Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrow on the CW

Arrow on the CW

Sorry if there was another thread but I searched and couldn't find one. Watched the pilot tonight and thought it was good but not what I was expecting. I was thinking Smallville spin-off but it has a different, darker feel. Stephen Amell is pretty good though it will take me some time to get used to him as Oliver Queen as I was a huge Smallville fan. Then again, Justin Hartley also played Aquaman in the unaired pilot of that spinoff (which I really liked btw.) so had it taken off who knows who woulda been the Green Arrow to begin with. Anyway, I'll probably give the show a few more episodes before fully committing but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Sorry if there was another thread but I searched and couldn't find one. Watched the pilot tonight and thought it was good but not what I was expecting. I was thinking Smallville spin-off but it has a different, darker feel. Stephen Amell is pretty good though it will take me some time to get used to him as Oliver Queen as I was a huge Smallville fan. Then again, Justin Hartley also played Aquaman in the unaired pilot of that spinoff (which I really liked btw.) so had it taken off who knows who woulda been the Green Arrow to begin with. Anyway, I'll probably give the show a few more episodes before fully committing but so far so good.
    smallville disappointed on so many levels, yet i stuck with it for ten years. I don't think i'd do the same for arrow despite not having watched the pilot. Fool me once, shame on you type of thing . hopefully it's good
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

I too gave smallville 10 years, but I really enjoyed the majority of them. I'm also digging the Season 11 comics. Arrow looks promising as far as a darker grittier superhero show but who knows.....these type of shows are pretty fickle (Birds of Prey, The Cape, No Ordinary Family). Hopefully it stays entertaining and isn't another flash in the pan.

As a green arrow fan I'm super excited that he got his own TV show!
    Haven't seen it yet, but I do hope that it lasts a while, (especially now that the comic book is garbage).

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I never watched Smallville, I most likely will not watch this.

I'll wait a bit to see if the show gets renewed for a second season. If it does, I'll give it a shot.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

It's very much NOT Smallville much to my suprise. It has a much more realistic feel....like the Nolan/Batman kinda superhero. And I agree Croaker....the new comic sucks.

I have seen the pilot for this and I think it is FAR superior to Smallville. He-Dad is right in that it is more like the Nolanverse Batman in that it is grim, gritty and with the right level of action and violence (the only difference being I actually like this show).

So if you are expecting to see a Green Arrow version of Smallville then you will be disappointed. Also why would you want a Green Arrow version of Smallville when he was in Smallville?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I have seen the pilot for this and I think it is FAR superior to Smallville. He-Dad is right in that it is more like the Nolanverse Batman in that it is grim, gritty and with the right level of action and violence (the only difference being I actually like this show).

So if you are expecting to see a Green Arrow version of Smallville then you will be disappointed. Also why would you want a Green Arrow version of Smallville when he was in Smallville?
    I agree with you, especially now after seeing the show....it's just what I was expecting from the CW....and has much as I enjoyed Smallville I was pleasantly suprised to see the grime and gritt. It's refreshing.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I really liked this show! I was fearing that show would be Smallville, but it features young adults in a Nolan-type universe than teens in a Smallville setting. This guy is Green Arrow right NOW.

Black Canar--er, Laurel Lance is a hottie.

One issue that I have...did he learn computer hacking on the island too?

This show makes me feel much better about Amazon now.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Saw it and LOVED it!!!
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

I decided to watch the pilot and thoroughly enjoyed it. The guy they picked for Ollie was perfect. Its great to see other DC heroes not named Batman and Superman given more exposure. Now if only Green Lantern and Flash can make comebacks.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF

Really enjoyed the pilot and look forward to this series. With the baddies they have coming in for the show it has me excited for what lies ahead. I loved Smallville and had to stop myself from comparing the two shows while watching. It was a bit distracting. The cast thus far is a great fit. Now I have something to look to on Wednesday nights =)
    Looking for 200x figures MOC: Stratos Claw Attack. Send PM with offers.

Great Traders: Bobubott, bigassbuzz, umbloo, vancak, CRAZYMOTUFAN, CringerMyBestFriend, Amberbratt, JustariusX, Zodak74, Shadowsnake, SirBushnell, air23cnhit, skeletorsambora, Daviono1080, Brett, aschoenbart.

Check out www.hyveofvillainy.com

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I like what I have seen so far.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I enjoyed the first episode more than I expected I would. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

If you missed the pilot, it's up on the CW website. You can watch it without commercials there.

I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot. I'll definitely check out a few more episodes to see how it goes.
    A couple of things I liked about the first episode:
    - The Nolan-esque feeling of the show.
    - He kills bad guys. No "I only knock them unconscious, because that could never backfire" for me, thanks.
    - A DC superhero who isn't Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman... on TV? Excellent!

My only complaints were...

1) Why didn't he kill Adam Hunt? Like comicsalliance.com pointed out, it's a little weird that Arrow kills a dozen people in the episode, but the one guy whose name he marks out of a book, he just robbed.

2) It's a good thing nobody noticed the arrow stuck in the wall, huh? The one with the big metal tip and blinking lights. The one that got shot right by Adam Hunt. You know, this one:

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    I enjoyed it very much, I haven't read any comics with him in it but still it was really good
    Etheria will be mine!

I saw a commercial for this and was like oh I need to check that out, and then I forgot when it was on

I dont read the comics so not sure I will enjoy the show. Or maybe I will enjoy it more cause I dont read the comics, ya know how that goes.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I just watched it and thought it was pretty good. There were some bad moments, and yes, it is VERY much like Nolan's Batman, so much so that I think part of his speech where he talks about what he must become to take care of his city may have been DIRECTLY COPIED from Batman Begins!

I VERY much agree with your second spoiler, ksensor. And there were a couple moments like that and others that made me roll my eyes, but it's a CW show, so that was to be expected. Oh...and how about that beard at the beginning?! That was sadly fake looking.

I do like the look of the show and think it is very, VERY well cast! I'll probably give it a couple more episodes...if I'm not too busy.

OH! And my absolute biggest gripe is why in the HELL are they calling it StarLING City?! That's TERRIBLE. What's wrong with Star City?! I can't tell you how much that got under my skin.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; October 17, 2012 at 03:35pm.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    OH! And my absolute biggest gripe is why in the HELL are they calling it StarLING City?! That's TERRIBLE. What's wrong with Star City?! I can't tell you how much that got under my skin.
    Mentioned that to my wife just today. It's my only gripe with the show thus far. If Star City was too corny Starling isn't that much better, ugh. Although I do live near Sterling, Ma lol Hopefully it'll grow on me... probably not =)
    Looking for 200x figures MOC: Stratos Claw Attack. Send PM with offers.

Great Traders: Bobubott, bigassbuzz, umbloo, vancak, CRAZYMOTUFAN, CringerMyBestFriend, Amberbratt, JustariusX, Zodak74, Shadowsnake, SirBushnell, air23cnhit, skeletorsambora, Daviono1080, Brett, aschoenbart.

Check out www.hyveofvillainy.com

I actually enjoyed the first two episodes.

So, is Dinah Lance/Black Canary an actual Green Arrow character, or did they just shoehorn her into this series? I never read the Green Arrow comics, so I don't actually know much of him outside of Justice League and whatnot.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    I actually enjoyed the first two episodes.

So, is Dinah Lance/Black Canary an actual Green Arrow character, or did they just shoehorn her into this series? I never read the Green Arrow comics, so I don't actually know much of him outside of Justice League and whatnot.
    Black Canary's a character in her own right, and has been since the '40s, but yes - starting in the satellite era of the JLA, Green Arrow & Black Canary have been a couple (and were even married, pre DCnU.) Canary has ties to the JLA, the JSA, and the Birds of Prey, but is very much a partner character to Ollie.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Epizo1 View Post
    Mentioned that to my wife just today. It's my only gripe with the show thus far. If Star City was too corny Starling isn't that much better, ugh. Although I do live near Sterling, Ma lol Hopefully it'll grow on me... probably not =)
    I was actually wondering why they didn't just call it Sterling--at least then they could have done some word-play with him cleaning up the tarnished city...not necessarily GOOD word-play, but it would be SOMEthing.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

This series is off to a great start so far for me. I have enjoyed both episodes and I like how they are still doing flashbacks to when Oliver was on the island. If they keep this format to tell his past and present stories, this show will do quite well I think .

YES! YES! YES! Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Man, this show is killing it. It's everything Smallville could have been but wasn't. Instead of having Olliver and Laurel play the "will they/won't they" game for seven seasons and occasionally dropping a comic-ISH character in randomly, Arrow is going full-on balls-to-the-wall universe building. In the first season and a half, we have already gotten Arrow (obviously), Slade Wilson, Count Vertigo, Malcolm Merlyn, Black Canary, Roy "Red Arrow" Harper, the League of Assassins, Ra's Al Ghul, Deadshot, Cyrus "Solomon Grundy" Gold, Amanda Waller, Brother Blood, HYVE, Barry doggone Allen...the list goes on and on. And they are actually pulling it off. Never in a million years would I have thought the CW (or anybody) would have been able to develop a living DC universe with all these moving parts and actually make it entertaining.

And it's not just the in-your-face stuff. They are doing the little things right. Showing the Watchtower as just a hiding place for Black Canary. An item stolen in yesterday's show was made by Kord Industries. Deadshot flees to Bludhaven in season 1. So much stuff that comic fans will love is just done in a matter-of-fact fashion.

And in an even more subtle fashion, there is stuff like last night: Felicity obviously has a thing for Barry-and is wearing red (with gold accessories) the whole episode. Oh, and I lol'd at Barry being late for everything. Just great stuff.

I like the show a lot. Can you tell?
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    I like the show a lot. Can you tell?
    Me too! I think it's the best show on television right now. LOVE it!!!
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778