Page 36 of 70 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    That's a great point. I could see Adam telling People that He-Man is a Barbarian that lives out in the wastelands. Would explain why Eternians don't seen He-Man hanging out at the Royal Cafeteria and such. I just saw Cat and Spider today and Prince Adam sleeping in his nightgown at the royal palace doesn't make me think of him as a classic barbarian. But Yes, I agree, when people think of He-Man, they think of a furry shorts and boots muscle guy.
    Thanks!

I thought that it would be a neat way to reconcile He-Man's Pre-Filmation origins with the iconic status quo started by Filmation and continued by everyone else. The whole barbarian tribe origin from He-Man and the Power Sword would be Adam's cover story about He-Man's origins. It's not really true, but a story concocted by Adam to protect his secret.

Even He-Man has to have a past, a childhood, a place to go "home". Using the Pre-Filmation origin in this way is a great nod to that past, while keeping the iconic elements.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Thanks!

I thought that it would be a neat way to reconcile He-Man's Pre-Filmation origins with the iconic status quo started by Filmation and continued by everyone else. The whole barbarian tribe origin from He-Man and the Power Sword would be Adam's cover story about He-Man's origins. It's not really true, but a story concocted by Adam to protect his secret.

Even He-Man has to have a past, a childhood, a place to go "home". Using the Pre-Filmation origin in this way is a great nod to that past, while keeping the iconic elements.

It is a very neat way of reconciling the two - apparently conflicting - origin tales. Legends often begin like that - take the Arthurian tales which grew from a very simple basis over many years and changed completely in the process, with a (probable) Romano-British warrior becoming the knight in shining armour of popular myth.

Yes; it works really well - I like it (and I STILL want the iconic look back; simply can't stand this college footballer look.... Surely it'll never catch on?)

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Sales data for MOTU issue #3 and Origin of Hordak are out:

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe issue #3: 18,277
    Master of the Universe Origin of Hordak: 17,113
    Thanks for the stats. I'll add it to the rest.

(First mini-series)

Masters of the Universe #1 - 27,665
    Masters of the Universe #2 - 19,737
    Masters of the Universe #3 - 18,269
    Masters of the Universe #4 - 17,499
    Masters of the Universe #5 - 16,858
    Masters of the Universe #6 - 16,441

Masters of the Universe The Origin of Skeletor - 18,420
    Masters of the Universe The Origin of He-Man - 17,866
    Masters of the Universe The Origin of Hordak: - 17,113

(Second mini-series with Despara)

Masters of the Universe #1 - 25,254
    Masters of the Universe #2 - 19,410
    Masters of the Universe #3 - 18,277
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

This whole crossover is merely publicity. DC gets to sell another Justice League book and Mattel gets to pimp their characters to comic book fans in a big way. Teela vs Wonder Woman is one Alpha Woman versus another Alpha Woman. This is basically Storm versus Wonder Woman or Wolverine versus Lobo.

Good reminder that this isn't our "standard" MOTU canon.
    Well, since they are using this opportunity to showcase the major MOTU/POP characters to a wider audience, I say leaving out one of their major characters would be a huge mistake. I dont care if she is currently Despera, there are ways around that, especially since this is a separate canon.

We may never get another opportunity to see DC & Mattel's mightiest female warriors pitted against each other. If it doesn't happen it'll be like having He-Man fight Batman, instead of Superman.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    It is a very neat way of reconciling the two - apparently conflicting - origin tales. Legends often begin like that - take the Arthurian tales which grew from a very simple basis over many years and changed completely in the process, with a (probable) Romano-British warrior becoming the knight in shining armour of popular myth.

Yes; it works really well - I like it (and I STILL want the iconic look back; simply can't stand this college footballer look.... Surely it'll never catch on?)
    Yes I agree it's a great way to reconcile the origin tales. Good comparison to Arthurian legend too.

The Trade Paperback of the 6 issue mini-series and the Geoff Johns digital issue came out today.

They have included a seven page sketchbook of extras in the back. A colored He-Man, black and white Mer-Man, Stratos, Skeletor, Sorceress, Trap Jaw and Teela sketches are all new. We've already seen some of the Evil-Lyn and Man-At-Arms stuff, but the sketches have some notes and some alternate versions.

Heroic Warrior
    The Trade Paperback of the 6 issue mini-series and the Geoff Johns digital issue came out today.

They have included a seven page sketchbook of extras in the back. A colored He-Man, black and white Mer-Man, Stratos, Skeletor, Sorceress, Trap Jaw and Teela sketches are all new. We've already seen some of the Evil-Lyn and Man-At-Arms stuff, but the sketches have some notes and some alternate versions.
    Thanks for the info. Even though I have all the individual issues I may pick this up.

Aw fudgepop! Giffen is still with!?
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I LOVE that He-Man design! I hope it shows up somewhere because that is phenomenal.
    Pop stated when that picture surfaced that this was HIS redesign but it was rejected. Not likely that we'll see Pop's HM in the book.

Pop's He-Man looks AMAZING!!!

this site shows several sketches http://www.craveonline.com/comics/pr...universe-vol-1

Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Love the Trap-Jaw and Stratos ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    Pop stated when that picture surfaced that this was HIS redesign but it was rejected. Not likely that we'll see Pop's HM in the book.
    Well that's crap. I assume it is just to much black for Mattel's liking. It is the Game of Thrones He-Man but it is so slick.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    I would add that He-Man isn't a Barbarian. He's a prince of a royal family where people regularly mix tech with fantasy. He has a robot teammate. His best friend creates futuristic weapons and wears a body suit. Armor wouldn't be that out of the ordinary. Neither would pants.

If you think He-Man's a barbarian, you're ignoring the complete change to his character that Filmation made, in my opinion.
    Which is why his upcoming new suit of armor makes as much sense as every other armor He-Man has worn in every other canon. Can't understand why it keeps getting such negative comments. Looks nothing like the 'Iron Man' suit and even if it did, big deal.

I used to have problems with the snake armor since, back then, I was too wrapped up in MOTU. Now, still remaining a fan, I don't take the changes to the characters as seriously as I used to since it yields nothing. Keeping the negative comments going at DC isn't going to make them change the suit.

Perhaps it worked in the ONE instance where there was so much negativity over Power Girl's 'New 52' suit that her costume was changed back to what worked. In that case, it was valid since the 'New 52' suit was merely created to try and give her a super hero symbol like the rest of the DC characters, but it just looked silly.

In He-Man's case, all of the armored looks work because it's He-Man. The concept of He-Man has always involved an armor change depending on the threat level or whatever gimmick works for Mattel to sell another He-Man action figure. I'm not going to lose any sleep over what armor He-Man wears.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Which is why his upcoming new suit of armor makes as much sense as every other armor He-Man has worn in every other canon. Can't understand why it keeps getting such negative comments. Looks nothing like the 'Iron Man' suit and even if it did, big deal.

I used to have problems with the snake armor since, back then, I was too wrapped up in MOTU. Now, still remaining a fan, I don't take the changes to the characters as seriously as I used to since it yields nothing. Keeping the negative comments going at DC isn't going to make them change the suit.

Perhaps it worked in the ONE instance where there was so much negativity over Power Girl's 'New 52' suit that her costume was changed back to what worked. In that case, it was valid since the 'New 52' suit was merely created to try and give her a super hero symbol like the rest of the DC characters, but it just looked silly.

In He-Man's case, all of the armored looks work because it's He-Man. The concept of He-Man has always involved an armor change depending on the threat level or whatever gimmick works for Mattel to sell another He-Man action figure. I'm not going to lose any sleep over what armor He-Man wears.
    I think the problem that many fans have with the new armor is that it isn't temporary or situational like the others. It's supposed to be his default look now. DC/Mattel is trying to change a classic and iconic look that had defined He-Man.

If the suit was simply another power-up costume, there probably wouldn't be as much negativity towards it.

Keeping the negative comments going at DC isn't going to make them change the suit. Perhaps it worked in the ONE instance where there was so much negativity over Power Girl's 'New 52' suit that her costume was changed back to what worked. In that case, it was valid since the 'New 52' suit was merely created to try and give her a super hero symbol like the rest of the DC characters, but it just looked silly.
    The fans who are complaining about He-Man's new look think it looks silly too. If we keep voicing our opinion, eventually the powers that be will listen. I care too much about MOTU to treat it with apathy if I feel it's being taken in the wrong direction. A temporary change in attire is one thing, but I get the horrible feeling Mattel may push for this to be the look for He-Man going forward, much like DC is doing with New 52.

The concept of He-Man has always involved an armor change
    Filmation's He-Man did not.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Neither did Jetlag...but He-Man's NA variants were the same basic outfit and they were progressively trying to bulk He-Man up to his Vintage proportions rather than give him a new play pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Just wanted to say I have POP Mhan as a friend on Facebook, it's a very nice guy and very talented, just look at his art gallery to notify that.
    it's not necessary to remember He made ​​the last cover of the Ongoing, which is one of the best covers of the year.

Here is a some art by POP "lack of talent"Mhan

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...80643545_n.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...an-d66l0h6.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...an-d66l2fu.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/...ps73312e38.jpg
    I LOVE that He-Man design! I hope it shows up somewhere because that is phenomenal.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    Pop's He-Man looks AMAZING!!!
    Well that's crap. I assume it is just to much black for Mattel's liking. It is the Game of Thrones He-Man but it is so slick.
    This design is 100x better. It keeps a lot of what works with the classic look and still adds tasteful details that help bring him up to date. It also compliments what the Horsemen's look for He-Man was (which we all know ended up becoming King Grayskull). It would even make more sense that the "current" He-Man would look slightly more modern compared to Grayskull's classic/vintage He-Man look.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    No sign of issues 1 and 2 - emailed customer services and got the following response...

Thank you for your email. By this time you should have received He-Man issues #1 and #2. Unfortunately we no longer have these issues available to send replacements, so we have extended your subscription an extra 2 issues. Your subscription will now expire with issue #14.

If you have any further questions or concerns please contact us.
    Great now I'll have to hunt down the missing issues now.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    No sign of issues 1 and 2 - emailed customer services and got the following response...

Great now I'll have to hunt down the missing issues now.
    Try Amazon. I know they sell individual issues. Good luck!

now THIS would be far more satisfying than what i've seen in the comics so far. i've always been a fan of Eric Canete but those sketches are so energetic.
    fd2508d8e82511e2bfca22000ae9119e_7.jpg

I hate this art style.

Well, the news on Giffen picking the writing back up at issue 13 means I'm done at 12. I just can't stand his writing any more.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    I think the problem that many fans have with the new armor is that it isn't temporary or situational like the others. It's supposed to be his default look now. DC/Mattel is trying to change a classic and iconic look that had defined He-Man.

If the suit was simply another power-up costume, there probably wouldn't be as much negativity towards it.
    Mattel tried to change He-Man's 'iconic' look once before during the 'New Adventures' era. He-Man's look has changed before, it'll change again and probably change again after that. It'd be different if Mattel was trying to change He-Man into some 'Lobo-esque' character with chains and hooks and knives coming out of every gauntlet and boot.

The DC armor seems to adhere to the standards of look that He-Man has been through before. OMG! HE HAS PANTS! That's happened before too, during the NA era. Pants or no pants, it's still He-Man.

The fans who are complaining about He-Man's new look think it looks silly too. If we keep voicing our opinion, eventually the powers that be will listen. I care too much about MOTU to treat it with apathy if I feel it's being taken in the wrong direction. A temporary change in attire is one thing, but I get the horrible feeling Mattel may push for this to be the look for He-Man going forward, much like DC is doing with New 52.
    New 52 isn't going to last forever just like He-Man's new armor isn't either. There was a time when the snake armor look was going to be He-Man's 'default' look and that barely lasted a year, excluding the fact that the 200x cartoon and toyline died at that time. It's a change that'll be around for awhile, but not forever. The classic look of He-Man is the true 'default' look of He-Man because it is the most remembered by fans just like the old suit with the red trunks is the 'default' for Superman. I just don't see the need for the anger. It does nothing but get people riled up for no productive reason.

He-Man didn't change his look in the Filmation show probably because Filmation didn't want to spend a bunch of money when they already could re-use the same old roto-scoped cells of He-Man in the default look for next to nothing. Just like Faker was nothing more than the re-use of the existing He-Man animated cells with glowing eyes. Filmation didn't want to use money on something that probably was only going to appear in one episode.

now THIS would be far more satisfying than what i've seen in the comics so far. i've always been a fan of Eric Canete but those sketches are so energetic.
    BLARG!!! I'm sorry, but I don't like that art style either. It would work fine if it were an art style being used by an eight year old who was illustrating their own picture story of He-Man and his adventures (I did drawings of Thunder Punch He-Man in a similar style when I was a child too, as did probably most of us) but for a He-Man comic book series for the adult fan, an art style resembling Santalucia, Bock, that Pop Mhan guy or even more mainstream artists like Al Rio(R.I.P) and those already established at DC are what should only be considered.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Heroic Warrior
    While appreciating your arguments (and there is nothing wrong with your reasoning; not at all) it still remains that the new look has gone down very badly - both among the vast majority of fans here and elsewhere. Reactions on other sites and blogs are almost without exception negative and draw attention constantly to the pointed resemblance to IronMan; there is even a fair amount of humour being expressed at MotU's expense.
    It's simply not a popular look, either as a 'one-off' OR as a default costume - and it doesn't look as if many among even die-hard fans would want the figures - judging by reaction to the polls.

It does seem strangely obtuse of Mattel/DC to insist on this change in the teeth of such a reaction - and it is, perhaps, indicative that the two appear to be blaming each other for its introduction, each busily disclaiming responsibility!

I can't see this change of kit doing anything at all to bolster sales of comics which appear already - at best - very moderate (and which, to many, have more serious flaws than the costumes.)

But you are undoubtedly right; it won't last; after all, since the new DC comics began a year ago we have already had a) Red-Cross/chainmail He-Man b) Yellow-Cross/chainmail He-Man and now c) IronManCosplay He-Man (but at least no pointless chainmail....)

Who knows what next month may bring; after all, it's possible that someone might even eventually realise that the tried-and-tested (and hugely iconic) traditional look actually works.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    Well, the news on Giffen picking the writing back up at issue 13 means I'm done at 12. I just can't stand his writing any more.
    I suspect that I shall be with you there, EagleOne; I really can't see myself renewing if Giffen is let loose on poor Eternia again; I wonder what impact this news will have on the level of renewal of subscriptions.

All the same, things at DC change all the time - and some commentators elsewhere have voiced surprise (and cynicism) as to whether the announcement is actually true or not - or just an attempt to stabilise matters in the somewhat seismic world of the DCU. So there may be hope yet - especially if Abnett performs better in #s 7-12.
    And some might welll consider that he would be hard-put to it to do any worse.....