Page 49 of 69 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1704

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Also, it is generally assumed that for tent pole movies the marketing costs are the same as the production costs, so a 30 million plus becomes very fast a very huge loss.
    Quite true.

Box Office Mojo doesn't include the budget for the promotion/marketing. The rule of thumb in film is a company spends an amount on marketing equivalent to approximately 50% of the total production budget. And in the case of summer blockbusters, the marketing budget can sometimes be equal to the production budget.

The other problem is those are gross ticket earnings. The distributor often gets around half that amount.

DVD rentals and sales will help in the end. But regardless, when checking out Box Office Mojo's reports, you have to consider that the gross earnings may need to be at least 3x the production budget for the film to break even.

Critics' reviews do not mean anything to the studios (Princess Bride is considered by the studios an enormous flop and killed an entire genre even though it's one of the greatest films with a 97 ratting at RT).
    Also very true. Reviews don't = success. It's all about ticket sales. There are many highly reviewed films that have bombed or had a lackluster performance in sales.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I dig that style. It's raw lines hatching out energy and motion on the page.

That being said, I'm always up for more Pop Mhan and Michael O'Hare!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Hmm...a dedication to Lou Schiemer. More of that scribbly art.

And...er, didn't Cringer go off with Adora? How is Battle Cat there?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Oh no not more scribble!

Its sort of cool that we had so many artists on this series, even if we might not have liked all of them.

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I give you, many faces of He-man, Teela, Skeletor and Hordak. Just something to compare and perhaps pick your favourites, as its easy to forget how many artists have already left their mark during the run. I tried to pick good panels, but sometimes there isn't many panels to choose from (and not all artists did all the characters). I did not include cover artists.

Many_faces.jpg

If I had to pick (and doesn't mean I do not like all the rest, just some favourites at the moment):
    He-man: Maybe the very different style of Christopher Gugliotti. He-man has this very heroic and iconic style in the Orko issue. He seems difficult to capture, at least how I imagine his look.
    Teela: I like Pop Chan's expressions and there are many really defiant looking faces that show character. (you can argue about story, but it is not artist fault).
    Skeletor: Pop Chan. I like how he uses the round red eyes mostly and crooked fairly non-fang like teeth.
    Hordak: Axel Gimenez. Hordak has great bat-like features and expressions are great.

Feel free to take your pick, I've heard this crazy thing that there can be many opinions about art.

Comparing this to the last issue, it seems Rafael Kayaman is going for even more sketchy look. He is long time professional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Kayanan, although I do not know him from elsewhere) so one would think there is some specific reason why it is more sketchy.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I know they are going for that "rough and raw" artistic approach for these few issues but in my opinion it doesn't work too well - it makes my eyes feel fuzzy and weird. Less is more sometimes.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

That artwork makes me not want to buy, everyone & everything is so ugly imho...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

I've said it before, but this style really harkens back to that crappy, rushed-looking Leech mini-comic from the '80s. Is THAT the nostalgia they're aiming for here? LOL! Because really- I can't tell what the heck I'm looking at... everything looks sloppy and amatuerish. The writing is fine, but good grief... He-Man comics tend to be SUCH an eyesore. I thought they were getting good for a hot second there, but it's like two steps forward... five steps back. This art makes me yearn for the cleanliness of the Filmation cartoon!
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    That's just not true.

For Hollywood something is a flop when it (domestically) underperforms in its first week(s) or the general narrative od the trade papers says it is a flop.
    That is what they tell you but if you actually did research you would see that there's been many a poor performing opening weekend movie that was not deemed a flop

Hollywood deemed John carter a flop before it even opened. Yourself and Megagear need to do your reaseach.
    There are books (one of which I did the cover for) and scores of articles on John Carter and how all that went down. Why it was deemed a flop and others that performed less were not and how much love there is for this movie.

It would be great for everybody if folks do their research or at least read the articles first before giving their opinion, you wouldn't have such pointless debate and boring others half to death.
    We go this way because some folks like to always have dominating opinion even if it is filled with half truths and baloney. And when these half truths and baloney are challanged we get these mad diversions because some folks will not tolerate being challanged even if they are wrong.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    That is what they tell you but if you actually did research you would see that there's been many a poor performing opening weekend movie that was not deemed a flop

Hollywood deemed John carter a flop before it even opened.
    And with that you have proven my point. It doesn't mean anything what reality is. There is a narrative out there that John Carter is a flop. And the people who decide believe it. That's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post

Hollywood deemed John carter a flop before it even opened. Yourself and Megagear need to do your reaseach.
    There are books (one of which I did the cover for) and scores of articles on John Carter and how all that went down. Why it was deemed a flop and others that performed less were not and how much love there is for this movie.

http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net...l/16441066.jpg

It would be great for everybody if folks do their research or at least read the articles first before giving their opinion, you wouldn't have such pointless debate and boring others half to death.
    We go this way because some folks like to always have dominating opinion even if it is filled with half truths and baloney. And when these half truths and baloney are challanged we get these mad diversions because some folks will not tolerate being challanged even if they are wrong.
    Sigh...

Given its marketing and production costs, the film was largely considered a box office bomb. Paul Dergarabedian, president of Hollywood.com noted, "John Carter’s bloated budget would have required it to generate worldwide tickets sales of more than $600 million to break even...a height reached by only 63 films in the history of moviemaking".
    Screw it, here's another link for good measure.

The sequel is put on hold.

Even when I provide outright proof and mad sources that John Carter didn't do well, you are still fighting.

Okay, so educate us. How is a movie that made it's $250 million budget back, but only made a $30 million profit, not a flop? We aren't seeing sequels, most media outlets agree that it's a flop and Rich Ross, the head of Walt Disney Studios quit over this movie's poor performance.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Ok gang, let's get back on the topic of the comic.

Please take the movie discussion to the MOTU New Movie Discussion forum. Thanks!
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Hmm...a dedication to Lou Schiemer. More of that scribbly art.

And...er, didn't Cringer go off with Adora? How is Battle Cat there?
    The DC vs MOTU comic happens after the first six issues, and the first few pages kind of make it sound like issue six didn't just happen but happened a few months back. Issue 7, makes it sound like He-man been gone for a bit also. So offscreen time.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Not a fan of 'teh scribbley' myself. I suppose I'll just have to put up with it until they rotate someone else on. Much like I did with New Avengers when they had a similar scribbley artist.

Also I hope that the ongoing at least gives us more time with He-man friends and family. We really need more exploration of characters beyond He-man, Teela and Adora. We've been seeing moments here and there recently, but I feel it needs to do branch out a bit more and establish the rest of the Masters more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Okay. So the story was meh at best, but at least the art was decent.
    Now...?

How can I unsubscribe? I don´t feel like giving my money away for this imho crappy artistic style anymore.
    This is one very unsatisfied customer less for DC.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Heroic Warrior
    Screw Mattel for allowing this crap, I'm still underwhelmed by the story, the art and the design. Can someone at DC bring back the original MOTU, please?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Okay. So the story was meh at best, but at least the art was decent.
    Now...?

How can I unsubscribe? I don´t feel like giving my money away for this imho crappy artistic style anymore.
    This is one very unsatisfied customer less for DC.
    In the other thread, I believe someone said they are changing artists next issue.

Well, too late. They almost lost me with the last one, they most certainly lost me with this one now.
    Positivity, folks!

Keep in mind both this artist and writer are only fill ins for a couple of issues.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    That artwork makes me not want to buy, everyone & everything is so ugly imho...
    Agreed. Which is why I haven't bought any issues. Everything I've seen so far looks horrible and since no one is raving about the story either... what is the point?
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

I didn't bother to read this latest issue.

The artist on this issue is showing how little he cares about MOTU in my opinion. Never thought a day would come when I do not read a He-Man comic.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTactics420 View Post
    Keep in mind both this artist and writer are only fill ins for a couple of issues.
    Pardon me, but for a property that doesn´t stand on solid ground with the casual audience and relies heavily on the support of die-hard fans, stand-in storys and artwork must NEVER be an option. Under no circumstances.
    Positivity, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Pardon me, but for a property that doesn´t stand on solid ground with the casual audience and relies heavily on the support of die-hard fans, stand-in storys and artwork must NEVER be an option. Under no circumstances.
    Unfortunately, we get fill-in artists and alternate teams with almost every comic, DJ.

I like Dan Abnett's writing than Giffen's on this title, but Rafael's scribble-scrabbly artwork is harsh on the eyes.

When is Axel gonna draw a story-arc? If he does do a story, the fans who left should return to support him. This might give DC a message that Axel makes them more money than anyone else on that title.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Unfortunately, we get fill-in artists and alternate teams with almost every comic, DJ.
    I know. And with a well established and selling comic book property like Spiderman or X-Men or whatever, this is no bad thing. But with MOTU it hurts a lot. Just take a look at the sales charts. MOTU is dangerously low to being cancelled, afaik. Utilizing unpopular stand-ins is not the wisest idea.

In other news: Subscription sucessfully cancelled, refund check is in the mail.
    Positivity, folks!