Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #15 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #15 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    ONGOING COMIC SERIES

Issue #15
    "The Blood of Grayskull" part 2
    (3/6)

Based on a story by: Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine
    Script: Dan Abnett
    Art: Pop Mhan
    Cover: Ariel Olivetti

The Origin of She-Ra continues!! As Adora struggles with the sins of her past, she and her brother He-Man must trek to the mysterious island Anwant Gwar. But when a Horde Fright Zone stands in their way, He-Man calls upon the Power of Grayskull to forge a path to Adora’s destiny!

----------
    SPOILERS
    ----------
    Comes out today July 23rd.
    Get your copy at your local comic book store or digitally via comixology.

Love that Swifty features heavily in this.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I totally loved the explanation what the Fright Zone does and how it spreads. Also a nice nod to the Magna Beam Chamber in SOTS, but this time it's the people's souls which are feeding Hordak. Wow!

And Swifty of course!

It was so cool to see Swiftwind.
    Last edited by SheRa789; July 26, 2014 at 11:51pm. Reason: edit smiley
    He-Man and She-Ra, the ultimate power duo!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Abnett is telling one hell of a story....... Pages 9-12 are, single best explanation of what HM truly is, ever. After all theses years, Dan, Pop and DC NAILED it. I actually got chills when reading it. I don't know if I like the Swifty is Swifty and not Spirit thing but its Swifty none the less.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I like that we get a better glimpse of their personalities this issue.

He-Man will NOT let atrocities continue, regardless of it being a stealth mission. He had to free his people right then and there. The Grayskull lightning as a fry everyone in range ability is new...

Adora on the other hand, seemed like her brainwashing still has lingering effects. She thinks of Hordak as an invicible god of entropy.

No love for SPIRIT, eh? No figure and now no comic either? But we did get Swiftwind though.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Another good issue. I like the explanation of how the Fright Zone spreads. I've always wondered "what is that thing?" when I've seen the Fright Zone in the She-Ra cartoon. I've always thought it looks neat but didn't really understand what it was.
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)

Heroic Warrior
    Another good issue!

First i have to say that Pop Mhan's art here is one of his best. It's almost cinematographic, and gaves the impression that you watch a film, not reading a comic. The pages with the manifestation of the Power Sword's might, the Fright Zone's response, Swift Wind and Sorceress Teela's dreaming projection are breathtaking.

The characterizations are spot on. Personally i believe is the best He-Man's character moment in the whole series. This is how He-Man should be. The He-Man that doesn't bow the head and close the eyes against the terrible fate that expects his people, even if the logic is with Adora's side. The He-Man that can't hide, with all this pain and suffering around him. The He-Man that at the end is not only the hero, but also the leader of his people.

Adora is also very well characterized. She was raised by Hordak, so she knows better than anyone for what he is capable of doing. And as shown from this issue she has every reason to fear his reaction. But fighting against these odds, it's bringing her, closer and closer to finally embrace her destiny. Also i loved the pannel with Adora holding Adam's hand at the end. It shows that finally the twins are beginning to bond with each other.

Good also to see Sorceress Teela as the spiritual and actual guide of the twins during their quest.

Was very good also to see the bond between Adam, Adora and their animal companions. And DC Swiftwind was really awesome in his debut to the DC continuity. As for Spirit, i believe that also Cringer has not being mentioned by name in the DC comics so far. What we saw, was basically Battle Cat without his armor. Perhaps Swiftwind will be able to transform to his alter ego after Adora will become She-Ra.

At last, it was incredible to see that the new Sword of Power is able to unleash such kind of might but it was also terrifying the way that the Fright Zone reply to it. The question is, we are going to see this again, or Adam will consider too much power for anyone to handle it., and he will not try it again?

Overall i believe that Abnett, Mhan, but also Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine from Mattel, they are doing a really good work with this arc. I only hope that the ongoing will continue beyond issue #18, because finally the DC MOTU comic is reading as a MOTU story. Just get rid off He-Man's pants.

I agree with everyone's points. I really thought the last arc was complete garbage, but this arc so far has been absolutely awesome!
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Heroic Warrior
    For those who wants to see Swiftwind in action, here is a panel from this issue:

http://dccomicsnews.com/wp-content/u...icorn_mini.jpg

Pop Mhan did a good job here.

I have to say that i like the way they handle the animal companions of the twins so far. Battle Cat is one of the best and more consistent characters of the ongoing. He doesn't talk, but his facial expressions are very well done, when he express his emotions. I love how he behaves like a giant kitten when he is with someone that he loves and how he transforms to a fierce war machine during the battle.

This new arc is by far some of the best MOTU writing since the mini comics circa 1982! May be the single best issue of the new launch! Great art, great story... just bad ass! great job to all that were involved... This is the He-Man story I have been waiting for!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Time for some reviews folks, for DC MOTU #15:

http://dccomicsnews.com/2014/07/24/r...s-universe-15/

http://weirdsciencedccomicsblog.blog...iverse-15.html

http://livingmythmagazine.com/blog/2...cs-2014-07-23/

http://www.mcsoss.com/2014/07/gints-...st-review.html

http://www.dcplanet.fr/112159-review...vo-semaine-151

http://caffeinecrew.com/2014/07/27/7301/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lELZty9NLN8

Dan Abnett's MOTU continues having good reviews so far.
    Here are also some pages from the last issue:

http://dccomicsnews.com/wp-content/u...5-011_mini.jpg

http://dccomicsnews.com/wp-content/u...icorn_mini.jpg

Also my favorite line from this issue was, when He-Man called the Power of Grayskull upon the Horde:
    "He calls the Power down like lighting, to rain judgment upon the Horde"
    Last edited by granamyr80; July 29, 2014 at 09:06pm.

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    Abnett is telling one hell of a story....... Pages 9-12 are, single best explanation of what HM truly is, ever. After all theses years, Dan, Pop and DC NAILED it. I actually got chills when reading it.
    YES! YES! YES! Same here! I couldn't believe it, but I actually started to warm up to that costume during that sequence! Absolutely LOVED the issue--just summed him up PERFECTLY!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I've enjoyed the whole DC-run, but this story arc is by far my favorite story so far. If this level of awesomeness keeps going on, this'll end up amongst my favorite comic stories ever told.

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    Abnett is telling one hell of a story....... Pages 9-12 are, single best explanation of what HM truly is, ever. After all theses years, Dan, Pop and DC NAILED it. I actually got chills when reading it. I don't know if I like the Swifty is Swifty and not Spirit thing but its Swifty none the less.
    I rarely read the same comic several times in one sit, but this one I did. And those pages above I read aloud and paused to think about the words and gazed long and hard at the pictures. So much going on in there. I just love how Battle-Cat gets all fueled up when He-man says that it's time to gut some horde troopers. And the joy on his face after the battle is over. Wonderfully portrayed. And Adora and He-man holding hands at the end of it all. Must've caught something in my eye (yeah, tears. Tears, I tell you!).
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

I enjoyed this issue a lot. It was cool seeing He-Man rescueing the slaves and the appearance of Swiftwind.

This series is coming along quite well. I'm so glad we have new MOTU stories!

It seemed like it was taking forever, but we finally got to see what He-Man can do. I seem to recall quite a bit of complaint beginning to brew that He-Man in these comics was only vaguely defined power-wise. His attack on the Fright Zone was refreshing to see.

Heroic Warrior
    He-Man is unleashisng the Power of Grayskull:

http://i.imgur.com/WEkCcoW.jpg

And the Fright Zone fights back:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/He-Man-15-17-470156892

I like He-Man's look better now than when these new comics first came out, but I still could do without the pants. I can understand putting just Swiftwind in this comic and not Spirit.

Court Magician
    I just found and started reading these comic's a week ago!!
    I was able to buy all 15 + the entire DC vs Motu with both alternating covers 1a, 1b; + the 6 issue arc of Skeletor erasing everyone's memory + the Origins collection in Physical book form, 35 physical collections of comics with shipping for 109 dollars total.
    I read all 35 issues in a marathon.

The first 6 with Hordak/Despara/Adora; Teela becoming the new sorceress and 13-15+ ... are definite I need to know where this is going issues.

Was ADORA, the GOR female "SARYN" who appears to kill King grayskull in issue 13? in a previous Life? It seems like that if you compare issues 13-14.

However, This issue 15 was HANDS down FANTASTIC! LOVE SWIFTWIND showing up.

I always wondered why Hordak always wanted SLAVES but for the most part you saw him surrounded by robots.
    He was always complaining that he needed more slaves, but you never saw slaves doing any work, around the Freight Zone.
    In the Freight zone they were just in cells or cages.
    I Never knew he devoured the souls of slaves and absorbed them into himself.
    Slaves being his food supply is horrific. I got chills.
    Last edited by DolphinSong2; August 9, 2014 at 11:14am.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    This issue is the first where I see He-Man acting like a true warrior king. News of his rescue of people of all races from Althra combined with the power he showed against the Horde Fright Zone will quickly spread far and wide. It will cement his position as the leader of the Eternian people and galvanise resistance but most of all it will give hope to all those living in fear of the Horde. He’s basically graduated from being just another warrior hero to being a caring strategically-minded heroic leader who will decide the fate of his people and Eternia. This latest comic is exciting, epic and intense. If only it could be longer......
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Heroic Warrior
    I believe that making He-Man King, is the best thing that happened to him as a character in the whole ongoing. Not only because he is young and inexperienced, instead of the retired old man of the Classic Canon, but foremost because he became King under tragic and unexpected events, and during Eternia's darkest hour. All this, is adding more layers in his personality, and of course the struggle between the King and the hero is going to be very intriguing to see how is going to evolve from now on.

Oh and Pop Mhan's Sorceress Teela is hypnotizingly beatiful

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t8FAlwQ6Zv...29+015-019.jpg

Any word on when #16 will be out? #15 was out this time last month.
    He-Man and She-Ra, the ultimate power duo!

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa789 View Post
    Any word on when #16 will be out? #15 was out this time last month.
    Wednesday Aug 27th

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    This was the first time I believed I was reading a story about He-Man...

However, that was rusty oil right? The Horde troopers are mechanical? Or are are we back to questioning that again?
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    This was the first time I believed I was reading a story about He-Man...

However, that was rusty oil right? The Horde troopers are mechanical? Or are are we back to questioning that again?
    I believe that they said that in DC canon, they are part machines, part zombies. In any case thay are not alive, but they have some organic tissue on them.