Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Can't wait for the Hordak one, it sounds interesting.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Did the mini series lead up to the on going or were they separate story lines?
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow View Post
    Did the mini series lead up to the on going or were they separate story lines?
    Ongoing continues from where miniseries ended, they are the same story line, as are Digital First issues, that were published along the miniseries.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Quote Originally Posted by EuroCoin View Post
    Ongoing continues from where miniseries ended, they are the same story line, as are Digital First issues, that were published along the miniseries.

- Joni -
    Thank you!

Finally read issue 2, forgive me for this but I am really liking how it's shaping up. Sure there are some things I would rather have, but this issue felt like a great read. I'm loving Pop Mahn's art and there were moments I really liked.

There are things they introduced in the mini series that I really don't like but much like the older minis and the original DC series, I see this as a different mythology and I enjoy much of it so far.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Here's all the sales numbers so far for easy reference.

(First mini-series)

Masters of the Universe #1 - 27,665
    Masters of the Universe #2 - 19,737
    Masters of the Universe #3 - 18,269
    Masters of the Universe #4 - 17,499
    Masters of the Universe #5 - 16,858
    Masters of the Universe #6 - 16,441

Masters of the Universe The Origin of Skeletor - 18,420
    Masters of the Universe The Origin of He-Man - 17,866

(Second mini-series with Despara)

Masters of the Universe #1 - 25,254
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

^ Completely ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff. Are these results good?

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    ^ Completely ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff. Are these results good?
    They're not great.

We have to hope the cross-over mini helps or this series would be lucky to last 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I would say these are decent sales. Plus, this doesn't include digital sales.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Don't just look at the numbers alone. Look at the pattern. Readership went DOWN every month...DC should take the hint and stop with all the "new and exciting change for the sake of change".

Same thing is going to happen for the ongoing. And regular "comic geeks" don't care about MOTU. Listen to any podcast and when it comes up the overwhelming sentiment is "oh, is that still around?". Crossover is going to be like spitting into the ocean.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Widget
    I haven't been paying attention to the threads on the comic because I've been behind on my comic reading but I finally caught up on He-Man. I want to like the new comics but so far I have a hard time doing so. The revelation about the traitor in the mini-series just defied my sense of disbelief. Nothing in the previous stories have given an indication of that character betraying them. For me to buy it I need more hints/build up to that. That combined with the different look for Mer-Man left me feeling like this isn't He-Man. The continuing series started off better because Eternos looks and feels more like the old He-Man. But it quickly descended into another bad guy has taken over the world.

It feels like they are ignoring all the previous history of MOTU. I'm not opposed to modifying things like the 2002 series did. I felt like the 2002 series tried to keep the spirit of the MOTU. This new comic feels more like it is written by someone who doesn't like the original and wants to completely rewrite it. (I'm not saying that is the case. For all I know he could be a big He-Man fan and feels he is doing justice to the character. Opinions by their nature are subjective.)

Another disappointing thing about the new series is I can't share it with my son (4 year old). The tone of the story is simply darker than I'd like to show him. I know He-Man is targeting an older audience now but I feel it is possible to create a compelling story for both older and younger readers.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    They're not great.

We have to hope the cross-over mini helps or this series would be lucky to last 2 years.
    They sold one year subs...I think they hit the mark there...I don't think it will even go 2 years.
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

I just read the mini and the regular series that are out now and besides the random Orko thing, I enjoy the series. I dont see where al the hate is coming from.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    They sold one year subs...I think they hit the mark there...I don't think it will even go 2 years.
    Me neither - I very much doubt it will go beyond the expiry of the one-year subs. A great pity - but they have no-one but themselves to blame, giving the writing to someone who clearly regards MotU as an enormous joke to be dissed at every available opportunity.

Are good comic writers who can be bothered to do some background research and show respect for the brand THAT hard to find? Apparently..... (at least at DC - who seldom seem to keep one for long...)

Quote Originally Posted by dulsi View Post
    Another disappointing thing about the new series is I can't share it with my son (4 year old). The tone of the story is simply darker than I'd like to show him. I know He-Man is targeting an older audience now but I feel it is possible to create a compelling story for both older and younger readers.
    I think that's the biggest problem I have with these comics. I can't share them with my niece, as I feel they're just too dark and violent. MOTU is supposed to be for children. That's why the characters have simple names like Ram Man & Stinkor. I'm disappointed that Mattel is allowing their property to be taken in this direction.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I think that's the biggest problem I have with these comics. I can't share them with my niece, as I feel they're just too dark and violent. MOTU is supposed to be for children. That's why the characters have simple names like Ram Man & Stinkor. I'm disappointed that Mattel is allowing their property to be taken in this direction.
    You make a good point. Whether he's a one-note character, or they find a way to make him more mature, a dude named Stinkor is only going to be taken just so seriously.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    MOTU WAS for children back in the 80's, as was Transformers and G.I. Joe. But those kids are all grown up now and look on those characters with nostalgic adult eyes. Now MOTU is appealing to an older crowd, like Joe and TF.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    MOTU WAS for children back in the 80's, as was Transformers and G.I. Joe. But those kids are all grown up now and look on those characters with nostalgic adult eyes. Now MOTU is appealing to an older crowd, like Joe and TF.
    Yes, but It should always be suitable for children. They could do that without making the comics unnecessarily dark & violent. I don't see the need for it. The 200X comics appealed to both kids & adult fans.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Yes, but It should always be suitable for children. They could do that without making the comics unnecessarily dark & violent. I don't see the need for it. The 200X comics appealed to both kids & adult fans.
    I fully agree with this. If Mattel's main goal is to get people interested in MOTU again before the film comes out (via stuff like this comic), they're doing a terrible job so far. The comic is basically 13+...18+ suitable at times. A MOTU film needs the support of, not only current MOTU fans and people who remember it from their childhood, but a new breed of fans, which would be children. MOTU will not survive without kids getting interested in it.

This comic series would have been the PERFECT vehicle to satisfy adult fans and introducing the property to kids. It does make me sad, especially because most of the adult fans they seem to be pandering to hate this comic, especially Teela.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I fully agree with this. If Mattel's main goal is to get people interested in MOTU again before the film comes out (via stuff like this comic), they're doing a terrible job so far. The comic is basically 13+...18+ suitable at times. A MOTU film needs the support of, not only current MOTU fans and people who remember it from their childhood, but a new breed of fans, which would be children. MOTU will not survive without kids getting interested in it.

This comic series would have been the PERFECT vehicle to satisfy adult fans and introducing the property to kids. It does make me sad, especially because most of the adult fans they seem to be pandering to hate this comic, especially Teela.
    Me too; I don't mind it being a little more adult in tone (the MYP/Image/200x got it right, I'd say) - but I do object to it being so atrociously badly-written and critically at odds with the mythos.

I can think of ten-to-the-power-of-lots of ways of doing this better than DC. And I agree with your points; if it alienates existing fans (and just look at the reaction to the poll regarding figures based on the DC comics - roughly 80% opposed) and doesn't bring in new ones, then how is it supposed to last - or to bolster the brand?

The jury is still out - but I fear a capital verdict is on its way...

Widget
    TF is still in stores and still targets kids in addition to adults. My son really wants Transformers despite having never seen any shows. The toys appeal to him. I don't know much about the state of Joe. As others have responded to be really successful they need to appeal to adults and kids.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    You make a good point. Whether he's a one-note character, or they find a way to make him more mature, a dude named Stinkor is only going to be taken just so seriously.
    And it is completely hard to take a walking camera seriously as well.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    Don't just look at the numbers alone. Look at the pattern. Readership went DOWN every month...DC should take the hint and stop with all the "new and exciting change for the sake of change".

Same thing is going to happen for the ongoing. And regular "comic geeks" don't care about MOTU. Listen to any podcast and when it comes up the overwhelming sentiment is "oh, is that still around?". Crossover is going to be like spitting into the ocean.
    #1's probably always get the highest sales....I myself only bought the subscription to just have the books, I am not a fan of the ultra violence in the damn things....He-Man was never Conan level of bloodshed, and should have never been.

The violence in GI Joe & Transformers is still acceptable, and still within parameters from their original shows, just updated for today.... The new MOTU goes above and too far beyond anything I find acceptable in the violence category of Joe & Transformers....and far far beyond what MOTU should ever be.... Let's not forget WE are the older crowd....and likely the ONLY crowd MOTU will get....and I for one, don't like the new direction of MOTU. My son is 2, and he loves He-Man, the He-Man he sees on Filmation when we watch it....I would never let my son know about this new He-Man....and the violence surrounding it. Like it or not, the only adult audience for the most part He-Man has, is the ones that were around for the 80's....and He-Man was always and should always be a kid friendly type of show or anything. He-Man stood for honor and knowledge....now he's just a killer Barbarian that rips through anyone that is evil....cutting arms off and heads....sorry, this will never be my He-Man.

I'm a fan of He-Man, not Conan with supernatural powers. If I want bloodshed from a guy in a furry set of briefs, I'll watch him, not He-Man. It has nothing to do with nostalgia, and every bit of He-Man being a defender of good, but a guy who can solve things without running someone through just because....and that can still be accomplished for an "adult" audience.

The difference with Transformers and GI Joe is, you expect death, because since 1986in the TF movie, it really happens, to many favorites, to the point I hardly watched season 3, because I didn't care much for the new guys....so when you look at all the modern Transformers movies....when someone gets dead, you feel the emotion....but you come to expect it. In MOTU things can get violent without seeing a thousand people get ripped apart or watching blood flying on 30 out of 40 panels in the book....

Whatever, just my thoughts about it, disagree with me if you want, it won't change my feelings about the new direction of He-Man....I am just saying why, I feel that way. He-Man is He-Man, and to me, this is far from the He-Man I know and give a **** about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    And it is completely hard to take a walking camera seriously as well.
    Yeah, come on, what would you're first reaction be? I mean seriously....Eternians Gone Wild is being filmed? COOL!

....oh wait....that's a dude? I thought it was just a fancy new fangled camera stand....

Let's face it, if He-Man was real, and they came to earth, we'd all have a hard time not thinking there was some convention we missed hearing about....would be hard to take any of it seriously. But we're all here because we love that aspect of it one way or another.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I really wouldn't mind seeing the film be taken in this direction, but as with any property reimagined they need to go back to basics. Start small you know Eternia, greyskull, Adam/Randor/Keldor/Skeletor/Sorceress/Teela/Man-At-Arms/Evil-Lynn/Trap-Jaw/Beastman, maybe Orko or Stratos but honestly if you're going to include Orko he has to be done in a more serious tone, more like a vision or apparition that appears to He-man and friends when they need a mage. Stratos needs to have rockets too. Make him a bit like that Spawn character who's name escapes me, the one who was hired by Jason Wynn to kill Spawn. However a PG-13 would be great for Masters of the Universe, if they did it 300 esq. Hordak and Adora shouldn't even be thought of until the 2nd or 3rd movie. It's too jumping the sharky.

On second thought I think maybe yoda-fying Orko would be cool too, and have him be the wise old sage and also the secret bada$$
    Last edited by Blaster; June 8, 2013 at 04:24am.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    #1's probably always get the highest sales....I myself only bought the subscription to just have the books, I am not a fan of the ultra violence in the damn things....He-Man was never Conan level of bloodshed, and should have never been.

The violence in GI Joe & Transformers is still acceptable, and still within parameters from their original shows, just updated for today.... The new MOTU goes above and too far beyond anything I find acceptable in the violence category of Joe & Transformers....and far far beyond what MOTU should ever be.... Let's not forget WE are the older crowd....and likely the ONLY crowd MOTU will get....and I for one, don't like the new direction of MOTU. My son is 2, and he loves He-Man, the He-Man he sees on Filmation when we watch it....I would never let my son know about this new He-Man....and the violence surrounding it. Like it or not, the only adult audience for the most part He-Man has, is the ones that were around for the 80's....and He-Man was always and should always be a kid friendly type of show or anything. He-Man stood for honor and knowledge....now he's just a killer Barbarian that rips through anyone that is evil....cutting arms off and heads....sorry, this will never be my He-Man.

I'm a fan of He-Man, not Conan with supernatural powers. If I want bloodshed from a guy in a furry set of briefs, I'll watch him, not He-Man. It has nothing to do with nostalgia, and every bit of He-Man being a defender of good, but a guy who can solve things without running someone through just because....and that can still be accomplished for an "adult" audience.

The difference with Transformers and GI Joe is, you expect death, because since 1986in the TF movie, it really happens, to many favorites, to the point I hardly watched season 3, because I didn't care much for the new guys....so when you look at all the modern Transformers movies....when someone gets dead, you feel the emotion....but you come to expect it. In MOTU things can get violent without seeing a thousand people get ripped apart or watching blood flying on 30 out of 40 panels in the book....

Whatever, just my thoughts about it, disagree with me if you want, it won't change my feelings about the new direction of He-Man....I am just saying why, I feel that way. He-Man is He-Man, and to me, this is far from the He-Man I know and give a **** about.

- - - Updated - - -
    Agree with you entirely; He-Man never needed (or wanted) to kill because the Power he served granted him strength and skill at arms and wisdom so that he could triumph without doing so. That made him a noble and admirable figure - and that is how he must remain if the esential theme of MotU - the epic struggle of good and evil - is to have any meaning at all. There must be a clear difference between them.

I'm open to a certain amount of quasi-realism and violence (but in the Eternian - not modern Earth context) yet I feel that these comics offer very little by way of good writing, sound plotting or convincing charaterization - and simply make up for those deficiencies by splashing more blood about the place. It's the imperative of cataclysm; EVERY plot thus far is total destruction of Eternia and complete initial defeat for the good guys. First Skeletor and now the Horde - who - we are asked to believe - overwhelm the entire planet in a single day.... (!) Even France doesn't fall that fast.

This kind of thing does not constitute a framework for long term success. The MotU project should have been handled by a writer who knew and cared something about the Eternian mythos and was not prepared to treat it in such an offhand and irreverent manner. Oh - and who could write both script and dialogue; that would also help.