View Poll Results: Why are you not buying a sub?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just don't want one.. but I could afford it if I did.

29 46.77%
  • I want to get one but I can't afford it

21 33.87%
  • I don't want one and I couldn't afford one if I did

10 16.13%
  • What's a sub?

2 3.23%

Thread: Why are you NOT buying a sub?

Why are you NOT buying a sub?

posted by gbagok in another thread

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I honestly don't doubt that the cost (combined with current salaries and/or sense of job security) is why the subs are down as much as they are. I'll bet there are far more people who wanted to sub but can't afford it than there are people who can afford it but just won't buy it because they don't like the figures. I don't have numbers to back that up, but none of us do, and I don't think pointing fingers will make it all better.
    so I thought I would try and get an answer to his question.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Two main things put me off. First is the price, but this is not Mattys fault. I don't mind the price increase in and off itself, it's the custom charged that it will cause when the figures arrive in the UK that double the price of each figure every month and make them far to expensive.
    The second thing that puts me off is figures like Snake MAA, Star Sisters, Photog, Fighting foe men etc. I would have far more passion and excitment for Filmation and NA characters used as 'filler' slots rather than such obscure and new characters. Especially the expensive three packs. I still can't sell my Star Sisters for anywhere near what I paid for them.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I'm a student from Germany - I can't afford the 2013 sub, although I really want to...
    The raised shipping costs kill it for me
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

I feel a little weird putting my business out there, but the honest truth is that I simply cannot afford a Sub. I love this line, and I've always been happy that it exists, but I just do not have that kind of disposable income.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

I'm getting the impression my remark offended people who don't want a sub but can afford it, and that wasn't the intent behind my post. I think the rising costs are much bigger factor in the apparent severity of the drop in subscriptions, and I don't think it needs to be a crucifixion of certain fans one way or the other.

why should ppl feel offended? If they don't want a sub it is up to them whether or not they could actually afford one.

As I have said I am sick of other org members telling people what to do with their money just so they can finish their collection. It's just rude

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    why should ppl feel offended? If they don't want a sub it is up to them whether or not they could actually afford one.

As I have said I am sick of other org members telling people what to do with their money just so they can finish their collection. It's just rude
    See, I wasn't tell you that, and I wanted to make that clear. Sorry, but creating a poll and quoting me like this just seemed like you think a point needed to be made to me and I don't agree.

Truth is I was among the nay sayers who said no to the sub, but some new information has been brought to light that is making me rethink not getting a sub, so I will most likely resentfully be getting one.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    See, I wasn't tell you that, and I wanted to make that clear. Sorry, but creating a poll and quoting me like this just seemed like you think a point needed to be made to me and I don't agree.
    I was just curious if there really was more people who wanted to sub but can't afford it than there are people who can afford it but just won't, you just said it so well

I was just curious if there really was more people who wanted to sub but can't afford it than there are people who can afford it but just won't, you just said it so well
    Okay then, sorry to protest and thank you for the compliment. I just didn't want to be 'that guy' saying "I want peace" and everyone thinks he means a piece of them!

How about I want a sub, but I don't want to buy every figure, because I can only afford the ones I really must have.....or only want the ones I must have.....

What does it matter if someone can afford a sub, but chooses not to buy one regardless, maybe they just don't want every single figure on their shelf....

I can't afford an entire sub, because crap shifts from month to month, and often makes supposedly inexpensive months really high suddenly, but 2013 offers less product, and 3 months under $100, and only one (supposedly) above $100 (with shipping, being the above), and every other month (8 months) $25....Can I count on Mattel to keep this like this?

I am trying to see if I can, and I just hope Mattel doesn't make me sorry I did, by putting the 3 pack, 2 pack and regular figure together in one month....even though they are supposed to be quarterly, plus hoping DR don't screw up my address change when I decide to move....like I said elsewhere the sub has too many inconsistent variables....making it really really hard to commit, when you are limited in funds.
    Recent.... Lizard Man
    Coming....
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not getting the sub because of the price increase. I can afford it, but it's not worth it to me to be paying $35-$40 per regular figure. I got the sub for the first time this year (along with the 30th) and they weren't worth it. Not saying that the figures weren't awesome (the only ones that I don't like are the Star Sisters, Spector, Snake MAA, and the Griffin), but I could have gotten all the figures I wanted day of, and I could have gotten Shadow Weaver for less than what the Star Sisters cost me. I managed to sell Spector for a five dollar loss, and I'm having little success getting anywhere near what the other three cost me. The sub isn't worth it. Also, the only reveal that I'm interested in is Fang Man, anyway. Going forward, I'll only get figures if I can get them cheap here in the Marketplace, ebay, or if Matty has one of their crazy sales.

The price increase wouldn't be as bad if Mattel didn't rape us with the shipping and tax on the shipping.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, stratosfear, and Jonas.

when you only really want a couple of figures a year, paying bloated prices is ok even if double.

Not even going to mention several other issues that come attached to a sub.

hints:
    D_GIT_L R__ER

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I'm not buying the sub because I don't want to. I don't want every single figure that is made. Money is not an issue.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I'm not buying the sub because I don't want to. I don't want every single figure that is made. Money is not an issue.
    I'm leaning towards this right here. If so this would be the first year I didn't get the sub. The big thing is the amount of figures I want vs the ones I do not want. Two years ago the amount I wanted far exceeded the ones that I didn't want. Last year the number of ones I didn't want or wasn't interested in jumped and now the 2013 sub, while there are some interesting characters, most of them are not figures I want. I looked at the list and had to ask myself seriously, would King He-Man or Filmation Randor really be missed from my collection if I didn't buy them? Unfortunately, the answer is no. The same way with at least 4 to 5 of the other figures offered. Once I went down the list deciding who I wanted and who were okay to just don't want it made no sense to get the sub. Not that the figures are bad or anything like that, it's just the amount I want vs the ones I don't make the sub not make sense in my case. It's almost 50/50. If you are getting the figures you've been waiting for in 2013 then the sub is gonna make your day. Unfortunately, I'm not in that boat so I'm not getting the sub this year.
    Maybe things will be different in 2014.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Well put.

But I would also add, from my experience, I simply just don't want to deal with DR anymore. I've had significant issues/problems with them, starting right out of the gate with the King Grayskull exclusive in 2008 all the way to 2011. Enough was just enough.

If Mattel offered these through their official site, instead of DR/Matty, I would have subbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Two main things put me off. First is the price, but this is not Mattys fault. I don't mind the price increase in and off itself, it's the custom charged that it will cause when the figures arrive in the UK that double the price of each figure every month and make them far to expensive.
    The second thing that puts me off is figures like Snake MAA, Star Sisters, Photog, Fighting foe men etc. I would have far more passion and excitment for Filmation and NA characters used as 'filler' slots rather than such obscure and new characters. Especially the expensive three packs. I still can't sell my Star Sisters for anywhere near what I paid for them.
    I more or less agree here, I hate all these random concept figures that most people have to say 'who is that?' when they are revealed. The majority don't really know these figures and I think keep them for your SDCC exlusives and where a sub is concerned fill it with at least figures from the factions that the majority want. Vintage, Filmation POP and even NA I don't mind in having NA figures even though I'm not a fan but concept art and new figures arent what I want. King He-Man is no reason for me to buy a sub! I think the sub would be better off doing as it did in the first place with just 12 monthly figures. if people want the expensive 3 packs then let them buy them seperately. However I am going to be getting a sub (just one) so as I get the figures I do want, and the price of them going up to $25 is fine, but I am very very unhappy about the shipping increase. If you want us in then you need to be fair with that Matty.
    MOST WANTED MOTUC FIGURES : MELAKTHA MADAME RAZZ FILMATION HORDAK PEEKABLUE MERMISTA QUEEN ANGELLA LIZARD MAN PERFUMA EVILSEED DREE ELLE VULTAK
    HUNGA SWEETBEE RED KNIGHT GENERAL SUNDAR GWILDOR SAUROD LOO-KEE FLUTTERINA SPINERELLA CATRA CAT FORM FILMATION SKELETOR

For me the customs fees every month simply make the sub unaffordable for me. The increase in figure cost and shipping I might be able to swallow on the 12 monthlies.... which leads me on to the reason why I don't want one if I could afford it...

Fighting Foe Men. Way too expensive with shipping and customs, for characters I do not give a damn about. I'm also weary about the $25 item (after Snake Man-at-Arms this year!)

So due to certain selections, I wouldn't sub even if I could afford it all.
    My top 10 items I'd like for 2016: 10/Stridor, 9/Granita, 8/Filmation Tung Lashor, 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Frosta, Hordak, Mer-Man, Leech & Tri-Klops Filmation heads, 5/Filmation Teela, 4/Hunga the Harpy, 3/Filmation Evil Lyn 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Same as Dragonblaster, as a student I simply cannot afford a sub after the price increases.
    Raised prices plus raised shipping plus potential customs charges even on single figures means that the figures could cost nearly double next year, that's an insane price increase.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Why i have no sub 2013?

My highscore:
    1 Figs like Spector, Cy Chop, Mo-Lar*
    2 Digital River (bad service)
    3 production failure
    4 no german/european service
    5 the price

* I like the most "special" figs like PhotoG, Grayskull Man, Procustus, Fighting Foe Man. But my tolerance has an end at this crap.
    Write slow, please. I am german.
    My Englisch is terrible. I know. SORRY!

He-Man, the hero is dead!
    King Hiss, the leader of the mighty Snake Man is dead!
    Hordak, the loooooser is dead for ever! Thanks God (Skeletor)
    Skeletor, the Emporer govern Eternia.

The best german Fan-Site

so far it seems that gbagok was wrong as he said

"I'll bet there are far more people who wanted to sub but can't afford it than there are people who can afford it but just won't buy"

but this poll seems to show the opposite. It seems there are more ppl who could afford it but simply just don't want a sub then there are ppl who can't buy a sub because they can't afford it.

also I see someone picked the jokey 4th option I wonder who that was?

so far it seems that gbagok was wrong as he said

"I'll bet there are far more people who wanted to sub but can't afford it than there are people who can afford it but just won't buy"

but this poll seems to show the opposite. It seems there are more ppl who could afford it but simply just don't want a sub then there are ppl who can't buy a sub because they can't afford it.

also I see someone picked the jokey 4th option I wonder who that was?
    28 people out of 57 responders doesn't convince me though. I also would hope it's not this bad because I don't want the line to end now.

A fan, not a nostalgic
    Too expensive for people in Europe, quality problems (sure, Stinkor having reversed shoulders was intentional. Then I presume that the Goddess shattering by itself was intentional too. And so was Roboto cracking by itself.)