Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #13 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #13 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    ONGOING COMIC SERIES

Issue #13
    "The Blood of Grayskull" part 1 (Prologue)

Based on a story by: Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine
    Script: Dan Abnett
    Art: Pop Mhan
    Cover: Pop Mhan

Solicitation date: April 23rd, 2014
    Release date: May 28th, 2014

"Before a new adventure begins, take a journey back 1,000 years to the reign of King Grayskull. Newly victorious over Hordak, it is a time of great victory and celebration for the King and Castle Grayskull stands in all of its regal glory. But an ominous prophecy weighs upon the crown, and sinister forces are already at work to see that it comes true."

You can get the issue at your local comicbook store or from comixology!

Wow. Pretty deep story... Harsh, but good to see MOTU growing up... And definitely better than the recent garbage we got. (Sorry, but was not a fan of the last arc.)
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

This was such a good read. Loved that they included Kuduk Ungol and Teela Na as oracles. And the panel with Saryn slitting King Grayskull's throat! Intense.

I wonder if we'll start seeing requests for a Saryn figure..
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Snappy Threader
    Cant wait to pick this up. I hope the local store has them out in about an hour.....

VERY good! SO much better than anything else this series has done!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I was surprised to see a few people 1000 years in the past. I did like all of the Sorceresses gathered in one spot, Veena, Kodak Ungol and Teela'Na with her strawberry blonde hair.

Is Saryn supposed to be Keldor's mom?

King Hsss was Adi?

This book keeps on getting better!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Well, now we know why people hate the Gars in the DCU ... and it's understandable. It's also tragic in that they were pawns of an evil that was ancient in Grayskull's time ...

So, Hordak, King Hiss, Skeletor, the Sorceress, Grayskull .... it all comes together and springs forth from this point.

King Hsss is a major player in all of this...he instigated the Gars going up against the humans and later he killed Randor and tried to trick He-Man into freeing the Snake Men.

And he's now manipulating Despara.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

These just keep getting better. I loved seeing the tapestries with the Three Towers, in the background at the banquet.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Crita, MYP Evilseed, Tung Lashor, Queen Angela & Lodar

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I think Dan Abnett has been getting into the Game of Thrones pool a bit too much.

Aside from the Thrones vibe, I got to give props for the comic getting dark. It is a bit shocking looking at MOTU characters in this light.

A couple of things. I don't think we're looking at Teela-na from our time that becomes the Sorceress. I'm thinking she's an ancestor the the modern Teela-na. I'm also wondering if they murdered Veena, where's the heir?

This civil war that ensued does explain the hatred for Gars. They killed a beloved king. I'm wondering if history got obscured and they changed the truth about Grayskull into a legend and myth.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenskull View Post
    These just keep getting better. I loved seeing the tapestries with the Three Towers, in the background at the banquet.
    One thing I really like about those--besides a long-standing love for the Towers--is the implication that there are legends and myths beyond and behind Grayskull. Perhaps there's room for He-Ro vs. King Hssss in the distant past of DCternia.

HOLY CRAP!!!

Pretty serious issue for a Gar fan! Wow so is Saryn Keldor's mother? Or at least his ancestor?

I loved how the Gar thought they had to kill King Grayskull both because they were deceived and because they thought forging the sword was the act of a villain. They're guilty of a betrayal and at the same time were well-intentioned. That's a cool conflict IMO. Presumably they've seen kings get corrupt with power before, but I like that a half-truth was used to deceive them. Yeah it's a little Game of Thrones-y, but I like that it takes that extreme so it can in my own mind be merged with the Kirby-esque MYP episode that first gave us the King Grayskull vs. Hordak scene. I don't like that they made Anwat Gar the home of all the Gar people, but that fits with what Classics has been doing so I guess it's okay. Also I don't agree with putting Teela Na right there with Veena, but I like that they included Koduc Ungol like that and that they are part of an order (so still the potential of other sorceresses). It's its own canon and I get that, and on those grounds I really really liked it. I think it's a good start to explaining the Gar--though still we don't have much info on how Teela Na and possibly Saryn lived to sire children thousands of years later (it's still thousands, right?).

I'm a little surprised how close the name Saryn is to a name I made up for one of Grayskull's female elders in my unofficial bios (Seryn). Cool!
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Warrior
    "Tu quoque Saryn fili mi".

This would be the title that i would choose for issue #13, since it's a bit influenced from "Julius Ceasar" starring King Grayskull as Ceasar, King Hsss as Cassius, Saryn as Brutus, Queen Veena as Calpurnia and Lazer Lot as Marc Anthony (based from what we saw about him in the first digital issue when he hunted Grayskull's assassins).

The issue was good, both art and plot. They gave a good explanation about how the mistrust between the humans and the Gars started, avoiding the cliche "any blue person is bad" and this is the major success of this issue.

King Hsss is becoming really the best MOTU villain right now. He is a threat that cannot be calculated, an enemy without a face or better an enemy with a thousand faces, who is acting, manipulating, planning from the shadows. A formidable adversary that you can not fight him directly. Somehow it reminds me the Unnamed One from MOTUC canon (and really i would prefer Hsss for this role than Gorpo).

At the same time this issue has raised many questions:

Did the Zoar's Priestesses/Oracles have given a longer life span? It must be the case, otherwise it can't be explained, how Teela'Na is there. And it seems that Veena was not the first Sorceress, but Kuduk Ungol or someone else even older.

How the bottomless pit that surrounds Castle Grayskull was created in the DC canon?

In the MYP series King Grayskull had mystic powers that once he died they transferred to his Sword and his Council. In DC canon it seems that actually is the Sword that has these powers and Grayskull is just a common person that gain his powers from the Sword. If that's the case what happen at the Council of Elders once King Grayskull died? What happened to the Sword of Power?

What happened to Veena? Did they have heir or heirs with King Grayskull and if yes where are they?

What's the origin of the Sword of Protection? It appears that is different from the Sword of Power.

If Saryn is "connected" somehow to Keldor/Skeletor how is this possible since she lived a thousand years before him?

A lot of questions really.

Oh and i think we need a Saryn support thread in MOTUC (besides apart from Shokoti we don't have another Gar female in MOTUC).
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 28, 2014 at 06:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Oh and i think we need a Saryn support thread in MOTUC (besides apart from Shokoti we don't have another Gar female in MOTUC).
    There is also Illumina.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    There is also Illumina.
    Yeah Illumina is great and visually would made a better figure. And also is difficult to incorporate Saryn in the MOTUC canon, because King Grayskull's story is different between the two continuities. But she could fill an important gap in MOTUC canon because of her "connection" with Keldor!

I won't set Illumina aside, but Saryn definitely seems poised to become a very important (and I would guess fan-demaned) character. She might be Keldor's mother, and is also King Grayskull's Judas/murderer.

Actually I'm not even sure that this doesn't agree with the MOTUC canon as King Grayskull's bio doesn't actually say he died on the battlefield as he did in the MYP episode.
    It only says:
    Growing up under the oppressive rule of the Snake Men, D'Vann was driven to rebel against injustice when his brother was captured and eaten. Others flocked to Grayskull's banner and his legend began to grow. Declared King for his courage, compassion, wisdom and strength, Grayskull became a great leader ruling along with his council of wise Elders. A destined guardian of the Sword of He, Grayskull magically passed his essence into the blade with his last breath - ensuring that only his heirs would now wield it and tap into the great power it harmonized with. After his death, the sword was split in two and its power transcended into a great orb inside his castle, protected by Grayskulll's devoted and loving widow.
    Aside from the Sword of He existing before him, the betrayal of the Gars and Saryn could fit into MOTUC unless another bio I've forgotten actually says how King Grayskull died.
    Last edited by gbagok; May 28, 2014 at 08:08pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    WOW, a really dark story with a feel of a Shakespearean tragedy. This is definitely not a Filmation era story we’re reading!!!!

The comic is #13 of this series and turns out seriously unlucky for Hordak, King Grayskull and human/Gar relations.

I too am puzzled over why Grayskull would forge a second power sword (i.e. the Sword of Protection) as indicated on the comic cover when he only learnt of the prophecy the night of his murder/assassination? Did he actually forge a second power sword? And if not is DC deliberately giving us red herrings on comic covers? Alternatively, was he planning to give a second power sword to an existing heir?

Regardless, Saryn has now done a dark deed and feels remorseful for her actions. Will she try and make amends and try to preserve Grayskull’s legacy? Will she take Grayskull’s power sword (or a second power sword or one half of a split sword) to her ancestral home on Anwat Gar, where another troubled lady (Adora) seeking redemption for her own past deeds will find it a 1000 years later? Her tone physique and the swiftness and precision with which she slits King’s Grayskull’s throat seems to indicate a warrior who’s killed before rather than a delicate King’s handmaiden.

Hssss’s goal may be to bring about the Goddess’s prophecy where two of Grayskull’s line will fight each other for the Power of Grayskull and in the process devastate Eternia. I therefore wonder if he is planning to re-populate Eternia with Snakemen?

Both Hordak (in the origin of Skeletor) and now Hsss seem keen on obtaining the blood of Grayskull or one of his heirs. Are they both planning to mix the DNA with their own in order to control a power sword for their own ends?
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Heroic Warrior
    I think that in one of the interviews it was said that both Hordak and Hsss were aware of the prophecy. We saw how Hsss learned about it. I guess Hordak was informed somehow later on. And both tried to make that the prophecy will become reality, each one for their own reasons and motivations.

Hordak because he wanted revenge against Grayskull's heirs, so he tried to corrupt and turn each heir against the other (we know that he tried to do this with Randor, Keldor and later with Adora).

Hsss because he saw at the prophecy, an opportunity to reclaim Eternia for himself and his people, and for this reason he is maybe also behind Keldor's birth.

It's interesting that Skeletor, Hordak and Hsss long for Eternia's Power, but they don't have the same level of knowledge about it.

Skeletor as the younger of the three doesn't seem that knows much. He is associated it with Castle Grayskull, for this reason his obsession with it.

Hordak at some point during his long life, he learned that the Star Seed (or Horokoth as the Horde calls it) is located on Eternia, and this was the reason that he brought him there. But he doesn't know where exactly on Eternia. Perhaps the thing, that at the beginning of issue #7 the Horde was looking at the Plains of Perpetua was actually an access to Eternity, and it explains why Hsss as Randor moved the Eternian forces against them.

Hsss, between the three of them, has the greatest knowledge about Eternity, the Star Seed and the Goddess, not only because he is ancient almost as Hordak, but also because he lived on Eternia all these years.

DC 52 Heman and the masters of the universe issue #13 CONTAINS SPOILERS

So if anyone has read it yet, intreasting take on the existing mythos. Some cool things to point out
    1. Are those Giant brown Sleboran Slug men Attacking King grayskulls troops
    2. Hordaks Troops look like Batros with out the wings in Horde armor.
    3. Sage Adi and Sayrn look similar to the 2 council of Wisdom members that appear in the MVC Comics although Adi is bald in this.
    4. That Snake Blade is Awesome, Shapeways here we come.
    5. Veena is shown with her staff. Very cool.
    6. Gorto is a cool new character, an evil Sy-clone.

Heroic Warrior
    Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    1. Yes
    2. I also think they are the same species as Batros.
    3. Possible
    4. No comment
    5. A weapon accessory for her figure if it ever happens.
    6. Ehhh.

The issue was interesting but I don't understand the Teela-Na and Unger deal. Why are they a thousand years in the past which is supposed to be five thousand years? The other thing that bothered me was to see how easy it was to kill Grayskull. That was lame. These story reboots do get on my nerves. Leave well enough alone. I take it like the bios and ignore it for the most part. Overall 5 minutes that spent reading it and probably never will again.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I want the person in toy, who killed KG, considering how she was "like a daughter" to him.
    Does Galactus fart?

I think it was a good story but with one glaring problem, it felt rushed.

I would have also liked to have got to see more of the relationship between the various people, such as King Grayskull and Saryn, before those unfortunate events transpired so that I got a better sense of who they were and how dramatic and emotional this treachery is.

Instead it seemed to just be "This is King Grayskull and these Gars are his friends...oh and now they've murdered him."

Also I can kinda understand killing the King and Queen too stop the "prophecy" but did they have to kill the innocent ppl living in the city as well? That really doesn't help their cause. Okay killing the King unprovoked (which to everyone but the Gars it was) doesn't help their cause, but the rest just seemed like overkill and was simply increasing the chance that the leaders of the other races might consider that perhaps Eternia would be better off without these blue skinned mass murdering backstabbers and may either banish them or else try and wipe them out in an act of genocide.

Now I know that Adi was King Hiss in disguise and so he probably doesn't care or perhaps even wants the Gars to be reviled, but surely a few of them would have said "Hmm, I am not sure if this is such a good idea, perhaps we shouldn't kill the guy who just saved us all from the Horde?"

But those are questions I hope are answered in future issues and my main problem is how rushed it felt, everything just happened too quick. I think it should have been spread over at least 2 issues with the surprise attack happening at the end of #14
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I think it was a good story but with one glaring problem, it felt rushed.
    I think that at this point the Gars had been convinced, in the same way as Saryn that King Grayskull, will eventually be corrupted and return to a tyrant and his legacy will be the doom of Eternia. From this issue it appears that the conspiracy was planned earlier. As for the motivation for what they did after, i believe that they were afraid for the immediate reaction by Grayskull's people, for this reason they didn't question the orders that they take.
    It also appears that the modern Eternians don't have a clear picture for the events of this era. They even thought that Hordak was a legend. So maybe they did believe that actually Grayskull died in the battlefield.
    And yeah this story (and the whole Preternia era) needs its own arc for comprehend better the relationships between the characters and the between the people of Eternia.

I'm curious about King Grayskull's 3 Council Elders.

Interesting twist they are now all Gar, when MYP had different races in the Council.

(They got Giant Statues built that we saw in Ongoing issue #4)

[left image, Issue #4 - right image, Issue #13]

So this has me curious, that when did Hordak attack Eternia, and how long after that attack did King Grayskull forge his Powersword. And those statues were built... before the events in this comic.

A lot of questions.

(we need King Grayskull-emoticons, Nate!)

king-grayskulls-3-council-elders.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I'm curious about King Grayskull's 3 Council Elders.

Interesting twist they are now all Gar, when MYP had different races in the Council.

(They got Giant Statues built that we saw in Ongoing issue #4)
    I have the impression that only Adi was member of the Council. The younger Gars we saw behind him, seems to be part of his entourage. We don't actually see other members of the Council of Elders in the banquet and this is odd. Perhaps Kodak Ungol could be one of them.