Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Since things are so close, you ever think that MOTU could have TWO leading ladies? I mean, we're talking damn near Jean Grey vs Storm here. That could be the goal in future MOTU media since Despara and Teela are so dominant.
    Elsewhere I've stated that it feels like Mattel is trying to do "Triplets of Power." Really not digging that. :/
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    My point, is that even on a site like this with fans who have a clear bias towards MOTU over POP, She-Ra is still leading the vote. That speaks volumes.
    Okay, I see your point. I'd like to add that the Filmation fandom balances out some of the MOTU/POP toyline bias.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I'd like to think it starts out as Teela vs. Wonder Woman, then Teela gets her arse handed to her and the newly revealed She-Ra swoops in and saves the day!

I can dream, right?

Okay, I see your point. I'd like to add that the Filmation fandom balances out some of the MOTU/POP toyline bias.
    The FILMation fandom might be slighly more balanced, but I still see plenty of MOTU FILMation fans who hate on the She-Ra series.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Elsewhere I've stated that it feels like Mattel is trying to do "Triplets of Power." Really not digging that. :/
    Nowadays, I think it's more like having TWO strong female leads. We even have both a She-Ra AND Teela model at SDCC... But seriously, one lead is in everything MOTU related and the other lead has the pop culture nod. Even the hardcore fans can't seem to decide who is bigger, so you might as well use them both.

In Filmation, Teela had always been positioned as a major character who could become a much bigger character, only nothing has been really done with it For The Sake of Preserving The Status Quo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    I'd like to think it starts out as Teela vs. Wonder Woman, then Teela gets her arse handed to her and the newly revealed She-Ra swoops in and saves the day!

I can dream, right?
    That could be the plan...

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    The FILMation fandom might be slighly more balanced, but I still see plenty of MOTU FILMation fans who hate on the She-Ra series.
    Wild...I didn't know that. Usually, I've seen people accept Filmation MOTU and POP as one and the same.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Just because Teela could be the first female you think about when "He-Man" or "Masters of the Universe" is mentioned doesn't mean that she can beat Wonder Woman.
    Right, so why would Mattel choose to pit her against Wonder Woman instead of She-Ra in the first place, when even die-hard Teela fans would admit she has no chance of winning?

If She-Ra doesn't show up at some point, Mattel & DC dropped the ball with this crossover.

Many think Teela is no match for Wonder Woman but if Teela gets to have the magical powers of her mother and this combined with her skills as a warrior, her chances increase.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; July 9, 2013 at 05:35pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Ah ha, they headed towards the portal to the regular DC universe and the bouncer named Bob Harras told Teela she ain't gettin' in here without any pants on, this is a kid-friendly place y'konw....oh er um, please pay no attention to the psycho clown who appears to have carved his own face off and put it back on like a mask...kid friendly
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Right, so why would Mattel choose to pit her against Wonder Woman instead of She-Ra in the first place, when even die-hard Teela fans would admit she has no chance of winning?

If She-Ra doesn't show up at some point, Mattel & DC dropped the ball with this crossover.
    Because as of right now she Ra doesnt exist as we know her, correct? DC probably didn't want to use her in the comic because she isn't a character yet.

Personally, I think cross overs are dumb. I've never liked them. Not one.

I have no idea who the guy is who is writing the comic. Oh well. I don't mind the new look. I'm willing to try new things when it comes to the comic. The only thing I ask is that the story move forward.... I don't need the same tired stories from the 80s.I watched them on tv when I was a kid. I dont need to read them.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I like both She-Ra and Teela, but to me this is nothing more complex than: "In this particular MOTU Vs DC story, it's the old-school MOTU gang against the old-school JL gang". She-Ra's probably simply just not a part of this particular storyline, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    Er ... aren't we perhaps somewhat off-topic with all this crossover discussion? I mean, isn't there already a separate thread for the Crossover, not the Ongoing series?

Personally, I don't like crossovers either; jolly enough juvenile fun in some ways, I suppose - but actually deeply silly and - to be frank - after the recent disasters MotU has endured at the hands of the DC comics, I can't help but think that it would be far, far better if they stuck to one storyline at time and tried harder to get at least THAT right.......

I don't believe that the brand is strongly enough re-established as yet to warrant this kind of diffuse approach. What does it actually add to the Eternian mythos? Precious little. And, at worst, it simply makes the whole thing look shallow and ephemeral - even vapid - and MotU needs to be stronger and better-founded to weather the recent false start. Subsuming it to the DCU is really not going to help MotU at all, in my view.

Far better to keep the context separate; that way there is at least some chance of the mythos again being taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post

MotU needs to be stronger and better-founded to weather the recent false start.
    What false start?
    MOTULA.ORG

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post

I have no idea who the guy is who is writing the comic. Oh well. I don't mind the new look. I'm willing to try new things when it comes to the comic. The only thing I ask is that the story move forward.... I don't need the same tired stories from the 80s.I watched them on tv when I was a kid. I dont need to read them.
    Exactly why I've been one of the ones embracing the new comic series. The classic stuff is great and should stay as is and as the foundation. Now it's time for new stories to add something more to MOTU and make it bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Er ... aren't we perhaps somewhat off-topic with all this crossover discussion? I mean, isn't there already a separate thread for the Crossover, not the Ongoing series?

Personally, I don't like crossovers either; jolly enough juvenile fun in some ways, I suppose - but actually deeply silly and - to be frank - after the recent disasters MotU has endured at the hands of the DC comics, I can't help but think that it would be far, far better if they stuck to one storyline at time and tried harder to get at least THAT right.......

I don't believe that the brand is strongly enough re-established as yet to warrant this kind of diffuse approach. What does it actually add to the Eternian mythos? Precious little. And, at worst, it simply makes the whole thing look shallow and ephemeral - even vapid - and MotU needs to be stronger and better-founded to weather the recent false start. Subsuming it to the DCU is really not going to help MotU at all, in my view.

Far better to keep the context separate; that way there is at least some chance of the mythos again being taken seriously.

I don't know. I think the idea of this cross over is somewhat original since it hasn't been done before. How many times has there been any officially Mattel sanctioned cross overs between MOTU and any other franchise ever?? NONE! We never got that official MOTU and Thundercats, or MOTU and TMNT, or MOTU and Silverhawks or MOTU and MASK.....list goes on.

MOTU's cross over with the DCU is an interesting idea. Yes, He-Man and Superman met ONCE in the early 80's, but the story was nothing more than a typical DC story where Superman can beat up everybody. I like it for the time period it was set in, but thought the way the story was handled was insulting to the MOTU franchise. He-Man getting beat up in a three panel fight and Superman solves the Skeletor problem when He-Man couldn't was just asinine.

I just hope this cross over is done much better than the times DC and Marvel did cross over stories. The idea of the Justice League joining forces with the Avengers was cool, but the plot was a bit confusing and weird. The main villain's intentions of that story made absolutely no sense. I hope things make sense in the MOTU and DCU story.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Fellows, I hate to be the bearer of ill tidings but it appears that Giffen isn't gone for good

From Pop Mhan:
    Peeps: relax. I haven't been fired from He-man. Issues 7-12 are a story arc from the fabulous Dan Abnett. Truth be told, I'd love to work with Dan, drawing those issues too. However, during the time Dan and crew are doing their issues, Keith and I will be getting ahead. This break was slated in the schedule months ago. End of public service announcement.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Oh well.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. Oh well.
    I suppose that it's possible that he simply means that they will only be "getting ahead" with the Crossover.....?
    Last edited by Scriptor; July 9, 2013 at 08:15pm.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Many think Teela is no match for Wonder Woman but if Teela gets to have the magical powers of her mother and this combined with her skills as a warrior, her chances increase.
    The power levels are more of a secondary issue to me.

Here's where I am with it: My hope has always been that Wonder Woman's first apperance in the world of MOTU or POP would be an epic event intertwined with She-Ra, either as an enemy, initially, or a friendly team-up from the start. The current pairing in this new story arc feels like something of a waste, because Teela vs Wonder Woman has never really registered on a pop culture level and very few people on here even like this "version" of the character.

I wasn't really anticipating that She-Ra would be appearing in this particular story arc, but I have to say that I was relieved and happy when Giffen tried to convey that he didn't want to do what was expected with the whole Teela/Wonder Woman thing. That left the door open for She-Ra to be the first to confront Wonder Woman in some future issue.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post

This whole crossover is merely publicity. DC gets to sell another Justice League book and Mattel gets to pimp their characters to comic book fans in a big way. Teela vs Wonder Woman is one Alpha Woman versus another Alpha Woman. This is basically Storm versus Wonder Woman or Wolverine versus Lobo.

Good reminder that this isn't our "standard" MOTU canon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I wasn't really anticipating that She-Ra would be appearing in this particular story arc, but I have to say that I was relieved and happy when Giffen tried to convey that he didn't want to do what was expected with the whole Teela/Wonder Woman thing. That left the door open for She-Ra to be the first to confront Wonder Woman in some future issue.
    That could either mean that Teela probably wouldn't be the one-sided fight with Diana that we are all expecting OR that Teela might get her ass kicked before She-Ra shows up in the last splash page and challenges WW.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Those redesigns and the "art" just keep getting worse.

Even my GIRLFRIEND gets it!!!

I showed her the pic and simply said "Impressions?"

Her response..."What is the HELL is that??? Who's getting cute with He-Man? He's a freaking barbarian, not an adult playing dress-up at a convention!"

That's about all that needs to be said...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Just wanted to say I have POP Mhan as a friend on Facebook, it's a very nice guy and very talented, just look at his art gallery to notify that.
    it's not necessary to remember He made ​​the last cover of the Ongoing, which is one of the best covers of the year.

Here is a some art by POP "lack of talent"Mhan

Last edited by heavy-eternium; July 10, 2013 at 05:54pm.
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    Those redesigns and the "art" just keep getting worse.

Even my GIRLFRIEND gets it!!!

I showed her the pic and simply said "Impressions?"

Her response..."What is the HELL is that??? Who's getting cute with He-Man? He's a freaking barbarian, not an adult playing dress-up at a convention!"

That's about all that needs to be said...
    I would add that He-Man isn't a Barbarian. He's a prince of a royal family where people regularly mix tech with fantasy. He has a robot teammate. His best friend creates futuristic weapons and wears a body suit. Armor wouldn't be that out of the ordinary. Neither would pants.

If you think He-Man's a barbarian, you're ignoring the complete change to his character that Filmation made, in my opinion.

Heroic Warrior
    Sales data for MOTU issue #3 and Origin of Hordak are out:

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe issue #3: 18,277
    Master of the Universe Origin of Hordak: 17,113

Looks to me the ongoing will have similar sales to the miniseries, maybe a bit higher. Meanwhile DC's first issue of Superman Unchained sold 251,456 copies! I had no idea comics still reached such a high figure nowadays.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Exactly why I've been one of the ones embracing the new comic series. The classic stuff is great and should stay as is and as the foundation. Now it's time for new stories to add something more to MOTU and make it bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know. I think the idea of this cross over is somewhat original since it hasn't been done before. How many times has there been any officially Mattel sanctioned cross overs between MOTU and any other franchise ever?? NONE! We never got that official MOTU and Thundercats, or MOTU and TMNT, or MOTU and Silverhawks or MOTU and MASK.....list goes on.

MOTU's cross over with the DCU is an interesting idea. Yes, He-Man and Superman met ONCE in the early 80's, but the story was nothing more than a typical DC story where Superman can beat up everybody. I like it for the time period it was set in, but thought the way the story was handled was insulting to the MOTU franchise. He-Man getting beat up in a three panel fight and Superman solves the Skeletor problem when He-Man couldn't was just asinine.

I just hope this cross over is done much better than the times DC and Marvel did cross over stories. The idea of the Justice League joining forces with the Avengers was cool, but the plot was a bit confusing and weird. The main villain's intentions of that story made absolutely no sense. I hope things make sense in the MOTU and DCU story.
    Yeah I liked the JLA/Avengers crossover but it was very confusing. I think parts of it were also part of DC's continuity, which was pretty strange. Since the DC/MOTU crossover is not in continuity, I imagine it will be more straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    I would add that He-Man isn't a Barbarian. He's a prince of a royal family where people regularly mix tech with fantasy. He has a robot teammate. His best friend creates futuristic weapons and wears a body suit. Armor wouldn't be that out of the ordinary. Neither would pants.

If you think He-Man's a barbarian, you're ignoring the complete change to his character that Filmation made, in my opinion.
    I think Larry's girlfriend really isn't a MOTU fan, which says alot...even casual fans equate He-Man with being a barbarian, even when he really isn't canon-wise.

The barbarian look or if you must, "fantasy warrior", has always been part of He-Man's brand identity. When you think of He-Man, you see a muscular blond barbarian.

Arguably, He-Man might not act like an actual barbarian, but Adam's cover story about He-Man's origins might be. We've never really learned what He-Man claims his history is like. Where He-Man claims to have come from or his origins. Is he a mystery man who never speaks about his past? Or does he have a cover story?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Looks to me the ongoing will have similar sales to the miniseries, maybe a bit higher. Meanwhile DC's first issue of Superman Unchained sold 251,456 copies! I had no idea comics still reached such a high figure nowadays.
    Four way punch of superstar artist Jim Lee, superstar writer Scott Snyder, a first issue and Man of Steel movie hype.

I think Larry's girlfriend really isn't a MOTU fan, which says alot...even casual fans equate He-Man with being a barbarian, even when he really isn't canon-wise.

The barbarian look or if you must, "fantasy warrior", has always been part of He-Man's brand identity. When you think of He-Man, you see a muscular blond barbarian.

Arguably, He-Man might not act like an actual barbarian, but Adam's cover story about He-Man's origins might be. We've never really learned what He-Man claims his history is like. Where He-Man claims to have come from or his origins. Is he a mystery man who never speaks about his past? Or does he have a cover story?

- - - Updated - - -

Four way punch of superstar artist Jim Lee, superstar writer Scott Snyder, a first issue and Man of Steel movie hype.
    That's a great point. I could see Adam telling People that He-Man is a Barbarian that lives out in the wastelands. Would explain why Eternians don't seen He-Man hanging out at the Royal Cafeteria and such. I just saw Cat and Spider today and Prince Adam sleeping in his nightgown at the royal palace doesn't make me think of him as a classic barbarian. But Yes, I agree, when people think of He-Man, they think of a furry shorts and boots muscle guy.

Just wanted to say I have POP Mhan as a friend on Facebook, it's a very nice guy and very talented, just look at his art gallery to notify that.
    it's not necessary to remember He made ​​the last cover of the Ongoing, which is one of the best covers of the year.

I say this because I had seen a total disrespect for him on some post.

Here is a some art by POP "lack of talent"Mhan

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...80643545_n.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...an-d66l0h6.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...an-d66l2fu.jpg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/...ps73312e38.jpg
    I LOVE that He-Man design! I hope it shows up somewhere because that is phenomenal.