Skeletor & Mer Man
As far as accurancy goes - I'd say Mer-Man, Zodac and Man-At-Arms - All great figures which look like the leapt off the cardback.
Teela is one of my favourites - but her figure is not 100% accurate to her cardback - the closed hand and the gold on the braciers (should be plain white) also longer leaves on her belt.
Skeletor and He-Man and Stratos are nearly there - I wish Skeletor's face was more vicious and scarey like the cardback, but they decided to go for the vintage figure for obvious reasons.
Beastman is a cool figure - sometimes underrated - but not accurate of the cardback at all - moreso the vintage figure.
MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |
Skeletor & Mer Man
My favorite of the 8-back figures is Zodac. I think they really nailed his look.
After that I would show some love for Beast Man. That poor fuzzball never gets any love and that figure is really sharp.
I would say, Honestly Teela, then Beast Man....
Mer-Man is not the version I would have preferred, I don't like the open hand, just because it's shown 30 years ago, and I don't like the 3 fingered hands at all. And I would have preferred a Filmation styled extra head, I know they couldn't then, but they can now, throw it in with one of the new Filmation guys Mattel. I made new 5 fingered hands for him, and I like them much better.
Wanted.... Masque, Crita & Vultak
Needed.... Dragstor & the new Filmation line.
Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....
It was always and always will be Mer-Man! I remember being hypnotized by the way he looked and how cool he was... I never liked the original toy too much because of how different he was. Always wanted that Mer-Man on the back of the packages. (Finally got him with Classics!)
I love the He-Man rendering, he's my favorite of the original 8 back, although MAA is a close second. Mer Man really looks great too. But the winner for card back accuracy (even though he's not on the 8 back) to me is Ram Man.
It's between Mer-Man and Teela for me.
Mer-Man because of...well, now he looked like the card back! That's pretty dang cool. They also gave you both heads so you could choose your look!
Teela because her figure really brought her to her full potential. She came with a little bit of everything: classic stuff, 200X stuff, and then you can see a bit of that gold helmet sticking out of the snake armor on the back of the card, so they added that as well! Main reason she's a good choice is that she does all those things but pulls them all off in a classic way that harkens so closely to the card back. Good stuff!
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.
Man-At-Arms and Mer-Man are my favorites and He-Man is my least favorite unfortunately.
Would love to get a He-Man 2.0 or an Alcala He-Man
I had Mer-Man as a kid so I have to go with him just because. Weirdly when I think MOTU I don't think He-man and Skeletor.
Skeletor for me. Skeletor is my favorite motu character, so there's that. Aside from that, Classics this version has poseability, weapons, wonderful colors and paint apps. I prefer booted feet, but I'm fine with what we have.
If my house were burning down, and I can only grab one figure, I'm grabbing Skeletor.
After him concerning the 8 back it's
and I really love Zodac. That really speaks to how awesome these figures are.
All of them are so amazing! I really think that it's a toss up for me between Mer-Man, Man-At-Arms and Teela. The other are really close, though! I know that Skeletor's Alcala head isn't really 8-backish per say, but I think that it makes him the best overall figure of the 8 when added!
I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!
"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"
It was a surprisingly hard choice.
I went with TEELA. I've mentioned many times before my disappointment over never obtaining many of the lead characters in my childhood collection, and Teela was the most desired. I was gifted the Teela/Zoar two pack for my birthday in 1985, along with Battle Bones and one other item I don't recall, but my parents took Teela out of the packaging and threw her away.
So, Teela was the Holy Grail, and something I wasn't "meant" to have. Naturally, I purchased THREE when the MOTUC version went on sale. Take that, Dad!
Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!
I would rank these 8 figures:
1. Mer-Man - one of my favorite characters and this version is amazing!
2. Man-At-Arms - a figure I thought was boring as a kid, but this version is perfect all the extras awesome update!
3. Teela - She's just an awesome figure with lots of accessories
4. Skeletor - Another awesome update of a great character
5. Beast Man - Great sculpt, great paint, another great figure!
6. He-Man - Great version of the man, he's just not a favorite of mine
7. Zodac - vintage clone not enough of an update for me
8. Stratos - Boring character, boring vintage clone, one of my least favorite figures in the line (unfortunately he was my free Frosta figure x 3)
Mer-Man for sure. I was so disapointed as a kid have Mer-Man & he didn't look like the box art or the Filmation cartoon.
second pic for me is M@A
Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor
I agree with you , Lich Leech. Mer-Man all the way. In fact, I could have posted exactly what you did word for word.
*6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS*
1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, 2008
I gotta go with Stratos. I didn't even like him as a kid, and didn't plan on getting him for MOTUC. However he was a convenient pickup in a TRU 2-pack so I went for it. He's since gone on to become one of my favorites of the whole line. The figure's pretty much a perfect update. Plus he's the only one awesome enough to not even need accessories
Last edited by Lich Leech; February 27, 2013 at 10:57pm.
I'm going to go...
1. Beast Man - The original body was ugly with his pinched head and his skinny arms. This makes him a proper beast.
2. Skeletor - with the Alcala head. Without it he goes down the list.
3. He-Man - Perfect re-creation. Could have gone with more color or detail on the armor piece.
4. Teela - I just got one recently. I was afraid of her head sculpt a little much like a school marm (my critcism of the Filmation design), but she looks great. People say the articulation is limited, but I was able to get a good pose out of her.
5. Man at Arms - He was upgraded with the SMAA variant, but this is a perfect rendition of the early comics.
6. Mer-Man - If the question was "what was the most objectively faithful version of the cardback", then Mermy would win. I think he's a little too silly. I display him with the Stinkor head, and I wish he had regular hands. However, the goofy head looks perfect on the TRU blue version.
7. Zodac - Pretty standard re-design of a pretty, uh, conservative figure. I think it takes a distinguished palate to appreciate Zodac. And I certainly do.
8. Stratos - Zzzz. Give him his handles to his jetpack, articulate his wings, give him SOMETHING. So boring.
Last edited by hadley; February 27, 2013 at 11:31pm.
Mer-Man, webbed hands down!
were the characters: Ram Man, Man-E-Faces, Tri-Klops & Trap-Jaw also considered original 8-back?