Thread: How long are you expecting to live?

Hybrid View

How long are you expecting to live?

I have been a heavy smoker since I was 18, Quitting is unlikely. I also have a bad back, fall allergies, and get occasional migraines and frequent coughing spasms. These things take their toll on you.

I do eat healthy and exercise, but I'm not expecting to get past 70. It's a sobering thought my life is probably like 2/3 of the way through already, but it doesn't bother me all that much. I have no desire to be old (ie. confined to a wheel chair, unable to remember my name, etc.). Actually, I never thought I would reach 40 when I was a teenager. I guess I didn't drink as much I thought I would

What about the rest of you, how long do you think you will live?

until the day I die
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    How long are you expecting to live?
    I'm already dead.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I'm already dead.

Perhaps this should have been a poll....

Master of New Adventures!
    On-line longevity calculators are a lot of fun. I'm sixty-three and I've taken many of them and the range for my life expectancy is between 98 and 104. Last year my life insurance agent had my life insurance premiums lowered. He said it's the third time in his career he's ever done that.

It's taken a lot of conscious effort to get there -- 5,000 crunches a day five days a week, working out with heavy iron three days a week, running fifteen miles a week, an extremely healthful lifestyle and diet and the blessing of being in a relatively low stress business. I will confess that having three young children and an amazing wife is also a motivating factor.

On balance, after my brother's physical a few years ago his doctor told him that if he didn't change his eating habits, lose weight and lower his cholesterol that he would cut four or five years off his life. The doctor paused and said, "On the other hand, the last four or five years aren't worth a crap." Interesting. I suppose there are two schools of thought -- enjoy your life to the max and hope for the best -- we know all the anecdotes about people that drank half a bottle of vodka a day and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and lived to 95 -- or cut some of the excesses and increase your chances for a longer life. There's a case to be made that it's a crapshoot. After all I do, a branch could fall from a tree in my backyard tomorrow and kill me. But I'm about increasing my odds. In the final analysis it's a personal decision and I certainly respect everyone's right to do what makes them happiest. Again, for me, having gotten a late start as a father and wanting to be with my children for as many years as I can does have an effect on my decisions.

As for being confined to a wheelchair and not remembering one's name, the quality of one's life in older age is strongly influenced by what leads up to it. George Burns, Aaron Spelling, Jack Lalanne, Grandma Moses and many others are examples of people that were productive, active and intellectually sharp well into advanced age.

Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 13, 2013 at 05:05pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    On-line longevity calculators are a lot of fun. I'm sixty-three and I've taken many of them and the range for my life expectancy is between 98 and 104.
    Yikes. Better you than me, but I hope you make it

As long as I can.

I wish to make it into my late 80's, early 90's for no other reason than to hopefully know my great grand children.

I work out, diet, and enjoy the outdoors. My only vice being that I tend to drink heavy on the weekends (straight liquor most of the time). I hope to tone that down over time but I'm a jolly drunk and do enjoy it.

Master of New Adventures!
    Thanks for that, Phil. I'll respectfully suggest, however, that your point of view may change as you grow older. We tend to grasp tightly to life at any age, hoping for a few more years. There's a wonderful song from Country music singer Garth Brooks with lyrics about life that go, "Ain't it funny how we come in kicking 'Giddyup!', and go our hollering 'Whoa!' Lord we never want to be here, but we sure don't want to go."

Funny, but it kind of sums it up for most of us.

Yikes. Better you than me, but I hope you make it

Heroic Warrior
    A poll to see if BJH is dead?

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    A poll to see if BJH is dead?

Heroic Warrior
    I'm gonna say 70 for me because I'd don't want to end up in a situation where I can't do things for myself.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Thanks to clean livin' and healthy denial, I plan to live forever.