core of MotU for me. I love them all!
    I repainted my Zodac's helmet to have the red trim on the bottom which I like a lot and pushes him further from Zodak.
    I wish Stratos' colors came out closer to the lighter grays on the illustration, and I wouldn't have minded a little more ghoulish ape in Bestman's face like the illustration, maybe a more open mouth with ridiculous teeth.
    He-Man is He-Man... I like him overall well enough, but the face PAINTS could've been much better. (I've repainted mine, the sculpt is great, the eye paint apps done by the factory have always been a bit bonk.)

Simply put, thank you for the beautiful large scan of that 8-back, and really, all 8 of the figures look enough like these illustrations I'm very happy with them all.

MOTUC MAA turned out great. He was always the plain, pug-nosed character in the vintage line, but his MOTUC version is bad ass. The fur lining his armor makes a big difference I think. Also it's easier to hide his face behind the face guard thing.

He-Man I think looks less like the 8-back than the vintage figure did. I wish his face was more like the vintage face, but he's still one of my favorites.
    By the ancients!!!

My favorite MOTUC figure based on an 8 back is He-Man because: 1- It's He-Man (gotta love circular reasoning) and 2 - It is the closest to the vintage toy design. When I was a kid I ripped my figures out of their cardboard and blister prisons and never paid a second thought to the artwork on the card. I'm probably one of only a few orgers here who actually wants to see a vintage toy style MOTUC Mer-Man as well as Skeletor and Zodac with the vintage toy style forearms and boots.

He-Man I think looks less like the 8-back than the vintage figure did. I wish his face was more like the vintage face, but he's still one of my favorites.
    If I have only one gripe with MOTUC He-Man it’s that his face looks more like 200X He-Man than vintage toy He-Man. I would have preferred if it looked much more like the original.

Last edited by FAKER II; January 11, 2013 at 01:17pm.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I'm going to have to go with Zodac. Seeing him in a case at a con was the thing that got me into MOTUC after initially holding out.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    My favorite MOTUC figure based on an 8 back is He-Man because: 1- It's He-Man (gotta love circular reasoning) and 2 - It is the closest to the vintage toy design. When I was a kid I ripped my figures out of their cardboard and blister prisons and never paid a second thought to the artwork on the card. I'm probably one of only a few orgers here who actually wants to see a vintage toy style MOTUC Mer-Man as well as Skeletor and Zodac with the vintage toy style forearms and boots.

If I have only one gripe with MOTUC He-Man it’s that his face looks more like 200X He-Man than vintage toy He-Man. I would have preferred if it looked much more like the original.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z...n%2520Head.jpg
    I actually would love to have a vintage style Mer-Man as well, without the coloring on boots and gloves, and with the orange furry undies.

I'd love to have that face or something similar for my He-Man (maybe raise the cheekbones a little). It's not as handsome as the MOTUC face, but I don't think all heroes necessarily need to be models. He-Man is a big, strong dude who carries an axe and a sword. He doesn't need to be handsome as well.
    By the ancients!!!

Mer-Man. No doubt.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

MOTUC Most Wanted: General Sunder, Mermista, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Saurod, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ninjor, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Peekablue, Perfuma, Enchantress, Lord Masque.

Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Without question, Mer-Man.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

Mer-Man for me too.

On the He-Man ax thing, I pose He-Man with the sword & shield, but BA He-Man gets the ax & shield. Mostly from that great 80's art that has been burned into my brain.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    DYLAMANIA IS RUNNIN' WILD! THE MOB IS GROWING!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Mer-Man. His cardback accurate appearance sold me on Classics. That was something that we had never gotten before.

This, Man-At-Arms with GREEN fur and Teela with a removable head.

He-Man is armed with an axe and shield in my house.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

My favorites are Teela, Beast Man, He-Man & Skeletor, pretty much my favorites.

I'd have preferred MAA to be more toy colors, Mer-Man I like, the Vintage way, five fingered hands and all, but I do admit I like the goofy cardback head a little, looks more fishy than the cat like Vintage head. But my Ultimate Mer-Man would have to have the Filmation head.

I prefer the TRU Filmation style Zodac to the original claw-foot ungloved version & Stratos is Stratos, he's not a favorite of mine, but I do like him.

I like Skeletor's body (steady, steady!), but have mixed feelings about his face paint. It's pretty sloppy in a lot of them.
    I love the paint on Classics Skeletor, looks more realistic than the toy ever was, in fact I have the Alcala head on the original, the originals head on BA Skeletor. And I also like the DB Skeletor head.

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    No, I have He-Man's axe in his back strap, but his sword is held up high, I don't think of He-Man using the axe and shield, but I do like how the toy looks all geared up....strange that one, but I love how he looks displayed like that, but as far as holding the axe, no, the only one that holds the axe is BA He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z...n%2520Head.jpg
    No, you're not alone, I'd prefer the Vintage Mer-Man if I couldn't get a Filmation version as well (5 fingered hands, ungloved), keep the optional head, and personally I do like the yellow shins though....But what I do like is the Gloves and yellow shins because he has a more Filmation vibe, even though it's cardback accurate, but I'd still prefer 5 fingers to 3, and a "HI, how ya doin' " waving hand.

I prefer the Classics He-Man head over the Vintage have to poop but have to go far less than Classics Ram-Man face.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 11, 2013 at 04:05pm.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Podcaster
    1. Mer-Man (Cardback head ftw!)
    2. Man-At-Arms (Extra head plus expert detailing!)
    3. Teela (Beautiful while still powerful!)
    4. Beast Man (Always loved the colors - now they're brighter!)
    5. He-Man (The man, the myth, the legend! I'm an ax guy as well!)
    6. Skeletor (Love the colors and the skull face but wish he had a real hood and not a bonnet!)
    7. Stratos (Flying ape is awesome, just has tough competition!)
    8. Zodac (No problems really, but liked the 200X redesign better. This guy always felt kit-bashy to me, even new!)
    Angella - BLADE! - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - DOUBLE TROUBLE! - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - EXTENDAR! - FLUTTERINA!
    Flying Fists He-Man - Gwildor - Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - Mermista - MultiBot - Ninjor - Peekablue - Perfuma
    RIO BLAST! - Rotar - Saurod - Spinnerella - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Tung Lashor - Twistoid

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    Mer-Man is my choice. Overall, I think all of them are pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I love the paint on Classics Skeletor, looks more realistic than the toy ever was, in fact I have the Alcala head on the original, the originals head on BA Skeletor. And I also like the DB Skeletor head.
    I like it when it turns out well. The first one I got looked like Skeletor stepped in front of a barrage of green paintball fire.
    By the ancients!!!

Mer man is Perfect. Love how they have done them all but man the king of the ocean is too good
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

Snappy Threader
    Man-At-Arms for me....

Gosh, they're all great, aren't they? No worries about posting such threads, Lich Leech, and welcome aboard by the way!

At the moment, I'd say my favorite 8-Backer is Teela... Maybe Zodac...Mer-Man perhaps? Hmmmm.....
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!