Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    An evil tyrannical dictatorship doesn't discriminate who is killed in the real world, so why would a fictional one?
    Classic fans, you're certainly entitled to your opinions and beliefs. What floors me is how there have been several 'disgruntlements' pertaining to the new comics series about how characters are being portrayed. He-Man slays enemy warriors and monsters, the Horde kills people who don't conform to their wishes, Skeletor tortures the Sorceress without mercy (among other things)....etc....I could go on.
    This comic series is depicting the MOTU universe as one at war. Wars in the real world aren't fought with heroes telling smart ass wisecracks and throwing villains into mud bogs only for them to shake their fists to say they return to fight another day.
    MOTU absolutely NEEDS more plausible in storytelling treatment. The new comic isn't perfect, but it brings plausibility to the villains at how they could be considered a terrifying force to have to meet. And there is also a plausibility to He-Man having to pick up a sword to fight for his people. Here, he is a soldier, a warrior, who is the only man with the muscle to keep his people safe from a violent, decaying monster who wants to enslave the populace.
    Well, this is fiction and not the real world.
    In the real world, women are raped in war times more often than not. Do we now want to see a flashback wherein Skeletor raped the Sorceress, because "that would happen in the real world"? Shall Hordak be revealed to be a child molester because "that would be plausible"? And here's my problem with kids dying in a MotU comic - I don't want MotU to be THAT real and plausible. If I want that, I go and watch "Game of Thrones". But I don't need a family property turned into that just so a couple folks don't have to feel ashamed that they are or have been fans of a brand that once had a cartoon show directed towards kids.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly do not mean to imply that you're one of those!
    I'm more concerned about the folks at DC. Those seem to think that in order to turn MotU into something adult fans can enjoy, all it takes is eradicating all lighthearted elements and adding violence in the form of random shock elements.

Then again, I do not have a problem with blood and death in the new comics per say. What lacks for me is the execution. That's why I say "random shock elements", cause that's the feeling I got from stuff like showing the decapitated head of the Sorceress.

I do agree actually that it is indeed plausible for heroes to kill if given no other choice. But then I look at issue #6, and what do I see? The heroes only killed cannon fodder soldiers who most likely didn't stand a chance against them anyway and who might or might not have been forced to fight. But the REAL villains? Teela beats up Evil-Lyn but does not kill her? He-Man kills tons of "faceless" soldiers but hesitates to be sure that Skeletor is dead for real, just because he's his uncle? How's that plausible?

This whole DC series IMO wants to be plausible but so far has failed at that. Instead, it has diminished the brand's main villain into a weak pawn, turned the power everybody kept fightingabout (which IMO basically is the point in MotU - the power to rule the universe) into something only the main hero inherits, killed off a core character for pure shock value and turned the "campy" Trollans into demons. Doesn't work for me so far. And I refuse to believe that we don't have any choice between this current series and the Filmation show.
    Last edited by Sir Reilly; March 22, 2013 at 05:03am.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I asked here, no reply, then looked it up, apparently next month around the 17th or 19th, one of them....

thanks mate
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    thanks mate
    Yes, issue #1 comes out April 17th. Issue #2 will be out on May 15th. Also, the one-shot, the Origin of Hordak, comes out on May 29th.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    In the real world, women are raped in war times more often than not. Do we now want to see a flashback wherein Skeletor raped the Sorceress, because "that would happen in the real world"? Shall Hordak be revealed to be a child molester because "that would be plausible"? And here's my problem with kids dying in a MotU comic - I don't want MotU to be THAT real and plausible. If I want that, I go and watch "Game of Thrones". But I don't need a family property turned into that just so a couple folks don't have to feel ashamed that they are or have been fans of a brand that once had a cartoon show directed towards kids.
    People would be ashamed? I think that sort of stuff would tell casuals that MOTU isn't childish anymore -- that it's matured like Transformers and G.I. Joe fiction has. Of course, there is such a thing as going way too far with the dark elements until MOTU becomes offensive. But how far is relative to the individual fan. His hardcore violence could be quite tame to her standards. He wants family entertainment, she wants mature entertainment.

I'm more concerned about the folks at DC. Those seem to think that in order to turn MotU into something adult fans can enjoy, all it takes is eradicating all lighthearted elements and adding violence in the form of random shock elements.

Then again, I do not have a problem with blood and death in the new comics per say. What lacks for me is the execution. That's why I say "random shock elements", cause that's the feeling I got from stuff like showing the decapitated head of the Sorceress.
    I agree. It didn't feel natural to the story at all to decapitate the Sorceress after he's kept her alive for so long.

I do agree actually that it is indeed plausible for heroes to kill if given no other choice. But then I look at issue #6, and what do I see? The heroes only killed cannon fodder soldiers who most likely didn't stand a chance against them anyway and who might or might not have been forced to fight. But the REAL villains? Teela beats up Evil-Lyn but does not kill her? He-Man kills tons of "faceless" soldiers but hesitates to be sure that Skeletor is dead for real, just because he's his uncle? How's that plausible?
    I think the main villains should be tougher to kill than the regular thugs. I wish those elements were better written, like Skeletor or Evil-Lyn teleporting away at the last second or faking their deaths.

This whole DC series IMO wants to be plausible but so far has failed at that. Instead, it has diminished the brand's main villain into a weak pawn, turned the power everybody kept fightingabout (which IMO basically is the point in MotU - the power to rule the universe) into something only the main hero inherits, killed off a core character for pure shock value and turned the "campy" Trollans into demons. Doesn't work for me so far. And I refuse to believe that we don't have any choice between this current series and the Filmation show.
    You DO have MYP...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; March 22, 2013 at 09:32am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior

Thank you for this, noble Sir! I think that you make a very valid and important point; the many inconsistencies in the new comics vitiate any sense of a compelling narrative. It is absurd that He-Man is covering the Sword of Power with the blood of feeble footsloggers of no capacity to resist him when he's so much more powerful and skilful than they are that he didn't need to kill them - not at all. It's as if Achilles eschewed combat with Hector to wade through the civilian levies of Troy. Warfare in Eternia is essentially stylized - with duels between the major protagonists - just like Homer, or Viking saga. He-Man doesn't kill humans anyway - that's clear (or was until now...) and to begin on the also-rans while the real villains go free is, as you say, implausible in the extreme - and not worth breaking with a strong and aspirational tradition for.

Like you - and Hordak Alpha - I agree that a more adult and darker tone is acceptable here (though I do think that they go too far in order to shock) and I am not opposed to the depiction of bloodshed per se; it's a war and these things happen (I know; I've been in more than one.) But I utterly resist the idea of He-Man taking human life - since it isn't a necessity for him to do so and is, in any case, a negation of the Power of the Elders and of their essentially beneficent nature.

A couple of points I would suggest for consideration: the Horde aren't going to triumph here, are they? It's not going to happen. They commit brutal atrocities - they are, after all, evil. But He-Man opposes them - and is their nemesis, their opposite - and good. So why would any writer want to reduce He-Man to a brutal killer - especially as he has to redeem his twin sister? Horde Troopers - yes; humans - no. What does it add, the bloodletting? And just look at what it takes away.
    My main point is this: why would Adora/Despera change sides to the good and leave off her adopted evil ways unless her brother were able to show her that he is intrinsically good - and that what she is doing is wrong? A bloodstained He-Man is in no moral position to do this, is he? Surely Despera is what He-Man could become - were he to yield to the perfectly natural human craving for revenge on his enemies - to the point of slaying them. But he doesn't - because he is mystically powerful and skilled and wise enough NOT TO HAVE TO - and not to yield to evil's provocation so to do. If there is to be redemption for Adora - and victory for good - then He-Man must remain above the killing of his fellow mortals.

This matters - it really does - or the resultant moral ambiguities render the saga of good vs evil (which is after all the point of Motu) altogether meaningless.

I don't much like the changes to canon DC have made - in part because they re-invent a perfectly serviceable wheel with a square one - and because of the logical and narrative inconsistencies you point out above (and which I had failed earlier to articulate adequately) but I can live with them - all but this point - which for me is the line in the sand.

- - - Updated - - -

[B][I][QUOTE=MegaGearMax;3234993]Of course, there is such a thing as going way too far with the dark elements until MOTU becomes offensive. But how far is relative to the individual fan. His hardcore violence could be quite tame to her standards. He wants family entertainment, she wants mature entertainment.

Agreed - but I still mantain that there must necessarily be a clear-cut difference between good and evil; and He-Man personifies this for the Eternian world-picture.

[QUOTE=MegaGearMax;3234993] I think the main villains should be tougher to kill than the regular thugs. I wish those elements were better written, like Skeletor or Evil-Lyn teleporting away at the last second or faking their deaths.

Yes indeed - agree completely. This is a stylized combat - not like war as it is; in war single combat while the rest stand by and admire is - rare..... But that's OUR wars, in OUR world - not Eternia.

As I see it part of the problem for many people is that they tend to assume that "realistic" means "just like here on Earth in 2013". Yet Eternia has a different reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Good guys kill bad guys.....especially barbarians. Orcs, Humans, monster, whatever. Good kills evil in a lot of different media. Why should this new He-man be any different. He's not out slaughtering innocents. He's in the middle of a war for the planet. There will be casualties and collateral damage. This isn't geared towards kids on Saturday morning. I originally was a little disappointed that I couldn't share these with my son and was happy when I could on occasion, like the Orko mini. But I've come to respect it as an adult story done in a more realistic tone.....and I love it. The Evil Lyn digital mini still was a little too Sin City for me but it is what it is. At the end of the day, I can't wait to see the carnage Despera can unleash and how her brother can help redeem her.
    And can He-Man redeem her by joining her in taking human life, then? How, exactly? If there's no moral high ground to aspire to, then why should she reform?
    I'm aware that a lot of different tales have good killing evil - even humans - but the whole point about He-Man, surely, is that he is above it? - for all kind of reasons.
    Last edited by Scriptor; March 23, 2013 at 05:12am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post

It's a general problem in the comics, and some other mediums also. part of the thing with DC is they are trying to be Teen rated, and if you notice the more gruesome stuff happens at the first and last part of an issue as bookends to get the rating. It's the problem with most rating systems, it's easy to cite, violence, sexual stuff, or foul language then dealing with the topics in said material.

I don't mind death and stuff in my books, but using realism as an argument has it's fallacies. AS was pointed out fighting in movies for wars is mostly horrible, fighting like that would get you killed. Actual foot fights would be quite boring to watch, and you didn't really want to be on the front lines. It's a world with magic, where physics are basically bent at the whim of the author even if rules are stated.

I haven't read the stuff yet, sounds almost like the WS Thundercats books from a decade ago.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I don't mind death and stuff in my books, but using realism as an argument has it's fallacies. AS was pointed out fighting in movies for wars is mostly horrible, fighting like that would get you killed. Actual foot fights would be quite boring to watch, and you didn't really want to be on the front lines. It's a world with magic, where physics are basically bent at the whim of the author even if rules are stated.
    Indeed so; the "rules" on Eternia are different - warfare there is NOT as it is on Earth, and it is a fallacy to seek that kind of realism in a duel based on sorcery against mystic power. I mean, would you choose a stick with a ram's skull stuck on the end of it as a viable weapon against even an ordinary, non-magical sword? Well, exactly. There are indeed parameters for Eternia (and must be; internal consistency for a created world is an absolute essential) but they aren't those pertaining to our world here; no - not even basic physics (a very good point that you make!)

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Indeed so; the "rules" on Eternia are different - warfare there is NOT as it is on Earth, and it is a fallacy to seek that kind of realism in a duel based on sorcery against mystic power. I mean, would you choose a stick with a ram's skull stuck on the end of it as a viable weapon against even an ordinary, non-magical sword? Well, exactly. There are indeed parameters for Eternia (and must be; internal consistency for a created world is an absolute essential) but they aren't those pertaining to our world here; no - not even basic physics (a very good point that you make!)
    Does depend on what the Rams head was made out of, it was a pretty solid and hefty material (and likewise the staff itself) you are essentially looking at something like a sledgehammer when it would strike the opponent. Of course using the weapon quickly would be a problem in comparison to a sword.

Realistically speaking on the battlefield swords weren't often the weapon of first choice, ranged weapons like a bow, then something like a polearm (specifically a spear), then axe, mace or dagger. Swords were typically ineffective against armored opponents (which MOTU has a lack of), and tended to require more skill to use effectively the others just about anyone could get by decently with.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    MOTU absolutely NEEDS more plausible in storytelling treatment. The new comic isn't perfect, but it brings plausibility to the villains at how they could be considered a terrifying force to have to meet. And there is also a plausibility to He-Man having to pick up a sword to fight for his people. Here, he is a soldier, a warrior, who is the only man with the muscle to keep his people safe from a violent, decaying monster who wants to enslave the populace.
    I'm with you about the need for greater MotU narrative plausibility - though I would issue the caveat that what is "real" here on our planet isn't necessarily so on Eternia - and I am totally in agreement that the new villains are far, far better because they are a terrifying force - as they should be too.These are not bumbling comedians with silly accents but a genuinely evil threat to Eternia that needs to be resisted and defeated.

But - just because the villains do evil things (being evil, as they are) doesn't to me justify that He-Man should join them in wading in human blood. He doesn't need to, anyway, being too strong and skilful for them - and won't - because it's not by him killing humans that the Horde will ultimately be defeated and Despera redeemed. The denoument must surely be more complex and subtle than that - and will maintain the crucial difference between good and evil and draw back Adora.This is, after all what He-Man stands for, isn't it - that difference?

I notice that in one of your posted fictions (which I liked) you have He-Man saved only by overcoming his hatred for and desire to kill his enemy. I'd call that very perspicacious of you; let us hope that the DC writers can also see that; surely they must.....?
    Last edited by Scriptor; March 23, 2013 at 04:50am.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    I notice that in one of your posted fictions (which I liked) you have He-Man saved only by overcoming his hatred for and desire to kill his enemy. I'd call that very perspicacious of you; let us hope that the DC writers can also see that; surely they must.....?

I'm going to have to go back and look over some of my old stuff. It's been a very long time since I've thought about writing He-Man that, at the moment, I don't remember which story that is from. It is nice that someone enjoyed reading what I used to write.

As for the comics, yeah He-Man shouldn't outright go around just killing off anyone with his sword and axe, but when it comes to an enemy warrior who is coming at him with the intent to kill him, and possibly could, He-Man would defend himself in a logical manner with his own weapons.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Heroic Warrior
    Certainly he would defend himself - as logic dictates - and as you or I would. The difference is that he can temporarily disable or disarm or otherwise render ineffective his opponent without the need to kill him - he really is that strong and that skilled and that far ahead of his opponents - which you and I are not. Well - at least I know that I'm not.....

It would, after all, be manifestly unfair and unwise of the Elders to demand of him to maintain the moral edge of not taking human life unless they gave him the strength and skill not to need to do so. And also the wisdom to see that it would not, ultimately, help to defeat evil that he should do so. He, as their servant, must remain above the desire for revenge and the imperative to kill; his role in defending the good is different from that of some less mystically-imbued wielder of an ordinary sword.

And yes, I did like your fiction - and found it both thought-provoking and engaging - though I fear that I can't remember which particular tale it was, either.

Will you take up your pen again? They do allege that it is mightier than the sword.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Does depend on what the Rams head was made out of, it was a pretty solid and hefty material (and likewise the staff itself) you are essentially looking at something like a sledgehammer when it would strike the opponent. Of course using the weapon quickly would be a problem in comparison to a sword.

Realistically speaking on the battlefield swords weren't often the weapon of first choice, ranged weapons like a bow, then something like a polearm (specifically a spear), then axe, mace or dagger. Swords were typically ineffective against armored opponents (which MOTU has a lack of), and tended to require more skill to use effectively the others just about anyone could get by decently with.
    A fair point in re the ram's head (though I wasn't being entirely serious - and suspect that you aren't, either...)

Also about the sword in warfare. Interestingly, it fell from favour in the C14-15th as armour improved, culminating in the Milanese and Nurnburg products of the 1470-90s, all of superb standard - and vulnerable only to pole arms and gunfire (and a very high level of archery not generally found on continental Europe except among English mercenaries.)

In the Wars of the Roses even well-armoured nobles and knights fought in massed ranks afoot with polearms, axes and maces - as you say - since the sword had become ineffective and horsemen were far too vulnerable to massed archery. The advent of effective powder weapons changed this - rendering even top quality armour obsolete; but there were still surprises - like Flodden, where the home-guard of the English northern shires obliterated the Scots army of James IV - one of the most advanced armies in Europe at the time - with old-fashioned bows and bills - five hundred years ago this year (I doubt that the Scots will commemorate that as they will the less politically and militarily significant Battle of Bannockburn next year!) Interestingly, Benjamin Franklin, for one, advocated use of the bow for the colonial rebels/patriots in the early part of the 1776 conflict.

Sir John Hawkwood's mercenaries, reared in the brutalities of the Hundred Years War and largely highly-trained archers, cut a bloody swathe through the stylized warfare of the Italian city states in the mid C14th; it must have been a terrible shock to replace elegant duels and personal combats and quasi-jousts with arrow storms at 300 yards....

Rather, in fact, as if we tried to apply modern warfare and its grim realities to the stylized, hero-villain duello combat pertaining on Eternia. As some suggest that the current DC writers are doing right now...
    Last edited by Scriptor; March 23, 2013 at 02:03pm.

And yes, I did like your fiction - and found it both thought-provoking and engaging - though I fear that I can't remember which particular tale it was, either.

Will you take up your pen again? They do allege that it is mightier than the sword.....

It would have to depend on two factors. If I were feeling the urge to write MOTU fiction again and if it were worth the effort. I essentially quit because no one was reading them anymore and thus I felt I was wasting hours of my time writing something that nobody was interested in. It was the same reason why I quit making fan art. From this community, I did get a few supportive compliments but mostly my art got snubbed since it wasn't of the same quality as other artists here.

I now devote my time to writing my own original works and am currently working on a collection to get copyrighted.
    (Hordak Alpha))

That is just for February 2014 but means we'll get a another Origin issue for this year ,besides Hordak issues

DC Comics title scheduled for February 2014:

Masters of the Universe Vol. 2: Origins of Eternia TP

Writers: Keith Giffen, Joshua Hale Fialkov and Brian Keene

Artists: Frazer Irving, Ben Oliver, Keith Giffen, Scott Koblish and Pop Mhan

Collects: Masters of the Universe: The Origin of Skeletor #1, Masters of the Universe: The Origin of He-Man #1, Masters of the Universe: The Origin of Hordak #1 and Masters of the Universe #1-4

$14.99 US, 160 pg
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I think MOTU #1-4 are the digital first stories.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I think MOTU #1-4 are the digital first stories.
    I don't think so .there are no names of Geoff jonhs , Kyle Higgins or Mike Costa in the credits .
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; March 27, 2013 at 10:11pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

February 2014? Why so far away?

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    February 2014? Why so far away?
    Because it's DC Comics. But, at least they are making an MOTU monthly series.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I don't think so .there are no names of Geoff jonhs , Kyle Higgins or Mike Costa in the credits .
    So could it simply be the Ongoing issues 1-4 from april-july? (depending if they tell an "origin" about Adora, to fit the collected trades theme"

Because it's DC Comics. But, at least they are making an MOTU monthly series.
    Yeah DC is bad about waiting forever for the trades. Chances are they had to put this in their cycle, Green Lantern does well so he got put in the cycle early which means he is still 6 months off from the last issue being printed. Also we are at least getting the trade, while it's most likely in this era a few things still slip by without getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    So could it simply be the Ongoing issues 1-4 from april-july? (depending if they tell an "origin" about Adora, to fit the collected trades theme"
    I wouldn't call a comic book that goes from issue 1 and ends on issue 4 an ongoing series. I hope issues 1 through 4 are merely a story arc. I'd like this DC MOTU series to go on and on and on if possible.

Yeah, the wait for trades sucks. A reason why I only buy trades in either second print or second hand from the collector shop.
    (Hordak Alpha))

I wouldn't call a comic book that goes from issue 1 and ends on issue 4 an ongoing series. I hope issues 1 through 4 are merely a story arc. I'd like this DC MOTU series to go on and on and on if possible.
    I meant that the Trade might include the Ongoing's first four issues.

Of course the Ongoing could go for 100 issues.

Heroic Warrior
    To me it sounds like the first story arc of the ongoing series, about Adora becoming She-Ra, will be 4 issues. That seems to fir the Origins mode so it makes sense to include it in this new trade. I hope if the first trade does well enough that DC would consider putting the digital-only comics into a printed collection as well, like they do with the Smallville digital comics.

Matty link doesn't work for me (Firefox), so I clicked Darkspecter's DC link and ordered. After I submitted, the page just refreshed. Is that now a complete order? I put in all my CC details y'know

Thanks to Jon on FB for the link.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/she-...n-ongoing.html
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by belmont View Post
    Matty link doesn't work for me (Firefox), so I clicked Darkspecter's DC link and ordered. After I submitted, the page just refreshed. Is that now a complete order? I put in all my CC details y'know
    If it refreshes, your order didn't go through. You should see a page confirming it (you may actually have to click a button to confirm the order on the next page, I forget), but you also get a confirmation e-mail. I can't remember if I had to do my order through Internet Explorer, because it DID refresh for me the first time I tried on Google Chrome.

Matty's link (the one I ordered through) doesn't work for me today. It just says "Sorry, your request can not be processed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    OMG at him saying he would make Wonder Woman like Despera. SERIOUSLY?!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; April 1, 2013 at 12:53pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah