Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Who’s that standing behind Stratos in the last panel? Roboto?
    Kind of looks like him, but he is colored oddly if that's the case.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Who’s that standing behind Stratos in the last panel? Roboto?
    I think it's Zodak.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    LOL@Teela dying her hair.
    That was pretty funny. Arguably the reaction MAA has in a couple of panels ("pretend we don't notice" & "then again...") could seem a bit Meta in that his reaction could easily stand for fans who were arguing over her hair colour. The 'royal rooster' line is also quite funny.

I quite like the designs MAA and Adam are wearing. I'm liking the art style too. It's already seeming much less bland than the previous comics. Hopefully this ongoing is as good as it looks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Kind of looks like him, but he is colored oddly if that's the case.
    Well even Stratos seems different (if that is him). It could be Roboto with some tweaks. Both characters seem to have an interesting redesign (from what I can see from a background cameo).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    That was pretty funny. Arguably the reaction MAA has in a couple of panels ("pretend we don't notice" & "then again...") could seem a bit Meta in that his reaction could easily stand for fans who were arguing over her hair colour. The 'royal rooster' line is also quite funny.
    I took the change and the conversation about it being meta as well. We never get a reason for the change.

I quite like the designs MAA and Adam are wearing. I'm liking the art style too. It's already seeming much less bland than the previous comics. Hopefully this ongoing is as good as it looks so far.
    I don't know...they seem too...earthly militant. I guess I'm used to their barbaric clothing (the furry boots and underwear) being the norm on Eternia.

I guess He-Man is back to being Adam now? Or is that He-Man in funeral garb being referred to by his real name?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I like that the palace has the R2-D2-esque Filmation design.

I don't know...they seem too...earthly militant. I guess I'm used to their barbaric clothing (the furry boots and underwear) being the norm on Eternia.
    They're looking rather steampunk.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guy-dude View Post
    Over at io9, they've got the first five pages of the comic coming on Wednesday. Looks pretty good, imho.

http://io9.com/exclusive-preview-of-...omic-472970332

It indeed does look good. Someone is still going to say something negative, however. Just wait.

I, however, do like the idea that some characters could die in this incarnation. Now, mind you, I think the writers going out of their way to kill off well known characters every issue would be a bit overboard and trigger happy. But, now and again, casualties are all a part of war. Our heroes are at war. At war with Skeletor and soon to be at war with Hordak and the Horde. In war, the villains don't run back home to vow revenge another day and the good guys don't always come out unscathed.
    Last edited by Hordak Alpha; April 15, 2013 at 07:06pm.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I took the change and the conversation about it being meta as well. We never get a reason for the change.
    True. Though I was thinking reading the panels preceding that when MAA and Adam were discussing Teela that they may have been referring to her hair, but that was because I had seen your comment on her hair and was reading it expecting that connection even though it ended up them just discussing the Sorceress death impact on Teela. Though I do think that it would be a nice angle if they made it the Sorceress was a red head and Teela was doing it in remembrance of her mother.

I never got that at first, but I do see what you mean now that you mention it. MAA shirt does look a bit like an army shirt, Adam a bit less so imo. It seems a bit more regal in a superhero-like world. I think they're supposed to be some sort of military formal wear (which would be appropriate for their characters). I like the designs myself.

I wouldn't want to see them wearing it all the time, but if it's a sign of a less bland style of clothing in general for future issues then I'm happy. I think the metal tie is a bit much. I wouldn't mind seeing Adam wearing something similar though from now on (again, minus metal tie). Teela's outfit is quite nice also.

With the six issue comic and the origins I never really dug the bland costumes people wore. Many characters came across as looking like a cheap Shakespearean amateur production. Adam looked like a more bland version of his old filmation costume which didn't really befit a prince in a magical world imo. The costumes needed both more detail and flair.

Though saying that from the brief shot of King Randor it seems he's still sporting the same bland design as his filmation self.

I would add that I'd personally like to see them in more varied outfits and not just their 'costumes' all the time. I expect these are just formal wear and are hardly likely to be their costumes for battle or even their civilian clothes, but I'd like to see them change their looks outside of battle more often and not just have one look for battle and one look for normal life.

I guess He-Man is back to being Adam now? Or is that He-Man in funeral garb being referred to by his real name?
    I don't think there was ever an intention for him to give up being Adam. I'm pretty sure he probably still changes back and forth when he needs the power, just that it's not a secret who he is anymore. Personally I've always found it a bizarre concept (which I'm sure I've mentioned to you before and I think you pointed me to the NA comics where he does just that lol).
    I hate you. So much.

Well here goes the first 'negative' comment...

Designs, ugh! From the looks of this this has clearly gone beyond the Barbarian look and these more uniformed looks are probably royal dress but really?
    I guess we can expect this since a movie is in the works and they have to prepare to augment the character's and their looks. It would seem that it would be a visual downgrade now to see them in there 'warrior' looks now. But as someone will point out; yes this is a variation of the story/canon, and yes this is 'furthering' the adventures and whatever... I guess I'm a traditionalist and would hope to have had something in relation to the product I already have not something that seems to be heading towards a different tangent.

Now don't get me wrong I LOVE the Despara angle and will buy this book just for that, but as for the rest... it's gonna take a lot more for me to be pure MOTU. So take it as negative or not but it's an opinion from a collector who really feels, if it really wasn't broke why try to fix it?
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Another thing I liked about the preview is the slightly exaggerated emotions on Teela's face when she's shoots Adam a look. I thought that was a neat touch.
    I hate you. So much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    Well here goes the first 'negative' comment...

Designs, ugh! From the looks of this this has clearly gone beyond the Barbarian look and these more uniformed looks are probably royal dress but really?
    I guess we can expect this since a movie is in the works and they have to prepare to augment the character's and their looks. It would seem that it would be a visual downgrade now to see them in there 'warrior' looks now. But as someone will point out; yes this is a variation of the story/canon, and yes this is 'furthering' the adventures and whatever... I guess I'm a traditionalist and would hope to have had something in relation to the product I already have not something that seems to be heading towards a different tangent.

Now don't get me wrong I LOVE the Despara angle and will buy this book just for that, but as for the rest... it's gonna take a lot more for me to be pure MOTU. So take it as negative or not but it's an opinion from a collector who really feels, if it really wasn't broke why try to fix it?
    As much as I enjoyed the 1984 look, consider how much other characters have visually changed in comics in the last 30 years. Even Batman looks very different now than he did then. It's just the nature of making it work in a comic in the modern age. I think they look fine. They have civilizied civies and then break out the barbarian garb when it's time to fight. Makes sense. I would expect something similar from the movie.

I wonder when we'll see anything from this series appear in action figure form?????

So is the Battle Armor H symbol actually a religious icon for Zoar? I really like that. I love having deeper meanings for symbols that aren't just "H for He-Man".

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    As much as I enjoyed the 1984 look, consider how much other characters have visually changed in comics in the last 30 years. Even Batman looks very different now than he did then. It's just the nature of making it work in a comic in the modern age. I think they look fine. They have civilizied civies and then break out the barbarian garb when it's time to fight. Makes sense. I would expect something similar from the movie.

I wonder when we'll see anything from this series appear in action figure form?????
    You are right to an extent but if they have such upgraded 'civies' why even change to lesser garb, I would think there is more advanced garb or wardrobe. What makes MOTU unique is that it encompassed both the magical and technological aspects of a world that was theirs alone and not trying to grasps at anything else. I do understand the forward progression, but when you have Product A being sold and then you push something of the namesake but no where similar... The reference of Batman and his changes is a key point in the fact that in some cases it works and in some it don't. Batman and for the sake of comics in general; have gone to the point where the fantasy and unexplained need to always be explained. Therefore we update costumes and looks to look realistic and be able to explain it all so it's believable and easier to translate into other forms of media. I don't feel MOTU should fully embrace that concept but that's me. What makes things work is making them surprise and amaze you as a reader (which thankfully in some cases they can still do from time to time) but I always enjoyed the stories of the fantastic, unexplained and out of this world myself.

It's just my non argumentative thought. And figures it would be nice but waaaaaaayyyyy down the road. Concepts and new ideas do not do this line well when must haves are still in demand and out there.

With the impression I get from MOTUC as it is I wouldn't put it in the likely category. Though if the movie actually gets made then I could imagine some comic figures could see their way to getting made.
    I hate you. So much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    You are right to an extent but if they have such upgraded 'civies' why even change to lesser garb, I would think there is more advanced garb or wardrobe. What makes MOTU unique is that it encompassed both the magical and technological aspects of a world that was theirs alone and not trying to grasps at anything else. I do understand the forward progression, but when you have Product A being sold and then you push something of the namesake but no where similar... The reference of Batman and his changes is a key point in the fact that in some cases it works and in some it don't. Batman and for the sake of comics in general; have gone to the point where the fantasy and unexplained need to always be explained. Therefore we update costumes and looks to look realistic and be able to explain it all so it's believable and easier to translate into other forms of media. I don't feel MOTU should fully embrace that concept but that's me. What makes things work is making them surprise and amaze you as a reader (which thankfully in some cases they can still do from time to time) but I always enjoyed the stories of the fantastic, unexplained and out of this world myself.

It's just my non argumentative thought. And figures it would be nice but waaaaaaayyyyy down the road. Concepts and new ideas do not do this line well when must haves are still in demand and out there.
    I suspect it would be less of a shock for you if MOTU had been published continuously for the last 30 years and you'd seen the changes happen more gradually. Who knows?

Yeah, I think we'll have to wait and see if the line is still alive 2016 or so before they embrace this incarnation, but again who knows? Maybe a SDCC exclusive DC Comics 2013 He-Man could happen in 2014 or 2015????
    Last edited by No-Ah; April 15, 2013 at 09:41pm.

I suspect it would be less of a shock for you if MOTU had been published continuously for the last 30 years and you'd seen the changes happen more gradually. Who knows?

Yeah, I think we'll have to wait and see if the line is still alive 2016 or so before they embrace this incarnation, but again who knows? Maybe a SDCC exclusive DC Comics 2013 He-Man could happen in 2014 or 2015????
    Yes maybe slightly less of one. Just with the figures we have now I would've preferred some uniformity. But hey we'll wait and see as I've said I do love the Despara approach and many like me despise it, so go figure...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I hope the Sorceress comes back. Everyone killing the Sorceress off really upsets me. There's basically only 4 women on Eternia: Evil-Lyn, Teela, The Sorceress and Queen Marlena. So, of course they kill the most powerful character on Eternia (besides Skeletor). She better have a Gandolf the White moment...

I also believe Teela's red hair is to honour her mother, the Sorceress.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, besides the Sorceress being dead, I really enjoyed those pages. Very well written and I liked the art work too! Quite funny back and forth with Teela. MUCH better than the 6-issue series convos with Adam and Teela.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; April 15, 2013 at 10:42pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Oh no. Rammy is a dwarf again.
    "A female He-Man. Ooh oh. This is the worst day of my life."

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Looking good! I like the outfits - I think they're ceremonial from what the first few panels suggest where King Randor is addressing Eternos. Really liking the stylized "H" symbol from the Battle Armor.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Widget
    I subed to get the exclusive cover and have never done this with comics before.does anyone know when us subers should expect our comics? Will they show up in the mail tomorrow?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I hope the Sorceress comes back. Everyone killing the Sorceress off really upsets me. There's basically only 4 women on Eternia: Evil-Lyn, Teela, The Sorceress and Queen Marlena. So, of course they kill the most powerful character on Eternia (besides Skeletor). She better have a Gandolf the White moment...
    It's a comic book. Who says resurrections can't happen? If enough fans complained about Teela's blonde hair (IF that was the cause for the change), then enough fans complaining can get the Sorceress resurrected.

I also believe Teela's red hair is to honour her mother, the Sorceress.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, besides the Sorceress being dead, I really enjoyed those pages. Very well written and I liked the art work too! Quite funny back and forth with Teela. MUCH better than the 6-issue series convos with Adam and Teela.
    But she still is unaware that her mother was the Sorceress. Even Duncan doesn't know why she changed her hair. Only Teela knows why and she isn't giving a reason -- that's why it seems so meta. She can't come out and say that she changed up her hair due to fan complaints without breaking the fourth wall like Deadpool or She-Hulk.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    It should be easy to resurrect the Sorceress. She was beheaded, but this series is based in part on MOTUC, right? Just pop her head back on, and voila! She may suffer from bobblehead for awhile, but she'll be fine!
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

It's a comic book. Who says resurrections can't happen? If enough fans complained about Teela's blonde hair (IF that was the cause for the change), then enough fans complaining can get the Sorceress resurrected.
    As much as I would have loved to have seen certain thing played out like Teela finding out who her mother was and confronting her about everything and MAA's feelings for the Sorceress (which I'm not sure if it hasn't just been fanon up until this point), I think it would probably be best to leave that as it is and move the story on from there. Though it's a shame and there is some loss of potential story, you in turn have a potentially very strong ground for developing parts of Teela's story and to a lesser extent MAA and Adam's. Which makes me hope that we can finally have some real story progression in these comics and not just a return to the status quo.

Also, it would be nice if the six issue comic wasn't a complete waste of time and the only thing we're left with is a missing Orko and He-man's secret is out. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    It should be easy to resurrect the Sorceress. She was beheaded, but this series is based in part on MOTUC, right? Just pop her head back on, and voila! She may suffer from bobblehead for awhile, but she'll be fine!
    Very meta.
    I hate you. So much.

I would love for the Sorceress to come back badass and dressed like the 200x Sorceress or wearing the Snake mantle.

Heroic Warrior
    Hmmmmm the design is just to far from the original concept for me ,
    now I don't mean that He-man has to have three red squares on each shoulder or Skeletor needs a yellow face, but the Conan / Flash Gordon roots seem to be lost, for a typical DC style super hero book, it seems some of the magic is lost on them,

I know it's weird in a world with tech advanced enough to have robots and flying craft, but I just think the whole idea of a young prince in( a nicely tailored suit in the comic version ) trousers replacing them with a fur lion cloth to go in to battle is plain daft ,

I would like to see it the design take it's inspiration from a more medieval / ancient Greek / ancient celts/ with tech and magic sprinkled thoughout kinda thing,
    just my two cents. Z