Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Even though I'm a weekly comics zombie and haunt my LCS for the latest issues, I'll never sub again probably for the remainder of my days. No horror stories as incited by my LCS to report. Just not a concept I adhere to. I can't say I'll want every issue of a series and I rarely religiously follow any comic book series, unless it's Hellboy. Therefore, I'll simply pick up the floppies ad hoc. Setting up a sub for this comic is a good idea in theory though, especially if it's fire and forget and the issues get delivered to your door and/or PC/Apple machine- not sure how that works.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Angela's coming to the Marvel Universe?!!!!

As for the violence level, Adora has done some atrocities while with the Horde. This makes her story much more rewarding as she as She-Ra and Adora, attempts to atone for her misdeeds. The Horde isn't a nice bunch...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Is it black and white, then?

Snappy Threader
    Yep I'm subbing. Local comic shop is nothing but a bunch of 40-something wizard card players from thier mom's basement and nerds. I have been to some that are wicked cool and not so geeky, but locally......looks like the sex-offender website's home base. So I am SUPER HAPPY to be getting this in a sub.

My problem is with who the Horde kills there. If there were three adults, I wouldn't feel so PO'ed, I guess. I don't have problems with more violence and "realism" there. But I don't need to see

kids being killed
    to have mature entertainment. There's so many possibilites to tell good stories for grown-up readers without stuff like this.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Is it black and white, then?
    I highly doubt it. It happens a lot in previews if the pages weren't colored and/or lettered at the time they had to release the previews.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I highly doubt it. It happens a lot in previews if the pages weren't colored and/or lettered at the time they had to release the previews.
    Ah, okay.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Do we know they're dead?

They appear laying and smoldering from the explosion but the adult is also smoldering before he gets beheaded. Kids die in a blast... adult gets beheaded.
    Pretty gruesome for Eternia!
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

This subscription idea is a bit late. I order my comics through Previews at the local comic shop and have already preordered the first 2 comics. I don't need extra copies of 1 and 2. Thanks DC for being 2 months late. Oh well.

Heroic Warrior
    This series doesn't appeal to me. I really enjoyed the 2002 comics. They kept me wanting the next issue and didn't have to resort to killing every 5 seconds. He-man is better as a superhero role model. In the 2002 comic Adam was devastated when he thought he may have killed Evil-Lyn. I think the Adam coming to terms with situations like that make the story more evocative. I don't mind there being some kind of killing, just not on every single page. If killing and gore become the norm then it loses all of it's shock value.

I just ordered a subscription for the new He-Man & MOTU 12 issues plus the Matty exclusive cover for issue #1....so what the hell, I did it.....

I'm not a comics fan, nor am I much for anything outside of Filmation canon, but meh, $25, whatever....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not liking the direction of the comic. Of the cover artwork shown so far, I like the She-Ra cover the best. The first one makes Teela look like a *****. Not that there is anything wrong with ******, but Teela isn't one. The action figure cover is really blah, I've seen better set-ups from people on this site or over on some other figure sites. I guess in the plus column is the Mighty Spector didn't make the cover or did I miss him? The preview of the first couple pages is way more gruesome than I like MOTU. It appears good storytelling is losing ground in comics and violence and T&A are standing in to appeal to people. It doesn't make anything more relevant or mature to exploit that stuff.
    Good trades with: Cammor

I'm going to order my subscription tomorrow.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Rakashian Calamari View Post
    I've seen better set-ups from people on this site or over on some other figure sites. I guess in the plus column is the Mighty Spector didn't make the cover or did I miss him?
    Maybe it's Lt. Spector flying the Wind Raider?

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    I prefer the Despera cover and look forward to April 17th!

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Maybe it's Lt. Spector flying the Wind Raider?
    Haha Jukka, if it isn't him in the Raider, he will go back in time and make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I prefer the Despera cover and look forward to April 17th!
    I too prefer the regular cover...

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    When does the ongoing start.
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzysim3 View Post
    This series doesn't appeal to me. I really enjoyed the 2002 comics. They kept me wanting the next issue and didn't have to resort to killing every 5 seconds. He-man is better as a superhero role model. In the 2002 comic Adam was devastated when he thought he may have killed Evil-Lyn. I think the Adam coming to terms with situations like that make the story more evocative. I don't mind there being some kind of killing, just not on every single page. If killing and gore become the norm then it loses all of it's shock value.

I couldn't agree with you more; you are 100% spot-on with your comments.

The key difference is that we have to expect Despera and her Horde minions to commit atrocities (though do comics need them as brutally graphic as this...? I wonder...) but my chief fear is that He-Man will continue to be depicted as a taker of human life - which is most definitely not the case. The 2002 comics really understood this (and were better in every repect than these offerings) and I too thought at once of the distraught Adam struggling in coming to terms with his supposed killing of Evil-Lyn, which was very moving and evocative.

After all, if He-Man attempts to save Eternia from evil by using the methods of evil, why should Despera turn to the right side and eschew her-Horde corrupted nature, if her brother slays human beings just as readily as she does? She has the excuse of having been perverted by her upbringing. What possible excuse has he?

This isn't just Filmation morality; it's fundamental to what He-Man is and must be if there is to be any meaningful difference between good and evil and if we are even to care who wins.

This new DC direction seems to me to be one cheap shock effect after another; take that element away through over-use and what, exactly, is left? Not a lot, in my view, given what poor, thin stuff its composed of.

I do so wish that the Staples/Santalucia partnership had endured.

As they say in the comics: sigh
    Last edited by Scriptor; March 21, 2013 at 11:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    When does the ongoing start.
    I asked here, no reply, then looked it up, apparently next month around the 17th or 19th, one of them....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more; you are 100% spot-on with your comments.

The key difference is that we have to expect Despera and her Horde minions to commit atrocities (though do comics need them as brutally graphic as this...? I wonder...) but my chief fear is that He-Man will continue to be depicted as a taker of human life. Which is most definitely not the case. The 2002 comics really understood this (and were better in every repect than these offerings) and I too thought at once of the distraught Adam struggling in coming to terms with his supposed killing of Evil-Lyn, which was very moving and evocative.

After all, if He-Man attempts to save Eternia from evil by using the methods of evil, why should Despera turn to the right side and eschew her-Horde corrupted nature, if her brother slays human beings just as readily as she does? She has the excuse of having been perverted by her upbringing. What possible excuse has he?

This isn't just Filmation morality; it's fundamental to what He-Man is and must be if there is to be any meaningful difference between good and evil and if we are even to care who wins.

This new DC direction seems to me to be one cheap shock effect after another; take that element away through over-use and what, exactly, is left? Not a lot, in my view.

I do so wish that the Staples/Santalucia partnership had endured.

As they say in the comics: sigh
    Good guys kill bad guys.....especially barbarians. Orcs, Humans, monster, whatever. Good kills evil in a lot of different media. Why should this new He-man be any different. He's not out slaughtering innocents. He's in the middle of a war for the planet. There will be casualties and collateral damage. This isn't geared towards kids on Saturday morning. I originally was a little disappointed that I couldn't share these with my son and was happy when I could on occasion, like the Orko mini. But I've come to respect it as an adult story done in a more realistic tone.....and I love it. The Evil Lyn digital mini still was a little too Sin City for me but it is what it is. At the end of the day, I can't wait to see the carnage Despera can unleash and how her brother can help redeem her.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    My problem is with who the Horde kills there. If there were three adults, I wouldn't feel so PO'ed, I guess. I don't have problems with more violence and "realism" there. But I don't need to see to have mature entertainment. There's so many possibilites to tell good stories for grown-up readers without stuff like this.
    An evil tyrannical dictatorship doesn't discriminate who is killed in the real world, so why would a fictional one?

Classic fans, you're certainly entitled to your opinions and beliefs. What floors me is how there have been several 'disgruntlements' pertaining to the new comics series about how characters are being portrayed. He-Man slays enemy warriors and monsters, the Horde kills people who don't conform to their wishes, Skeletor tortures the Sorceress without mercy (among other things)....etc....I could go on.

This comic series is depicting the MOTU universe as one at war. Wars in the real world aren't fought with heroes telling smart ass wisecracks and throwing villains into mud bogs only for them to shake their fists to say they return to fight another day.

Truthfully, I really cannot fathom how the Horde in the old Filmation cartoon EVER were able to conquer Etheria and hold the populace in their thrall when the laser wielding robot soldiers are completly incompetent as enforcers and cannot hit a target standing in front of them. The dictator himself(Hordak) is a complete buffoon whose deadly shape shifting arsenal consists of giants with lobster claws and spinning tops. Then, he surrounds himself with generals who are even more incompetent than he is who can be defeated by forest gnomes and witches whose magic isn't even a threat.

The goofy, tomfoolery worked in the 80's for saturday morning cartoon fare because it was geared at young children who would be scared by violent imagery. But, really, NONE of it has any believability to any of it. Even the Skeletor of the Filmation cartoon universe was so inept that he could be defeated by a clownish floating trollan or an angry widget who had had a bad day.

THAT is what has hurt MOTU for decades, where each movie project has been treated as a joke by the entertainment industry. The public has a hard time even thinking it possible for MOTU to be an epic, fantasy, science fiction, adventure franchise because the idea of the Filmation cartoon cannot be gotten out of their heads.

The same treatment happened to Batman after the Adam West goof ball TV series, until Frank Miller's DKR graphic novel came along, followed by Tim Burton's 1989 film and 1992's Batman animated series all helped the public able to accept a more plausible Batman who fought murderers and rapists on a nightly basis.

MOTU absolutely NEEDS more plausible in storytelling treatment. The new comic isn't perfect, but it brings plausibility to the villains at how they could be considered a terrifying force to have to meet. And there is also a plausibility to He-Man having to pick up a sword to fight for his people. Here, he is a soldier, a warrior, who is the only man with the muscle to keep his people safe from a violent, decaying monster who wants to enslave the populace.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzysim3 View Post
    This series doesn't appeal to me. I really enjoyed the 2002 comics. They kept me wanting the next issue and didn't have to resort to killing every 5 seconds. He-man is better as a superhero role model. In the 2002 comic Adam was devastated when he thought he may have killed Evil-Lyn. I think the Adam coming to terms with situations like that make the story more evocative.
    I'm not a fan of He-Man mourning an enemy who has tried to kill him countless times. That's like Captain America crying over the Red Skull. Now if an ally fell to darkness and He-Man had no choice but to kill him is something different!

I don't mind there being some kind of killing, just not on every single page. If killing and gore become the norm then it loses all of it's shock value.
    I DO agree with this. While I think that this is an ancient world and there should be some death or at least the illusion of danger in the stories, I think the most powerful characters in the universe should be extremely hard to kill off. The reason why we wouldn't see MOTU characters getting killed off every issue is because each character is so good at what they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    An evil tyrannical dictatorship doesn't discriminate who is killed in the real world, so why would a fictional one?

Classic fans, you're certainly entitled to your opinions and beliefs. What floors me is how there have been several 'disgruntlements' pertaining to the new comics series about how characters are being portrayed. He-Man slays enemy warriors and monsters, the Horde kills people who don't conform to their wishes, Skeletor tortures the Sorceress without mercy (among other things)....etc....I could go on.

This comic series is depicting the MOTU universe as one at war. Wars in the real world aren't fought with heroes telling smart ass wisecracks and throwing villains into mud bogs only for them to shake their fists to say they return to fight another day.

Truthfully, I really cannot fathom how the Horde in the old Filmation cartoon EVER were able to conquer Etheria and hold the populace in their thrall when the laser wielding robot soldiers are completly incompetent as enforcers and cannot hit a target standing in front of them. The dictator himself(Hordak) is a complete buffoon whose deadly shape shifting arsenal consists of giants with lobster claws and spinning tops. Then, he surrounds himself with generals who are even more incompetent than he is who can be defeated by forest gnomes and witches whose magic isn't even a threat.

The goofy, tomfoolery worked in the 80's for saturday morning cartoon fare because it was geared at young children who would be scared by violent imagery. But, really, NONE of it has any believability to any of it. Even the Skeletor of the Filmation cartoon universe was so inept that he could be defeated by a clownish floating trollan or an angry widget who had had a bad day.

THAT is what has hurt MOTU for decades, where each movie project has been treated as a joke by the entertainment industry. The public has a hard time even thinking it possible for MOTU to be an epic, fantasy, science fiction, adventure franchise because the idea of the Filmation cartoon cannot be gotten out of their heads.

The same treatment happened to Batman after the Adam West goof ball TV series, until Frank Miller's DKR graphic novel came along, followed by Tim Burton's 1989 film and 1992's Batman animated series all helped the public able to accept a more plausible Batman who fought murderers and rapists on a nightly basis.

MOTU absolutely NEEDS more plausible in storytelling treatment. The new comic isn't perfect, but it brings plausibility to the villains at how they could be considered a terrifying force to have to meet. And there is also a plausibility to He-Man having to pick up a sword to fight for his people. Here, he is a soldier, a warrior, who is the only man with the muscle to keep his people safe from a violent, decaying monster who wants to enslave the populace.
    Thank you!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Real world or not, the He-Man I grew up with is wiser and looks for alternative ways....that being said....I do agree with the Horde being hard pressed to conquer seeming like buffoons....but, I am just fine with my MOTU world being less barbaric, but a little more serious....balance is needed, not swinging the gate towards the extreme one way or the other.

My Filmation version of the MOTU world is just fine by me, and nothing will sway that, it's fantasy, not reality, it can be whatever whoever likes it to be. But as I said, if it was a bit more serious, and more dramatic, but still comical, I'd still be happy, Skeletor a little more bad ass....If MOTU was like Smallville, I'd be just fine....Kick ass and take names, but still not all gory and too violent.

That's my take, and how I will see He-Man forever....so, while you certainly have your opinion and that's fine, you like what you like, this is mine. Unneeded killing in MOTU is not necessary.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Agreed.

Love Filmation but it's nice to see a more serious attempt at the MOTU franchise. I'm not a fan of a lot of stuff in the books but I do like the direction taken.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I really like the art in the previews (the farmer looks a bit like Emiliano drew He-Man in 200X era, which is cool)...but I don't like what happens in those two pages...it goes against what happened in the Despera digital issue. spoilers below:

Despera stops a Horde Trooper from killing a woman and child, because they were to be taken to Shadow Weaver for readjustment. You see men in shackles too. I believe the voice over/thoughts of Despera are explaining that people should only be killed if they are fighting/opposing the Horde...not average citizens. In her next appearance she beheads a guy...because he was there? That doesn't add up to her thoughts

"Discipline and Clarity. Without them, power is blind and dumb. With them, it is invincible. Power must be used in service of something. Control."

Now, the only explanation could be: when the Horde crash-land on Eternia, it was like a meteoroid hitting the Earth causing fire, devastation, etc. Those kids were burned to a crisp and the man was dying. Beheading him could have been a mercy kill. Still, that scene was just put in the comic to be shocking/disgusting/gross. So far, not happy with the "graphic deaths = good story telling" mentality...because it doesn't. Telling a GOOD STORY = good story telling. Hopefully we get that, because the Despera digital issue (minus the inexcusably horrific and throw-away treatment of Flutterina), was amazing!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah