Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread January 2013

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I've updated the thread with a bunch of new answers!

How are they losing money on shipping? Their shipping is expensive...
    If they are losing money on shipping they are doing it wrong. Seriously. No other company I have ever dealt with charges these kind or prices for shipping. Hell we have been selling a lot of items through ebay lately, and shipping doesn't cost me that much at all.

Wake up sunshine, when you ask about cutting deco or accessories or poly bagging figures because you want feedback and the majority of the responses say "don't do any of that, but shipping is WAY TOO HIGH" that might be something to take seriously.

Maybe he means on international orders, which I think he has mentioned before. But if he means all orders than, using some math here it seems like Mattel + shipping through Digital River = Taken for the ass.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Wow! This guy is frustrating. Why does he pretend to answer questions and actually post questions to us on this board only to ignore, dodge and reflect the actual questions. I know Scott can't be as dim as he comes off in these answers about not understanding the shipping questions. He at least owes us an explanation of how the domestic shipping and handling is calculated (in a big picture sense). Let us know where the $$ is going and we may understand a little more why you're charging so much.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    WOW. I always try to be polite and respectful, so if this crosses that line I'm sorry, but answering the question "it'll make everyone's lives easier if you replace Digital River" with "Please post your specific problem" was simply stupid.
    I understood that question. The OP was asking why does Mattel still stay with DR, despite all of the terrible problems that they've had all of these years.

That was just TG not really answering because he isn't able to make the details of the contract public. Why did he just say that?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I understood that question. The OP was asking why does Mattel still stay with DR, despite all of the terrible problems that they've had all of these years.

That was just TG not really answering because he isn't able to make the details of the contract public. Why did he just say that?
    Or why doesn't TG just ignore that question then. Answers like that one, and the fact he even takes the time to respond, is one of the reasons that online TG has a bad rep for being snarky or sarcastic.

J

Wait, Scott answered a shipping question, when in the past it has been said shipping questions are not something he deals with....ask DR....

So now he can answer? If anything you have to love his inconsistency, it's the only consistent thing about his answers.

Also, I call BS on the shipping prices....if the price was all shipping, then it would still be too much money for the USPS method....other places are much cheaper, hell Mattel Shop is cheaper, Hasbrotoyshop is cheaper....so, something's wrong if they are losing money on shipping....something indeed. Businesses that ship bulk and often, get discounts from the carriers they use....hell personal shippers get discounts when shipping bulk.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Oh, yeah, I understood the question, it was TG'sanswer I couldn't believe. Yeah, he should have answered with something like you said, and even thrown in something long the lines of "I know they've been frustrating at times, for customers and us as well."
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Oh man... TG gets people riled up again...
    You know, people complain so much about his "snarky" answers, while people keep asking "smart-ass" questions...
    Last edited by KUZEH; January 18, 2013 at 03:14pm.
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

I get the impression that- based on the shipping rate price hike on Matty recently- that they are not only bringing their rates in line with actual market cost, but are compensating above and beyond to make up for money lost in years past! I could be wrong, but I've been seeing eBay sellers 'pad' their shipping costs for years in this manner, subtly increasing their profit by making it look like it costs more to ship. No way in heck are these prices justified, but somehow eBay sellers get away with it, so why not Matty? If they can lower their rates (in years past) to below the going price why not raise them to help offset previous losses? Just sayin... something seems beyond fishy.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

I thought there was a sticky on DR issues...

I've stopped responding to these threads a bit ago becuase its so irksome to read.

On one hand I get so miffed that someone thinks I/we are that stupid. On the other I laugh because someone thinks they're that smart.

Sadly, in the end, I caved & got the sub. So I am stuck!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    I get the impression that- based on the shipping rate price hike on Matty recently- that they are not only bringing their rates in line with actual market cost, but are compensating above and beyond to make up for money lost in years past! I could be wrong, but I've been seeing eBay sellers 'pad' their shipping costs for years in this manner, subtly increasing their profit by making it look like it costs more to ship. No way in heck are these prices justified, but somehow eBay sellers get away with it, so why not Matty? If they can lower their rates (in years past) to below the going price why not raise them to help offset previous losses? Just sayin... something seems beyond fishy.
    I was gonna say that.

I think it's legal. Ethical...not too sure.

For e-bay sellers I better understnad because of their additional fees and the uncertainy of where they may have to ship it. That being said I have never bought a figure with $10.00 shipping from e-bay. Only on matty baby!!
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Heroic Warrior
    I think it's legal. Ethical...not too sure.

And that's Matty in a nutshell. That's what we get with a company with an in house legal department. Their antics might not be the right thing to do, but for them it's legal and profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    And that's Matty in a nutshell. That's what we get with a company with an in house legal department. Their antics might not be the right thing to do, but for them it's legal and profitable.
    Maybe Matty's legal department is actually Wolfram and Hart!

Heroic Warrior
    Haha, could be. Those damn Senior partners!

Toyguru took some time to answer some more questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Ebay is different though, when you are bidding on an item, you can take the shipping cost into consideration and bid accordingly. For example if I am willing to pay $100 for an item and they charge $50 in S&H, then my max bid will be $50. You dont have that option with Matty, you buy your subs and then they charge which ever arbitrary S&H fee that they want, without us knowing in advance. Plus on Ebay, at least in the past, it was a way to get around paying for the "sale" fee that they charge, because they didnt charge it on the S&H. Well they got wise to the situation and, from what I have heard, started charging the fee on the S&H too. Toy Guru said "Shipping is not a profit center at all for Mattycollector.", but I dont think DR is Mattycollector, so could it be a profit to them? They have to make their money somehow, so if Matty went with them because they were willing to handle their merchandise for less than any other company, then they make up for it by charging higher "handling" fees. Maybe Matty has a little egg on their face for not realizing this loop hole and does not want to admit they got into a shotty bargain.

There is absolutely no reason Mattel and DR can't get a standard rate that is reasonable set in place. It's ludicrous that they act like these prices are normal. Scott uses the phrase "we're looking into it" to get the community to quiet down for a minute and move onto to something else. The My Subscription Page is another example of over promising and under delivering. We CANNOT fully manage our subs our own as promised. I Digress, in my short time on the Org, I've yet to see any improvement from Scott and his team. It's really disheartening. When they were making jokes about the delay of the My Sub page I was really put off. I'm the type that expects the truth regardless of how hard it is, but I am afraid Mattel and its employees do not share my belief.

Heroic Warrior
    And how about this time last year when he swore that dealing with DR would be a smooth ride by now because they were going to fix it after the mass sub cancellations. No one believed him then and unfortunately they were right not to. I've been trying for a week to get them to send me a damn e-label for a defective She-Ra I ordered.

Why would Matty loose money on shipping? They did not have guaranteed shipping prices. Why didnt they just charge the actual amount for shipping? Really are they so incompetent that they couldnt figure this out? I have a very hard time believing this for one second. Do they think we are all idiots?

The only way they are losing money on shipping is if the vendor contract is a stinker in disguise. After all, how can you charge different shipping rates on three figures the same weight class in the same size box (Battle Cat, Panthor, Griffin), and claim there isn't an issue with the prices?

-----
    Scott isn't the only one who writes the bios? Interesting.

-----
    So the August and September figures should be up for showing at Toyfair, if I read the shipping schedule answer correctly.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Heroic Warrior
    While of course the fact that the story on shipping changes every five minutes (and is simply absurd, for all the reasons people are pointing out) I cannot believe that more people haven't commented on the most recent answer regarding the Bio's - that "many people" write them. Is it just me, or up until now hasn't Scott taken all the "credit" for them in the past? And he didn't even answer the question - it's like he just wanted to put that out there, as another thing he is "not responsible" for.

At this point, I don't know what he *is* responsible for, other than deflecting criticism. And for Zoar sakes, GET A SPELL CHECK IN HIS BROWSER. It may be petty, but this man is representing a global corporation - every single one of his posts has some sort of error. It's just ridiculous since most browsers will do it for you these days anyway. Take a little pride.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    While of course the fact that the story on shipping changes every five minutes (and is simply absurd, for all the reasons people are pointing out) I cannot believe that more people haven't commented on the most recent answer regarding the Bio's - that "many people" write them. Is it just me, or up until now hasn't Scott taken all the "credit" for them in the past? And he didn't even answer the question - it's like he just wanted to put that out there, as another thing he is "not responsible" for.

At this point, I don't know what he *is* responsible for, other than deflecting criticism. And for Zoar sakes, GET A SPELL CHECK IN HIS BROWSER. It may be petty, but this man is representing a global corporation - every single one of his posts has some sort of error. It's just ridiculous since most browsers will do it for you these days anyway. Take a little pride.
    He's said that he writes bios and that there are other bio writers too (although all of the bios have his writing tendencies -- maybe he edits them?). According to a sign at one of the conventions, the MOTUC team at Mattel is only five or six people.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Scott if you can't reissue Teela, offer a new Teela variant outside the sub with extras and a waist swivel.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

If they are losing money on shipping they are doing it wrong. Seriously. No other company I have ever dealt with charges these kind or prices for shipping. Hell we have been selling a lot of items through ebay lately, and shipping doesn't cost me that much at all.
    I think shipping is so expensive because they have to send everything to Sweden first!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post

Sounds like all the BS about people individual collectors trying to have the line their way....well it sounds more like Ruben and the design team is trying to make MOTUC their personal line, making certain figures the way they want to see them, instead of the way the fans want to see them.
    That is no surprise given that the whole history of this line is pretty much 'What Scott wants' and paying customers be damned.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Sucks that they can't use the name "Strongarm." I'll still happily take a figure of him though.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Sucks that they can't use the name "Strongarm." I'll still happily take a figure of him though.
    Strongarm will probably be Strong-Or, like some folks were speculating in the trademarks thread.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."