Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Kellan Lutz is He-Man?

  1. #1
    Loco Motu Vato ehenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    www.mhalo.com
    Posts
    9,518

    Kellan Lutz is He-Man?

    According to this article, he's been offered the role. On one hand, I say BS, but on the other, Dolph did get hired before the director.

    http://www.malaysiasun.com/index.php...as-He-Man-next
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

    If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

  2. #2
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,954
    I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Not until it starts showing up in industry trades like Variety or something. Right now, it's all pretty obscure.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    118
    Let's not forget its April fools day. Last year there were tons of articles noting that "insert stars name" was cast as He-Man.

  4. #4
    Loco Motu Vato ehenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    www.mhalo.com
    Posts
    9,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    Let's not forget its April fools day. Last year there were tons of articles noting that "insert stars name" was cast as He-Man.
    True, but this was "printed" on Saturday.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

    If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

  5. #5
    Old Man Jack Rhanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eternian Pampas
    Posts
    1,677
    I do really wish no
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

    My feedback thread

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    118
    So Malaysia can't find Flight MH370 but they know who has been offered the role of He-Man. Not buying it. Not until I hear it from a creditable source.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    According to this article, he's been offered the role. On one hand, I say BS, but on the other, Dolph did get hired before the director.

    http://www.malaysiasun.com/index.php...as-He-Man-next
    If this is true, then this movie will be the tombstone for He-Man's franchise. Lutz is not only one of the worst actors around (his Hercules was dreadful), but also doesn't look like the main character. There is only one actor that he would be perfect for the role of Adam/He-Man:

    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm28074872...ef_=ttmd_md_pv

    I really hope that he could change his mind and accept the role.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    St Albert
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    If this is true, then this movie will be the tombstone for He-Man's franchise. Lutz is not only one of the worst actors around (his Hercules was dreadful), but also doesn't look like the main character. There is only one actor that he would be perfect for the role of Adam/He-Man:

    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm28074872...ef_=ttmd_md_pv

    I really hope that he could change his mind and accept the role.
    I think Kellan Lutz would be a great choice.
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    I think Kellan Lutz would be a great choice.
    The guy simply can't act. His Hercules was horrible. I believe he would be even worse than Dolph's He-Man. In these movies having an actor that fit the role is important. Take for example Schwarzenegger's Conan in comparison with Mamoa's Conan. The first launched a whole era of Sword and Sorcery's movies the later was pretty forgettable. Anyway i don't have much of expectations for the new MOTU movie but if Lutz will be He-Man i will not bother to even watch the movie.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab. Ca.
    Posts
    1,026
    ..uh, ya, thats a bad choice for He-Man.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    St Albert
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    ..uh, ya, thats a bad choice for He-Man.
    He's good looking, in amazing shape, and has an extensive filmography of action flicks. He gets consistant work and has a huge young fan base. So he can't be that bad. Who would you suggest?
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab. Ca.
    Posts
    1,026
    The real problem is female casting directors.

    ..and the belief that being good looking makes you important.
    (Being healthy and beautiful is the right and focus of everyone and should be law enforced.)
    Last edited by Eternian-King Paul; April 2, 2014 at 09:52pm.

  13. #13
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Ehhh, maybe. He needs to put on about 100 pounds more of muscle, though. I don't want a light-weight He-Man.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    The real problem is female casting directors.

    ..and the belief that being good looking makes you important.
    (Being healthy and beautiful is right and focus of everyone and should be law enforced.)
    This is true. Being good looking doesn't make someone good actor. Dolph Lundgren was looking like He-Man but his performance was poor. At least hope this time Sony will bring an actor that can act. Doesn't matter if he is known to the pubblic or not. The important thing is that he is fitting into the role and being a decent actor. Lutz unfortunately is lacking both these standards. I recommend to watch his performance as Hercules. It's dreadful and Lutz is looking like a parody, especially in comparison with Thracian Wars Hercules Dwayne Johnson

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior vazqjose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    puerto rico
    Posts
    624
    I saw hercules and i thought he could play he-man, but other than him being kinda short for such a role...he doesnt convince me as a good actor

  16. #16
    Evil Customizer smanomega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beneath the ruins of the three towers
    Posts
    2,161
    He certainly can pass for He-man, I'll be the first to admit I haven't seen him do anything memorable but the types of movies he has done or been known for are NOT my thing the twilight movies SUCKED ( I'm not being funny, just getting to the point) I think he was in a horror movie I saw, again bleh- Maybe he'll need a Director to get him to the role maybe he just needs a chance to have a role that doesn't bite ( again not being funny ) What he does have, is a fan base which is something this movie will need because us guys in our 30-40's are NOT the target audience. I've read the posts about looks and whole heartedly agree BUT this movie is going to need sexy people in the main roles regardless. I don't want to see old hags running around half dressed for 2 hrs. I certainly don't think the script I going to land oscar quality talent and have Merryl Streep as the dying sorceress of grayskull. Hell I'd be surprized if we get people like Megan Fox as Evil-lyn. As far as his physical size anybody worth their salt can make the main character look like he's six foot six and full of muscles.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,848
    After the spectacular failure that was his Hercules film, there is no way a studio would give him the starring role in one of their wanna-be-franchise blockbusters. Not happening. The Rock's Hercules film looks superior in every way. I never thought I'd be saying that about a film that Bret Ratner directed.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    He certainly can pass for He-man, I'll be the first to admit I haven't seen him do anything memorable but the types of movies he has done or been known for are NOT my thing the twilight movies SUCKED ( I'm not being funny, just getting to the point) I think he was in a horror movie I saw, again bleh- Maybe he'll need a Director to get him to the role maybe he just needs a chance to have a role that doesn't bite ( again not being funny ) What he does have, is a fan base which is something this movie will need because us guys in our 30-40's are NOT the target audience. I've read the posts about looks and whole heartedly agree BUT this movie is going to need sexy people in the main roles regardless. I don't want to see old hags running around half dressed for 2 hrs. I certainly don't think the script I going to land oscar quality talent and have Merryl Streep as the dying sorceress of grayskull. Hell I'd be surprized if we get people like Megan Fox as Evil-lyn. As far as his physical size anybody worth their salt can make the main character look like he's six foot six and full of muscles.
    No one said that the actor that he will play He-Man have to be an Oscar winner and doesn't matter if he is not a well known actor. The important thing is that he looks like He-Man and having decent acting abilities. And Lutz doesn't have either. I will bring again as example Chris Hemsworth. He wasn't a well known actor before Thor. But he was perfect for the role and and also proved himself a decent actor as well. Attempting to sexualize He-Man and MOTU for satisfy the adoloscent's sexual fantasies it's not a good move for the MOTU movie especially when this movie will have the huge task to revive a practically dead franchise. It will be better if they choose the epic fantasy direction like the Hercules Thracian Wars trailer seems to do. Actually when i saw the scenes from this trailer, they appeared to me like the first He-Man mini comics had come back to life (almost waiting to see the Goddess make an entrance)

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    St Albert
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    (Being healthy and beautiful is the right and focus of everyone and should be law enforced.)
    What THE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Mick.Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Newark, Ohio
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    What THE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?
    I agree the guy is crazy and the thought process appears to be crazier.

  21. #21
    Widget
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    The guy simply can't act. His Hercules was horrible. I believe he would be even worse than Dolph's He-Man. In these movies having an actor that fit the role is important. Take for example Schwarzenegger's Conan in comparison with Mamoa's Conan. The first launched a whole era of Sword and Sorcery's movies the later was pretty forgettable. Anyway i don't have much of expectations for the new MOTU movie but if Lutz will be He-Man i will not bother to even watch the movie.
    Interesting you should choose that example, for numerous reasons. First off, let's be honest here, Schwarzenegger is not exactly the greatest actor in the world. The two roles he's most noted for are Conan, in which he had very little dialog (the first one anyway, more on that later) and the role was based on scowling and looking dangerous, and the Terminator, an emotionless killing machine (again, the first one). Secondly, Conan the Barbarian (1982), while a great film (one of my personal favorites) strayed a great deal from the source material. Schwarzenegger's Conan is nothing like Robert E. Howard's descriptions of him, in neither character nor appearance. Mamoa's was actually much closer. However you may feel about Conan the Barbarian (2011) you have to admit it's far superior to Conan the Destoyer (1984) and Red Sonja (1985) (Too bad Rodrigez's version has died in devopment hell), both headlined by Schwarzenegger as well. Point is, a well made movie can 'make do' with a less than stellar actor. Great casting cannot save a poorly made film. As to whether or not the new MOTU movie will be well made... That's another story.

  22. #22
    Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    The guy simply can't act. His Hercules was horrible. I believe he would be even worse than Dolph's He-Man. In these movies having an actor that fit the role is important. Take for example Schwarzenegger's Conan in comparison with Mamoa's Conan. The first launched a whole era of Sword and Sorcery's movies the later was pretty forgettable. Anyway i don't have much of expectations for the new MOTU movie but if Lutz will be He-Man i will not bother to even watch the movie.
    I liked Momoa's Conan.
    Does Galactus fart?

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein77 View Post
    Interesting you should choose that example, for numerous reasons. First off, let's be honest here, Schwarzenegger is not exactly the greatest actor in the world. The two roles he's most noted for are Conan, in which he had very little dialog (the first one anyway, more on that later) and the role was based on scowling and looking dangerous, and the Terminator, an emotionless killing machine (again, the first one). Secondly, Conan the Barbarian (1982), while a great film (one of my personal favorites) strayed a great deal from the source material. Schwarzenegger's Conan is nothing like Robert E. Howard's descriptions of him, in neither character nor appearance. Mamoa's was actually much closer. However you may feel about Conan the Barbarian (2011) you have to admit it's far superior to Conan the Destoyer (1984) and Red Sonja (1985) (Too bad Rodrigez's version has died in devopment hell), both headlined by Schwarzenegger as well. Point is, a well made movie can 'make do' with a less than stellar actor. Great casting cannot save a poorly made film. As to whether or not the new MOTU movie will be well made... That's another story.
    Obviously my reference was to the first Conan movie not the horrible sequel. My point was that, aside from the fact that Schwarzenegger's Conan was quite a departure from Howard's character, the movie itself was so well done (with a great villain played by James Earl Jones and one of the most memorable soundtracks ever by Basil Poledouris) and had such an impact, that for at least 4 years during the early 80's the film industry was dominated by Sword and Sorcery movies (Beastmaster, Ator, Deathstalker. And also at the same period we have many cartoons starring barbarian characters (Thundarr, Blackstar and of course He-Man). Mamoa's Conan on the other hand was mediocre and forgettable. And even if Schwarz is not Al Pacino was way more convincing to his role as barbarian than Mamoa. Of course helped that the movie was very well done but he contributed to its success. A decent acting always give something more to any movie even if mediocre. For example 87's MOTU movie was bad, but Langella's Skeletor made it more tollerable.

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Spikor1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    370
    i've never heard of the guy before so i have no expectation.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

  25. #25
    Widget
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    I liked Momoa's Conan.

    So did I. As I said before, much closer to Howard's original concept.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Obviously my reference was to the first Conan movie not the horrible sequel. My point was that, aside from the fact that Schwarzenegger's Conan was quite a departure from Howard's character, the movie itself was so well done (with a great villain played by James Earl Jones and one of the most memorable soundtracks ever by Basil Poledouris) and had such an impact, that for at least 4 years during the early 80's the film industry was dominated by Sword and Sorcery movies (Beastmaster, Ator, Deathstalker. And also at the same period we have many cartoons starring barbarian characters (Thundarr, Blackstar and of course He-Man). Mamoa's Conan on the other hand was mediocre and forgettable. And even if Schwarz is not Al Pacino was way more convincing to his role as barbarian than Mamoa. Of course helped that the movie was very well done but he contributed to its success. A decent acting always give something more to any movie even if mediocre. For example 87's MOTU movie was bad, but Langella's Skeletor made it more tollerable.
    That was pretty much my point as well. To quote my original reply, "Point is, a well made movie can 'make do' with a less than stellar actor. Great casting cannot save a poorly made film." While watching Langella chew up the scenery was fun, I wouldn't say it saved the movie. Made it more tolerable, yes, as did Billy Bartley's Gwildor, but great actors cannot save a badly made film.
    As to Conan the Barbarian (2011) being 'mediocre and forgettable,' I have to disagree. While it wasn't the tour de force the '82 film was, it was a decent sword and sorcery film. The problem is it's a product of it's time. Before Conan ('82) there really wasn't much in the sword and sorcery sub-sub-genre on the big screen (more on that later) and visually and (as you mentioned) musically Conan ('82) blew it out of the park. Afterwards there were dozens of knock-offs and follow-throughs, though I'd hardly say the industry was 'dominated' by them. Two of your three examples were cheap, Italian knock-offs most people never saw in theatres (thank you, videocasette! these movies were my childhood). Conan ('11) came on the heals of the huge fantasy resurgence begun with Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. The reason some people find it forgettable is because it's a follow-through, not a trend setter like the previous itteration. Another 'victim' of this would be John Carter, an excellent film that no one saw.
    I'd also like to point out that Conan ('82) was following a literary resurgence (much like the recent Harry Potter and Twilight). Sword and Sorcery as well as Science Fantasy were quite popular in the late 70's and early 80's. Thanks in no small part to Frazetta's (and others') artwork. One of the reasons Conan ('82) works so well is because it was made as a 'Frazetta painting come to life.' This sort of thing was everywhere, from Heavy Metal album covers to Saturday morning cartoons (like you mentioned. I would like to point out, however, that both Thundarr and Blackstar pre-date the Conan feature film). Long story short, Conan ('82) worked so well because it was already 'popular' but was one of the first to hit the big screen. Conan ('11) didn't because that sort of thing was already all over the big screen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •