Thread: Should any main heroic warriors be killed-off in the movie, or any possible sequels?

Should any main heroic warriors be killed-off in the movie, or any possible sequels?

One of the more interesting story-arcs, in MOTU has been the death of Duncan. Duncan, also known as Man-At-Arms who's the heroic leader of the Royal Guard, may appear rough and tough, but he has a softer side too, especially when it comes to Teela.

I think Duncan gives Adam a hard time, because he not only wants to train and prepare him, but he also knows Adam likes Teela, and he's being a good Father.

An evil spell was cast upon Duncan making him a member of the Viper Clan and making him one of the Snakemen. This once allie of the Royal Family, who bravely fought with and for Captain/King Randor, as a heroic warrior, now became a villainous henchman of King Hiss during the second Battleground.

During the Second Battleground, Snake Man-At-Arms was morally wounded, and momentarily transformed, with the help of a magic spell, back into his human form, before passing-away.

Really, they lost Duncan twice. First, when he was turned into a Snakemen, and then, again, when he was wounded and killed, in battle.

Now, I'm not saying they have to follow this exact story-line. In-fact, I'd prefer they not go into the Snakemen, or King Hiss, in the first film (assuming there are sequels). I'd prefer, the first film deal only with Skeletor.

In a way, Skeletor is a bit like loosing a heroic character too. Here, we have Prince Keldor, the half-brother of Prince Randor. But, Keldor was an outsider. His blue-skinned Gar race were treated differently.

In a way, you could make the assumption, that there was some racial tension, in Eternia, and Prince Keldor, may have experienced some of that tension. We really don't know much about Randor and Keldor's father, or their mothers. Although, someone, on another posting mentioned that Illumina may be Keldor's mother. Illumina was a Gar refugee, who became a heroic warrior. Illumina was also a member of the Guardians of Grayskull, the sect who preserved the secrets of Grayskull.

Having this knowledge, may explain how Keldor knew so much about the Power Sword. If his mother was Illumina, than that means there was some good in him.

Obviously, Randor was chosen to be king, and Keldor resented his brothers assention, and the discrimination he felt he experienced.

Keldor's story is a bit like that of Anikan, in that he turned to the dark side. He was told he could rule Eternia, by the great Hordak. He became an apprentice of Hordak, and was taught the dark arts. It was then, that he was banished, and thus began his slow decent into being a villian. Of course, he could have been redeemed, at this point. So, like Duncan, this was the first time they lost Keldor.

Later, Hordak was captured and banished to another dimension, sometimes called the Wasteland. Keldor assumed the role of leader of the Horde Army and formed his own band of soldiers. Eventually, Keldor was mortally wounded, with acid.

It was, at this point, they lost Keldor a second time.

But, unlike Duncan, Keldor didn't get his humanity back and die in dignity. No, he made a pact with Hordak. Help me. Save my life, and I will release you. Of course, Keldor had no intention of releasing Hordak, but Hordak was later released.

To save Keldor, Hordak merged Keldor with another species known as Demo-Man, and transforming him into Skeletor. In a way, this is the third time, they lost Keldor. Not only had he pursued evil, died in battle, but now, he was forever transformed into a demonic monster, bent on destruction.

Hordak returned, and Prince Randor, also known as Captain Randor married Earthling Captain Marlena Glenn. Queen Marlena gave-birth to twins: Adam and Adora. Hordak learned of a prophecy, that these twins may unlock the Power of Grayskull. He made a deal with Skeletor.

Abduct the children, and I'll let you have Eternia. But, something went wrong, and Skeletor was only able to abduct the infant Princess Adora. Hordak took Adora to the planet of Etheria, deep in the Dimension of Despondos, where he raised her, as his own, and turned her into a captain in the Horde Army. It was only later, that she was reunited with her brother Adam, and learned of her true identity and became She-Ra Princess of Power.

In a way, I guess, you could say, they had to mourn princess Adora too, and in a way, Hordak had to morne the loss of his adoptive/kidnapped daughter, when he lost her to good.

So, as you can see, there have been multiple cases, where main characters have been lost. In most cases, this is a very dramatic, emotional moment, that either forwards the story, or forever changes other characters.

So, my question, to you is, should a main heroic warrior be killed-off, in the movie, or any possible sequels?
    Last edited by orkro; March 20, 2014 at 01:27pm.

That is a very long post for asking a very simple question.

I don't really want to focus too much on Keldor because I'll start writing just about him. I will say I don't like the idea of the heroes "losing" people multiple times, be it Keldor or Duncan.

On the subject of Adora, I would like her disappearance, along with Keldor's mysterious and unexplained vanishing on that very same night to be referenced, even to play a big role in (for example) how the King and Queen raised Prince Adam, but for the purposes of this thread I'm just going to stick to heroes dying during the main plot of the movie in the present, rather than approximately twenty years ago.

Yeah, I'd be okay with seeing other Heroic Warriors die. Maybe not the big ones, like Stratos, Teela, or Man-At-Arms, but casualties help the audience get emotionally invested if they knew the character before. Mekanek? Roboto? Man-E-Faces? Sure. I feel like killing off Ram Man especially would pack a big punch.

Of course, I would be more than willing to see the Evil Warriors take casualties too.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by orkro View Post
    One of the more interesting story-arcs, in MOTU has been the death of Duncan.
    No. This happened only in MOTU Classics, one single aspect of MOTU - and far from embraced by all fans, many of whom see the bios and minicomics as poorly-written fanfiction and no more.

It doesn't apply across the board to all MOTU continuities.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    No. This happened only in MOTU Classics, one single aspect of MOTU - and far from embraced by all fans, many of whom see the bios and minicomics as poorly-written fanfiction and no more.

It doesn't apply across the board to all MOTU continuities.
    I agree. In my personal collection MAA is very much alive and Clamp Champ doesn't exist. As for the Op's question....I dont think its nessessary till the sequels and even then only if it is crucial to the advancement of the story and not just for the purpose of killing someone.