Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU DC Ongoing Comic General/Subscription/Upcoming Issues Discussion

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I love how they KEEP on reiterating that the comics aren't Filmation:

Keith Giffen: Yeah, in this arc, we're bringing She-Ra into the book, but not like anyone expects. She's not the She-Ra you've seen on TV, I'll tell you that much.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

If you have to announce it there is the possibility it isn't true. If you have to keep repeating it, it's likely you are trying too hard.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I love how they KEEP on reiterating that the comics aren't Filmation:
    Yes...that quote about She-Ra concerned me. Are they going to make her a blackened hearted, head-chopping, killing machine? I hope not. Change can be good, but I really hope she feels deep remorse for her "Despera Days", fights for justice and honor and to free her homeworld from the evil she helped spread (like the good 'ole days).
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Yes...that quote about She-Ra concerned me. Are they going to make her a blackened hearted, head-chopping, killing machine? I hope not. Change can be good, but I really hope she feels deep remorse for her "Despera Days", fights for justice and honor and to free her homeworld from the evil she helped spread (like the good 'ole days).
    Well, we are having conversations about HE-MAN being too hardcore. I'd like to see what fans of She-Ra have to say about She-Ra being too hardcore.

She normally fights robot troopers, but would she realistically kill Hordak, Horde Prime or any of the living Horde members? Genocidal madmen, conquerors, tyrants and murderers? Setting these villains free only lets them do it all over again in another Etherian village.

If she isn´t going to be the She-Ra we knew why is she looking exactly the same than?

The Dobson Cover is her and Swiftwinds FILMATION look to the last hair and feather, if you ask me...?

And a little bit tougher i don´t mind. All of the Etherian female could be a bit tougher this time a round and if they still look good and that what´s the variant cover at least applies, i´m fine with it...

For now. Let´s what happens once the comics are out
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior
    Well, we are having conversations about HE-MAN being too hardcore. I'd like to see what fans of She-Ra have to say about She-Ra being too hardcore.

She normally fights robot troopers, but would she realistically kill Hordak, Horde Prime or any of the living Horde members? Genocidal madmen, conquerors, tyrants and murderers? Setting these villains free only lets them do it all over again in another Etherian village.

I believe that you do need to distinguish clearly between "reality" as it applies to Earth, 2013 and to the (fundamentally different) "reality" which applies to Eternia/Etheria. They aren't the same. Yes, in our world both He-Man and his twin would probably slay their enemies - and they would actually die, too. In their world this does not happen; their principal enemies (such as Hordak) are in effect not mortal, so "killing" them only results in their later return - as with Skeletor. And that is how it is meant to be in tales - unless you want an endless supply of short-lived, unmemorable villains......

There is absolutely no precedent for He-Man taking human life - we have proved that, haven't we? Then nor should She-Ra (not once redeemed from being Despera, anyway.)

It is a different kind of reality in which there is a very real and clear differentiation between good and evil - and the actions of the principal agents of good who serve a beneficent Power demonstate an understanding that evil cannot be defeated with the means employed by evil itself. It is a burden on the twin proponents of good - yes;the villains will certainly enact evil again if spared so to do - but these are tales - and (forgive me) that is the point!

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    I believe that you do need to distinguish clearly between "reality" as it applies to Earth, 2013 and to the (fundamentally different) "reality" which applies to Eternia/Etheria. They aren't the same. Yes, in our world both He-Man and his twin would probably slay their enemies - and they would actually die, too. In their world this does not happen; their principal enemies (such as Hordak) are in effect not mortal, so "killing" them only results in their later return - as with Skeletor. And that is how it is meant to be in tales - unless you want an endless supply of short-lived, unmemorable villains......
    Or the goal of the heroes is to ultimately stop the threat, but the villains are just as resourceful as the heroes when it comes to cheating death.

There is absolutely no precedent for He-Man taking human life - we have proved that, haven't we? Then nor should She-Ra (not once redeemed from being Despera, anyway.)
    We haven't proved anything like that. There are warriors and there are superheroes. The DC versions of these heroes do kill their enemies, like many ancient warrior heroes. That's the light that they seemingly want to portray He-Man and She-Ra now.

It is a different kind of reality in which there is a very real and clear differentiation between good and evil - and the actions of the principal agents of good who serve a beneficent Power demonstate an understanding that evil cannot be defeated with the means employed by evil itself. It is a burden on the twin proponents of good - yes;the villains will certainly enact evil again if spared so to do - but these are tales - and (forgive me) that is the point!
    Ah, morality...

Heroic Warrior
    Or the goal of the heroes is to ultimately stop the threat, but the villains are just as resourceful as the heroes when it comes to cheating death.

Agreed - and very well-put, too. It amounts to the same thing, though, does it not? The principals do not "die" as such - for reasons applicable to storytelling, not to reality.

We haven't proved anything like that. There are warriors and there are superheroes. The DC versions of these heroes do kill their enemies, like many ancient warrior heroes. That's the light that they seemingly want to portray He-Man and She-Ra now.

I meant precedent in its sense of meaning: "not having happened before." It hasn't - until now - and my consistent argument is that the DC current versions are an aberration which removes the single most significant thing about He-Man and his sister; that they aren't simply ancient warrior "heroes" but genuineand complex heroes - imbued with the semi-divine knowledge of why good is - and must be - different from evil and cannot act in the same way.

Ah, morality...

Well - yes; but as these are essentially morality plays (even in their setting in many ways) then is that surprising or somehow unwelcome?

I'd judge that it worked really well for MYP - while remaining true to essential Eternian principles; something which the current DC writers apparently fail to understand.
    Last edited by Scriptor; April 1, 2013 at 06:19pm.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

I was actually thinking about just this, earlier today. I saw a news story about a high-profile court case and that's what got me thinking about Skeletor and Hordak and if they were defeated, what would become of them?

The way I see it, He-Man and She-Ra would defeat them and have the Royal Guards arrest them (with magical/tech restraints that would render them powerless). Then, Skeletor would be put on trial for all the horrendous crimes he has committed. The Council of Eldors would make their decision on what his fate would be, and King Randor would carry it out. It would obviously be a death sentence, and Randor would struggle with having to execute Skeletor because, even after all the horror, he still loves his brother. He would approach him in private to see if anything of Keldor remains. Skeletor would probably trick Randor into feeling sympathy for him and Randor would betray the council and Eternian people, trying to save his brother. It would be an excellent story to tell, but I doubt anyone will.

Hordak would be extradited to Etheria because of the war crimes he committed there. I imagine Etheria also has a council that could form a decision for punishment, and Queen Angella would be the one to carry out his sentence, whatever it may be.

Eternia and Etheria are advanced societies with rules and laws. I believe this is how it would be carried out. In real world history, leaders who committed monstrosities were captured and put on trial like this. I'm not sure how DC is handling their comics now, but a very important point they used to stress was that super heroes were to stop super villains because regular law enforcement could not. However, super heroes were never allowed to take justice into their own hands (murdering a super villain, for example), because that can only be decided by "the people."
    Last edited by Darkspecter; April 1, 2013 at 06:08pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

Ah – well said indeed.

But I am certain that this is exactly the She-Ra we ARE going to get. Somehow her blood-spilling brother is going to teach her the difference between right and wrong (how, exactly, since he apparently doesn’t know himself?) and then she can carry on killing – this time in the arbitrarily-applied name of “good”, rather than plain old "evil." No doubt the two of them will be able to hold jolly head-lopping contests for their conjoint delight – and we will be able to applaud their “realistic” defense of their respective planets against the attacks of – well – unrestrained and powerful killers…… Only they’ll be baddies, of course. Obviously.

And this wonder of literature and vision will be achieved purely in the name of maturity and realism, of course; nothing whatsoever to do with the usual dreary DC-inspired unvarying diet of the pitch-black, misanthropic/misogynistic and “edgy.”

I am so skull-scouringly bored with the sheer uninspired dullness and repetition of it all. Why cannot they see that trying to shock doesn’t obviate the need for plot, character, contextual coherence and depth? It’s all so very tedious and juvenile.

Master Giffen appears to think he’s Tolstoy, Faulkner and Dickens rolled into one, from the way he goes on about his sorry offerings. Perhaps if he spent less time telling us what fun he’s having with his ill-conceived work of childish deconstructionism and concentrated more on learning his purported trade as a writer, then maybe he’d produce something actually worth reading.

Maybe.

Heroic Warrior
    I may be in the minority, but I am really enjoying Giffen's take on MOTU. To me, it hearkens back to more of its sword and sorcery roots pre-Filmation. I don't really find any shock value in the stories so far, with the possible exception of the Sorceress being killed, but considering it was Skeletor who did it, that wasn't too shocking to me. I guess I have always viewed Adam and Adora as prophesied warriors fighting battles against the practically demonic entities of Skeletor and Hordak and it would result in a brutally violent war. I look forward to seeing how Adam redeems his sister in this upcoming arc.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I am really enjoying Giffen's take on MOTU. To me, it hearkens back to more of its sword and sorcery roots pre-Filmation. I don't really find any shock value in the stories so far, with the possible exception of the Sorceress being killed, but considering it was Skeletor who did it, that wasn't too shocking to me. I guess I have always viewed Adam and Adora as prophesied warriors fighting battles against the practically demonic entities of Skeletor and Hordak and it would result in a brutally violent war. I look forward to seeing how Adam redeems his sister in this upcoming arc.
    Interesting - and I actually agree strongly with much of what you say about their destiny and the semi-demonic nature of their enemies. It would indeed be a brutal war - but there is more than one way of opposing brutality - especially in the reality pertaining to Eternia/Etheria. I agreed also with your last post about tone; I too like real villains representing real threats - but it's how these are overcome in the recent DC comics which offends me.

I mean, don't you find He-Man killing poor little nobodies and staining the Sword of Power with human blood a matter of concern, give who he is and what he represents? He hasn't done so before; should he turn to slaying those who can't do him any harm now? And why does he suddenly need to, since he's just as powerful as before - in fact he is now (allegedly) THE Power itself - but uses it to bump-off a bunch of feeble tribesmen. And does this significant shift add anything worthwhile to the arc - or detract from it, rendering it just like all the rest of the Conanesque material? Good and evil must surely be recognizably separate - or who cares who wins?

Those are the matters which most concern me - and it's not a slavish devotion to Filmation. I felt that MYP did it so, so much better - and maintained Eternia's essential distinctiveness while telling good tales; which is what these are meant to be, as I see it. Darker, yes - but still adhering to the principles which render the canon unique.

And I do hold out hard for good writing standards - I have to - and I just don't see them here, I'm afraid. I'd be much happier if I did!
    Last edited by Scriptor; April 1, 2013 at 07:44pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting - and I actually agree strongly with much of what you say about their destiny and the semi-demonic nature of their enemies. It would indeed be a brutal war - but there is more than one way of opposing brutality - especially in the reality pertaining to Eternia/Etheria. I agreed also with your last post about tone; I too like real villains representing real threats - but it's how these are overcome in the recent DC comics which offends me.

I mean, don't you find He-Man killing poor little nobodies and staining the Sword of Power with human blood a matter of concern, give who he is and what he represents? He hasn't done so before; should he turn to slaying those who can't do him any harm now? And why does he suddenly need to, since he's just as powerful as before - in fact he is now (allegedly) THE Power itself - but uses it to bump-off a bunch of feeble tribesmen. And does this significant shift add anything worthwhile to the arc - or detract from it, rendering it just like all the rest of the Conanesque material? Good and evil must surely be recognizably separate - or who cares who wins?

Those are the matters which most concern me - and it's not a slavish devotion to Filmation. I felt that MYP did it so, so much better - and maintained Eternia's essential distinctiveness while telling good tales; which is what these are meant to be, as I see it. Darker, yes - but still adhering to the principles which render the canon unique.

And I do hold out hard for good writing standards - I have to - and I just don't see them here, I'm afraid. I'd be much happier if I did!
    I took a look at issue #6 of the miniseries again and though we see He-Man and Teela slaying people, we really don't know much about Skeletor's soldiers, whether they are feeble or not. All we know is that stood in the way of He-Man reaching Skeletor. They could have been evil people too, just not as powerful as Skeletor and his more well-known warriors. I agree we have never seen He-Man kill non-demons before, but this is a new canon and I don't think we have really seen him in such dire straights before, with his arch-enemy basically conquering the planet. We don't know that He-Man regularly kills, after all we have only really seen him in one issue. In the other issues we didn't see Adam kill anyone. I think the full extent of Adam/He-Man's moral character in this DC canon is still up for debate, and this upcoming Horde invasion might give more insight.

Also, I don't really view as Adam being the Power a significant shift. After all, MYP canon established the fact that King Grayskull always had the power within him, so I think it makes sense that one (or in this case two) of his descendants would have the power too, or the ability to tap their power within. That makes Adam and Adora special. Now that we will see DC's story of how Adora becomes She-Ra, hopefully we'll get a better idea of what being the Power really means. Is it strength, wisdom, or something else?

I understand where you are coming from and do agree that the writing can be better, at least in terms of detail. Perhaps with an ongoing comic now, Giffen can take his time to explore the characters and the world of Eternia (maybe also Etheria?) better.

Heroic Warrior
    Agreed that the exact nature of the Power is a matter of some interpretation; it has usually been cited that He-Man is its servant rather than its actual origin and font, simply because the power of a pantheon of quasi-gods is seldom placed in mortal hands - for the good of both the world and of that mortal. However, your point about King Grayskull having access to the Power - and Adam and Adora being his descendants - is a very good one. They could, of course, still have access to the Power without them actually BEING the Power itself - but that's subject to interpretation as the Power itself is - necessarliy - not defined.

My main point is that if the Power is benign, and He-Man is the Power, and the most powerful mortal on Eternia, then why, in the name of the Elders, is he killing off Evil-Lyn's island tribesmen (grass skirts and spears, for Heaven's sake...) with the Sword of Power? He hasn't killed humans before; these were no conceiveable threat to him (he is far too skilled in battle and Power-protected for them to harm him once he is He-Man) and yet he slays them - and then spares Evil-Lyn. That really wasn't well-plotted, was it? And, in any case, the main point stands; new canon or no, he does not kill humans; he is too wise, Power-imbued, strong, skilled - and compassionate - to need to do so. He can take them down without killing - as he always has and should - and eschew the urge to petty revenge. Giffen has him do just that; kill off a bunch of - to him - non-combatants - in revenge for Adam being forced to endure the Cauldron of Doom. Which, perhaps predictably, he escaped anyway....

Not good writing, not good context, not consistent - and most definitely not He-Man.
    Especially if he is - as you say - he is indeed special (and he is, he certainly is - very) and the embodiment of a wise and benign power stemming fromquasi-divine beings.

I agree wholeheartedly that it would be a good thing if the moral character of Adam/He-Man were explored further in this series; but not if it is simply going to carry on showing him as a killer. This was a terrible error and should be glossed over so that he can again be seen for what he is; the champion of what is actually right and decent and good.
    Surely that is the only way in which he can teach his twin sister her errors and redeem her to reclaim her birthright as descendant of King Grayskull. If He-man remains in DC-pitch-black revenge mode (spare us; it's just so dull and predictable and humdrum) then he should surely decpitate Despera, not redeem her. Why would she leave off committing atrocities such as .... what we saw in the early releases... if her brother has no moral high ground to which to draw her?

But I fear greatly that the hasty and ill-judged attempts at an "all-change" new canon will just result in more of the same. And it's a real pity; with some proper research, some innate understanding and vision, some better-crafted writing and the exercize of restraint, then this could have been so, so much better.

Val Staples would have made this memorable - without having to resort to dragging down one of the last truly admirable and unsullied heroes in the genre.

O Tempora O Mores.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I took a look at issue #6 of the miniseries again and though we see He-Man and Teela slaying people, we really don't know much about Skeletor's soldiers, whether they are feeble or not. All we know is that stood in the way of He-Man reaching Skeletor. They could have been evil people too, just not as powerful as Skeletor and his more well-known warriors. I agree we have never seen He-Man kill non-demons before, but this is a new canon and I don't think we have really seen him in such dire straights before, with his arch-enemy basically conquering the planet. We don't know that He-Man regularly kills, after all we have only really seen him in one issue. In the other issues we didn't see Adam kill anyone. I think the full extent of Adam/He-Man's moral character in this DC canon is still up for debate, and this upcoming Horde invasion might give more insight.

Also, I don't really view as Adam being the Power a significant shift. After all, MYP canon established the fact that King Grayskull always had the power within him, so I think it makes sense that one (or in this case two) of his descendants would have the power too, or the ability to tap their power within. That makes Adam and Adora special. Now that we will see DC's story of how Adora becomes She-Ra, hopefully we'll get a better idea of what being the Power really means. Is it strength, wisdom, or something else?

I understand where you are coming from and do agree that the writing can be better, at least in terms of detail. Perhaps with an ongoing comic now, Giffen can take his time to explore the characters and the world of Eternia (maybe also Etheria?) better.

Heroic Warrior
    Heroes in comics shoudn't kill. Besides moral reasons, it doesn't make sense in story.

If you apply the real world to Batman, for example, of course he should kill the Joker. We know he's only going to kill again. However, if he does that, we don't get any more Joker stories. And if he doesn't kill the Joker, why in the world would he kill Random Thug #4?

Same goes for MOTU. He-Man's not going to start killing Skeletor's main henchmen, nor do we want him to. But if he doesn't, why would he kill random warriors who haven't done nearly as much as the main guys?
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Agreed that the exact nature of the Power is a matter of some interpretation; it has usually been cited that He-Man is its servant rather than its actual origin and font, simply because the power of a pantheon of quasi-gods is seldom placed in mortal hands - for the good of both the world and of that mortal. However, your point about King Grayskull having access to the Power - and Adam and Adora being his descendants - is a very good one. They could, of course, still have access to the Power without them actually BEING the Power itself - but that's subject to interpretation as the Power itself is - necessarliy - not defined.

My main point is that if the Power is benign, and He-Man is the Power, and the most powerful mortal on Eternia, then why, in the name of the Elders, is he killing off Evil-Lyn's island tribesmen (grass skirts and spears, for Heaven's sake...) with the Sword of Power? He hasn't killed humans before; these were no conceiveable threat to him (he is far too skilled in battle and Power-protected for them to harm him once he is He-Man) and yet he slays them - and then spares Evil-Lyn. That really wasn't well-plotted, was it? And, in any case, the main point stands; new canon or no, he does not kill humans; he is too wise, Power-imbued, strong, skilled - and compassionate - to need to do so. He can take them down without killing - as he always has and should - and eschew the urge to petty revenge. Giffen has him do just that; kill off a bunch of - to him - non-combatants - in revenge for Adam being forced to endure the Cauldron of Doom. Which, perhaps predictably, he escaped anyway....

Not good writing, not good context, not consistent - and most definitely not He-Man.
    Especially if he is - as you say - he is indeed special (and he is, he certainly is - very) and the embodiment of a wise and benign power stemming fromquasi-divine beings.

I agree wholeheartedly that it would be a good thing if the moral character of Adam/He-Man were explored further in this series; but not if it is simply going to carry on showing him as a killer. This was a terrible error and should be glossed over so that he can again be seen for what he is; the champion of what is actually right and decent and good.
    Surely that is the only way in which he can teach his twin sister her errors and redeem her to reclaim her birthright as descendant of King Grayskull. If He-man remains in DC-pitch-black revenge mode (spare us; it's just so dull and predictable and humdrum) then he should surely decpitate Despera, not redeem her. Why would she leave off committing atrocities such as .... what we saw in the early releases... if her brother has no moral high ground to which to draw her?

But I fear greatly that the hasty and ill-judged attempts at an "all-change" new canon will just result in more of the same. And it's a real pity; with some proper research, some innate understanding and vision, some better-crafted writing and the exercize of restraint, then this could have been so, so much better.

Val Staples would have made this memorable - without having to resort to dragging down one of the last truly admirable and unsullied heroes in the genre.

O Tempora O Mores.
    But my point continues to be this is just another version of He-Man. Just like Bayformer Bumblebee (silent badass) is another version of G1 Bumblebee (smallest, weakest, unarmed Autobot).

THIS He-Man does kill evil humans, like so many heroes do--but not spandex-clad superheroes. He is an ancient world warrior with a sword in an ancient world environment; he uses it. He's not the moralistic He-Man that you're thinking of. DC has bent over ass-backwards to let you know in almost every interview that this isn't a cartoony version of He-Man like you saw in Jetlag, Filmation or MYP.

In short, they are doing something altogether different with the characters than stick to a familiar theme. This is merely another version like G.I. Joe and Transformers have done.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    I can't believe this is still being debated. DC's He-Man kills bad guys when they take a sword, laser gun, atomic weapon or any other device or instrument or super human power/magic that is either meant to harm/kill He-Man himself, any of his friends or a civilian. End of story.

The reason DC's He-Man will use lethal means when he feels it is necessary is because the general audience of the comic wouldn't believe throwing the bad guys into mud bogs and cracking wise ass would end the terror caused by said bad guys.

Plus, MOTU isn't a kid based property anymore. It hasn't been since the failed re-launch of MOTU from 2002 to 2004 when the only kids who were buying/getting any MOTU figures were the ones whose parents were trying to get their own children interested in the franchise. The rest of the line was only on life support due to the adult fans who were buying the figures since they grew up with the original.

MOTU in the 80's was sugar coated with barely any violence because of the times. MOTU in those days was marketed to kids and couldn't be bloody and brutal in action and violence.

Now, it's 2013. The only MOTU action figures available are through Mattel's website, are highly detailed and priced at $20 to $60 buck a figure. If that doesn't mean MOTU is an adult fantasy science fiction franchise now, I don't know of any kid who has that much money to spend on a figure let alone any kid who would give a crap about fifteen points of articulation.

So, the comic book MOTU is thus geared for the adult fans who are the only fans who are interested in MOTU anymore. That means, MOTU needs to be written on an adult fan level. He-Man and his friends live on a planet scourged by evil warriors intent on pillaging villages, murdering civilians, blowing up temples, using mystical artifacts from the dawn of time to enslave creation, etc. They live in a world at war. In war, the opponents try to kill the other to prevent their own extinction. This is the kind of world DC's MOTU exists in.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

So WHEN does #1 come out?? I know April...but which day?

Quote Originally Posted by NSP View Post
    So WHEN does #1 come out?? I know April...but which day?
    April 17th.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    I can't believe this is still being debated. DC's He-Man kills bad guys when they take a sword, laser gun, atomic weapon or any other device or instrument or super human power/magic that is either meant to harm/kill He-Man himself, any of his friends or a civilian. End of story.

The reason DC's He-Man will use lethal means when he feels it is necessary is because the general audience of the comic wouldn't believe throwing the bad guys into mud bogs and cracking wise ass would end the terror caused by said bad guys.

Plus, MOTU isn't a kid based property anymore. It hasn't been since the failed re-launch of MOTU from 2002 to 2004 when the only kids who were buying/getting any MOTU figures were the ones whose parents were trying to get their own children interested in the franchise. The rest of the line was only on life support due to the adult fans who were buying the figures since they grew up with the original.

MOTU in the 80's was sugar coated with barely any violence because of the times. MOTU in those days was marketed to kids and couldn't be bloody and brutal in action and violence.

Now, it's 2013. The only MOTU action figures available are through Mattel's website, are highly detailed and priced at $20 to $60 buck a figure. If that doesn't mean MOTU is an adult fantasy science fiction franchise now, I don't know of any kid who has that much money to spend on a figure let alone any kid who would give a crap about fifteen points of articulation.

So, the comic book MOTU is thus geared for the adult fans who are the only fans who are interested in MOTU anymore. That means, MOTU needs to be written on an adult fan level. He-Man and his friends live on a planet scourged by evil warriors intent on pillaging villages, murdering civilians, blowing up temples, using mystical artifacts from the dawn of time to enslave creation, etc. They live in a world at war. In war, the opponents try to kill the other to prevent their own extinction. This is the kind of world DC's MOTU exists in.
    Perhaps the reason why this is still being debated is that it isn't the end of the story; it really isn't as simplistic as you make out.
    This is Eternia; it does not have the same reality as does modern day earth. The arguments you employ here apply to the latter, not to the former. Wars there are different.

And can you be so very sure that these "adult fans" are eager for what DC is offering? Really?

One does not have to be a child or unaware that it is 2013 to hold a contrary opinion; many people do - and are happy to debate the point with those who do not share it. This does not make them wrong or unrealistic - merely unaccepting of the way the DC comics portray these issues. To me that is worthy of respect.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    I for one can't wait to see Despara unleash some massive carnage. Bring on the blood!

- - - Updated - - -

April 17th.

Thanks____!

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Perhaps the reason why this is still being debated is that it isn't the end of the story; it really isn't as simplistic as you make out.
    The 'end of story' is merely a metaphor. Basically, what I was saying is on a planet full of demons, magical despots and other savage evil, a warrior guy with a battle axe and power sword with the strength to crumble a mountain is going to use the abilities and weapons to his advantage to end the threat of said evils.

This is Eternia; it does not have the same reality as does modern day earth. The arguments you employ here apply to the latter, not to the former. Wars there are different.
    How are wars on Eternia any different than real life Earth? Yeah, Eternia has magical monsters and mechanized spiders that spew photon grenades while real life Earth has missile armed flying drones and tanks that blast explosive shots. In both capacities, the goal of war in real life and in fiction is to kill the enemy.

And can you be so very sure that these "adult fans" are eager for what DC is offering? Really?
    There are some adult fans that are into this comic book. And there are always going to be fans who are against it. The adult fans into this comic book are looking for the same thing that I'm looking for, an Eternia a bit more brutal and more interesting storytelling.

One does not have to be a child or unaware that it is 2013 to hold a contrary opinion; many people do - and are happy to debate the point with those who do not share it. This does not make them wrong or unrealistic - merely unaccepting of the way the DC comics portray these issues. To me that is worthy of respect.

I never said anyone else was right or wrong. I am just surprised this subject is still being debated when it is completely clear to me why things would be the way they are portrayed in the comic. And, granted not everyone is able to see it the way I do because they aren't me and I don't see it the way they can because I'm not them.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

has anyone subscribed through dc? Im fearing that the comics will arrive rather beat up. It would just be a minor annoyance because i just want to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    You might be surprised how many kids were buying the toys, and how many adults weren't even aware of the toyline. The real problem wasn't that kids weren't buying the line, it had more to do with kids aren't buying toys in general as much as they used to and when they do they are getting out of them at a younger age.

comics themselves are kind of in a similar situation also. Probably for different reasons though, comics have in ways been more pushing away kids than toy companies have for one. During 2002 MOTU was the last time I really saw kids in the toy aisle and they were picking up the figures though, it's much more sporadic to see kids in the toy aisle now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crashdiary27 View Post
    has anyone subscribed through dc? Im fearing that the comics will arrive rather beat up. It would just be a minor annoyance because i just want to read them.
    It's been sometime, Marvel comics sends comics in a plastic bag with a cardboard insert much like a bagged and boarded comic. DC comics does the same but inserted two pieces of cardboard (not quite as thick) one for the front the other for the back. The DC comics tended to be in a bit better shape when they arrived.

Damage was typically some spine creases from handling nothing was ever torn or bent completely out of shape.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it