Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1678

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think you're talking about spoiled meat to the hungry and starving. MOTU fans are so grateful to have a comic after so many years without.

Unfortunately, while the art might get better depending on the creative team, the books direction is still dictated by Mattel.

Mattel, at least, seems to be allowing the new direction without much protest. With MVC, there seemed to be a strained relationship between them and Mattel when it came to trying to use classic characters and ideas within the confines of the 200X world. Here, classic, 200X, and other seem to have a bit more mixture and freedom. A formula for an injection of new into the MOTU.

As for 'lack of direction' not sure why those who dispise the comic seem to have trouble seeing the current direction of the story. Well, here it is as I see it. The Horde have invaded Eternia, Adora under the name Despera has been raised by Hordak and Shadow Weaver and blinded by their lies and acts as a commander of a Horde army that is laying siege to Castle Grayskull. He-Man is about to set off to rescue Teela from Horde clutches and behind the scenes Zoar/Sorceress is trying to awaken Despera to her true heritage and destiny. Considering issue 5 has She-Ra on the cover, it's painfully apparent that this story arc is supposed to be the new canon's origin story of She-Ra. After this a new story arc begins concerning the MOTU finding something that can help them combat the Horde who still occupies Eternia by that point. There is the direction of the story for the time being.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's how Rob Liefeld still has a career.
    No, he made a deal with Satan...Also, he buys all the copies of his own comics in a LA and Orange County.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    I agree 100%. It's just a pity that folks are receptive to this...I'd rather see the comic fail and Mattel/DC ask themselves "Hm...a toy line that runs for 5-7 years with virtually no advertising based on a property who's heydey was almost 30 years ago and the comic FAILS? What COULD we be doing wrong? Oh wait, let's put some people on this book that CARE about a property with an obviously loyal and loving fanbase and we'll make MORE money!"

Of course, that's just my personal pipe dream.
    I doubt they would think that much of it, they would probably just shrug it off and move on to something else. You realize we have NEVER has a US based comic for very long...I'm sure these are about to end and be blamed on low sales/just not enough fans.

Mattel/DC just doesn't give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Mattel, at least, seems to be allowing the new direction without much protest. With MVC, there seemed to be a strained relationship between them and Mattel when it came to trying to use classic characters and ideas within the confines of the 200X world. Here, classic, 200X, and other seem to have a bit more mixture and freedom. A formula for an injection of new into the MOTU.

As for 'lack of direction' not sure why those who dispise the comic seem to have trouble seeing the current direction of the story. Well, here it is as I see it. The Horde have invaded Eternia, Adora under the name Despera has been raised by Hordak and Shadow Weaver and blinded by their lies and acts as a commander of a Horde army that is laying siege to Castle Grayskull. He-Man is about to set off to rescue Teela from Horde clutches and behind the scenes Zoar/Sorceress is trying to awaken Despera to her true heritage and destiny. Considering issue 5 has She-Ra on the cover, it's painfully apparent that this story arc is supposed to be the new canon's origin story of She-Ra. After this a new story arc begins concerning the MOTU finding something that can help them combat the Horde who still occupies Eternia by that point. There is the direction of the story for the time being.
    The basic plot isn't the problem, it is largely what most wanted to see happen in MYP season 3. Skeletor conquers Eternia, the masters form a rebellion, and Adora leads a Horde Invasion of Eternia at Hordak's command. Despara is a nice twist that we have largly welcomed. That sounds cool, but how it is told is not pleasurable. The problem is the inconsistent...EVERYTHING. Personally I loath the the inking, dialogue, and randomness of the characterization/ continuity the most.

that "new direction" you speak of is coming directly from Mattel...And the war zone of DC editorial It's like Darksied being killed in JLU, Apokolips is in a Civil War... We have the words from the "creators" saying that a lot of things are dictated to them. If this project had a single unchanging more capable team from the beginning I think a lot more people would be on board. Given how much Larry Ditillao has added to the mythology (including sellable action figures) I'd hire him and give him Mattel Legal rubber stamp and get an uber fan/pro comic artist that would never WANT to leave.
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; August 18, 2013 at 07:36am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Given how much Larry Ditillao has added to the mythology (including sellable action figures) I'd hire him and give him Mattel Legal rubber stamp and get an uber fan/pro comic artist that would never WANT to leave.
    I would do it, so were can i apply

that "new direction" you speak of is coming directly from Mattel...And the war zone of DC editorial It's like Darksied being killed in JLU, Apokolips is in a Civil War... We have the words from the "creators" saying that a lot of things are dictated to them. If this project had a single unchanging more capable team from the beginning I think a lot more people would be on board. Given how much Larry Ditillao has added to the mythology (including sellable action figures) I'd hire him and give him Mattel Legal rubber stamp and get an uber fan/pro comic artist that would never WANT to leave.
    Doesn't come as very surprising to me since Mattel was dictating to MVC at that time too, which from what I can gather is the reason why MVC ended their MOTU run. The MVC crew would be more knowledgeable on that front, I'm only theorizing based on past information.

At the very least, the DC comic seems to have a more flexible space to do stories, which is quite nice. Being confined to only Filmation or 200X would be a boring re-tread.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Beetle View Post
    It should be one week after #5 comes out, on Aug 28th.
    Yes, some of this past week's DC Comics even had ads for the upcoming miniseries.

I think this series really enjoys the people does not give much importance or put aside preconceived ideas of motu.

I think this comment from Val in a recent interview with MOTULA site is the way to go with these comics.

ML: Now we have new DC comics, what do you think about them?
    What's your opinion?

VS: I haven't read much of them. I haven't had the time yet. But from what I have read, I'm curious and want to read more. I aim to keep an open mind. I find it's best to treat new material like I did when I was a child. Back then, I had no preconceived notions or expectations. I simply took things as they were presented and enjoyed them as such. I feel it's a LOT more fun that way.

http://www.motula.org/t6642-entrevis...staples#126822

...and People who are not so into MOTU really enjoy the comics MOTU from DC and a true demonstration of that are the comments posted below the preview of the new issue on comic vine site .
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Larry's disdain for the art not withstanding this preview is probably the best work DC'S put out. The interaction between Adora and Shadow Weaver is great. Excellent depth of character. I can't wait to read the entire issue.

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    It makes me appreciate the new mini comics more.
    They are not perfect but they are an entertaining read.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Knight View Post
    It makes me appreciate the new mini comics more.
    They are not perfect but they are an entertaining read.
    Mini-comics?! Where?!

If Larry Datillo hates the new book, that is his opinion. He has writing episodes of the Filmation cartoon on his achievements list for the eternity, but that doesn't mean if he says the new book is bad, it is bad. Even Val Staples is open to the new book, the guy who ran the company that made MOTU comics for a time. I wish more people would keep an open mind instead of be-rate the new book based on one issue of art they don't like or a story they don't like right away.

Considering the new book is a monthly, each issue is one chapter of the bigger story. I'm willing to bet the same people who hate the book now because the story is 'taking so long' or the like probably won't have that problem after getting all of the issues or getting the trade paperback collection.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Widget
    I've been reading this series from the beginning, and it's pretty awful. The characters are so poorly written, it's laughable. I'm hoping the new writer that comes on board shortly is able to do a better job than Giffen has been doing, but I won't hold my breath.
    I've gone on holiday by mistake

Widget
    This comic isn't my dream interpretation of the mythos, but I am enjoying it.
    And I've always liked Mhan's artwork.

The comic is getting better with each issue. That's a good thing. It's taking some time but DC MOTU is starting to take off. More and more new fans are coming aboard which is what we need to move on from the 80s canon. Unfortunately new fans do not want the old He-man they seem to always make mockery of him. This He-man in DC's canon, new fans don't mock him which is great. People are actually taking him serious now.

A cartoonist I know has just put together a kid-friendly MOTU proposal that I think looks pretty great. Check it out here: http://comicsaregreat.com/motu

Say what you will about DC's current offering, but all-ages it certainly is not. I think it would be pretty awesome were DC to publish this, or something like it, and maybe introduce Masters to a new, younger demographic.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

I really need to get the back issues n start reading this. I read the mini n issue one but that was it.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    A cartoonist I know has just put together a kid-friendly MOTU proposal that I think looks pretty great. Check it out here: http://comicsaregreat.com/motu

Say what you will about DC's current offering, but all-ages it certainly is not. I think it would be pretty awesome were DC to publish this, or something like it, and maybe introduce Masters to a new, younger demographic.
    This is a wonderful idea. I approve. Has your friend presented this to Mattel yet?

This is very cool, and would be a good way to get kids into it. If the writing is smart enough, then this style can also appeal to adults. I think it's possible to make something fun for kids and adults both (like Adventure Time.)

Wow that is amazing,Although I must admit I see this more for a new animated series of CN or Nik than for a comic series.

About MOTU DC comics, there are a substantial base of fans who enjoy these comics.those who await these comics each month with great expectations.
    I think DC comics are the motu transition into a new era, and the transitions are always difficult for some fans.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; August 20, 2013 at 01:31pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    People who are not so into MOTU really enjoy the comics MOTU from DC and a true demonstration of that are the comments posted below the preview of the new issue on comic vine site .
    Unfortunately those people don't realize how great the stories and art could be. If they'd read or watched almost anything from previous eras of MOTU then they'd see how out-of-character the New DC Teela is written, how badly designed the new He-Man outfit and sword are. it makes me sad to see the property treated this way.

I think there's plenty of room for a GOOD more serious DC comic and a good kid-oriented one, too. They just need to be good.

Which, to me, DC just hasn't proven capable of yet. But I'll give issue #7 a go. I have heard that maybe Teela's character is getting better? I have been tempted to try to give the first arc another try, but fear being burned again.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Wow that is amazing,Although I must admit I see this more for a new animated series of CN or Nik than for a comic series.
    Why not both? As Classics winds down, wouldn't it be great for something like this to carry the torch for the next generation of fans?
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    The comic is getting better with each issue. That's a good thing. It's taking some time but DC MOTU is starting to take off. More and more new fans are coming aboard which is what we need to move on from the 80s canon. Unfortunately new fans do not want the old He-man they seem to always make mockery of him. This He-man in DC's canon, new fans don't mock him which is great. People are actually taking him serious now.
    Well, I can understand why new fans don't exactly want the old Filmation He-Man basically because he was kind of dorky. Even a MOTU fan like me can only stand to see He-Man lean back and do that stock laugh animation one too many times before getting sick of seeing it. The cartoon is fine for what it is and is what brought many of us old schoolers into the MOTU saga, but for new fans to want to bother with the franchise they need a new interpretation that embraces the more sword, sorcery, technology and adventure aspect that are the main roots of MOTU.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Well, I can understand why new fans don't exactly want the old Filmation He-Man basically because he was kind of dorky. Even a MOTU fan like me can only stand to see He-Man lean back and do that stock laugh animation one too many times before getting sick of seeing it. The cartoon is fine for what it is and is what brought many of us old schoolers into the MOTU saga, but for new fans to want to bother with the franchise they need a new interpretation that embraces the more sword, sorcery, technology and adventure aspect that are the main roots of MOTU.
    I agree. I want something more adult oriented and I'm tired of the same ol stuff.

That concept may work for younger kids.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Warrior
    Today's issue was great IMHO. Nice callback to The Secret of the Sword with some cool twists.

Shadow Weaver turning to dust?

So is that another death?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The Talkback thread for Number #5 is here!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...26#post3320826

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)