Page 30 of 67 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Honestly I don't see that at all, seems we live in different parallel universe, it's just your feeling and nothing more and you're giving this as a fact.

the reaction to these comics was overwhelmingly positive and the negative trend is smaller but it is just my feeling.
    And, the nature of subjectivity being as it is, my view is the contrary one; that there is a great deal of negativity and that the positive trend is smaller - and shrinking.
    But Quot homines, tot sententiae; (as many as there are men to express them there will be as many different opinions.)

Opinion - as expressed in foro is not being stated as fact; if I were attempting to do that then I would reference those facts in the approved manner. That is the essential difference between fact and opinion, is it not? That seems, to me at least, a significant difference - and not just of degree.

Sales numbers for Issue #2 are in. (not including digital sales)

(First mini-series)

Masters of the Universe #1 - 27,665
    Masters of the Universe #2 - 19,737
    Masters of the Universe #3 - 18,269
    Masters of the Universe #4 - 17,499
    Masters of the Universe #5 - 16,858
    Masters of the Universe #6 - 16,441

Masters of the Universe The Origin of Skeletor - 18,420
    Masters of the Universe The Origin of He-Man - 17,866

(Second mini-series with Despara)

Masters of the Universe #1 - 25,254
    Masters of the Universe #2 - 19,410

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...3/2013-05.html
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

(First mini-series)

Many thanks for posting that, Tallstar. It looks like history is rather repeating itself.

Heroic Warrior

(First mini-series)

Thanks for the numbers. I imagine the ongoing series will mirror the mini in terms of sales, which is pretty much what I expected. On another note, who knew that My Little Pony was so popular? The only licensed property that sold more copies was Star Wars.

What is incredible is that some comics which are more expesive than MOTU sell more!

Example : Green Lantern : $7.99 is 19th

Ok it is green lantern, so a much bigger audience than MOTU. BUt I'm sure if they put more money on the comics and sell it at $3.99 you would get something better. Just my 2cts
    Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Many thanks for posting that, Tallstar. It looks like history is rather repeating itself.
    People generally fall off after issue #1. They buy the book and see what the fuss is about. #2, #3, etc. rarely get more readers than the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by musclor.fr.st View Post
    What is incredible is that some comics which are more expesive than MOTU sell more!

Example : Green Lantern : $7.99 is 19th

Ok it is green lantern, so a much bigger audience than MOTU. BUt I'm sure if they put more money on the comics and sell it at $3.99 you would get something better. Just my 2cts
    That was Geoff John's final issue, so that was the reason it did so well. Geoff Johns turned Green Lantern around from a C-list comic to one of it's top books almost 10 years ago. It's success was so major that GL got a movie.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

This whole run of DC MOTU comics has been enjoyable to me. I fully expected story lines to be different than what has previously been established, so I'm not freaking out every time something is different than FILMation, MYP or any other canon.

Just like with MYP/MVC, I dislike pretty much all the redesigns and dislike quite a few of the "new" story ideas. However, what I dislike I keep out of my own personal canon and what I like, I keep.

I also enjoy the much needed (for MOTU) violence. Sure, some of it is a little over the top, but I like to somewhat believe what I'm reading even in a fantasy epic like MOTU. Heroic warriors battling Evil warriors with deadly weapons leads to death. I'm quite enjoying this realistic approach.

As far as the people condemning the violence, I get it if it's not your thing, but that doesn't make it bad or non MOTU. FILMation is my favorite version of He-Man/MOTU and I enjoy and appreciate the fact that violence isn't needed in that version of MOTU. That said, it was made for 5 year old kids and was never meant to be a realistic warrior epic. It was just meant to be fun for children.

He-Man killing bad guys, even low level henchmen doesn't bother me at all and doesn't diminish He-Man as a hero. I never considered Luke Skywalker not to be a hero when he shot and killed numerous Stormtroopers or when he was cutting down henchmen left and right on Jabba's sail barge. Why would I look at He-Man any differently?

These new comics definitely aren't exactly what I'd like, but I'm truly enjoying them for what they are, NEW MOTU stories!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

(First mini-series)

Good sales for a non-traditional comic brand and small brand as MOTU , in fact DC confirm an Ongoing series satisfied with the numbers of the last series, very similar to the current numbers.The motu average is 25.000/15.000 , with that numbers the series will survive .

anyway, the numbers do not mean the comics are good or bad, it simply means motu is a small brand .
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    And let's jump to your (Hordak Alpha's) point about Hordak's methods of conquering planets. Given the hostility that this series' supporters seem to have toward the original Filmation series I imagine this point will fall on deaf ears, but check out the Princess of Power episode "The Price of Freedom"--which I find to be one of the best Filmation episodes of either series. It goes into great depth concerning Hordak's willingness to "level cities, bringing about as much genocide as possible to get those he has allowed to live to kneel to him and proclaim his worship just to spare their lives." Further, the "logic" you allude to in your post is showcased brilliantly, with the townspeople's willingness to sacrifice material possessions in the face of superior war machines and depend on one another in a time of crisis (rather than enchanted heroes who may or may not make it in time).

All of these things--the things you and this series' supporters seem to be advocating as some form of realist depiction of war--were depicted in intelligent, thoughtful ways that did not alienate a significant portion of the existing fanbase, and didn't depend on decapitations (the Sorceress), favored characters (Battle-Cat) raking other favored characters across the face (Adora), and the murder of enslaved peoples. And, what's more, these notions were portrayed in a way that cemented the greater messages on morality in our minds, in a way that this drivel can never hope to achieve. (Of course, that assumes that there is a message on morality encoded in these stories and that they're not simply an excuse to debase women and connect with a mythical "new" audience.)

Finally, I'd really love to know what "familiar aspects" have been maintained? Castle Grayskull is no longer a mystical fortress of power that everyone's questing after, Orko's been turned into a Big Bad (of all absurd things), Hordak himself is completely unrecognizable (except in his quasi-origin story where he's Hordak with Batman's shadow), the Sorceress is dead and when she was alive she was dressed more like a dancer at the Moulin Rouge than an all-powerful oracle, the foppish and childlike naivete of the Prince Adam act is apparently true for both the prince AND He-Man (and yet he's still willing to kill random ordinary folks that have been enslaved by Evil-Lyn), there is no more secret identity, Teela's a vile piece of work that no one seems to like, Leech is some kind of humanoid zombie in the recent past but was a three-headed giant slug-monster in the past, Queen Marlena's MIA, Evil-Lyn is bat-**** crazy rather than the brilliant mastermind she used to be... Need I really continue?

I like the differences in this MOTU. It isn't adhering completely to everything that has come before, and that is what I like about it. I think the problem the fan base has been having with this new comic(I'm not attacking anyone or going out of my way to insult anyone here) is the fact that it isn't the He-Man they grew up with. I think some fans were expecting DC to come out with a new comic series of Masters of the Universe to be like things were in the 80's and the MYP/MVC era and, because it isn't like the old days, that is potentially why there has been such negative back lash from a section of the fan base.

Obviously, it isn't the entire fan base since there have been many who have voiced their interest in the comic book series.

And, really, it's okay for people not to like it. MOTU has so many incarnations for fans to take their pick to embrace.

I'm a fan who is attached to the MOTU franchise enough to cherish what it means to myself and others while at the same time I am a fan who is detached enough to be able to accept another version of it without blowing up about characters acting different. It's a new take. It's different.

As for the violence, well, it too is something different for MOTU and is something we haven't seen before since MOTU was always marketed to a younger audience. An adult audience can understand the reason for the violence, if they look at it from a logical perspective. But, I'm sure I'm going to get rebuffed again about how He-Man doesn't kill enemy warriors and yadda yadda yadda that I'm more than likely wasting my breath expressing my opinions about the whole issue.

What it comes down to is there is the fan base who holds on completely to the old MOTU and is going to be negative towards DC's book and then there is the fan base that loves everything MOTU and can accept the new DC book for what it is. We're never going to agree and that is fine.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I am so happy with the motu comics! I hope they will keep selling for many years! I have as an example the transformers comics.. It's issue sell around 11-13000 and this series is already 6-7 years alive!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Widget

(First mini-series)

How does this compare to the previous comics? I search and found Val saying it stabilized at 11,000-13,000. I was more impressed with those comics so I'm curious how they compare.

Even if you accept the violence, why does He-Man let Skeletor live? Wade through killing all sorts of grunts and then let the root cause live?

Either way I'll probably keep collecting. If not I'm probably find myself curious about it later and having to track it down.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    the reaction to these comics was overwhelmingly positive and the negative trend is smaller but it is just my feeling.
    I think the reaction to MOTU is the same as a lot of comics...people complain that it's the worst thing ever online, but in the real world the book is doing well.

Crazily enough, it's doing better than IDW's TF books which are excellent. It's probably because DC has a greater circulation than IDW does, because MOTU beats every other 80's property comic except My Little Pony.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beastman View Post
    I am so happy with the motu comics! I hope they will keep selling for many years! I have as an example the transformers comics.. It's issue sell around 11-13000 and this series is already 6-7 years alive!!
    TF comics were terrible a few years ago, when Mike Costa was writing it. In the first issue, Optimus Prime surrendered to humans leaving Bumblebee to lead the Autobots (instead of giving leadership to Prowl or Jazz) and Ironhide was killed. Costa eventually left TF after two years because he was feeling burnt out and couldn't relate to the characters, which were "a million year old extraterrestrial robots". Since then, with John Barber writing both ongoing TF books, they've improved remarkably.

Books can get better with new creative teams.

I think DC should learn from the TF books and get creators who actually care about MOTU and would do it justice. Unfortunately, I think something would ultimately hold them back from doing just that -- Mattel's "personal" vision of the property.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beastman View Post

I hope so too. If the DC book becomes the only medium for MOTU then so be it. If it becomes a title that can go on for years and years without interruption, that would make me content.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree...
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    All of this...
    Glad I am not alone on the hyper-violence issue.

To those who disagree, this is not simply dewy-eyed nostalgia. I am not opposed to all depictions of violence or to rebooting the MOTU brand.

I fully expect there to be violence in this story, but I object to the casual way violence is used, the severity of the violence shown, and the message about the role of violence. I am not asking for the DC comics to be identical to Filmation. I am asking for them to be crafted with more care and skill.

I appreciate Mattel's need to attract a wider audience to MOTU by trying new things, but these DC comics are poorly executed. I believe they need to be improved and not merely tolerated.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Still waiting for issues 1 and 2
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

cool article, thanks for the link! It will be interesting on how they connect Adam and Adora, as he has no clue as of yet!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Awesome article. I can't wait for number 3. I love these comics!

Cannot wait until Wednesday! I wish we were still getting three digital comics periodically because I want more from this universe.

Better with age!

DC MOTU is getting better with each issue.

Did something happen and there was a delay in #3???? I see it releases on Wed....but last month #2 was in the middle of the month....how did we loose 2 weeks?
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Sigh...I miss Yellow Cross He-Man already, knowing what is about to come next issue.

Blonde Teela returns (sans bikini)...even if it is a flashback. She even has her sword and gun too!

Young Adora is wearing She-Ra's costume...without the Tiara, cape, bracers or embelishments.

Y'know...remember when I mentioned that she might have been the only young female in the palace, which is why she stripped in front of Dekker, Duncan and Adam? There is no lust or being treated like a girl here. Teela is one of the guys. This preview confirms my suspicions.

Also interesting to note is that Comic Alliance is positive toward the comics.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 25, 2013 at 01:32am.

Look at the shadows of the 2 girls ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericius View Post
    I see it.

@ Teela and Adora being childhood friends.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericius View Post
    Very observant!