Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on "older product" sales throughout 2013

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I forget which episode number it specifically was (since I listened to several of them lately), but in one of the more recent episodes of Roast Gooble Dinner, Scott was on the show and the question of the European distribution center came up.

Basically, as he explained it (if I recall correctly), is that while international customers as a whole do make up a decent portion of the overall collecting fanbase, the problem with setting up a distribution hub like this is that there aren't enough international fans concentrated in one specific area to make this feasible, so far anyway.

Not that the idea of this is completely off the table. But even when narrowing things down to Europe specifically, if I recall correctly (and someone correct me if I am remembering what was said in the pod cast incorrectly), he said that probably the largest concentration of international fans is in Germany, and they are still a much smaller overall group than the number of fans in Los Angeles, for example, and there aren't enough fans in Germany to set up a distribution hub only for them. And the problem with setting up a single distribution hub for all of Europe is that you have different countries with different currencies, postal/shipping systems, etc. He went into the logistical issues that comes up with that (I forget the specifics, but it seemed rather complicated). It's not that they've completely given up on the possibility of this happening. As he has said, they continue to explore various options. But so far there hasn't been a realistic option for this.

This isn't the kind of thing where he can just snap his fingers and make it happen in an affordable way. I know that there are a lot of reasons to be frustrated with Matty, Digital River, and to some extent ToyGuru himself, but I can't really blame him for this.

I don't blame international fans for being frustrated... especially over the hike in shipping costs. It would be nice if they could explore further options to reduce those costs. But at the same time there's only so much they can do about something like this.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I forget which episode number it specifically was (since I listened to several of them lately), but in one of the more recent episodes of Roast Gooble Dinner, Scott was on the show and the question of the European distribution center came up.

Basically, as he explained it (if I recall correctly), is that while international customers as a whole do make up a decent portion of the overall collecting fanbase, the problem with setting up a distribution hub like this is that there aren't enough international fans concentrated in one specific area to make this feasible, so far anyway.

Not that the idea of this is completely off the table. But even when narrowing things down to Europe specifically, if I recall correctly (and someone correct me if I am remembering what was said in the pod cast incorrectly), he said that probably the largest concentration of international fans is in Germany, and they are still a much smaller overall group than the number of fans in Los Angeles, for example, and there aren't enough fans in Germany to set up a distribution hub only for them. And the problem with setting up a single distribution hub for all of Europe is that you have different countries with different currencies, postal/shipping systems, etc. He went into the logistical issues that comes up with that (I forget the specifics, but it seemed rather complicated). It's not that they've completely given up on the possibility of this happening. As he has said, they continue to explore various options. But so far there hasn't been a realistic option for this.

This isn't the kind of thing where he can just snap his fingers and make it happen in an affordable way. I know that there are a lot of reasons to be frustrated with Matty, Digital River, and to some extent ToyGuru himself, but I can't really blame him for this.

I don't blame international fans for being frustrated... especially over the hike in shipping costs. It would be nice if they could explore further options to reduce those costs. But at the same time there's only so much they can do about something like this.
    Yes, and I think that this is nonsense. It`s not like they have to set up a whole new distribution center. It is already there. It's even stated on the backside of the white mailers. Furthermore, that is what the EU is there for, a single market without frontiers. And believe it or not but we all have the same currency (with one exception).
    But I guess you have to see this from the Matty point of view. Digital River can't even handle combined shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Melfis View Post
    Yes, and I think that this is nonsense. It`s not like they have to set up a whole new distribution center. It is already there. It's even stated on the backside of the white mailers. Furthermore, that is what the EU is there for, a single market without frontiers. And believe it or not but we all have the same currency (with one exception).
    But I guess you have to see this from the Matty point of view. Digital River can't even handle combined shipping.
    Yes, we are asking for too much

Quote Originally Posted by Melfis View Post
    Yes, and I think that this is nonsense. It`s not like they have to set up a whole new distribution center. It is already there.
    Mattel may have a EU distribution center, but it's probably 100% committed to retail distribution. Matty Collector would have to pay out of their own budget for the space and resources from that distribution center. As a large corporation Mattel has a specific budget for each product line such as Barbie, Monster High, Hot Wheels, Batman, etc. and they aren't going to take resources away from those big money makers to help out Matty Collector products which are not generating as much revenue and are seeing lower sales.

Heroic Warrior
    I do find it funny/interesting that all the talk about an international distribution center is (no pun intended) centered around Europe. Between this site and Matty's own forums I see a lot of southern hemisphere fans posting, as well. What is Mattel supposed to do? Cater to Europe but give the rest a kiss-off? As unfair as the international shipping seems when compared to the US experience, it's at least "universally unfair" without favoring one region over another. To someone else's point a few posts ago, the international community may not be "localized" enough to make the distribution center for direct-to-consumer products feasible. These fans in South America, Australia, New Zealand... they probably represent enough of the fanbase to tip the scales out of the cost-effective side on this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    As unfair as the international shipping seems when compared to the US experience, it's at least "universally unfair" without favoring one region over another.
    Funny... "universally unfair"

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    He's the marketing manager. The shipping rates are a MAJOR factor in deciding a purchase for online customers (people aren't stupid, you know; no matter if your website advertises a figure for $35, if the grand total almost doubles to $65 because of an outrageous shipping charge, the customer won't click "Buy"). If TG can't address such a fundamental question that thoroughly affects the marketability of the product he's trying to sell us, then who on Earth can?
    The rate that DR was using for shipping was TOO low...they were losing money...there are huge online ditribution sites with big contracts for USPS and UPS/FED EX - they change pretty close to what Matty does now. We got lucky for a few years on shipping - it is current now.

BTW - I think the postal rates in the US are too high regardless. It costs $25 approx for 2 week delivery from US to Canada with USPS but it is $23 for UPS to deliver in 2 days? Something is wrong there!
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Oh, I see. Now, will you kindly explain to us why during those 2 long years of doing second runs, never once did you do a second run of one of the MOST ESSENTIAL A-listers?
    Going back into production on SKELETOR barely sold to their expectations. If Man-At-Arms, Stratos, Beast Man, Trap Jaw and Mer-Man didn't perform to expectations, Teela might fail too.

The other thing that probably stopped Mattel from going back into production on Teela might have been the whole bobblehead thing. Fixing that would take up a development slot. There is also a lack of a waist or bracer twist, so the original flawed Teela figure might not be worth reproducing, when they could eventually make a new one.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Going back into production on SKELETOR barely sold to their expectations. If Man-At-Arms, Stratos, Beast Man, Trap Jaw and Mer-Man didn't perform to expectations, Teela might fail too.

The other thing that probably stopped Mattel from going back into production on Teela might have been the whole bobblehead thing. Fixing that would take up a development slot. There is also a lack of a waist or bracer twist, so the original flawed Teela figure might not be worth reproducing, when they could eventually make a new one.
    I agree with your point about Teela !

But now that Mattel is having very little Skeletor figures, I hope to see his Filmation variant (Skeletor 2.0) down the road, maybe after 2015 Or 2016 ! Same goes for Teela as well. But I would love to see her coming well before the said period !!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

LOOSE & INCOMPLETE UNNAMED ONE/GORPO FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We have been working with select online retailers (not major brick and morter retailers like WMT, TRU or TGT!) to offer up this product to both make room in our center for upcoming 2013 product and to help spread the word about the MOTUC line.
    Spread the word? Are you kidding me? TG himself stressed over and over again that DOS units would be so low in 2013 that some figures may not have any available for anyone else to buy. So why spread the word, so that you can make more people angry when they get to Matty and see the stock sell out in five minutes, if it's available at all? You think you can anger and stave them until SDCC and then have them sub up for 2014? Or was the plan to make plenty of units for DOS all along, and coerce people with threats of scarcity into subbing? It doesn't work both ways.

I'm still angry over the decision (or the lie if it proves to be false) to make so few units that DOS may not exist for popular characters. I quit the line over it, but I did see this thread posted on Facebook and thought I'd pop over to see who would be offered up again.

Netossa is still available

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Spread the word? Are you kidding me? TG himself stressed over and over again that DOS units would be so low in 2013 that some figures may not have any available for anyone else to buy. So why spread the word, so that you can make more people angry when they get to Matty and see the stock sell out in five minutes, if it's available at all? You think you can anger and stave them until SDCC and then have them sub up for 2014? Or was the plan to make plenty of units for DOS all along, and coerce people with threats of scarcity into subbing? It doesn't work both ways.

I'm still angry over the decision (or the lie if it proves to be false) to make so few units that DOS may not exist for popular characters. I quit the line over it, but I did see this thread posted on Facebook and thought I'd pop over to see who would be offered up again.
    Of course there was going to be DOS stock. The more figures Mattel produces the cheaper they cost to produce. If they only made enough for subscribers, then the figures would cost a lot more than they already do. That fake scare tactic Scott was using back in July was one of the main reasons why I didn't sub for 2013. I'm very happy cherry picking for now.

Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    Of course there was going to be DOS stock. The more figures Mattel produces the cheaper they cost to produce. If they only made enough for subscribers, then the figures would cost a lot more than they already do. That fake scare tactic Scott was using back in July was one of the main reasons why I didn't sub for 2013. I'm very happy cherry picking for now.
    Either TG was using dishonest tactics to coerce me to sub, or there truly weren't going to be much in the way of DOS stock in 2013. My decision in either case came out to be drop the line. It was the last straw for me. I guess my point here is that yet again, there are deep contradictions in Mattel communications. There is no weight to any of the words coming from Mattel. They sculpt their words to support whatever story they want us to believe on whatever particular they they open their mouths/clickity-clack their keyboards. And if things change and they want us to believe something different tomorrow, well they'll just change their words again.

Whatever Mattel.

Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    Well if the whole of 2013 is easy to cherry pick, this will be the one and only time I will sub. Next year I'll just cherry pick the ones from my top 10 list for the most part. The main reason I subbed was because we were told some items won't have any DOS stock. If that does indeed prove a lie, I shall never trust Scott Neitlich again and will pick up Glimmer, Scorpia and Madame Razz for definate (with the rest being hit and miss whether I buy them or not)
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Sssqueeze, 5/Peekablue, 4/Hunga the Harpy, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Netossa is still available
    Yep... She is still available, but I'm pretty confident that neither Ram Man nor Jitsu will last longer than one hour.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Heroic Warrior
    I'm amused that it's time to spread the word now that there's very little stock left to sell to new customers.

I think we all deserve Teela 2 if we can't have Teela 1 back. Sooner rather than later preferably - to go with the armour from the last Weapons Pak.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I'm amused that it's time to spread the word now that there's very little stock left to sell to new customers.

I think we all deserve Teela 2 if we can't have Teela 1 back. Sooner rather than later preferably - to go with the armour from the last Weapons Pak.
    While they have the Battleground Teela variant in stock, no chance Filmation Teela probably would have been a better choice for a Teela variant. Oh well...
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Sssqueeze, 5/Peekablue, 4/Hunga the Harpy, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    I agree with your point about Teela !

But now that Mattel is having very little Skeletor figures, I hope to see his Filmation variant (Skeletor 2.0) down the road, maybe after 2015 Or 2016 ! Same goes for Teela as well. But I would love to see her coming well before the said period !!
    We do need another Teela. If it's Teela 2.0, I'm fine with that.
    I bought an extra BG Teela so I could have a blond and a red-haired Teela, but my plan was contingent on regular Teela being reissued. So far, I've been thwarted!

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Sucks about Fisto. I felt really burned not getting him, when I had pre-purchased 2 subscriptions in order to have him in the first place. Now I have to go to Ebay to buy him.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Heroic Warrior
    Can't believe it. Core figures not performing enough well and they sold out like a bolt. Look at Teela: I'm sure that if they put it on sale ten times she would go sold out for ten times. But, OK, maybe it's true that the core figures didn't satisfied the selling expectations, but, hell, how much high are these expectactions??? If the target is selling 100.000 Teela in the world of course this is something that will never happen! This line is not an high demanded one: MOTUC is not Transformers or Barbie. This line core is based on historical fans. Force them to buy Teela at €150 (euro not dollars! I swear, this is last week auction) is more than crazy, it is completely insane. They really should review their selling policy. Mattel CAN NOT applies its large scale sale policy on smaller scale contest, overall when it does only when it is matter of production, release and prices, but not when it is matter of customer care, quality control and production quality. THIS will kill the line, not price increase or whatever.
    Last edited by BlueHeaven; January 17, 2013 at 06:39am.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHeaven View Post
    Can't believe it. Core figures not performing enough well and they sold out like a bolt. Look at Teela: I'm sure that if they put it on sale ten times she would go sold out for ten times. But, OK, maybe it's true that the core figures didn't satisfied the selling expectations, but, hell, how much high are these expectactions??? If the target is selling 100.000 Teela in the world of course this is something that will never happen! This line is not an high demanded one: MOTUC is not Transformers or Barbie. This line core is based on historical fans. Force them to buy Teela at €150 (euro not dollars! I swear, this is last week auction) is more than crazy, it is completely insane. They really should review their selling policy. Mattel CAN NOT applies its large scale sale policy on smaller scale contest, overall when it does only when it is matter of production, release and prices, but not when it is matter of customer care, quality control and production quality. THIS will kill the line, not price increase or whatever.
    I belive they do this on purpose, makeing certain figures rare and hard to come. by like Teela fisto.and im sure Ram man will be next. is a way they measure intrest,as well as boost sales of any remaining stock that they are sitting on.

Witch they allways do im sure they still have some first issue teelas and they are waiting for the price to go even higher.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Well if the whole of 2013 is easy to cherry pick, this will be the one and only time I will sub. Next year I'll just cherry pick the ones from my top 10 list for the most part. The main reason I subbed was because we were told some items won't have any DOS stock. If that does indeed prove a lie, I shall never trust Scott Neitlich again and will pick up Glimmer, Scorpia and Madame Razz for definate (with the rest being hit and miss whether I buy them or not)
    You and I are in the exact same boat buddy. I was a happy DOS customer until I was scared into beleiving that the line was in jepordy for 2013 and subbed up. Sucks because there are only 2 figs announced so far that I actually want. Buyers remorse already...and if there are a ton of Ram Man up for DOS, I may consider cancelling my credit card, as Scott said in one of his video's begging for 2013 sub sales that "the only way to get Ram Man was to buy a Sub".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Sucks about Fisto. I felt really burned not getting him, when I had pre-purchased 2 subscriptions in order to have him in the first place. Now I have to go to Ebay to buy him.
    Good luck. Notice the ebay stock of Fisto is scarse, and what is there is outragously priced. If they didn't grosly underproduce him, why is secondary market stock nearly non existant?? Really dropped the ball on Fisto; It's my opinion that they should do a reissue run out of good faith due to screwing so many Subbers out of him.

Teela is really needed !
    2.0 will be very nice :-).

Quote Originally Posted by DrumMaster View Post
    Teela is really needed !
    2.0 will be very nice :-).
    With 200X long hair head sculpt
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Heroic Warrior
    I think they can measure interest better by sale numbers than price raising on eBay.
    And what should be the purpose of waiting Teela price increase while keeping some stocks? ?__? You mean Mattel is one of the scalpers on eBay hiding behind a false nickname?

Quote Originally Posted by braxsis364 View Post
    I belive they do this on purpose, makeing certain figures rare and hard to come. by like Teela fisto.and im sure Ram man will be next. is a way they measure intrest,as well as boost sales of any remaining stock that they are sitting on.

Witch they allways do im sure they still have some first issue teelas and they are waiting for the price to go even higher.