HE-MAN: THE ETERNITY WAR
"Part Three: Time and Fire"
Script: Dan Abnett
Art: Pop Mhan
Colour: Mark Roberts
Story: Rob David
Cover: Stjepan Sejic
High above the Sands of Time, She-Ra leads Stratos and an aerial squadron in search of the Eye of Chrono. Their mission is jeopardized by the appearance of Catra, Scorpia and a Horde Army! Will the Princess of Power defeat these women from her past and retrieve the Eye? The Eternity War is just getting started!
You can get the comic issue from your local comicbook shop or digitally via ComiXology.
Hordak looks like Movie-Megatron ... it felt shorter than the last issue but She-Ra kicking asses/tails/airships is always fun.
OMG at what they did to Scorpia. Hope someone can stitch her back together!
Great to see Vultak too. Those Etherian characters look great on Eternia - I just hope we get to go back to Etheria, perhaps for 'Despara' to avenge herself.
Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo
"That should take the sting out of it." Hahaha, my favorite line in this book!! It just has this cheesy 80s feel to it, I love it.
This was a pretty fun issue to see She-Ra in action, but again it felt a bit short. Not sure how I feel about Hordak's look yet though. I don't necessarily dislike it, but it feels like Mumm-Ra and Megatron had a baby.
The "His Sister you idiot" bit was priceless.
Teela Goddess's revelation to She Ra, and her "voice over" as the action started was exceptional.
Dan Abnett's She-Ra is my favorite MOTU character, bar none.
The overall flow and story is so good that I don't even mind the "bickering bimbos" Filmation-esque silliness
The "I love draego man!" thread! - http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=211557
Scorpia will have to go to the healer for that wound.
This issue was fun. It was like a stage in a videogame featuring She-Ra and Stratos. I wish Stratos had his old design or even his 200X look. Stratos versus Vultak was awesome.
The Blonde Teela Thread
The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread
Sagitar (Jetlag) Horde Wraiths Azdar Belzar Chazdar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Teenage Prince Adam 200X Teenage Teela 200X Sorceress General Rattlor (MYP) 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena Ice Armor He-Man WMD Roboto
Just finished it.
What a great homage to the Princess of Power series. The highlighting of Vultak; the bumbling and arguing between Catra and Scorpia working just well enough without changing the tone too much; Catra's cat form actually being a challenge for She-Ra; and She-Ra in action with some one-liners - pure gold.
I swear, Shuki Levy's score played in my head during the sequence where She-Ra jumps onto the gunship.
Also, what fun to see some character fights that have heretofore never occurred! Stratos vs. Vultak was a fight that I never knew I wanted to see so badly.
I don't mind Hordak's new look one bit, and I would love to see it in Classics (or whatever Classics becomes). I thought the same about She-Ra's design too. I need a toy of that!
There is so much potential in this series. I hope it lasts a good long time.
Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
He-Man: You're learning.
This issue was great. The banter between Scorpia and Catra was great and exhibited their personalities and their relationship in a short amount of time. The face-off with She-ra was also a great way to bring in She-ra's history as Despara for a sense of continuity. I almost want to pick up the trade paperback Abnett wrote before Eternity War though I recall the art was by someone else besides Mhan and turned me off from picking those issues up originally.
DC's He-Man started off terribly but Eternity War has been a great read every issue. I hope more fans realize these comics are legitimately fun now, especially for MOTU/POP fans, and give it a try as it's a wonderful feeling to experience fresh new adventures with these characters.
Spoilers ...obviously. Really good issue! Dan Abnet strikes me as someone who either does his homework or is a Filmation fan since on many occasions I've now felt that I'm reading a Filmation adaptation into comic form. Did any one else read "she-graa" the first time catra mutters the word? And Panther form catra steals the show as I didn't see it coming.
The last run was really good as well for those interested. We get 3 arcs starting with Desparas story, which leads into a great story featuring Teela's ascendence and wraps up with the blood of Grayskull.
Top wants: 3 main Twiggets, Red Knight, Granita, Hunga the Harpy, Dylamug, Vultak, Enchantress, Kothos, General Tataran, Evil Seed (Filmation), Masque, Sybiline (pack-in Gorgon), Melaktha, Despara, toy Catra, Master Sebrian, Andros, Sorceress NA comic, Kex Queen, Lodar, Green trap Jaw, Pink tri-Klops, pale monkey feet Stratos, Orange Ram man, Pale Man e Faces
My thoughts about the issue #3 of the Eternity War:
What i liked most:
- First off all the art. Pop Mhan's pencils and Mark Roberts wonderful colours don't stop to amaze me, issue after issue!
- Adora and Teela's heart to heart chat, at the beginning of this issue
- Vultak and Stratos air duel. Having them engaged those two in combat, was an intelligent choice, and it was nice touch to give at their struggle a more personal tone, after what Vultak did to Stratos's people. At the end all hail the King of Avion.
- From the way that Stratos refered to She-Ra, it seems that the Eternians don't know yet that she was Despara. It was wise from both He-Man and She-Ra's part to not reveal it yet, since they are at the middle of the war, but it will be interesting to see the reactions, when the truth inevitably will surface, since now the Horde knows.
- Nice little fun moment with Scorpia's comment about one of the most common misconceptions, back at the 80's, about She-Ra's relationship with He-Man.
- It was so good to see She-Ra in action and kicking around again, and the battle of the Skies was really well handled
- Filmation's Temple of the Sun, nough said. The artwork did it justice, at every aspect of it!
- The duel between She-Ra, Catra and Scorpia is like a movie's choreography, and Catra's transformation is fantastic. Again the artwork here is amazing.
- Hordak's armor is looking good so far. Not mind blowing, and a little too Megatron-like, but it shall do its work.
What i didn't like so much:
- The dialogue at some points it felt a bit too cheesy for my tastes and didn't fit very well with the issue's tone. Especially Catra and Scorpia acted a lot of times, like 10 years old spoiled children, not like two of the most high ranked officers of the Horde's army. And when She-Ra revealed herself as the former Horde Captain Despara, their response was "alright let's get her", pretty immature i think, and it wasted the opportunity, to give more depth to a moment, that otherwise should be a very powerful one, which felt at the end a bit hollow, considering the common past of the three women. In my opinion from all the various Horde members that we have seen appear through the DC comic (Shadow Weaver, Grizzlor, Mantenna, Vultak etc), Scorpia and Catra had the weaker characterization so far..
- The issue felt again as a really fast read. Even quicker than the previous one!
- How on Eternia, Hordak appear from nowhere, in the Sands of Time. Unless he has teleportation now, as one of his new powers
- A bit disappointed that the awesome Horde Sky Sleds of the cover, didn't appear in the comic. I love to see how they would look.
Overall i enjoyed this issue. It was a fun, action packed comic, but it lacked of any particular character and emotional moment (with the exception of She-Ra's and Teela's moment at the beginning), an element that was constantly present at every previous issue of Dan Abnett's run, and it felt again a bit too fast. But it was ended with an awesome cliffhanger, and i' m eager to see what's going to happen next.
P.S She-Ra is giving some serious damage to the Horde's airships! Great memories!
Last edited by granamyr80; February 26, 2015 at 12:03pm.
Scropia getting her tail cut off awesome, as well as catras cat form the the explaination of the source of the eyes of grayskull andshera stone. Nice to see the temple of the sun, but the Vultak vs stratos air fight was great. They even had this idea back in the day of filmation
The real question is....
Did you find Lookee?
We were specifically told that Dare would not be in 2014-2015, see the words straight from Scott here: http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...808#9101046808
OMG seriously?! That's amazing! I missed Lookee the first time I read this issue but that's a great easter egg to put in an issue like this and gives the story another reason to read through it again.
I did see Lookee in Eternity War #2.
Wow! The definitive She-Ra vs. Catra and Scorpia fights. I do hope they mix things up later though. I want to see She-Ra go against some of He-Man's classic foes.
I'm loving Eternity War.