Page 31 of 69 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Heroic Warrior
    Yes those shadows are a nice touch. I may be in the minority but I really like the Adam/Teela banter. It really shows how close they are as friends.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Yes those shadows are a nice touch. I may be in the minority but I really like the Adam/Teela banter. It really shows how close they are as friends.
    Sure - though I do find the banter itself pretty dim-witted and modern Orange County rather than fitted to time and place.

My chief issue with it is that there is absolutely no difference in their speech pattern and content when Adam has taken up the Power and become He-Man. And that renders his heroic character as no more than a semi-educated teenager enhanced by an instant fix of steroids, flat and undifferentiated from Adam in character, but bulked-up to blue blazes. He-Man thus lacks gravity and depth - and interest.

This was an error that all past canons were careful to avoid (and indeed showed far greater sense in delineating the two roles and characters by keeping them separate and the link between them unknown to all but a few.) That approach has so much more going for it than this DC one in every single way!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Sure - though I do find the banter itself pretty dim-witted and modern Orange County rather than fitted to time and place.

My chief issue with it is that there is absolutely no difference in their speech pattern and content when Adam has taken up the Power and become He-Man. And that renders his heroic character as no more than a semi-educated teenager enhanced by an instant fix of steroids, flat and undifferentiated from Adam in character, but bulked-up to blue blazes. He-Man thus lacks gravity and depth - and interest.

This was an error that all past canons were careful to avoid (and indeed showed far greater sense in delineating the two roles and characters by keeping them separate and the link between them unknown to all but a few.) That approach has so much more going for it than this DC one in every single way!
    But isn't that what He-Man basically is anyway -- Prince Adam with a power-up? Mentally, He-Man is still Prince Adam, not his own personality or motivations akin to Yugi and the Pharoah in Yu-Gi-Oh or Bruce Banner and the Hulk. Only now, we don't have to see any irresponsibility or cowardice acts to protect his secret.

There is no disguise aspect any longer, so He-Man sounds just like Adam, instead of trying to be a different person. It's like if Clark Kent acted like Superman in the Daily Planet offices or if Bruce Wayne acted like Batman during Wayne Enterprises board meetings. Bwahahahahaha to that last example...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 25, 2013 at 02:34pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Wo said two blonde females would be indistinguishable? I think that flashback proves that's not true!

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Wo said two blonde females would be indistinguishable? I think that flashback proves that's not true!
    A bunch of fans trying to make a case for why Teela should have red hair. But that's a silly as saying that fans would confuse Fisto with Randor since both men have brown hair and full beards.

Hell, the original DC comics and mini-comics proved a good colorist can make the blonde hair on two characters look different.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    But isn't that what He-Man basically is anyway -- Prince Adam with a power-up? Mentally, He-Man is still Prince Adam, not his own personality or motivations akin to Yugi and the Pharoah in Yu-Gi-Oh or Bruce Banner and the Hulk. Only now, we don't have to see any irresponsibility or cowardice acts to protect his secret.

There is no disguise aspect any longer, so He-Man sounds just like Adam, instead of trying to be a different person. It's like if Clark Kent acted like Superman in the Daily Planet offices or if Bruce Wayne acted like Batman during Wayne Enterprises board meetings. Bwahahahahaha to that last example...

Well - no; it is (or should be) more subtle and shaded than that. The only analogies which are of anything more than tangential relevance here are the previous MotU canon incarnations - and they (not least the MYP/MVC incarnations) - which were perhaps aimed at a more literate and discerning audience than these DC offerings - were careful to draw nuanced gradations between Adam and He-Man; he was not just some mere power-up with apparent steroid issues!

Nor was it a matter of simply (and simplistically) 'pretending to be someone else'; He-Man's innate gravity of character stemmed from the burden he bore - which was demanding and hard on him; power is never an easy or light matter - and it told upon him (refs Shard of Darkness; Dark Reflections etc.) This was something Staples understood intrinsically and expressed in a deeply sympathetic and engaging way; we felt for He-Man AS the burdened hero AND for Adam as the eclipsed prince who was wistful for the approval he could never seek without endangering that which he was sworn to defend. They were the same - and - fascinatingly - different at the same time. In the hands of a talented writer that subtlety was vastly compelling.

All of this is missing in Giffen's - frankly - crass and dumbed-down approach. It is so simplistic as to be shallow and two-dimensional - which shows in his amateurish and cross-grained treament of the characterization. No wonder all falls so flat that he depends on btute carnage and inane banter to drag his plots along the floor. At best he underestimates his audience's powers of discernment; at worst he shows contempt for both audience and - unforgivably in my book - for Eternia.

Eternia deserves better; MotU deserves nothing BUT the best. And this is not it.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    A bunch of fans trying to make a case for why Teela should have red hair. But that's a silly as saying that fans would confuse Fisto with Randor since both men have brown hair and full beards.

Hell, the original DC comics and mini-comics proved a good colorist can make the blonde hair on two characters look different.
    Her hair in the flashback is "dirty" blonde or strawberry blonde, and put into a ponytail. Her hair is much closer to red than blonde. Also, MGM, at the beginning of the new MOTU comics, we didn't really know if it was Teela or She-Ra we were seeing. Gold/white outfit, bleach blonde/platinum blonde hair, she had a silver sword with a jewel in it...and no one mentioned the character's name for 3 issues or so. We all figured she was supposed to be Teela (which she turned out to be), but she was parading around with She-Ra's hair and sword.

Anyhow, my Comic Subscription MOTU issue #3 came in the mail today!!!

It's funny...I missed the shadows of "the two girls" when I read the issue, but noticed the shadow of little Teela (it's her all growed up ).
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Y'know...remember when I mentioned that she might have been the only young female in the palace, which is why she stripped in front of Dekker, Duncan and Adam? There is no lust or being treated like a girl here. Teela is one of the guys. This preview confirms my suspicions.
    I still think it's odd for a beautiful young woman to be stripping down to her underwear in front of her father and male friends. It may not be lust driven for the characters in the story, but it's obvious that titilation was the writer/artists intent for the readers.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I thought the dialogue between He-Man (Adam) and Teela was quite funny once I worked out who was talking!

I suspect the childish speak of He-Man is deliberate as he is trying to relate more closely with Teela who is telling her story of how she met Adora as a child.

I’ll also speculate that since the young Adora vanishes before Teela’s eyes on their first meeting that she is in control of her presence on Eternia and that she is capable of astral projection across space. She could therefore be exhibiting the Power of Grayskull! If correct I wonder if she uses either knowingly or sub-consciously some of the Power of Grayskull as Despara? It might explain how she exhibited superhuman strength in punching He-Man off the roof of the tower block and survived jumping from the same tower block roof without breaking bones unlike Teela back in issue #2.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Issue three looks very interesting. Also, great article.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    I thought the dialogue between He-Man (Adam) and Teela was quite funny once I worked out who was talking!

I suspect the childish speak of He-Man is deliberate as he is trying to relate more closely with Teela who is telling her story of how she met Adora as a child.

I’ll also speculate that since the young Adora vanishes before Teela’s eyes on their first meeting that she is in control of her presence on Eternia and that she is capable of astral projection across space. She could therefore be exhibiting the Power of Grayskull! If correct I wonder if she uses either knowingly or sub-consciously some of the Power of Grayskull as Despara? It might explain how she exhibited superhuman strength in punching He-Man off the roof of the tower block and survived jumping from the same tower block roof without breaking bones unlike Teela back in issue #2.
    Yes - but Giffen has He-Man speaking in this bizarre fashion almost all the time! It makes him simply Adam on steroids - and, frankly - that level of crassness and inanity is too low even for the shallow and flimsy character he has made of Adam. For He-Man it is entirely inappropriate.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes - but Giffen has He-Man speaking in this bizarre fashion almost all the time! It makes him simply Adam on steroids - and, frankly - that level of crassness and inanity is too low even for the shallow and flimsy character he has made of Adam. For He-Man it is entirely inappropriate.
    Well it looks to me that He-Man is just having fun with his friend's story. I don't see why that is inappropriate.

The comix is here ... well at least the digital version.

Not sure what to think ... Desparas haircut feels a little bit too plain and He-Man looks different in every panel (well at least in the first and second half where he looks more He-Man-ish) ... but I think the new Armor will be the Horde-Armor.

Cheers.

Well - no; it is (or should be) more subtle and shaded than that. The only analogies which are of anything more than tangential relevance here are the previous MotU canon incarnations - and they (not least the MYP/MVC incarnations) - which were perhaps aimed at a more literate and discerning audience than these DC offerings - were careful to draw nuanced gradations between Adam and He-Man; he was not just some mere power-up with apparent steroid issues!

Nor was it a matter of simply (and simplistically) 'pretending to be someone else'; He-Man's innate gravity of character stemmed from the burden he bore - which was demanding and hard on him; power is never an easy or light matter - and it told upon him (refs Shard of Darkness; Dark Reflections etc.) This was something Staples understood intrinsically and expressed in a deeply sympathetic and engaging way; we felt for He-Man AS the burdened hero AND for Adam as the eclipsed prince who was wistful for the approval he could never seek without endangering that which he was sworn to defend. They were the same - and - fascinatingly - different at the same time. In the hands of a talented writer that subtlety was vastly compelling.
    Well Adam was trying to protect those he loves from retribution by acting the fool. What I'm trying to say is that since there is no more disguise aspect, Adam doesn't have to pretend that he's someone else (He-Man) anymore to Teela and King Randor at this own expense. He can talk like he normally does, instead of acting all stoic. That is probably what we are seeing with the banter.

Heroic Warrior
    Well Adam was trying to protect those he loves from retribution by acting the fool. What I'm trying to say is that since there is no more disguise aspect, Adam doesn't have to pretend that he's someone else (He-Man) anymore to Teela and King Randor at this own expense. He can talk like he normally does, instead of acting all stoic. That is probably what we are seeing with the banter.
    Yes; I completely understand that; the disguise aspect is gone - though this in itself is not a positive move in many ways.
    All the same, there was more to the two-characters-contained-in-one than mere pretence. When Adam transformed he took on more than just the impressive appearance of He-Man; he took on also the benefits of the strength and (much of) the wisdom of the Elders. He also shouldered the vast burden of wielding a Power that could well prove to be too great for mortal hands - and with that the huge weight of responsibility and - inevitably - sorrow that goes with such a burden. This would inevitably have an impact on his character; it was not simply a matter of pretence but of a fundamental shift in outlook and stance. He was both Adam and He-Man - but, with the Power flowing through him, the latter predominated. Just look how well the MVC comics handled this compelling degree of subtlety.

By doing away with this (and why? Over-simplification? Dumbing-down? Sheer laziness?) Giffen loses much of the potential for vital dramatic tension. He also reduces He-Man to a carboard cut-out character without true depth. Is it REALLY meant to be He-Man who witters on in sub-teen argot like "My bad" ? If so - then how very demeaning - and how unfathomably lacking in understanding on the part of the author.

Unless, of course, he actually assumes that MotU readers are a pretty dim bunch and cannot cope with any degree of sophistication beyond surfer-speak.
    Entirely possible - given his past performance.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes; I completely understand that; the disguise aspect is gone - though this in itself is not a positive move in many ways.
    All the same, there was more to the two-characters-contained-in-one than mere pretence. When Adam transformed he took on more than just the impressive appearance of He-Man; he took on also the benefits of the strength and (much of) the wisdom of the Elders. He also shouldered the vast burden of wielding a Power that could well prove to be too great for mortal hands - and with that the huge weight of responsibility and - inevitably - sorrow that goes with such a burden. This would inevitably have an impact on his character; it was not simply a matter of pretence but of a fundamental shift in outlook and stance. He was both Adam and He-Man - but, with the Power flowing through him, the latter predominated. Just look how well the MVC comics handled this compelling degree of subtlety.

By doing away with this (and why? Over-simplification? Dumbing-down? Sheer laziness?) Giffen loses much of the potential for vital dramatic tension. He also reduces He-Man to a carboard cut-out character without true depth. Is it REALLY meant to be He-Man who witters on in sub-teen argot like "My bad" ? If so - then how very demeaning - and how unfathomably lacking in understanding on the part of the author.

Unless, of course, he actually assumes that MotU readers are a pretty dim bunch and cannot cope with any degree of sophistication beyond surfer-speak.
    Entirely possible - given his past performance.
    Well to be fair, the MYP series/MVC Comics tell the story of Adam/He-Man early in his career. The He-Man in the DC Comics appears to have been around for some time, kind of like in Filmation. So he may have already come to terms of what you are talking about. I guess my viewpoint of Adam/He-Man is different than yours, I don't understand why the way he talks is demeaning. He is talking that way to his best friend Teela, not his father or the Sorceress.

Heroic Warrior
    And yet, were it merely a matter of added maturity over time, wouldn't He-Man be even more likely to speak like an adult and less likely to witter on like a 12-year old?
    It's a question of differentiated characterization - and of vocabulary and speech patterns appropriate to those themes.

But, yes - we clearly have different viewpoints on this matter; fair enough!

I'm okay with the lack of transformation, in fact I've always kind of preferred He-Man without it. Of course, my initial love for MOTU comes from the original mini-comics so I'm a little biased If there is a transformation, I've always liked the idea that as Adam grows into the "He-Man" role that eventually he no longer needs to transform. He IS He-Man. In that instance, Adam and He-Man are not two separate entities like the Hulk/Banner example given earlier, but rather he is Adam, Prince of Eternia, the He-Man. I think that's the vibe these comics are trying to go with, although I do feel that they are rushing things a little in that aspect.

As far as the Adam/Teela banter, I like it only because it really exposes Adam's weakness...Teela. We've only seen He-man in limited interaction with other characters so far, but he only really gets "stupid" around Teela. I think it not only displays Teela's strong character, but also He-Man/Adam's feelings towards her. Not so much now that I've been married, but I certainly remember getting tongue tied and whatnot around my wife when we were dating. I'm sure some of you other fellas (or even ladies) can relate to that While some of the dialogue is a tick more simplistic than I'd prefer (He-Man's "my bad" line for example), I think I understand the intent behind it. No matter if Adam is He-man or not, Teela will always be that person in his life that keeps him grounded, the one he'd do anything for, and ultimately (I'd like to think) the impetus that makes him want to become that heroic He-man that we all know and love.

Goodness, too much writing for one morning, LOL
    Last edited by He-Man54; June 26, 2013 at 11:30am.

He also reduces He-Man to a carboard cut-out character without true depth. Is it REALLY meant to be He-Man who witters on in sub-teen argot like "My bad" ? If so - then how very demeaning - and how unfathomably lacking in understanding on the part of the author.
    I couldn't agree more. Where are the days that MOTU dialogue sounded thusly: "Hold on, Sire! Thank the Fates you're alive".
    Slang just isn't befitting of a tale that is so epic in nature.

And, good sir, your inbox is full
    Last edited by Crusader; June 26, 2013 at 11:09am.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Where are the days that MOTU dialogue sounded thusly: "Hold on, Sire! Thank the Fates you're alive".
    Slang just isn't befitting of a tale that is so epic in nature.

And, good sir, your inbox is full
    At least it isn't STAR Comics where we see the word "dude".

In all fairness, we're only 3 issues in to the monthly series...give it time

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I really enjoyed this issue - the series seems to be getting better with each one. I'm actually interested in the characters now in this new canon. I think the writing was tighter in this issue as well and Teela seems to have been toned down.

Really liking this version of Hordak and Shadow Weaver. Also nice to see King Randor in his 200X-esque outfit.

Also I'm liking how Roboto's coming across - I like his redesign and how he was used in this issue. The Teela and Despara angle is an interesting one to take and I like it.

Looking forward to the next one.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

I've put up an Issue#3 Talkback thread, where we can discuss issue#3. There is also the New 52 Teela Unappreciation thread too, if you want to discuss all things New 52 Teela!

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    UGH!!! I love the vintage STAR comics and the artwork, but the freaking dialogue truthfully is......cringeworthy. : P I've bought vintage STAR issues of both MOTU and Thundercats and the dialogue in Thundercats was written better.

Now, as for today's issue. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought this issue was a whole lot of fun packaged in 20 or less pages.

We get mystery concerning young Adora and just how she was disappearing and reappearing in that garden to the young Teela, we get the first spoken word appearances of both Mekaneck and Roboto. I'm not the greatest Mekaneck fan, but I don't hate him. Teela obviously does for some reason. : P

We also get some comfort to Sorceress fans with the reveal that she is still fully in existence and more in touch with Castle Grayskull than before. And, another comfort for those who got irritated with the previous MOTU mini-series when it came to He-Man proclaiming that the 'Power' is inside him only with the Sorceress revealing a depth of Castle Grayskull's power that seems to have been hidden to He-Man himself. Also get a reason for the new armor He-Man is going to be seen in during the upcoming DCU Vs. MOTU. The appearance of the power sword in the vision made me think of the sword during the second season of the MYP cartoon when it opened up with that hidden power source. Over all, I thought it was a great issue.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

The reason for He-man looking different is because there are 2 artist for this issue Pop Mhan and Mateo Guerrero. If u look at the page with the title it shows that. I think pop got ill and needed help for this issue. U can clearly see the beginning and end is his work.