Thread: So am I the only one here who DOESN'T like Despara?

Court Magician Captain Lhurgoyf's Avatar

So am I the only one here who DOESN'T like Despara?

Everywhere I go on the org I see people talking about Despara as the one good thing about the new DC comics. Everyone loves her design, everyone loves her concept, everyone wants her in MOTUC.

So, uh...am I the only one who doesn't know what they see in her?

Frankly, I hate Despara. I mean, I like the concept of having Adora actually being raised to be evil (her not seeing how a group that calls itself The EVIL Horde could possibly be evil was the weakest part of Secret of the Sword, let's all admit it), and it could lead to some interesting characterization when she becomes She-Ra, but I feel that the execution could've been done a lot better. The short hair doesn't look good on her, the suit seems more like something from Star Wars than MotU, and the giant Hordak mask just looks ridiculous. And I'm not even getting into the mini-comic fiasco here. Personally, if she comes out in MOTUC I'm not going to get her, and I don't say that about many figures. I much prefer the UK comic's Force Captain Adora look or a Horde Trooper inspired design, like in some fanart I've seen.

Does anyone else agree with me on this? I'm not just crazy, am I?
    Ach! Hans, run! It's the lhurgoyf!

I agree with you. I don't care for her much at all, but she's much better than a lot of other things introduced recently.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't like her much either to be honest. She's not the worst, but ti doesn't do much to excite me either.

Heroic Warrior
    It's matter of personal opinion and taste. Filmation fans are hating anything that is different from the cartoon. Vintage fans they only accept the Barbarian He-Man as the most accurate version of the character (no Prince Adam alter ego, no twin sister etc).

Personally i believe that Despara adds a lot to Adora's character and she is far more interesting version than the Force Captain concept. But as i said is matter of taste. For example i will never understand the appealing of Dare and Skeleteen, since i consider them the worst thing that happen to He-Man and MOTU (and i swear myself that i will abbandon the line the moment that i will see them in MOTUC), but they have their fans. So something that could appeal ugly to a person, at the same time it could be cool for someone else.

And the Hordak Mask is not a stupid thing at all. It shows how Despara saw herself, as Hordak's daughter. Every child sees the parent as a role model, or they want to be like them, or to seek their approval (especially the father/daughter relationship). This is what the Horde Mask symbolize.
    Last edited by granamyr80; December 16, 2014 at 05:36pm.

> So am I the only one here who DOESN'T like Despara?

Yes.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Court Magician Captain Lhurgoyf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    And the Hordak Mask is not a stupid thing at all. It shows how Despara saw herself, as Hordak's daughter. Every child sees the parent as a role model, or they want to be like them, or to seek their approval (especially the father/daughter relationship). This is what the Horde Mask symbolize.
    I understand why the mask is there, I just don't think it looks good. It doesn't match the body and just looks goofy and out of place to me. It's also kind of a rehash of Skeleteen's mask but that's neither here nor there.

Perhaps I should rephrase, I don't mind the concept of a Horde-loyal Adora at all, but I find the Despara design very aesthetically unappealing. Everyone I see seems to like it, though, so I wanted to see if I was alone in that opinion or not. I honestly don't see it as any better than Iron Man Cosplay He-Man. Are my standards of cool just different or is there another reason people like the look?
    Ach! Hans, run! It's the lhurgoyf!

Heroic Warrior
    To be honest, if she'd been a different character all together I may have liked her better. She just isn't very "She-Ra" to me. Just a personal tastes thing really. To each his own. I will still gladly buy a toy of her and just not have her be Adora in my canon.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    They will never get this right until they put Adam and Adora on the same planet and doing the same stuff.

I am only interested in 'blue' She-Ra.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    They will never get this right until they put Adam and Adora on the same planet and doing the same stuff.

I am only interested in 'blue' She-Ra.
    Actually this is exactly what the DC MOTU comic is doing right now, with the previous arc, and with the upcoming Eternity War!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ...no. that's red She-Ra, and marc7 -ironmanpants- He-Man.