Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man/MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

When I checked the mail today I was happy to see that my Issue #3 arrived so fast (as they have been running 2-3 weeks behind). However, after taking it out of the packaging I realized that my comic was ripped about 2 inches all the way through from cover to cover.

This makes 3 damaged comics in a row. I am not a collector of comics, but having them folded in half and ripped is too much, so I called up and cancelled. The lady I talked to was very nice and said they have been getting lots of complaints, so I guess I am not the only one.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

I emailed to cancel my subscription today. I am not a fan of them arriving in the mail, or not at all, weeks after the release date. I got the incentive comic cover, which was nice, but when the JL Vs MOTU series starts up, I'm going to have to go to a comic book store to get them anyways, so I may as well just get this series in-store (and support a local business) as well.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Everything that goes through the postal service gets run through various machines before they get to your mailbox. The only way a MOTU comic would come to a person's house completely undamaged is if DC mailed them in bubble wrap and priority mail shipping boxes.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adult...94486950703800

Picked up a copy of Masters of the Universe #3.
    * The bickering and insults kill any interest I had in this story.
    * Stratos is now talking like Yoda from Star Wars.
    * Shadow Weaver is speaking in third person.
    * There is only one image of Horde Troopers on the inside pages. * On pages 13-17 Teela's and Adora's heads look mannish.
    * The first four pages are wasted entirely.
    * Superman appears on 9 pages!
    * There are zero ads for Masters of the Universe products.
    * The new Stratos look has me worried that Mattel will want us to buy an entirely new figure even though his only design change is the helmet. If we do get DC version figures I'm hoping we're only given a head accessory for him.
    * Cringer is drawn very well towards the end of the book.
    * He-Man's design is drawn pretty well on some pages. Warming up to it. I like the fact it has a sword sheath on the back.
    * The Teela hating on Meka thing is already super old and needs to be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    At least it isn't STAR Comics where we see the word "dude".
    Which issue is that? How awful. I didn't know that. I've only read them in Dutch and kept the English ones purely for collecting purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    In all fairness, we're only 3 issues in to the monthly series...give it time
    True, but he also wrote 5 out of 6 issues of the first mini-series and the Hordak origin. That's 9 in total and he has been consistently disappointing. Although comparing his first issue to his last, I can't deny a slight improvement.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Which issue is that? How awful. I didn't know that. I've only read them in Dutch and kept the English ones purely for collecting purposes.
    IIRC, that was Orko. He was in almost every issue for the first nine issues, as the kid focused character.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Got my issue #3 today from DC Comics subs. So just a week time to arrive to Finland.

Got my issue #3 today. I was a bit surprised it arrived this early, I didn't expect it to arrive until Thursday, like last two issues have arrived (Thursday next week after the release date).

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

I received issue #3 last week and I think this series is sinking quickly. I thought the first two issues were somewhat entertaining, but this one just seems like the writers aren't putting much into this gig. I don't know why I subscribed for 12 issues, but I guess I'm along for the ride now. Maybe it will get better.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I received issue #3 last week and I think this series is sinking quickly. I thought the first two issues were somewhat entertaining, but this one just seems like the writers aren't putting much into this gig. I don't know why I subscribed for 12 issues, but I guess I'm along for the ride now. Maybe it will get better.
    I'd love to think so, too - but I'm not all that optimistic. As Crusader says, Giffen has been at it over a year now with MotU - and this is the first issue that shows ANY real sign of basic competence as a writer. There IS an improvement detectable; he is now busily rowing-back on some of his earlier errors (murdering the Sorceress, making He-Man - allegedly - The Power in person (!) and gratuitous killing) but there is still a long, long way to go.

Even the ongoing plot is derivative and almost entirely predictable.

Giffen's bizarre obsession with this misbegotten 'Teela' creation of his really needs to stop. Her mischaracterization is completely over the top and irritating - and he has made her the focus of the entire series, which is proving a very grave error. The childish and half-witted dialogue between her and He-Man kills any dramatic tension or atmosphere stone dead; WHY does the writer persist in thinking that it's either appropriate to the context or funny? It isn't. It's distracting, immature and dull in the extreme. It's impossible to take seriously a supposed He-Man who comes out with sub-prime surfer-dude speak like "my bad". This is meant to be an epic confrontation between Good and Evil - not teen sit-com for the hard of thinking.

And where is the editor in all this? MIA, by the look of it. There are curious example of editorial failings on a pretty large scale running throughout the series, from vanishing arrows in legs to visible drawing sight-lines unerased in the artwork.

Additionally, the sheer inconsistency of the artwork itself is a major drawback, too; the inserts by (I think) Guerrero) are far more in keeping with the subject matter and maintain a higher standard than what we have been getting. How can a major character fail to look alike in any two panels in the same issue drawn by the same artist? A much better grasp of anatomical proportion would help, too!

But at least neither artist nor writer is responsible for the upcoming disaster of an alleged He-Man who looks nothing at all like He-Man and is simply a cheapo knock-off of Iron Man by some cosplayer. How fascinating that, having seen the tsunami of rejection across the board coming sweeping in, both DC and Mattel are busy ascribing all the 'credit' for the new costume to one another!
    I wonder how long this latest 'look' will last? As long as Yellow Cross He-Man - who was, for all the idiocy of unpadded chain-mail worn between the legs (try it sometime...) at least in keeping with the iconic look.

Yes; there is some slight improvement in the #3 issue - but whether it's enough, or can be sufficiently sustained to save this series from oblivion remains to be seen. I look back over the MVC publications and think: if only....
    Last edited by Scriptor; July 3, 2013 at 09:19am.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    FINALLY got an issue delivered from this sub - #3 all creased up

Still waiting for 1 & 2
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    do robots scream in pain when injured - or did no-one realize that he isn't actually human?
    There's plenty of things to complain about in these comics, but this isn't one of them. I can think of many examples of fictional robots that exhibit very human behaviour, including pain. C-3PO & R2-D2 from Star Wars, Johnny Five from Short Circuit, all of the Transformers, T-Bob from M.A.S.K. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Who knows if it will EVER get better with the same person or people behind the scenes telling DC what to put in the MOTU Comics, and I don't mean Giffen.

I think this is more about Mattel's current idea about what they think MOTU should be rather than DC going nuts with the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Everything that goes through the postal service gets run through various machines before they get to your mailbox. The only way a MOTU comic would come to a person's house completely undamaged is if DC mailed them in bubble wrap and priority mail shipping boxes.
    That's not exactly true. When I have bought comics from ebay sellers in the past they always come bagged and boarded (and have always come in mint condition). The problem is not the Postal Service per se. The problem is that DC Comics ships them out without the board backing.

I am not a collector of comics. I buy them to read. However, with that said, I also don't want my comic to arrive ripped in half.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

Heroic Warrior
    Who knows if it will EVER get better with the same person or people behind the scenes telling DC what to put in the MOTU Comics, and I don't mean Giffen.

I think this is more about Mattel's current idea about what they think MOTU should be rather than DC going nuts with the property.
    You may very well be right; I know that others - and not just here - share your view as to where ultimate responsibility lies. I just wish so much that these comics were better than they are - no matter whose fault it is!

All the same, there IS some evidence of rowing back from some of the more glaring and abrasive early intrusions; perhaps he/they are listening and learning and coming to see that this new vision of MotU (whencesoever derived) is not finding much favour anywhere and needs to return more to its roots and solid base.

If so - then good; I'm all for it! It really wouldn't take all that much editorial control to bring the comics back onto terra firma.

But; above all - PLEASE let him/them rein-in Giffen's efforts at witty banter; they are toe-curlingly embarrassing - and just spoil any chance of building a mood suitable for the context.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    There's plenty of things to complain about in these comics, but this isn't one of them. I can think of many examples of fictional robots that exhibit very human behaviour, including pain. C-3PO & R2-D2 from Star Wars, Johnny Five from Short Circuit, all of the Transformers, T-Bob from M.A.S.K. etc.
    Yes, I suppose so; it just seemed rather odd to me. I'll amend the comment. It's not hard to do; not with so many other examples of editorial failings on show!

Received issue #3 yesterday. I think it is still a waste of time and money. MOTU deserves much better!

Did this one perfomed well in sales?
    Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post

But at least neither artist nor writer is responsible for the upcoming disaster of an alleged He-Man who looks nothing at all like He-Man and is simply a cheapo knock-off of Iron Man by some cosplayer. How fascinating that, having seen the tsunami of rejection across the board coming sweeping in, both DC and Mattel are busy ascribing all the 'credit' for the new costume to one another!
    I wonder how long this latest 'look' will last? As long as Yellow Cross He-Man - who was, for all the idiocy of unpadded chain-mail worn between the legs (try it sometime...) at least in keeping with the iconic look.
    I don't know. Mattel themselves have come up with some various unexpected costumes for He-Man over the years with a special gimmick. This new armor showing up in the comic series soon doesn't seem any different from them to me.

I'm sorry to anyone else who might take this the wrong way, but I seem to get the feeling there are some fans out there who just want to keep trying to find something wrong with the new comic to keep the hate going. There is nothing but negativity lately.

Must someone have to go through the entire roster of different armors and looks He-Man has had over the years to point out how unfounded a lot of people's hatred of He-Man's upcoming new armored look really is? The hatred is pretty silly to say the least.

I can remember the hatred fans had over the snake armor He-Man wore in MYP season 2 just shortly before it launched and then after that season aired for awhile, fan reaction suddenly became positive all of a sudden. And, to be honest, I wasn't too impressed with the snake armor at first either but I learned to appreciate it for what it was.

As far as how some characters are written in the series, sure some of the dialogue is kind of 'un-MOTU' to an extent. I've managed to overlook it in favor of the story that can be told.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Heroic Warrior
    I don't know. Mattel themselves have come up with some various unexpected costumes for He-Man over the years with a special gimmick. This new armor showing up in the comic series soon doesn't seem any different from them to me.

I'm sorry to anyone else who might take this the wrong way, but I seem to get the feeling there are some fans out there who just want to keep trying to find something wrong with the new comic to keep the hate going. There is nothing but negativity lately.

Must someone have to go through the entire roster of different armors and looks He-Man has had over the years to point out how unfounded a lot of people's hatred of He-Man's upcoming new armored look really is? The hatred is pretty silly to say the least.

I can remember the hatred fans had over the snake armor He-Man wore in MYP season 2 just shortly before it launched and then after that season aired for awhile, fan reaction suddenly became positive all of a sudden. And, to be honest, I wasn't too impressed with the snake armor at first either but I learned to appreciate it for what it was.

As far as how some characters are written in the series, sure some of the dialogue is kind of 'un-MOTU' to an extent. I've managed to overlook it in favor of the story that can be told.
    Yeah, He-Man has gone through quite a few different outfits over the years and this is just another one. To me, this looks like a variation of his battle armor outfit, which is personally my favorite He-Man variant outfit. I'm looking forward to seeing what properties his new (Horde?) armor will have.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Yeah, He-Man has gone through quite a few different outfits over the years and this is just another one. To me, this looks like a variation of his battle armor outfit, which is personally my favorite He-Man variant outfit. I'm looking forward to seeing what properties his new (Horde?) armor will have.
    Exactly my impression. Portions look a lot like a mash up of the battle armor and the battle sounds figures.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Clearly not properties enough to stop him getting captured as soon as he puts it on.....

This is what happens when comics are subject to interjections from above; the new IronManCosplay armour is purely a commercial venture, and as such trumps the basic demands of telling a coherent narrative. Which is why it will come across so poorly.

The only good thing to be said about this new and non-iconic look is that it is unlikely to last; negative reaction will kill-off the experiment very soon. Mattel and DC are already busy pointing the finger at one another as to whose fault the unrolling disaster is - and just note the reaction on this site to the prospect of figures in this pattern. Hardly a ringing endorsement, was it?

I don't hate it, but I'd say it's nothing approaching good. It actually does remind me of some of the throwaway variants that Mattel cooked up in 200X. Which is not a compliment. But apparently it's supposed to be his new ongoing look? I just don't think it's strong enough for that.

I thought the Snake Armor was a really strong design, right from the start. Same with the Ice Armor. Certain things appeal to certain people. I don't think it does anyone good to keep banging on over and over about how they don't like something. Personally, I like to spend my time on things I DO like. But at the same time, I think you've got to accept sometimes that other people like different things. That doesn't mean they are just being negative. They just might not have the same taste.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

I think the hatred comes from Giffen saying in interviews that this is He-Man's new look PERIOD. At least the other variants were simply temporary costume changes when the situation demanded it. But this new costume isn't what most fans associate with He-Man.

I think the hatred comes from Giffen saying in interviews that this is He-Man's new look PERIOD. At least the other variants were simply temporary costume changes when the situation demanded it. But this new costume isn't what most fans associate with He-Man.
    It may be the suit He-Man uses during Giffen's tenure, but not likely to be the only one used forever. The same can be said with the armor Superman has worn since 2011. That won't last forever either. But, fans need to understand that if this is what the creative team wants to do, this is what they are going to do. And, also, the creative team cannot be totally closed off to the fandom. But, if the creative team did everything the fandom wanted all of the time, we wouldn't get anything new.

I want new. I want to see what a new take can offer.

I thought the Snake Armor was a really strong design, right from the start. Same with the Ice Armor. Certain things appeal to certain people. I don't think it does anyone good to keep banging on over and over about how they don't like something. Personally, I like to spend my time on things I DO like. But at the same time, I think you've got to accept sometimes that other people like different things. That doesn't mean they are just being negative. They just might not have the same taste.
    I liked the ice armor as well. At the very least MYP let He-Man utilize different armor variants for his missions quite often. Filmation kept He-Man in one suit at all times.

When Mike Bock and I worked together on the unfinished 'Second Horde War' fan comic series, I made a specific point to write in a scene where He-Man goes into the armory in Castle Grayskull to get his battle armor with other familiar armors along side. Mike Bock chose the right armors to show in that panel.
    (Hordak Alpha))

It may be the suit He-Man uses during Giffen's tenure, but not likely to be the only one used forever. The same can be said with the armor Superman has worn since 2011. That won't last forever either. But, fans need to understand that if this is what the creative team wants to do, this is what they are going to do. And, also, the creative team cannot be totally closed off to the fandom. But, if the creative team did everything the fandom wanted all of the time, we wouldn't get anything new.

I want new. I want to see what a new take can offer.
    That's assuming that the current creative team are the ones in power. Mattel is calling the shots here.

That's assuming that the current creative team are the ones in power. Mattel is calling the shots here.
    Well then, if Mattel is calling the shots, the writing team shouldn't be the ones to point the ridicule at. Otherwise, probably should just be happy we get anything MOTU anymore. Mattel doesn't have to make new MOTU figures and they don't have to allow the existence of a new comic book either. Enough negativity and they may shut it down permanently some day.

Can't tell me MOTU is Mattel's bread and butter anymore since they have tons of other franchises that are raking in the cash for them. I'd call our fandom lucky that we get anything MOTU when it isn't a property that can be geared at kids anymore. That was tried and failed from 2002 to early 2004.
    (Hordak Alpha))