Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    That's not always the solution. For instance, my post office folds all my magazines in half. Even expensive $15 ones from Australia. And it happens during the sorting at the actual post office, not at the mailbox. I did call them about the folding, though, and it got better. I was nice about it, so they were nice about it.
    Fortunately I have had no issues with folding, the mailbox where I live is wide and long, not big enough for parcels, but there are bigger mailboxes for those, and if it's still too big, like when I ordered Marlena, Buzz Off & Catra from the last BF/CM sale, they drop it at my front porch. The only thing they fold are the circulars that come.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    TOP 300 COMICS – April 2013 :

# 85 - 25,254 copies (printed version)

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25659.html
    That's a pretty good start. Let's hope those sales keep up!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    He-Man is more popular than sex!

RANK INDEX TITLE PRICE PUBLISHER ESTIMATED QUANTITY

85 19.11 HE MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #1 $2.99 DC 25,254
    101 16.15 SEX #2 (MR) $2.99 IMA 21,342
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

We have community mailboxes in my neighbourhood...mine is around the corner and a block down the street from my house...small square compartment just wide enough for a regular piece of mail...when the MOTUC figure comes...there are 2 shared larger squares they put them in and you find a key in your mailbox to get the figure out of the shared square. I recently had a Hot Toys 1/6 scale figure 'Black Widow' get stuck in the 1st shared box...it just fit with the front open, that the slot would not open wide enough with the key. I had to leave a note in the box to move her to the biggest spot.

Attachment 84562

I see lots of US deliveries...have many people in Canada received their sub comic?
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    That's a pretty good start. Let's hope those sales keep up!
    25,000 is NOT good. DC cancels books around 20,000.

Hey international collectors. Did any of you already get your subscription issues? I am still waiting for my #1 to arrive and I am growing a mixture of impatient and worried.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Still waiting for mine. Wish I hadn't bothered with this sub, my local comic store has this issue in stock already!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Oh okay. I was comparing it to the miniseries, which I thought was selling less than 20, 000 copies each issue. I could be wrong though. I figured their licensed comics would typically sell less copies than their mainstream ones.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm afraid that you are right; this is NOT a good start for a (supposedly) iconic and instantly recognizable brand such as MotU with a built-in fanbase and a large curiosity factor on account of it being so well-known.
    It is at best borderline from a sales point of view - hence the furious efforts at marketing and constant re-kitting of He-Man every three issues. I have a bad feeling that the sales will decline from here on in - because this DC reboot is appealing neither to the diehard fans nor winning-over new adherents.

I mean, just look at the reviews around the web - not just from committed Eternia-heads but also in general; a mixture of acute hostility, tepid acceptance and indifference. There is not a lot of positive reception out there.

These are about typical: http://www.neftyshouseofrants.blogsp...mics-rant.html and http://www.neftyshouseofrants.blogsp...part-deux.html

Witty - and accurate - but - ouch! Or what about: http://inveteratemediajunkies.com/20...ook-reviews-8/ And there are plenty more in like vein - and not a lot very positive to set against them.

Personally, I don't like this DC take on MotU for all kinds of reasons - but my chief concern is that, by choosing the wrong writer and going along with a deeply flawed conceptualization which makes the supposed heroes so unlikeable and the architecture the best thing about it, they are doing long-term harm to the MotU brand. If these comics fail - and early indications are that they probably will - then it could be another ten years before anyone will touch it and we see comics published again.

And that both frustrates and saddens me; with more attention to understanding the Eternian mythos and less effort to make He-man conform to the rigid DC-standard-superhero straitjacket, then this could have been a success. In the hands of a writer of Val Staples' quality it almost certainly would have been. But Giffen has consistently proved that he doesn't know or care enough about Eternia to produce work that can both appeal broadly to the existing fans and draw in new ones.

A real pity - but in line with much else that DC appears to be undergoing recently. Frankly, I don't much care about the internal and commercial traumas at DC; but I do care about He-Man - and I don't like to envisage the results of this kind of wilful iconoclastic vandalism.
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 8, 2013 at 08:15am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Audric View Post
    I don't really see those reviews as typical.
    Well, yes - there are certainly some reviewers who are less hostile, of course. But the ones broadly in favour are generally lukewarm in defence; the hostile are positively venomous in their attacks.
    And it makes me wonder why. Surely this series ought to be romping home to success, with fanfares of acclaim from fans glad to see He-Man back in comics - and floods of new converts coming in. This is, after all, a VERY well-known - and well-loved - iconic brand, with a huge recognition factor; both essential precursers to commercial success.

But that isn't happening. Lots of disillusioned fans; scant evidence of new converts - and pretty dismal sales, cosidering how it's been hyped-up - and that it is, after all - He-Man, for Heaven's sake!

The fact that this debate - on this site - is taking place at all is NOT a good sign. We should surely all be joined in leading the cheering. But we aren't, are we?
    I fear that this DC disaster is doing real harm - and that we will wait a long, long time before we see any new comics once this series peters out.
    Last edited by Scriptor; May 8, 2013 at 10:42am.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Well, yes - there are certainly some reviewers who are less hostile, of course. But the ones broadly in favour are generally lukewarm in defence; the hostile are positively venomous in their attacks.
    And it makes me wonder why.
    The first blog you linked to is called Nefty's House of Rants....and you wonder why? From the first sentence in it is made very clear how the "review" is going to turn out. Hardly an unbiased review. The links I posted are actually people going in with an open mind without (mostly) any ties to the brand. You may consider their reviews "lukewarm" but in 2 of the reviews it is made clear that they are more interested in the comic now that they've read the first issue, than they were before with just the memories of the old cartoon - that they weren't too fond of. So I don't see how this is failing in getting people to read the comic.
    Also, on the internet, people who are positively venomous in their attacks will very rarely change their tune no matter what is done. Most of the time they seem to have made up their minds on how things should be and will not be satisfied until their exact wishes are met.

Surely this series ought to be romping home to success, with fanfares of acclaim from fans glad to see He-Man back in comics - and floods of new converts coming in. This is, after all, a VERY well-known - and well-loved - brand, with a huge recognition factor; both essential precursers to commercial success.
    If this were true, then why have Transformers, TMNT, Spider-Man, Batman, heck even the Care Bears basically never left the minds of kids today while He-Man faded away? And there are actually more than a few fans who enjoy this new approach. Some even posted about it on this forum.

But that isn't happening. Lots of disillusioned fans; scant evidence of new converts - and pretty dismal sales, considering how it's been hyped-up - and that it is, after all - He-Man, for Heaven's sake!
    Which means nothing to kids today. He-Man who? As a longtime fan I'd be very happy to see MOTU back in the spotlight, but it is never going to be what it was in the 80's. Nothing wrong with wanting it to be though. But how exactly was this comic hyped up? This is a He-Man forum, of course people here are going to be hyped about any new media. But beyond this forum? Where and how was it hyped up?

The fact that this debate - on this site - is taking place at all is NOT a good sign. We should surely all be joined in leading the cheering. But we aren't, are we?
    The fact that this debate is taking place here is quite logical, this is a He-Man forum after all. And I fail to remember 1 single moment in the last 12 years when fans where not debating and completely happy with what was done with the brand from the moment the first images for the 200x He-Man were released. Quite the opposite actually.
    I fear that this DC disaster is doing real harm - and that we will wait a long, long time before we see any new comics once this series peters out.
    I highly doubt that. Not a single incarnation of the comics done for MOTU has ever lasted very long. Not the originals in the 80's (though the UK ones lasted a little longer), not the 200x, none. So if the new DC series doesn't manage to keep going, it would be no more damaging to the brand than the ones that came before it. Also, these are numbers for printed media, they exclude the digital versions. And with declining sales for printed comics all over, I don't think coming in at number #85 of the best sold comics is a bad result.
    Last edited by Audric; May 8, 2013 at 01:05pm.

25.000 is a good number for a non traditional comic brand and don't forget that not including the digital version sell ,motu reached #3 on the 2.99 category.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think the cancellation worries only applies to the main New 52 titles. Which MOTU isn't apart of.

MOTU is beating every other toyline comic out there except My Little Pony. Transformers, TMNT and G.I. Joe are left in the dust. Hell, He-Man is beating CONAN.

MOTU is in the top 100--very good for a toy-oriented title. We'll see if it can keep up. It might be doing so well because it's a first issue.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    The next month or two will be a better judge. Stores tend to order higher for first issues. How did the last issue of the mini sell?

I know if it was a mainstram title, starting at #85 would be a bad sign.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

anyway the average sales of printed comics is really low, just 4 or 5 titles exceed 100,000 copies per month.

I wonder if digital comics are the main form of marketing today, remember Comixology recently celebrated 100 million downloads.

motu #1 also has sold more than some titles of star wars and star trek.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    The next month or two will be a better judge. Stores tend to order higher for first issues. How did the last issue of the mini sell?

I know if it was a mainstram title, starting at #85 would be a bad sign.
    According to Comic Book Resources, issue #6 of the mini sold 16, 439 copies, while The Origin of He-Man comic, which was sold on the same day, sold 17, 864 copies.

I honestly didn't see too much in the first issue I thought was a big travesty. Teela's characterisation was a bit heavy handed, but it's possible that she's just struggling to grieve for a mother she never really knew but doesn't want to admit it (even to herself). The bit where she strips I don't think is worth quite as much fuss and venom as I've seen some people around the net direct at it. It's weird and poorly explained in the comic, but it really doesn't seem particularly sexualised. It's just a bit weird. Overall, I think the issue got more right than it did wrong and to me that's a bit improvement over the bore-fest that was the previous six issue comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

I just read it and I really enjoyed it.
    Well, except for the weird Teela strippin in front of her father thing Daddy issues...

I liked that we finally get to see a story moving forward when it comes to MOTU. The sorceress(one of my fav characters) is dead, and while that does suck cause I totally wanted to see her kick some butt, I accept it and maybe now Teela can fill that roll. I'm sure we will see ghost Sorceress if she is really dead.

Duncan looked like Magnum PI I'm like dude, seriously?

Overall, I'm excited for issue two and frankly I hate Adora, but I'm ready to go on this ride. I hope the comic does well because it finally appears that after all these years we get a true second act.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Warrior
    Teela stripping seems to be about par for the way she's now portrayed. Bizarrely.

But didn't you find it - strange - that, with the Sorceress having laid down her life for them, Adam, Teela and MAA see fit to banter their way merrily through her memorial service? That Teela appears to advocate genocide for mages - and is in any case a disturbed (and disturbing) character who lusts to kill? That He-Man now wantonly slays not only powerless tribesmen enslaved by Evil-Lyn, but also - apparently - women? And these are meant to be the good guys!

The charaterization Giffen provides renders these well-known and beloved charaters not only unrecognizable - but also unlikeable. An impressive feat.

Despera/Adora is the only character that rings true here; she at least has an excuse for her actions - and already shows depth and complexity - unlike the shallow and dislikeable "heroes" so-called.

I don't like this trend at all; it is pointless and owes more to DC than to MotU. But I do agree that it's an improvement (at least in terms of plot) on the last six-issue series, which was risibly poor and had more holes in its narrative structure than a beggar's breeches.

I think you're taking what characters say at too much face value. I didn't get the impression that Teela was sincere in advocating genocide for mages, but was just using hyperbole. I seriously doubt they're portraying her as a psychopath. Also I don't think MAA's behaviour was that odd either. People grieve in different ways, it doesn't always have to be everyone sobbing constantly. MAA's telling anecdotes about about what he liked about the Sorceress doesn't seem out of character to me.
    I hate you. So much.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I think you're taking what characters say at too much face value. I didn't get the impression that Teela was sincere in advocating genocide for mages, but was just using hyperbole. I seriously doubt they're portraying her as a psychopath. Also I don't think MAA's behaviour was that odd either. People grieve in different ways, it doesn't always have to be everyone sobbing constantly. MAA's telling anecdotes about about what he liked about the Sorceress doesn't seem out of character to me.
    Quite possibly - for some people; but that kind of behaviour would be generally judged as inappropriate under those solemn circumstances - especially once the event had begun; but that didn't stop our young funsters, did it?
    It cheapens the loss - and does nothing to engage our sympathies, since these characters are not innately likeable. But, then, as a serviceman, I have attended too damn' many of these events to take them so very lightly.

And what about our former hero who now kills near-helpless humans and - so it is inferred - women? This is meant to be He-Man - who has ever stood above that kind of thing. I HAVE to take that at face value - and hence revolt against it.

I canned my sub today. My LCS will give me the same price without waiting 3 weeks and having it bent to hell.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Quite possibly - for some people; but that kind of behaviour would be generally judged as inappropriate under those solemn circumstances - especially once the event had begun; but that didn't stop our young funsters, did it?
    It cheapens the loss - and does nothing to engage our sympathies, since these characters are not innately likeable. But, then, as a serviceman, I have attended too damn' many of these events to take them so very lightly.

And what about our former hero who now kills near-helpless humans and - so it is inferred - women? This is meant to be He-Man - who has ever stood above that kind of thing. I HAVE to take that at face value - and hence revolt against it.

Personally I think you seem to be reading too much into things and taking it too seriously. It isn't real. You act as though MAA got up in front of people and treated it like a roast for the Sorceress. Apart from a solemn speech by King Randor we only saw interpersonal exchanges between Adam, Teela and MAA where he confided some of his more fonder memories of her. We had one actual page where they were at the ceremony and talking, but that was just Adam and Teela bickering and MAA telling them to be quiet (they are young and immature and neither really knew the Sorceress personally).

The stuff previous to that was in private and would hardly be inconsistent with their characters and how some people choose to grieve. Now while Teela's response to Adam's jokes during the service arguably crosses a line it still seems like an appropriate charecterisation of her. I doubt many will deny that she's often been portrayed as having a fiery temper.

When did He-man kill anyone who was helpless or nearly helpless? In this iteration He-man and the Masters seem willing to kill enemies and even though Teela seems especially bloodthirsty (though overplayed it could arguably be due to her inability to process her feelings), that's arguably not out of character given previous takes on her character. I don't personally see the problem with He-man killing enemies if it's in battle and necessary. Even when it comes to women. I just don't understand why that's bizarrely a line that shouldn't be crossed for some. It seems like a sexist concept.
    Last edited by Masamune; May 9, 2013 at 02:58pm.
    I hate you. So much.

Heroic Warrior
    Then I fear that we are not destined to agree on this - which is, of course, fine.

But I would say this - and please do take it in the spirit in which it is genuinely meant: creating a killer He-Man is a very big step indeed; he has not done so before because, being endowed with the Power he has never needed (or wanted) to. He has invariably been depicted as too strong, skilled and wise to need to resort to killing - even those who are his match or near-match - such as Skeletor. The Power was not given to him to make of him a killer of those weaker than himself - ordinary mortal humans.
    But in the last series he did just that; he butchered Evil-Lyn's footsoldiers and stained the Sword with human blood. And why was that seen by the writers as necessary? What, frankly, could they have done to him? Compared to him (and that's the crux) they were well-nigh helpless - so this act was not at all necessary and thus a negation of the Power - which weakens and cheapens its mystery and majesty. And, ironically - he is now (supposedly) the Power itself... It's a failure of understanding and imagination on the part of the writers to create such a situation at all.

And, yes; I am entirely aware, thanks, of the fact that Eternia isn't real; that is why I feel so strongly that it should not be made to conform to the norms of our own world and times; it's not at all the same - and the fact that it contains a genuinely noble, elevated and untainted hero is - to some of us - important, perhaps as an antidote the the grimness of modern reality as we live (and die) it.

As for killing women - I really doubt that it's sexism; more to do with decency - even in our often-dismal environment. Real NATO servicemen in our own all-too-real world balk at killing women - even in combat. This is the truth; experto crede. And none of us are heroes equipped with praeternatural powers - just mortals doing an often unpleasant task that needs to be done - and doing it as best we can. We do have to kill sometimes - but I can tell you for sure that VERY few of us revel in it; that is for the 'bloodmonkeys' who wallow in gore at a safe, safe distance and get vicarious kicks out of killing - as long as they aren't actually involved. These people are not well-thought of by my men - and there are a LOT of worse epithets than that one to describe them.
    As Cromwell reportedly said of the execution of Charles I, "cruel necessity" dictates actions that, sometimes, we cannot be altogether proud of - and these are the harsh dictates of reality.

But, as you rightly said; Eternia isn't real - and, for that, I for one am deeply grateful. That, however, doesn't mean that it should be treated dismissively or with contempt - because, to a lot of us - it matters. And maybe to me more than most - probably on account of my experience of the realities of war, mingled with my latter career as a writer.

I hope that my honesty has not offended; it was not my intention. But all of us are, I believe, raw on some spot - and, in this particular context, this is mine. If having need of a hero who is above these brutally real dictates renders me weak, contemptible and childish - then I am all of those things by my own admission.

But my men, regular and reservist alike, apparently don't think so - and, to me, that is what counts most.