Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1697

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTactics420 View Post
    Don't forget about the three origin issues and the digital series too.
    Yes. Also DC will be releasing a trade paperback in January that will have the 3 origin stories and digital comics #2-#7

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTactics420 View Post
    Don't forget about the three origin issues and the digital series too.
    He-Man, Skeletor & who?
    Last edited by General Hawk 7; October 17, 2013 at 03:49pm.
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hawk 7 View Post
    He-Man, Skeletor & who?
    Hordak was the other one....

Think we will ever find out what happened to Sir-Laser-Lot? Or are we to just assume he's dead Jim? (aka killed by Skeletor and his crew)
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    That's just not true, there have been plenty of negative reviews from sites other than this one.
    Of course there are some negative reviews. Have you been to this Internet place before?

My post was replying to someone stating that they are unpopular in general or that there has been an extremely negative reaction overall, which is laughable. They would not have expanded the miniseries into a monthly nor done a second miniseries at the same time if it wasn't doing well.

The two main problems i've see people point out are: 1) The writers fail to properly introduce the characters and the world of Eternia to non-MOTU fans, and 2) Unnecessary changes were made to the characters established appearances and personalities.

Even if you love the series you gotta admit that those flaws exist.
    No, I don't. The introductions for many characters were done in the digital singles, and with such a cast we wouldn't ever get to a story if they sat and gave their entire backstory. We would need an encyclopedia. It comes bit by bit, like any story.

I reject your claim that fans only dislike this series just because it's a new take on MOTU and different from 'my dream MOTU'. No, I dislike this series because it has terrible designs, dialogue, characterisation, and story choices (it's the MOTU equivalent of Michael Bay's Transformers).
    LOL reject my claim all you wish, but the majority of complaints around here are exactly as I stated. You can disagree personally, or have different reasons - I wasn't talking directly to you, I don't know who you are - stop taking it so personally. If my statement doesn't apply to how you feel, don't be so sensitive about it.

And, funny, but those Michael Bay Transformers films are an extremely apt comparison - they take in zillions off dollars and are hits with the public, but old school TF fans get all snitty about them (or they wouldn't be filming the fourth one as we speak). These comics may not be doing that kind of business (not that any comic does) but it's doing quite well or they would not have transitioned to a monthly, nor would they have done a super-high profile crossover with their most valuable blue chip characters.

I'm more than willing to accept change, provided it makes sense and works for the story. Adam becoming He-Man permanently in New Adventures made sense. He-Man reforging the Power Sword and revealing that "I AM the Power" does not make sense, not to me at least.
    Well then there are those preconceived notions of yours as I was talking about. It made perfect sense to me. There are so many versions and incarnations of MOTU and various mythologies surrounding the sword and He-man (some of which don't include Adam at all) that it's hard to violate any laws of the universe when they vary so vastly.

That said, the newest issue this week wasn't the greatest to me. I thought the change in art was pretty awful - a combo of anime and that weird sketch style. I really hope they go back to the way it was. I also want them too finally get She-ra in the mix - she has been on the cover before but yet to become a character in the comic.

It's not perfect - see, even I have some complaints - but it's far from this awful mess of garbage that folks around here seem to make it out to be. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I get it. But it almost always boils down to "it's not what I would have done" or how people think MOTU should be presented, not really the actual work objectively, based on statements people are making (including some of yours).

I keep buying them and reading them, and I enjoy the excitement of a new one coming out - and I can't be alone, or even in the minority, or they wouldn't keep making them. So I stand by my statement - this is the only place where the overall feeling toward them seems to be negative - if that many people disliked them, presumably they wouldn't be buying them, and of course then they wouldn't be making the,

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    Of course there are some negative reviews. Have you been to this Internet place before?

My post was replying to someone stating that they are unpopular in general or that there has been an extremely negative reaction overall, which is laughable. They would not have expanded the miniseries into a monthly nor done a second miniseries at the same time if it wasn't doing well.
    There are plenty of negative reviews of the New52 He-man out there on the net but they also seem to mirror what's here, that I've seen, in the forums. That is, hardcore fans who already have a preconceived notion of what "everything that He-man is about" and can't seem to grasp that the New52 He-man is not those previous versions. There are plenty of great reviews out there too but easy to overlook if you are in the market to validate your own opinions that the comic is horrible. The absurdity of this point of view is demonstrated in the bickering and in fighting even amoungst that faction of fandom. Everyone has their own notions of what they think He-man is about, so you have an endless stream of notions to argue about. Not everyone walks away from reading the comics or watching the cartoons with the same picture of the depicted events in their heads.

No, I don't. The introductions for many characters were done in the digital singles, and with such a cast we wouldn't ever get to a story if they sat and gave their entire backstory. We would need an encyclopedia. It comes bit by bit, like any story.
    Some hardcore fans touched on this point. Who are the comics intended for? I would imagine people like me, the "casual fans". People who watched the cartoons as a kid, had a few of the toys and then grew out of touch with the property. There were an awful lot of kids that played with the toys back then, a whole untapped market that Mattel may be trying to reach by making this version, the New52 He-man, more adult oriented. They all know the basic premise of He-man. "The muscular blond guy who runs around with a sword and fights that other muscular guy with a skull face." It's a vague, happy, childhood play time memory, glossed over by years of separation but happy for a revisit if made more palatible for adult senses. It's really that simple, I think.

And, funny, but those Michael Bay Transformers films are an extremely apt comparison - they take in zillions off dollars and are hits with the public, but old school TF fans get all snitty about them (or they wouldn't be filming the fourth one as we speak). These comics may not be doing that kind of business (not that any comic does) but it's doing quite well or they would not have transitioned to a monthly, nor would they have done a super-high profile crossover with their most valuable blue chip characters.
    The Michael Bay Transformers is a perfect comparison here. I'm a Transformers fan. In fact, I may be a "hardcore" Transformers fan and I hated the Michael Bay Transformers. I thought the designs were all wrong: too busy, too Hollywood, too everything. I didn't like them so I didn't watch the films. End of story. I never once thought that the films killed the mythos of Transformers. The films exist, just as these He-man comics, as a part of the mythos that make up the bigger picture of the property. Parts of the mythos I liked, I followed, parts I didn't like, I didn't follow. I'm a fan of these properties but I'm not the guardian of these properties. The company that owns these properties are the sole guardians of these properties. They can do as they deem necessary to grow the property. We, as consumers, have the power and the right not to pay these companies for things that we feel is dreck or subpar. That will change the course these compnies take much more quickly and efficiently than trying to make others fans feel bad or shaming them for liking a particular version, which, I feel is very elitist and obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistor View Post
    There are plenty of negative reviews of the New52 He-man out there on the net but they also seem to mirror what's here, that I've seen, in the forums. That is, hardcore fans who already have a preconceived notion of what "everything that He-man is about" and can't seem to grasp that the New52 He-man is not those previous versions. There are plenty of great reviews out there too but easy to overlook if you are in the market to validate your own opinions that the comic is horrible. The absurdity of this point of view is demonstrated in the bickering and in fighting even amoungst that faction of fandom. Everyone has their own notions of what they think He-man is about, so you have an endless stream of notions to argue about. Not everyone walks away from reading the comics or watching the cartoons with the same picture of the depicted events in their heads.
    Exactly, since "fans" can't even agree on which canon there is to begin with. Mini-comics, Filmation, 200x, UK Comics, Golden Book, card back bios - that's why it's laughable when people say things like "it didn't make sense for He-man to forge a new power sword" - in what mythos? Seems perfectly fine with my Filmation knowledge - I don't see anything that could invalidate that. Personally, I go by Filmation - but others go by other sources. There is no single canon to violate, therefore complaints about violating the canon are moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistor View Post
    The Michael Bay Transformers is a perfect comparison here. I'm a Transformers fan. In fact, I may be a "hardcore" Transformers fan and I hated the Michael Bay Transformers. I thought the designs were all wrong: too busy, too Hollywood, too everything. I didn't like them so I didn't watch the films. End of story. I never once thought that the films killed the mythos of Transformers. The films exist, just as these He-man comics, as a part of the mythos that make up the bigger picture of the property. Parts of the mythos I liked, I followed, parts I didn't like, I didn't follow. I'm a fan of these properties but I'm not the guardian of these properties. The company that owns these properties are the sole guardians of these properties. They can do as they deem necessary to grow the property. We, as consumers, have the power and the right not to pay these companies for things that we feel is dreck or subpar. That will change the course these compnies take much more quickly and efficiently than trying to make others fans feel bad or shaming them for liking a particular version, which, I feel is very elitist and obtuse.
    Precisely.

And it's really funny now all those people that think the brand was mutilated when Sorceress was killed,

since the conclusion of the newest issue is about starting the mission to bring her back to life.

It's akin to "George Lucas killed my childhood" with the prequels. There was a lot terrible about them, personally I think the most basic issue was that no one cared - I don't remember sitting around as a kid and wondering how Darth Vader grew up, etc. - the explanation of the clone wars from Obi-wan was enough for me, I didn't need to see it in detail - but no matter how terrible anyone thought they were, they didn't tarnish the OT for people, unless they allowed it to. (The Special Editions and the fact that they won't release the original versions, that's a whole 'nother topic, LOL.)
    Last edited by SpiritOfTeela; October 19, 2013 at 09:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela
    Of course there are some negative reviews.
    Well, doesn't that contradict your claim that "The only place they are unpopular is here"?

I wasn't talking directly to you, I don't know who you are - stop taking it so personally. If my statement doesn't apply to how you feel, don't be so sensitive about it.
    Sorry, I was only trying to contribute my opinion to the discussion. Didn't realise you were having a private conversation. I'll just mind my own business from now on.

I'm really not taking it personally, but I apologise if I came across as rude or over-sensitive. I've had a difficult time lately, so I guess my mood has been more negative than usual.

it's laughable when people say things like "it didn't make sense for He-Man to forge a new power sword"
    Since it makes perfect sense to you, can you explain why Adam needed to reforge it? I still don't understand why it was neccessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    And it's really funny now all those people that think the brand was mutilated when Sorceress was killed,
    Yeah, well for me it was. Not due to the fact that she was killed, but because of the horrible way it occurred. Having her endlessly tortured by Skeletor and then seeing him hold up her severed head was traumatic for me. It was a miserable thing to do to a beloved character. What I loved about MOTU is that it was always kid-friendly, escapist fun. Putting that level of violent content into a world where we have characters like Plundor and names like Stinkor just doesn't feel right to me.

It's important to speak up now to avoid this sort of thing going forward. People can say that 'The Powers That Be' can do whatever they like and all we fans can do is like it or lump it, but speaking out against something you dislike is equally important if you want change to happen. Voting with your wallet often isn't enough. I hated the Transformers films, but the worst thing about them is how they've influenced future TF cartoons. Poor Bumblebee is now a mute thanks to Michael Bay.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; November 22, 2013 at 08:15pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Yeah, well for me it was. Not due to the fact that she was killed, but because of the horrible way it occurred. Having her endlessly tortured by Skeletor and then seeing him hold up her severed head was traumatic for me. It was a miserable thing to do to a beloved character. What I loved about MOTU is that it was always kid-friendly, escapist fun. Putting that level of violent content into a world where we have characters like Plundor and and names like Stinkor just doesn't feel right to me.
    I'm fine with the Sorceress dying or appear to be dead, so long as there was a plan to bring her back in play all along (ala The Death of Superman). Skeletor is supposed to be one of the most evil beings in the universe. I'm thinking that's what he WOULD do to the Sorceress, indicating that he's an actual threat if someone were to be captured by him. He's a bad guy. In kid-friendly writing there is NO threat or sense of fear for the characters' fate. If anyone was captured by Skeletor, you would be freed in a matter of hours.

Fortunately for the Sorceress, the heroes plan to revive her.

As for death in MOTU, I was always of the opinion that these are the most powerful warriors in the universe. That killing ANY of them is extremely tough to do. If death did happen, then it should be an epic tale...such as someone sacrifices themselves to stop Skeletor, Flogg, Catra, King Hsss or Hordak from killing millions...or a villain who is so far gone, he ultimately kills himself (like Faker did in Filmation). You don't become a Master of the Universe character by being a redshirt...army builders aside.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; October 20, 2013 at 02:21pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Just finished reading Evil Lynn's... "back story"
    Who's the guy "Blak" in the Evil Lynn story? He seems to be telling someone of what happened. Like in retrospect. But then at the end, I couldnt tell if we are supposed to assume she killed him or just injured him. I hate vague endings. Cool story though.

So far Battle Cat's has been my favorite "backstory"! That was so cool! Battlecat has always been one of my favorite characters.

Off to read some more!

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'm fine with the Sorceress dying or appear to be dead, so long as there was a plan to bring her back in play all along (ala The Death of Superman). Skeletor is supposed to be one of the most evil beings in the universe. I'm thinking that's what he WOULD do to the Sorceress, indicating that he's an actual threat if someone were to be captured by him. He's a bad guy. In kid-friendly writing there is NO threat or sense of fear for the characters' fate. If anyone was captured by Skeletor, you would be freed in a matter of hours.

Fortunately for the Sorceress, the heroes plan to revive her.

As for death in MOTU, I was always of the opinion that these are the most powerful warriors in the universe. That killing ANY of them is extremely tough to do. If death did happen, then it should be an epic tale...such as someone sacrifices themselves to stop Skeletor, Flogg, Catra, King Hsss or Hordak from killing millions...or a villain who is so far gone, he ultimately kills himself (like Faker did in Filmation). You don't become a Master of the Universe character by being a redshirt...army builders aside.
    While I agree that Skeletor should be portrayed as a villain who is willing to kill anyone who stands in his way, I still feel you can show that without resorting to R rated violence. Teela Na is way too powerful to just be executed off-panel, or slowly poisoned as in the Classics bios.

When Obi-Wan Kenobi and Gandalf The Grey died in Star Wars and LOTR, it wasn't just a throwaway moment. Their death's were heroic, helped drive the the story forward, and were not needlessly gory.

Either have her go out fighting, sacrificing herself for others, or simply leave her fate ambiguous. I don't like them just pointlessly slaughtering an A-list character for shock value, then resurrecting them almost immediately afterwards.

I decided to re-read this newest series, 1-7 again this last weekend...
    I gotta say, costumes aside, and overlooking some of Teela's over the top comments... Just looking at the story arc itself, this is really a great read.

First time reading, I blew through He-Man in the core of the castle forging his new armor/sword... This time around I kind of relished in that scene some, and recognized what they are saying... Grayskull is the center of the Universe, the beginning of it all... That is so cool!
    That also made that one panel in issue 6 hurt really bad... Curious to see what will happen next there, I hold onto hope that Grayskull comes back somehow.

I'm feeling like it very much is what a season 3 of the Mike Young Productions toon could've been really. All the elements are there, Sorceress is gone, The Horde comes back in force, Masters go into hiding, Adora returns to Eternia.

Giving this a second chance, and having an attitude of forgiveness, has really helped me enjoy this book, such that I'm onboard full time, anxious for the next issue!

And Axel and Pop's art is freakin' rad.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Just read issue 7 I thought Pop Mhan's art was bad then I saw the new guy ( doesn't deserve to be named ) the writing is better along with characterization but that art, oh gawd that art.... horrible. If it doesn't come back around story wise big time I'm done. The pacing SUCKS its a new direction I could get into but its so hard. I love comics, but these comics are testing that WAY TOO MUCH!
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by General Hawk 7 View Post
    Just finished reading Evil Lynn's... "back story"
    Who's the guy "Blak" in the Evil Lynn story? He seems to be telling someone of what happened. Like in retrospect. But then at the end, I couldnt tell if we are supposed to assume she killed him or just injured him. I hate vague endings. Cool story though.
    The digital issues work in a bit of their own little story-arc. Pay attention to Man-At-Arms issue, Randor issue, Evil-Lyn issue and Trap-Jaw issue. The Trap-Jaw issue actually confirms the fate of Nolar Blak.

Widget

Sorceress Resurrection

If the plan is to revive The Sorceress, do we think that once she is brought back, that is where we will get the Sword of Protection or do we think it already exists and that there will be some long, forlorn quest for Despara to find the damn thing. I think it was a travesty for The Sorceress to be killed to begin with, but to drag out the cheap trick that has been the teasing of "She-Ra" with these covers and whatnot is really starting to become annoying and I hope they can use this plotline to finally get these classic characters right and proper back into the storyline.

Court Magician
    I wonder if they will revive the Sorceress, something tells me no. I kind of like the ethereal Sorceress already in play.
    I do hope Despara finds the Sword of Protection soon! I really like her character a lot but they need to get rid of those silly should pads armor thing. Yuck!
    I haven't read much of the older versions of motu but do the storylines continue from one to the other? I always assumed it was a reboot every time Mattel relaunches the line. What's this expectation for the DC He-man to get back to the "proper" storyline?
    Last edited by Artistor; October 24, 2013 at 12:52pm. Reason: Hahaha, what the heck does viscera have to do with anything??

Speaking of which: What kind of storylines would you like to see in the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I want to see some mixing and matching. Like the POP gals or NA characters taking on the Evil Warriors or the Snake Men. Or how the Evil Warriors are dealing with the whole Horde Invasion.

In a way, I wish the comic had started at the VERY beginning (Only 8 back characters), so that we are slowly introduced to all of the characters. I don't like that people can show up in a panel or comic as if they've always been there without knowing their significance--unless you're already a die-hard fan.

Heroic Warrior
    I want to see some mixing and matching. Like the POP gals or NA characters taking on the Evil Warriors or the Snake Men. Or how the Evil Warriors are dealing with the whole Horde Invasion.

In a way, I wish the comic had started at the VERY beginning (Only 8 back characters), so that we are slowly introduced to all of the characters. I don't like that people can show up in a panel or comic as if they've always been there without knowing their significance--unless you're already a die-hard fan.
    That was one of the strengths of the MVP series. They started out with the core heroes and villains. Everyone introduced after that had a backstory.

It's not surprising when people think someone is acting "out of character" when the only thing we have to go by as to what is "in character" is other media.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    That was one of the strengths of the MVP series. They started out with the core heroes and villains. Everyone introduced after that had a backstory.

It's not surprising when people think someone is acting "out of character" when the only thing we have to go by as to what is "in character" is other media.
    I guess I figured out this problem when Moss Man showed up. I mean, would newer fans know who he is? Hardcroe fans know what he SHOULD be like (Swamp Thing-like Plant Elemental), but even the hardcore fans might be wrong because of the new universe.

We don't even know the backstory for Roboto in the New 52 DC. Was he built by MAA? And Stratos...he's spending all of this time with the Masters, but what about Avion?

We need a damn sourcebook. Or at least an "In the Beginning" mini-series.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    The New Adventures of Gwildor!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I think some other team ups between the Heroic and the Evil Warriors could be nice. Or to see how the Evil Warriors have reorganized after Skeletor? Is Jitsu tha man in this Universe as well?

But in general I hope the Horde storyline will be finished soon as I am more interested in adventures than battles.

You'd think the writers would have a field day with the lesser known characters. Give them a personality and some airtime. I'd rather the writers do that than give established characters new personalities or rather inconsistent personalities.

Heroic Warrior
    You'd think the writers would have a field day with the lesser known characters. Give them a personality and some airtime. I'd rather the writers do that than give established characters new personalities or rather inconsistent personalities.
    I think they did a good job of doing just that with Mekaneck in the first arc. Maybe Stratos or Moss Man will got more airtime in this second arc.

Okay I just picked up all the back issues, and finished reading the 2012 mini.

For the most part, I liked the first 6 issues. Except for the part where He-Man said something about Orko betraying them. WTH, DC?? Orko?? REALLY???

I'm gonna stick with the series, especially since I see Dan Abnett has taken over as of issue 7, but really DC, you don't need to n52 the MoTU comics. Just stop all ready.