Page 34 of 70 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Is the "H" on He-Man's chest suppose to be a bird now, or am I just seeing things

I'm sorry, but that He-Man costume and power sword are just terrible. He looks like the love child of Iron Man and Thor. This version of He-Man seems to be suffering from a serious identity crisis.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; July 9, 2013 at 03:32am.

UGH Can we just please have the classic looks back for these characters!! What is up with Teela's space armour! Did someone forget that MotU is a Sci-Fi AND Barbarian mix?!?!
    When I first saw this pic I didn't even think it was Teela.

I googled Kayanan, he has some cool barbaric art
    https://www.google.co.za/search?q=RA...Eefd7QacjICwBg
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I guess the comics might bend to fan pressure. First Teela gets her hair changed from blonde to red, now she's got a full costume.

All we need to do now is to complain harder to get the original costumes back.

- - - Updated - - -

This will make Scriptor's day!
    Why, thanks for the thought, kind sir! My day is duly made!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    By the Ancients !!! Giffen is gone

And with Dan Abnett in the game, things might shape up for Eternia after all
    I sure hope he sends the Ironman-armour back to the pits from whence it came, along with that dreadful new Horde-sword or whatever it is supposed to be.
    I don't think it's an improvement at all. DC should have stripped He-Man of his armour instead of covering up Teela. They are both supposed to be scantily clad barbarians, not teenagers tinned in fur adorned robot-suits.
    I could not agree more; exit the Giffen - now - with any luck - we shall soon see the back of this IronManCosplay romper-suit rip-off and return to a He-Man recognizable in appearance, character and speech. Haste the day!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Only in the strange universe of He-Man fans Giffen is a bad writer.

I'm sure we'll see She-Ra in this new arc because the Horde is involved in all this once again.
    But it is principally in the universe of WRITERS that Giffen is seen as a particularly bad one....

(Though I do agree with you about Despara; I doubt very much that she will be killed - it closes down too many narrative possibilities. My guess is that she will return to join the rebellion on Etheria.)

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'm liking Teela's "Woman-At-Arms" gear - it similar to a design I did a 6-7 years ago Also liking Stratos' flight helmet/mask. Can't wait for this crossover to kick off.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

I love these new designs !!!! Very cool !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    UGH Can we just please have the classic looks back for these characters!! What is up with Teela's space armour! Did someone forget that MotU is a Sci-Fi AND Barbarian mix?!?!
    When I first saw this pic I didn't even think it was Teela.
    Or, indeed, He-Man...

It does seem perverse that, with an instantly recognizable and iconic look stretching back 30 years ready to hand, they try to inflict this dull, generic DC superhero imprint on the character. It could be anybody at all - but especially the 'love child of Thor and Iron man' as Captain Atkin correctly says!

It also interesting that DC and Mattel are BOTH hastily denying that the 'new look' is their fault and each busily blaming the other. It suggests that they already realize that it has been a failure - and that it won't last. Perhaps the end of this series will see a return to a more classic, iconic look.

Let us hope so!

I like the new looks especially Teela's. It's WAY better than her old one in the comic. Although it leads me to think Duncan is killed trying to save her from the Horde.

I also wonder what'll happen to She-ra. I don't want her to be a plot point for the comic and then forgotten about. Hopefully all this push is a sign of using her more.

Also, I know Giffen is writing Justice League 300 due in October so him leaving is a way of managing his workload considering he has another book to write.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Ugh @ the confrontation between Teela and Wonder Woman. So much for looking at the comments/polls to see what the majority wanted. Guessing Mattel pushed for that one.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

WHAT have they done to MotU??? I am shocked....

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Wait, written by Dan Abnett? HELL YES! I can try it out again. One of my favorite writers, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Dan Abnett OMG that is amazing. If you guys have not read Horus Rising or other works by Dan you are missing some of the best science fiction in the past 30 years
    Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    Yes! Absolutely agreed!
    I don't believe that I've ever read any comics written by him, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shokoti's Slave View Post
    Who knows? With Dan Abnett around, maybe Teela won't be such a (censored) in the guise of a heroine.
    Dan Abnett, who is being told what to write by Mattel. Just like we had Keith Giffen and James Robinson, guys who have these great reputations as comic book writers. Chris Claremont and Jim Lee could be the creative team and the comic would still have that "editorial interference".

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow View Post
    I prefer scantily clad Teela
    Me too. I'm a pig. Hell, I want scantily clad He-Man back too.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I like Teela's armored look. Looks like there is another variant to add to the list.
    Indeed...we have Shipwrecked Teela, Normal DC 52 Teela and now Armored Teela.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Ugh @ the confrontation between Teela and Wonder Woman. So much for looking at the comments/polls to see what the majority wanted. Guessing Mattel pushed for that one.
    It's Leading Lady vs Leading Lady. Teela is around from the start, while Despara has spend issues to become She-Ra. Guess who's Leading Lady?

She-Ra's nature as this late reveal hurts her. That's why this poll was so split down the middle. It wasn't one-sided at all.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 9, 2013 at 08:33am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Dan Abnett, who is being told what to write by Mattel. Just like we had Keith Giffen and James Robinson, guys who have these great reputations as comic book writers. Chris Claremont and Jim Lee could be the creative team and the comic would still have that "editorial interference".

Editorial creative-input interference is the bane of almost every writer's life - usually the price of doing well-enough to be able to write for a living. It's seldom good news, unless editors stick to actual editing - not writing by proxy.

But I agree; we should restrain our natural desire to put out bunting in the streets to celebrate the departure of the Giffen from Eternia until we see what emerges next. As you say, Abnett may be good - but will DC/Mattel actually allow him to be so? We shall see....

However; at least the dialogue must surely get better; I never saw such a feeble-minded attempt to capture the argot of teen-speak as Giffen's. It read like third-rate parody and was, in any case, completely inappropriate to the epic nature of the setting and overall context.

I just have an old-fashioned preference in favour of a He-Man who LOOKS like He-Man, SPEAKS like He-Man and ACTS like He-Man (not as the sidekick to some luridly overwritten and atrociously mis-characterized hyper-*****) And I suspect that I share this preference with thousands of others, fans and casual adherents alike.

It's Leading Lady vs Leading Lady. Teela is around from the start, while Despara has spend issues to become She-Ra. Guess who's Leading Lady?

She-Ra's nature as this late reveal hurts her. That's why this poll was so split down the middle. It wasn't one-sided at all.
    The thing is, they could have had Teela fighting against some other character(s) to save the specialness of Wonder Woman for She-Ra, who won the poll as lead female for the MOTU franchise as well as the one specifically asking who Wonder Woman should fight. (Not to mention how there's more comments/art about She-Ra vs Wonder Woman around the web than Teela vs Wonder Woman)

http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...68#post3282668

In one of the interviews I thought it was said they weren't too keen on having Teela confront Wonder Woman. Sounds like Mattel pushed to make it happen.

The thing is, they could have had Teela fighting against some other character(s) to save the specialness of Wonder Woman for She-Ra, who won the poll as lead female for the MOTU franchise as well as the one specifically asking who Wonder Woman should fight. (Not to mention how there's more comments/art about She-Ra vs Wonder Woman around the web than Teela vs Wonder Woman)

http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...68#post3282668

In one of the interviews I thought it was said they weren't too keen on having Teela confront Wonder Woman. Sounds like Mattel pushed to make it happen.
    Probably did.

She-Ra is currently winning an extremely close poll by five votes. Not five hundred, not five thousand. FIVE. That's one hell of a division as to who people think is the number female in MOTU. Not to mention that the poll isn't done yet. Six fans who think Teela is the top female could vote and change everything.

This is like our version of Rumble is Red/Frenzy is Blue (toy) or Rumble is Blue/Frenzy is Red (cartoon).

Probably did.

She-Ra is currently winning an extremely close poll by five votes. Not five hundred, not five thousand. FIVE. That's one hell of a division as to who people think is the number female in MOTU. Not to mention that the poll isn't done yet. Six fans who think Teela is the top female could vote and change everything.

This is like our version of Rumble is Red/Frenzy is Blue (toy) or Rumble is Blue/Frenzy is Red (cartoon).
    But the other poll about who Wonder Woman should fight wasn't close at all. She-Ra: 62.50%. Teela: 28.57%. The overall points being that these were the results at the time of the decision and that folks had ample time to vote.

Me too. I'm a pig. Hell, I want scantily clad He-Man back too.
    Me too. I'M a pig!
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Bring on the new MOTU!

But the other poll about who Wonder Woman should fight wasn't close at all. She-Ra: 62.50%. Teela: 28.57%. The overall points being that these were the results at the time of the decision and that folks had ample time to vote.
    One poll is talking about popularity, the other is who'd make a better match-up in a fight. She-Ra vs Wonder Woman isn't the one-sided fight that Teela vs Wonder Woman is.

We have new .org members who join the .org all the time and some of the current .org members who post regularly might not be aware of the poll. DVD put in his vote for She-Ra 6 days ago. Both characters can get more votes, although most of the mainstay .org members probably have voted already.

If it were Teela who were five votes ahead of She-Ra, would you be thinking that all the She-Ra fans had ample time to vote?

Is DC insisting on atrocious dialogue, too?

Look, Abnett is a great writer of all sorts of things, including comics. Will he be given strong editorial direction on plotlines? Probably, with the way DC is set up these days. But that's always happened, to an extent. But Marvel has been much looser, and Abnett has put out great work long before editorial reigns were so tight. So that means nothing. My problem with the current comic is in the execution, not the plot lines themselves. The plot for the mini seemed really cool. The plot with Despara does, too. It's the execution is where it's all falling down, and of the many things I've read of Abnett's, I'd be VERY surprised if it's the train wreck that Giffen's work has been unless he just does not get the characters at all, either.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

One poll is talking about popularity, the other is who'd make a better match-up in a fight. She-Ra vs Wonder Woman isn't the one-sided fight that Teela vs Wonder Woman is.
    The purpose of referencing the poll on popularity was to show that She-Ra won the 'Leading Lady' title (She has been leading for quite awhile), and therefore it's just yet another reason why it makes sense to pair her with DC's leading lady. And, I mean, it's not as if I'm using these two polls as the sole indicators. They merely add to the overall evidence supporting the notion that there's always been more interest in She-Ra vs Wonder Woman than Teela vs Wonder Woman, as evidenced by comments and artwork around the web. Having a never-ending poll that waits on more and more new people to vote wouldn't change the overall picture.

The purpose of referencing the poll on popularity was to show that She-Ra won the 'Leading Lady' title (She has been leading for quite awhile), and therefore it's just yet another reason why it makes sense to pair her with DC's leading lady. And, I mean, it's not as if I'm using these two polls as the sole indicators. They merely add to the overall evidence supporting the notion that there's always been more interest in She-Ra vs Wonder Woman than Teela vs Wonder Woman, as evidenced by comments and artwork around the web. Having a never-ending poll that waits on more and more new people to vote wouldn't change the overall picture.
    The popularity poll and the Wonder Woman vs poll are two different things. One is popularity and the other is a fight. Teela might be seen as the top female by a bunch of fans, but she'd make a one-sided match up against WW (but who knows...maybe DC vs MOTU can make the match exciting somehow. Once Batman vs Superman was considered one-sided too).

Speaking of the popularity poll, Teela's catching up. She just got two votes, just by our mentioning the poll and providing a link. That reeeeally thin margin just got even thinner.

Nope, the race isn't over yet so long as there are people who join the .org and haven't voted yet.

She-Ra has been leading the vote for main female character for over a year and close to two years. I think the fact that she's leading at all says a lot for her importance and popularity. On a forum with a lot more MOTU only fans than POP only fans, She-Ra is still leading.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

The popularity poll and the Wonder Woman vs poll are two different things. One is popularity and the other is a fight. Teela might be seen as the top female by a bunch of fans, but she'd make a one-sided match up against WW (but who knows...maybe DC vs MOTU can make the match exciting somehow. Once Batman vs Superman was considered one-sided too).

Speaking of the popularity poll, Teela's catching up. She just got two votes, just by our mentioning the poll and providing a link. That reeeeally thin margin just got even thinner.

Nope, the race isn't over yet so long as there are people who join the .org and haven't voted yet.
    But again, what matters is what the results/facts were at the time that Mattel made the decision. I'm not sure why it seems like all the outside factors previously mentioned are irrelevant to you? It's those factors that cause Teela to be edged out. In part, this should be looked at from a pop culture standpoint. Plus, now that they've already used the Teela vs Wonder Woman pairing in this story arc, some objectivity can potentially be lost with the voting from here on out.

I think what bugs me about this, (aside from the idea that some impact is lost if Mattel ever decides to pair She-Ra with Wonder Woman in the future), is the attempt to reposition Teela with a potential new generation of readers. Often times, the result is that new readers think: "This is how it's always been." Then as the audience grows, what came before starts to fade.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    She-Ra has been leading the vote for main female character for over a year and close to two years. I think the fact that she's leading at all says a lot for her importance and popularity. On a forum with a lot more MOTU only fans than POP only fans, She-Ra is still leading.
    It was dead even in January. The voting goes back and forth as people discover the poll and vote.

What I'm saying is that She-Ra's place as the main female character is so divided. She's winning so far, but by the thinnest of margins--right now, it's 3 votes.

What I'm saying is that She-Ra's place as the main female character is so divided. She's winning so far, but by the thinnest of margins--right now, it's 3 votes.
    My point, is that even on a site like this with fans who have a clear bias towards MOTU over POP, She-Ra is still leading the vote. That speaks volumes.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

But again, what matters is what the results/facts were at the time that Mattel made the decision. I'm not sure why it seems like all the outside factors previously mentioned are irrelevant to you? It's those factors that cause Teela to be edged out. In part, this should be looked at from a pop culture standpoint. Plus, now that they've already used the Teela vs Wonder Woman pairing in this story arc, some objectivity can potentially be lost with the voting from here on out.
    Like I've said twice before, one poll is popularity and the other poll is a fight. Just because Teela could be the first female you think about when "He-Man" or "Masters of the Universe" is mentioned doesn't mean that she can beat Wonder Woman.

I think what bugs me about this, (aside from the idea that some impact is lost if Mattel ever decides to pair She-Ra with Wonder Woman in the future), is the attempt to reposition Teela with a potential new generation of readers. Often times, the result is that new readers think: "This is how it's always been." Then as the audience grows, what came before starts to fade.
    Since things are so close, you ever think that MOTU could have TWO leading ladies? I mean, we're talking damn near Jean Grey vs Storm here. That could be the goal in future MOTU media since Despara and Teela are so dominant.