Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Honestly, I don't find you offensive, but I find some of your points a bit odd to be honest. I don't mean to offend you either. You say you know it isn't real, but from the tone and message of your post I just get that you put way too much importance to something that is just a work of fiction. I mean a lot of what you say are just points of view and you seem intent on condemning this new direction on even the most trivial points. If you haven't accepted by now that the comic is not going to be a rehash of the Filmation cartoon or that killing enemies has been well established with the previous six issue mini and the digital comics then maybe it's time to step away from the comic and just wait out the next iteration?

I could go on point for point, but I think you're right. We should at this point just agree to disagree and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks; I agree.

Actually, my ideal standard was the MVC comics; I rate Staples very highly as a writer and creator and wish this iteration were in his hands. Filmation is fine from a nostalgia point of view; I have nothing against it.

And perhaps I will just ignore this series if it continues in this vein; I won't be alone, judging by rather a lot of the feedback - and it may not even go to term; but we shall see. I would like to think that there will be others to follow - but who knows?

But, then, I too could go on point for point - and agree that it is best if neither of us do so, since we are clearly exceedingly unlikely to agree!

Yeah, I quite liked the MVC comics too (and the MYP toon). I was really annoyed when both went down the way they did. Both had a lot of potential, but were cut down way too short for reasons that were arguably unfair. Personally I would hope that the DC writers seek to incorporate some of those ideas as well as their own into this new comic.
    I hate you. So much.

Anyone in the U.S. not recieved their subscription yet like me?
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    I haven't, which is why I canned it. My LCS will give me the same price and 10X better quality and day-of releases. I'll never subscribe again.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    I haven't, which is why I canned it. My LCS will give me the same price and 10X better quality and day-of releases. I'll never subscribe again.
    This is true. I only subscribed myself for the exclusive cover which I would normally pay $25 or more on ebay for anyway. I still buy from the comic store as well. I see it as getting the exclusive cover and then the rest of them as reading copies for free!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Honestly, I don't find you offensive, but I find some of your points a bit odd to be honest. I don't mean to offend you either. You say you know it isn't real, but from the tone and message of your post I just get that you put way too much importance to something that is just a work of fiction. I mean a lot of what you say are just points of view and you seem intent on condemning this new direction on even the most trivial points. If you haven't accepted by now that the comic is not going to be a rehash of the Filmation cartoon or that killing enemies has been well established with the previous six issue mini and the digital comics then maybe it's time to step away from the comic and just wait out the next iteration?
    YES!! The comic isn't going to change direction completely just for the sake of satisfying the complaints of the other side.

I've liked franchises from my past yet complete hate the re-makes and 're-imaginings' of the same. Case in point, Battlestar Galactica. I liked the original pilot movie and series(Galactica 1980 I'm still on the fence about) but ended up hating the 2003 're-imagining' of the franchise after giving it an entire season to win me over.

Did I constantly go to a BSG fan community and keep expressing my hatred of the new direction on and off again? Certainly not. I merely quit watching it.

Yes, I have mentioned it here and there on this site but not to the point of bashing someone over the head with it.

I can understand the feelings of some of the die-hard fans of He-Man who still see him as that muscle bound do-gooder who always put right the wrongs Skeletor made and saved the day when others couldn't. That's completely fine. Nothing is going to change that ever.

The new comic, on the other hand, is a new take. It keeps some familiarity yet adds some 'Conan The Barbarian' war and violence to the mix. This coming from a person who just said he hates most 're-imaginings'.

That, however, isn't completely true. I'm fine with 're-imaginings' that are done well, set in a new parallel universe and the like, but as long as certain elements of what came before still remain intact to help older fans still recognize what they liked from the old.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I'm still waiting....

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Mine has yet to arrive in Denver, and this is the email I received today from DC:
    Thank you for your email. It takes 6-8 weeks for the first issue to arrive. When we received your order issue #1 had already been sent to current subscribers.

Your issue #1 should arrive later mid-June.

Thank you,

Temekia

Customer Service
    What? I signed up in March with everyone else, shouldn't we have been notified of a 6-8 week delay at the beginning? Will every issue be behind that far? I already purchased issue 1 from my LCS, and don't really feel like being two months behind for a monthly comic.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Guy View Post

What? I signed up in March with everyone else, shouldn't we have been notified of a 6-8 week delay at the beginning? Will every issue be behind that far? I already purchased issue 1 from my LCS, and don't really feel like being two months behind for a monthly comic.
    Can I ask what specific date in March did you buy your subs?

I'm in the US and still waiting as well.I was told by the end of the month but I'm not holding my breath.The stories don't do much for me but the collector in me wants the comics.

This is true. I only subscribed myself for the exclusive cover which I would normally pay $25 or more on ebay for anyway. I still buy from the comic store as well. I see it as getting the exclusive cover and then the rest of them as reading copies for free!
    I'm not really into variant covers. I really just subscribed for the cheaper price, but if my comic guy will give me that same price it's not worth it to me. He's right around the corner and like I said I get them in mint condition and day-of release. Besides, the variant cover won't be work 25 cents if its crushed, folded, and creased to east bumbleland!
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

cyber-assassin
    I have yet to recieve mine also. I ordered it I think march 18th.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

Has this been posted yet?

Preview of Issue #2. (use arrow to view some of the pages)

http://www.mtv.com/geek/comic/issue/...iverse-2.jhtml
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

Thanks for the link Tallstar. I enjoyed the preview. I thought a couple of Teela's comments were funny as well as He-man trying to save her and failing. I was a bit worried at the end of issue 1 that they were going to change the brother/sister connection between He-man and She-ra, but what I saw of how they handled Teela's connection to Adora made me less nervous about that. I'm interested to see what they do with that. Maybe once Adora's back on the side of good she and Adora will have a unique friendship due to that.

Though I did think He-man's harness was drawn a little odd in one panel. It made it seem as though his symbol was attached to a mini satchel (hey, maybe that solves the mystery of where he stashes everything? lol).
    I hate you. So much.

That was fun, thanks for the preview link!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.1.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

That dialogue between Despara, He-Man and Teela was painful to read. Ugh!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Thanks Tallstar!

• Teela managed to rescue herself while He-Man is in trouble. Sexism trope averted.

• I think the sexuality level of Teela's costume is going to depend on the artist drawing it. Ed Benes who is known for his sexy women characters might bring more complaints than Pop Mhan's rendition will.

• Adora is POWERFUL.

• Adora and Teela recognize each other? Strange...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Was it REALLY too much to ask to have once again comics that were - like the MVC/Image series - well-written, complex, mature in tone, wholly-internally-consistent - and genuinely thought-provoking?
    There are plenty of writers out there who could do this - and superlatively, too.
    But instead we get this - mess - which I really cannot take seriously now it has at last followed its inevitable destiny - and force-fed He-Man into the DC Universe - which has WHAT, exactly, to do with him or with MotU?
    This is purely conjecture on my part, but it could have been part of TG's partnership with Geoff Johns. Johns gets to write a MOTU story, add MOTU as one of his New 52 alternate universes, and gets his very own MOTU character, while TG gets MOTU comics and advertising in DC comics.

I think asking for well-written, canon and history knowledgeable MOTU titles might have been too much to ask over at DC. What current DC Comics creators are MOTU fans? Who'd suffer the current creative climate revolving door to write or draw a MOTU book? The closest thing to a fan that Toyguru might have been comfortable with might have been Giffen.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    [QUOTE=MegaGearMax;3256633]Thanks Tallstar!

• Teela managed to rescue herself while He-Man is in trouble. Sexism trope averted.

• Adora and Teela recognize each other? Strange...

True - but it's not like he's going to hit the deck from 300 feet and actually die, is it....? So I guess 'in trouble' is relative.

Strange indeed; mutual dreams... Sounds like one of our dodgier fan polls (just kidding; probably!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Thanks Tallstar!

This is purely conjecture on my part, but it could have been part of TG's partnership with Geoff Johns. Johns gets to write a MOTU story, add MOTU as one of his New 52 alternate universes, and gets his very own MOTU character, while TG gets MOTU comics and advertising in DC comics.

I think asking for well-written, canon and history knowledgeable MOTU titles might have been too much to ask over at DC. What current DC Comics creators are MOTU fans? Who'd suffer the current creative climate revolving door to write or draw a MOTU book? The closest thing to a fan that Toyguru might have been comfortable with might have been Giffen.
    That is a VERY intriguing conjecture. One cannot help but wonder. And you may well be right - I couldn't say. Who could? More than a little sinister, if so.....

All the same, I think a great many of us would have been more satisfied and less hostile if the writers HAD been MotU fans - or at least prepared to learn the (t)ropes. And, frankly, better at their craft. I confess I shudder to think of what might have come out of the DC dungeon-dimension door if there had been someone LESS Eternia-inclined than Giffen tasked with this. It all makes me yearn for Val Staples - and mourn what might have been; before the institutionalized silliness set in.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I'm glad that MOTUC is getting more releases and I'll buy every issue that comes out.

But, I do dislike the costume changes. What's with the obsession to introduce tights/pants on every male character and at the same time minimize clothing on female characters? I mean, I can see the sense in armoring up from time to time. Just give armor to everyone equally, please.
    I think it's because it is easier to draw smooth skin and tights rather than flowing or loose clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    I think it's because it is easier to draw smooth skin and tights rather than flowing or loose clothing.
    especially when you have a monthly deadline with multiple frames, that will need to be inked colored before press. And then there is the eeh do it again, you still only have a week to finish it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

Snout Spout!!!! Did everyone else see him? Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Just because Teela managed to grab onto a ledge doesn't erase all the terrible things they've done to all the women in this series (except Despera and Shadow Weaver. They've escaped this sort of stuff ).

The preview was good...but...the story and dialogue are definite issues. Teela AND Despera recognize each other, thought they just knew each other from a dream...then Teela wants He-Man to "gut her and be done with it." Wow. Just WOW. You know, Teela's always been one of my favourite characters, but I kind of agree with whomever said it, about not caring at all if DC's Teela was killed off. She is SO unlikable, rude, brash and in this instance, kind of stupid. Let's not find out how/why we know each other and just kill her dead and be done with it? How about, knock her out, tie her up, imprison her (the leader of the attack) and find out what the heck is going on. Maybe capturing the leader could END the attack? THIS Teela is definitely not a woman of many thoughts, outside killing things and getting naked in front of groups of men (which include her father).

Yeah, that's right. #DCTeelaShade

If Despera and the Evil Horde conquer/destroy Eternia, this could be a fun "alternate universe" story...because...they're pretty much the only characters that are written well so far.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; May 11, 2013 at 03:18pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Snout Spout!!!! Did everyone else see him? Good for him.

Just because Teela managed to grab onto a ledge doesn't erase all the terrible things they've done to all the women in this series (except Despera and Shadow Weaver. They've escaped this sort of stuff ).

The preview was good...but...the story and dialogue are definite issues. Teela AND Despera recognize each other, thought they just knew each other from a dream...then Teela wants He-Man to "gut her and be done with it." Wow. Just WOW. You know, Teela's always been one of my favourite characters, but I kind of agree with whomever said it, about not caring at all if DC's Teela was killed off. She is SO unlikable, rude, brash and in this instance, kind of stupid. Let's not find out how/why we know each other and just kill her dead and be done with it? How about, knock her out, tie her up, imprison her (the leader of the attack) and find out what the heck is going on. Maybe capturing the leader could END the attack? THIS Teela is definitely not a woman of many thoughts, outside killing things and getting naked in front of groups of men (which include her father).

Yeah, that's right. #DCTeelaShade

If Despera and the Evil Horde conquer/destroy Eternia, this could be a fun "alternate universe" story...because...they're pretty much the only characters that are written well so far.

Yes; agree entirely with all of that - and more, and better besides... You are bang-on about this tediously one-dimensional Teela. They've been awful to the women - and near as bad to the men - at least Adam the princely jerk and He-Man the killer of quasi-non-combatants. The writing and the dialogue and characterization are always issues in this DC-inspired world. But - hey - the colours are nice - and I love the architecture - far the best depiction of Eternos yet - so look on the bright side! Pity about the rest of it - but one can't have everthing.

I've even been wondering if this Eternia ALREADY IS an alternative universe - where the goodies are nasty pieces of work and the baddies sympatici. Anyone remember the MVC "Dark Reflections" with MAA going through a portal to an Eternia where He-Man was a brutal killer without heroic virtues (and no doubt Teela has Tourettes, too.)? Maybe that Eternia was this Eternia! Gosh - that would explain everything!

Heroic Warrior
    I haven't been following the new comics so I don't know why He-man is wearing that costume but it looks ridiculous. And why is the Power Sword's handle gold? Why do artists always feel like they have to change a character's appearance? I find it arrogant. I would have really looked forward to this had He-man looked like He-man. It reminds me of DC Vs Marvel. Spider-man finally meets some DC characters but it's not really Spider-man, it's Ben Reilly, his clone. Thor fights Captain Marvel, but he's wearing a new costume and doesn't even look like Thor. Stuff like that really disappoints me. And if they fight, you know who DC is going to make win. Not looking forward to this!

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #5
    Written by KEITH GIFFEN
    Art by POP MHAN
    Cover by ED BENES
    On sale AUGUST 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
    Despara’s origin revealed! Plus, Hordak tells a shocking story that will change her world forever!

Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG