Thread: Has anyone built a house before?

Hybrid View

Has anyone built a house before?

My house hunting journey sucks.

So everyone tells me to build.

I wont lie, I'm tired of being cold in a drafty old house.

I want a modest house 1,500 or so. No more than 1,800. BUT, and this is a big one, I will NOT live in a development. I'd sooner die than do that.

Has anyone built a house before? What are some of the good things, bad things that I need to consider. Also, did teh builder give you an estimate and then it was way more? What should I know.

Apprently we are going to head to a builder in March to ask them about things. This is the design we are looking at.

http://www.familyhomeplans.com/plan_...244&src=search
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Yes, my wife and I built our 1,500 sq.ft. house on 2.5 acres of land just 6 years ago. My father-in-law was the builder (along with some of his buddies). I actually did a lot of the work myself in order to save money.

I probably wouldn't hire him to do it again because we have no warranty and anytime something came up that needed to be fixed then we paid to get it fixed. A regular builder would be obligated to fix some of the issues; however, since he is family we didn't ask him to fix it for fear it will cause a strain on the relationship.

As far as estimates. Yes, he gave us an estimate and it ended up being much higher than we were told.

I would have no worries about hiring a respected builder, but I have learned....NEVER have family build your house

Good things: We got to choose our own paint, carpet, flooring, appliances, accessories, tub, shower, deck, etc.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    My advice- find the best in the business in your area, and hire them even if they cost more.

Many of the homes in the county I live were built by the same man, who kept up working on home building up into his 80s- and he only quit because of cancer. I would think that a man in his 70s-80s who is still being hired to work on home building is known for doing good work.

My advice, BE SURE you are HAPPY with your plans. once it's built, it's alot tougher to change things.

I had no real interest in plans back in 2000 and being much younger when we built our new shore house. But now, I would have made a few changes. My sisters Room has no window facing front. only one is a small one looking at a house in the back. The up stairs showers are almost as small as lockers, and my rooms tiny windows let in no sunlight at all during the day, and then i get blasted at night with rays during sun set.

A few minor issues, but you've got to think ahead so you're happy with the final result
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    My advice, BE SURE you are HAPPY with your plans. once it's built, it's alot tougher to change things.
    IMO, this is absolutely the key. If you're building, the house should be exactly what you want it to be. Now maybe the house you linked to is exactly your guys style - then that's awesome. IMO, I think the outside is absolutely charming, but I have major problems with a lot of the inside.

As far as estimates, make sure you know exactly what you want. Its amazing how fast a house can skyrocket as you start upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    IMO, this is absolutely the key. If you're building, the house should be exactly what you want it to be. Now maybe the house you linked to is exactly your guys style - then that's awesome. IMO, I think the outside is absolutely charming, but I have major problems with a lot of the inside.

As far as estimates, make sure you know exactly what you want. Its amazing how fast a house can skyrocket as you start upgrading.
    Interesting. what would you change?

I know one thing I hate is the open concept crap. Ick. Nothing bothers me more. Rattling pans in the kitchen and someone is trying to watch tv in the livingroom just makes no sense to me.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.